Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,370 members, 7,781,011 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 07:25 AM

Why Are Some Men Fascinated By Youth? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Why Are Some Men Fascinated By Youth? (1985 Views)

Help: I'm Yoruba But Fascinated By Igbo Girls. / How To Make Her Fascinated / Why Do Some Men Behave This Way...... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Some Men Fascinated By Youth? by cao(f): 6:28pm On Jan 15, 2015
So the day before yesterday, this (the attached pictures, quote and link) appeared on my Tumblr dash.

Charts from OKCupid, showing how straight women and men rate each other based on ages. For women, the men they find most attractive are roughly their own age. For men, the women they find most attractive are roughly the same age - 20 to 23 - regardless of the age of the man.

Link: http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/christian-rudder-dataclysm-okcupid/

Then, I remembered the quote made by Matthew McConaughey's character David Wooderson, from the film Dazed & Confused, about high school girls:
That's what I like about these high school girls; I get older, they stay the same age.

So it would appear that if you're a woman over 22 looking for a man, then you shouldn't really bother with online dating, since the odds are already stacked against you. You always notice a pattern with some rich men, especially when they reach the cliched midlife crisis, where the wife is replaced with a newer and younger model (pun not intended, but it still works either way).

Of course, it's not only rich men, with the attached charts, it would seem that it's a general consensus. Of course, love can be a funny thing - the heart wants what the heart wants, but it would appear that some folks think with their eyes first.

So my question is, why are some men fascinated by youth?

3 Shares

Re: Why Are Some Men Fascinated By Youth? by thiefnubu(m): 6:29pm On Jan 15, 2015
All this grammar and diagram because of toto? shocked

Since when did konji become this complicated? embarassed

Op, you really need to calm down...

Life no hard reach all this one na cry

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Some Men Fascinated By Youth? by unibenstudent1(m): 6:30pm On Jan 15, 2015
K ,but don't to takke life too seriously.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Some Men Fascinated By Youth? by Maamin(m): 6:36pm On Jan 15, 2015
*Yawns*...Op, wat again were u saying? undecided

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Men Fascinated By Youth? by merit12(f): 6:45pm On Jan 15, 2015
Wait lemme ask buhari

Op please I'm looking for seun,did you see him?
Re: Why Are Some Men Fascinated By Youth? by cao(f): 7:04pm On Jan 15, 2015
merit12:
Wait lemme ask buhari

Op please I'm looking for seun,did you see him?
I don't know, he's probably around here somewhere.

Maamin:
*Yawns*...Op, wat again were u saying? undecided
Why should I bother repeating myself if you're too tired to listen? Go to sleep, then look at it with fresh eyes.

Tinubu:
All this grammar and diagram because of toto? shocked

Since when did konji become this complicated? embarassed

Op, you really need to calm down...

Life no hard reach all this one na cry
unibenstudent1:
K ,but don't to takke life too seriously.
I never said I was up at night stressed about it, I simply asked a question, since the pattern seems to be rather obvious.
Re: Why Are Some Men Fascinated By Youth? by Maamin(m): 7:15pm On Jan 15, 2015
cao:

Why should I bother repeating myself if you're too tired to listen? Go to sleep, then look at it with fresh eyes.

*clears throat*..are you talking to me?..*looks around profusely*

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Men Fascinated By Youth? by petra22(f): 7:18pm On Jan 15, 2015
I don't this is applicable to Nigerian men tho undecided
Re: Why Are Some Men Fascinated By Youth? by fattybombom: 7:27pm On Jan 15, 2015
I didn't understand the question, analysis, and quotations displayed by the op, but let me take my position first, because I smell FP.
Re: Why Are Some Men Fascinated By Youth? by Nobody: 7:30pm On Jan 15, 2015
Your pattern is not accurate.
Re: Why Are Some Men Fascinated By Youth? by cao(f): 7:43pm On Jan 15, 2015
Maamin:

*clears throat*..are you talking to me?..*looks around profusely*
Are you awake now?

fattybombom:
I didn't understand the question, analysis, and quotations displayed by the op, but let me take my position first, because I smell FP.
Fair enough, sometimes I get carried away, forgetting that nobody can see the conversation I'm having in my head. I really doubt this will make FP.

Anywho, I shall try to explain slowly. From the charts, it would appear that guys, or to be precise those guys, seem to find young women (in this case 20-23 year olds) attractive, regardless of their own age. In other words, those guys (aged 20-50) all found 20-23 year old women the most attractive.

The quote from the film, simply showed that the character - a man in his early twenties, who was dating high school girls - would continue to date high school girls as he grew older.

petra22:
I don't this is applicable to Nigerian men tho undecided
True, it would seem that way, but if you look at our past, you would find a pattern. Both my grandfathers had more than one wife. My maternal grandfather had 4 & my paternal one had 3, each subsequent wife was younger than the previous one. In fact, the youngest one from my paternal grandfather might be a few years older than his first born.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Men Fascinated By Youth? by Maamin(m): 8:09pm On Jan 15, 2015
Are you awake now?

Did I tell you that I was asleep? undecided

Fair enough, sometimes I get carried away, forgetting that nobody can see the conversation I'm having in my head. I really doubt this will make FP.

Anywho, I shall try to explain slowly. From the charts, it would appear that guys, or to be precise those guys, seem to find young women (in this case 20-23 year olds) attractive, regardless of their own age. In other words, those guys (aged 20-50) all found 20-23 year old women the most attractive.

The quote from the film, simply showed that the character - a man in his early twenties, who was dating high school girls - would continue to date high school girls as he grew older.

So?....what are you really driving at?

Damn! I Dont understand the kind of thread people create these days angry
Re: Why Are Some Men Fascinated By Youth? by cao(f): 8:24pm On Jan 15, 2015
Maamin:

Well, it was implied with your yawning, I assumed you hadn't had your beauty sleep at the time. I'm sorry my thread making skills are abysmal. Unfortunately, I don't excel at making lists & telling folks they should be a certain way. That seems to be what all the Romance FP posts are always going on about.
Re: Why Are Some Men Fascinated By Youth? by Maamin(m): 10:56pm On Jan 15, 2015
cao:

Well, it was implied with your yawning, I assumed you hadn't had your beauty sleep at the time. I'm sorry my thread making skills are abysmal. Unfortunately, I don't excel at making lists & telling folks they should be a certain way. That seems to be what all the Romance FP posts are always going on about.

And In your quest to be different, you end up making no sense...looks like I need that beauty sleep right now. *yawns and exits thread*
Re: Why Are Some Men Fascinated By Youth? by cao(f): 11:05pm On Jan 15, 2015
Maamin:

And In your quest to be different, you end up making no sense...looks like I need that beauty sleep right now. *yawns and exits thread*
Glad to be of service.
Re: Why Are Some Men Fascinated By Youth? by fattybombom: 11:19pm On Jan 15, 2015
Maamin:

my brother I tire oo!
Re: Why Are Some Men Fascinated By Youth? by Macrophage(m): 3:17pm On Apr 08, 2015
It's probably an evolutionary drive. Maybe that's the age range at which women are most fertile...and the ultimate purpose of sex is procreation.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Men Fascinated By Youth? by echelons(m): 5:37am On Apr 17, 2015
The analysis actually makes real sense.
It may not be so true for some people anyway.
I had always found ladies of my age bracket (25 -30) more attractive but this attractiveness is beginning to tend towards the younger babes recently.
Your correlation to our grandparents is also very true. Most of our fathers married wives they are at least 8 years older than. The age gap even gets widened with the grand parents.
I wouldn't be so sure about the ladies pattern but you will hardly see a lady in a relationship with a guy she's much older than.
Great post. Cheers.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Some Men Fascinated By Youth? by Nobody: 8:19am On Apr 17, 2015
I guess its the energy and freshness of youth.
Re: Why Are Some Men Fascinated By Youth? by mirexxx(f): 8:23am On Apr 17, 2015
hmm
Re: Why Are Some Men Fascinated By Youth? by Nobody: 8:29am On Apr 17, 2015
op goodmorning cheesy
Re: Why Are Some Men Fascinated By Youth? by MzMay(f): 8:53am On Apr 17, 2015
lmao
Re: Why Are Some Men Fascinated By Youth? by MzMay(f): 8:53am On Apr 17, 2015
lmao ;Dlmao
Re: Why Are Some Men Fascinated By Youth? by cao(f): 9:04am On Apr 17, 2015
Err...interesting, why the sudden activity 3 months later?
Re: Why Are Some Men Fascinated By Youth? by samsard(m): 7:31am On Jul 25, 2015
And some people didnt understand what the op was driving at, yet we wonder how students fail exams. Like you said cao, nairalanders prefer a simple list to facts, figures and analysis.
Re: Why Are Some Men Fascinated By Youth? by cao(f): 9:12am On Jul 25, 2015
samsard:
And some people didnt understand what the op was driving at, yet we wonder how students fail exams. Like you said cao, nairalanders prefer a simple list to facts, figures and analysis.
Na so we see em. They were so quick to assume that I spent my days stressing about it, even though I showed them the original link. It seemed like a good question to ask, if they had bothered to even skim through the original link, they would have noticed that this was actual data from OKCupid (a dating site). They would prefer a list, where I'd generalise and downright insult people to get my point across. A list that would either have to be misogynistic or misandric to get any real attention. **shrugs**
Re: Why Are Some Men Fascinated By Youth? by samsard(m): 9:54am On Jul 25, 2015
cao:

Na so we see em. They were so quick to assume that I spent my days stressing about it, even though I showed them the original link. It seemed like a good question to ask, if they had bothered to even skim through the original link, they would have noticed that this was actual data from OKCupid (a dating site). They would prefer a list, where I'd generalise and downright insult people to get my point across. A list that would either have to be misogynistic or misandric to get any real attention. **shrugs**
grin You nailed it.
Re: Why Are Some Men Fascinated By Youth? by FrostyButter: 7:13am On Dec 31, 2019
Lol... This would have a very nice topic for conversation on reddit. I think it's social engineering. But there is actually a science to this, and I dont want to risk sounding brute by diving into it

(1) (Reply)

8 Unique And Funny Qualities That Make Men Crazy About Women / HELP: I Get More Attracted To Married Women / 7 Ways To Know If You Are In Love Or In Lust?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.