Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,873 members, 7,798,930 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 12:28 PM

Opinion: Nigerian Films Are Getting Better - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Opinion: Nigerian Films Are Getting Better (9939 Views)

Three Nigerian Films In Top Competition At FILM AFRICA 2016 In London / Top 10 Nigerian Films Waiting To Be Made And The Recommended Directors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Opinion: Nigerian Films Are Getting Better by lynx200(m): 9:12am On Jan 15, 2015
Alright, we know its still some way from realization but with what I have seen in the last 6 weeks there is some real hope.

First of all I apologize for being AWOL for some time.(Prostrating on floor people) I had a lot of work to deal with but I promise not to abandon you all like that again. That’s one of my new year resolutions. (The other one- To get better in all areas of my life including financial independence)

Normally when I go to the cinemas I watch mainly the Hollywood fare. Most of the Nigerian movie were hardly promoted so when I saw them with the typical middle class Nigerian mentality I shunned them as most of them were badly done and looked like Alaba films ported onto cinema. (Is it easy to throway money on rubbish film).

Before November I had only watch one Nigerian film that I wasn’t involved in acting or writing, the meeting by Mildred Okwo. (I had the chance but choose GI joe instead. Still regret it) But with the hype surrounding Kunle Afolayan’s October 1, (Heard people overpaid to see it on its first day) I just had to see it. So off I went to Filmhouse cinema, Surulere. (The ticket was N500 before 6pm on weekdays. Now its N600. I no get N1500 to see film as a true Ijebu boy)

The movie set some days before independence day in 1960 proved to be value for money and I couldn’t expect less having worked with Kunle on the figurine. Picture quality, sound and story line all made sense. The story of a serial killer in a village that instigates the posting of a police officer from Eastern Nigeria by his British bosses was well told. I got to hand it to Kunle Afolayan for his business savvy as I heard he has made the production money (300 million naira) back. (What did you expect from a former banker?)

Then I hard about a comedy film Head gone by Dare Fasasi, the musician called Sound sultan. The logline of a bus driver losing his patients headed for the psychiatric asylum on the road and then picking up unsuspecting innocent people to present as mad people hooked me. So I had to set aside Hunger games mocking jay part 1 and see this one.

It was a terrific experience. I had never seen so many Nigerians laughing all through the course of the film (Most people go to pose in cinemas in these parts) and the hall was so full some people had to sit on the stairs. The technical quality was great as well as the story. For once I got to see some quality acting. Maybe the comedians in the movie (Ali Baba, Apororo: this guy was crazy. Damn!) made it worthwhile. Basorge Tariah, 2face (Ok it was only a cameo) and even IK (Yes the one who anchors big brother) were very good. My only fault with sound sultan was the lack of publicity. Anyway its still on in some cinemas.

Then there was 30 days in Atlanta. I had thought this Ayo Makun (AY) produced flick would be another home video ported onto the big screen. But the number of weeks it stayed on in cinemas got me curious. (Even October 1 petered out by November) A few other Nigerian films like Invasion 1897, antique and a place in the stars came and went but 30 days was still going strong and even showing twice daily in most cinemas.

Okay I had to see this one. I tried watching it during christmas but tickets were sold out. (O ti O! A Nigerian film, how come?) Finally got the chance to see it a week ago at Silverbird cinemas Ikeja. (It was terrific Tuesday so we got free popcorn and drinks. But the coke no cold at all. Silverbird WHY?)

In another packed cinema hall (When I watched the meeting we were less than 30 in the hall) the story of Akpos winning a ticket to go to Atlanta with his cousin kept us laughing. Akpos jokes are well known here in Nigeria so think unexposed Waffi guy going to America and surprised at the way they do things there. As the other two the technical quality was good. The story was well written. (Hint to alaba boys. You can weld a love story with other story concepts instead of killing us with unromantic romance videos) No wonder the film has made at least N130 million naira to become not only the highest selling Nigerian cinema movie but one of the highest selling. (Avengers and Jame Bond’s Skyfall sold N160 million) Don’t be surprised that it beats it.

With these 3 films my hope in Nigerian movie making has been rekindled. There are people who are holding the tourh for good film making. Now if only we could find a way for as many people to watch it so that they can make a decent return.

http://www.jovibabs.com/nigerian-films-are-getting-better/.

People let's know if you agree or disagree with me.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Opinion: Nigerian Films Are Getting Better by Nobody: 11:20am On Jan 15, 2015
If you're not ready to post your full writeup here, carry it and go!!!

[EDIT]

Good observation. With a little formatting the writeup would become more interesting.

Still a true observation. Nigerian movies(new nollywood) have gotten better.

3 Likes

Re: Opinion: Nigerian Films Are Getting Better by nellynwandu(m): 3:39pm On Feb 04, 2015
lynx200:
Even though I work in the Nigerian movie industry I don't like watching their products. Having seen so many terrible scripts and sloppy work processes on set as an actor and a writer has strengthened this thought so when I go to the cinemas or watch movies online I avoid Nigerian movies like a plague. (There are times I even avoid works that I have written as most times the producers don't translate it well on screen. I would rather have the vision I had when writing them.) But in the last 2 months I have seen 3 Nigerian movies at the cinema which have filled me with hope for the future. Check out my writeup on them here at http://www.jovibabs.com/nigerian-films-are-getting-better/. People let's know if you agree or disagree with me.

Many would be Nollywood practitioners avoid watching Nollywood movies. That's a mistake. How can you correct the mistakes of Nollywood filmmakers if you don't know and note them? I have resolved that before I engage any Actor in any serious role in my project, they must demonstrate strong knowledge and passion for Nollywood and movies in general. No one has a right to benefit from what they don't know about or love.

4 Likes

Re: Opinion: Nigerian Films Are Getting Better by sholay2011(m): 11:51pm On Feb 04, 2015
nellynwandu:

Many would be Nollywood practitioners avoid watching Nollywood movies. That's a mistake. How can you correct the mistakes of Nollywood filmmakers if you don't know and note them? I have resolved that before I engage any Actor in any serious role in my project, they must demonstrate strong knowledge and passion for Nollywood and movies in general. No one has a right to benefit from what they don't know about or love.
While you have a point, they should balance such with watching QUALITY Hollywood movies to know HOW to correct those 'mistakes' spotted in Nollywood movies.

Also, if you are not a subscriber to quality Hollywood movies, you may not even know what's wrong with Nollywood. One would just mistake mediocre for almost-best. An example is screen acting.

6 Likes

Re: Opinion: Nigerian Films Are Getting Better by lynx200(m): 8:59am On Feb 05, 2015
sholay2011:

While you have a point, they should balance such with watching QUALITY Hollywood movies to know HOW to correct those 'mistakes' spotted in Nollywood movies.
Also, if you are not a subscriber to quality Hollywood movies, you may not even know what's wrong with Nollywood. One would just mistake mediocre for almost-best. An example is screen acting.

You are so right Sholay. We have to follow best practices in what we do but all we do in this country is embrace mediocrity. For your information I heard that the major US film studios are plotting to come here to set up production and distribution facilities. Its high time we shape up. I like what the new nollywood guys are doing but the distribution and lack of cinemas is a major problem. Maybe if the Video on demand offerings improve they could be a good way for filmmakers to monetize their products.

2 Likes

Re: Opinion: Nigerian Films Are Getting Better by VillageBoi(m): 8:40pm On Feb 05, 2015
nellynwandu:

That's a mistake. How can you correct the mistakes of Nollywood filmmakers if you don't know and note them?

True that. It's just like one has to know the 'rules' of filmmaking to be able to 'break' them. Have a look at 'Ida' with such 'unconventional' framimg...
Re: Opinion: Nigerian Films Are Getting Better by sholay2011(m): 8:57pm On Feb 05, 2015
VillageBoi:

True that. It's just like one has to know the 'rules' of filmmaking to be able to 'break' them. Have a look at 'Ida' with such 'unconventional' framimg...
Oga, how far? This 'Ida' has been scooping gongs all over the place for 'Best Foreign film'. Even though I'm not a filmmaker, explain this 'unconventional' framing you mentioned and what makes the film great. It's about sisters (nuns) right?
Re: Opinion: Nigerian Films Are Getting Better by VillageBoi(m): 10:35pm On Feb 05, 2015
sholay2011:

Oga, how far? This 'Ida' has been scooping gongs all over the place for 'Best Foreign film'. Even though I'm not a filmmaker, explain this 'unconventional' framing you mentioned and what makes the film great. It's about sisters (nuns) right?

Sholay how now? Me I just dey.

First, are you aware of rule of 'thirds'? It's pretty much the basis of all films, photography and paintings... Anyway here is a quick video on 'thirds'

Rule Of Thirds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOMLAAsUfJI

Now this is pretty much all before jumping into the 'Golden ratio', symmetry, repetition and rhythm and so on.

Anyway the filmmakers of 'Ida' have a lot of shots that would be considered 'odd'. Hopefully you can see the '52 Cinematic shots from Ida' - http://vashivisuals.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/IDA_COMP.jpg

Another interesting 'composition' video is that of the film 'Drive'... hopefully i can find a Youtube copy because I know it is on vimeo.

Drive (2011) - The Quadrant System

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsI8UES59TM
Re: Opinion: Nigerian Films Are Getting Better by tobozi: 10:01am On Feb 10, 2015

Re: Opinion: Nigerian Films Are Getting Better by free2ryhme: 9:28am On Feb 12, 2015
angry angry

nollywood na child' play
Re: Opinion: Nigerian Films Are Getting Better by j4sure(m): 9:29am On Feb 12, 2015
ok

Well they are trying now. When they shoot you now see blood and smoke coming from the Gun. But gat a long way to go. Apart from the Calibre of Ramson Noah,Olu Jacobs,Segun Arinze,Uje Elechi ,Yemi Solade etcwho had really gone far in the game

Re: Opinion: Nigerian Films Are Getting Better by nanyya5000(f): 9:29am On Feb 12, 2015
They are improving!
Re: Opinion: Nigerian Films Are Getting Better by chamboy(m): 9:29am On Feb 12, 2015
Part of GOODLUCK Jonathan's Achievements

3 Likes

Re: Opinion: Nigerian Films Are Getting Better by Babaneh(m): 9:31am On Feb 12, 2015
They are trying but their best is not enough...
Until they stop pointing gun at themselves before they die...
Re: Opinion: Nigerian Films Are Getting Better by hotgunz(m): 9:31am On Feb 12, 2015
Last tym I viewed home video was 2009 so I can give u my opinion
Re: Opinion: Nigerian Films Are Getting Better by tobechi74: 9:34am On Feb 12, 2015
Lets praise them
Re: Opinion: Nigerian Films Are Getting Better by LesbianBoy(m): 9:35am On Feb 12, 2015
Nonsense!
Re: Opinion: Nigerian Films Are Getting Better by killercute16(m): 9:35am On Feb 12, 2015
Better
Re: Opinion: Nigerian Films Are Getting Better by globalworld(m): 9:35am On Feb 12, 2015
Good

Re: Opinion: Nigerian Films Are Getting Better by lordprosh(m): 9:36am On Feb 12, 2015
D improvement is happening but on a slow pace ..but till it happen. Am still with Hollywood grin cool
Re: Opinion: Nigerian Films Are Getting Better by victorazy(m): 9:37am On Feb 12, 2015
Go and watch Idemili u will know we have good headed film makers.
Re: Opinion: Nigerian Films Are Getting Better by meshacha1: 9:40am On Feb 12, 2015
Which aspect is it getting better?
Is it on shooting, crime act?
Abeg e
Home video is for Nigerian girls
While foreign is for Naija guys

1 Like

Re: Opinion: Nigerian Films Are Getting Better by Nobody: 9:40am On Feb 12, 2015
Nice movie
Re: Opinion: Nigerian Films Are Getting Better by Nobody: 9:41am On Feb 12, 2015
kkkk
Re: Opinion: Nigerian Films Are Getting Better by kingjohnny(m): 9:42am On Feb 12, 2015
Well that is the way it is
Re: Opinion: Nigerian Films Are Getting Better by frodobee: 9:43am On Feb 12, 2015
I find NL to be a source of hope for the creative arts. We will get there someday. There is hope for this country, though Alaba people are not helping issues, they pay peanuts for good jobs.
Re: Opinion: Nigerian Films Are Getting Better by elobyobi: 9:44am On Feb 12, 2015
Yeah, they're really upping their game. More power to their elbows. Until Buhari comes and bans Nollywood....except of course the Hausa section grin
Quote me and die!!!

1 Like

Re: Opinion: Nigerian Films Are Getting Better by GodsKate: 9:46am On Feb 12, 2015
Keep up with news/events/business/research/.... at lower cost:---
Mtn&Etisalat data available@cheaper rates for your mobile phones&via modem.
(Mtn1gb=N1200/1300, etisalat1gb=N1400/1500).
Call/SMS/Whatspp GK on 08032719286 to order.
Re: Opinion: Nigerian Films Are Getting Better by clefstone(m): 9:47am On Feb 12, 2015
Agreed
Re: Opinion: Nigerian Films Are Getting Better by Nobody: 9:50am On Feb 12, 2015
This
writeup
is
as
uninteresting
as
nollywood
movies.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Gulder Ultimate Search Soundtrack / BBA Stargame: Goldie Up For Eviction - Do We Save Her Or Not? / Big Brother Hotshot Shower Time

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.