Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,202 members, 7,807,683 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:24 PM

How Do Nigerians Feel About Being Interviewed For US Visa Over Speaker - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / How Do Nigerians Feel About Being Interviewed For US Visa Over Speaker (2786 Views)

• • •Tips On Getting A US VISA / Some Things To Note When Attending US Visa Interview in Abuja / Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do Nigerians Feel About Being Interviewed For US Visa Over Speaker by scribble: 8:19pm On Jan 15, 2015
I noticed that the interviews in the US consulate are now done via public address system

Some of the consular officers do not turn off the speaker when interviewing and everyone in the interview room (hundreds of people) can hear your personal details

like how much do you make? what you do for a living? who are you going to see in USA? what are you going to do?

even when you're denied everyone can hear

Do Nigerians feel happy about this? or is it just more of the shabby treatment we've gotten accustomed to...

Pls speak out
Re: How Do Nigerians Feel About Being Interviewed For US Visa Over Speaker by Oz2014: 9:32pm On Jan 15, 2015
When you know what you want, you focus in working to get it, not minding that people are listening. So most times, your foxus is on getting the visa.
Re: How Do Nigerians Feel About Being Interviewed For US Visa Over Speaker by scribble: 4:49pm On Jan 16, 2015
Yes I agree.

It does little to change the fact that they disrespect us and have no regard.

Do you know that there is a quota system where they already know how many visas they will give in a day, month and year.

Despite this they feel justified to collect billions from Nigerians in Visa application fees, knowing they wont even give us visa.

I heard the story of one babe they gave visa because her birthday was the same day as the Visa Officers mother.

Another person's visa was refused even though he is CEO of a multi million Naira company.

And then they approved visa for someone earning less than N90000 a month.

Those people need to be called to order.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do Nigerians Feel About Being Interviewed For US Visa Over Speaker by Ctemi(f): 9:40pm On Jan 16, 2015
scribble:
Yes I agree.

Do you know that there is a quota system where they already know how many visas they will give in a day, month and year.

Despite this they feel justified to collect billions from Nigerians in Visa application fees, knowing they wont even give us visa.

I heard the story of one babe they gave visa because her birthday was the same day as the Visa Officers mother.

Another person's visa was refused even though he is CEO of a multi million Naira company.

That is what is favor&mercy which don't consider calibre, more reason I love US embassy
Re: How Do Nigerians Feel About Being Interviewed For US Visa Over Speaker by justwise(m): 9:48pm On Jan 16, 2015
scribble:
Yes I agree.

Nigerian embassy around the world don't give foreigners visa for free.

7 Likes

Re: How Do Nigerians Feel About Being Interviewed For US Visa Over Speaker by scribble: 10:30pm On Jan 16, 2015
justwise:

Nigerian embassy around the world don't give foreigners visa for free.

i know

do you know they made $35 million on applications last year

I hear a consular officer gave a girl visa because she has same birthday as her mom

the process is too subjective

and they expect to collect the same fee from the people they reject when they reapply

there should be an appeal process and then the consular officers would take their jobs more seriously
Re: How Do Nigerians Feel About Being Interviewed For US Visa Over Speaker by justwise(m): 10:34pm On Jan 16, 2015
scribble:

i know

d[b]o you know they made $35 million on applications last year[/b]

I hear a consular officer gave a girl visa because she has same birthday as her mom

the process is too subjective

and they expect to collect the same fee from the people they reject when they reapply

there should be an appeal process and then the consular officers would take their jobs more seriously

You can stop them from making that much from Nigerians by keeping our money and stop applying for US visa, trust me they will not take you to court.

The story about the VO giving a girl a visa because their birthday matched is too childish for me sorry.

4 Likes

Re: How Do Nigerians Feel About Being Interviewed For US Visa Over Speaker by Originalsly: 10:38pm On Jan 16, 2015
scribble:
I noticed that the interviews in the US consulate are now done via public address system

Some of the consular officers do not turn off the speaker when interviewing and everyone in the interview room (hundreds of people) can hear your personal details

Pls speak out
Why didn't you speak out when the mikes were left on instead of coming here to shout that it is their new policy? I guess you were refused visa and I can see why.

3 Likes

Re: How Do Nigerians Feel About Being Interviewed For US Visa Over Speaker by scribble: 10:39pm On Jan 16, 2015
justwise:

You can stop them from making that much from Nigerians by keeping our money and stop applying for US visa, trust me they will not take you to court.

The story about the VO giving a girl a visa because their birthday matched is too childish for me sorry.

i want Nigerians to stop applying I swear down

I didn't make that story up. It was told to me and I have no reason to doubt it not because the credibility of the source is not impeachable

but because the Consular Officers can deny for no apparent reason at all

How can they tell you to bring supporting documents

YOu go there with bank statements that can rival any oil workers earnings and they tell you "sorry you dont have strong enough socioeconomic ties to Nigeria"

Isnt that a load of horsecrap

why would someone who makes in the neighbourhood of $100,000 to $150,000 in Nigeria want to move to America to start hustling from scratch?

Is that common sense?

When I heard this particular story, I was miffed.

The Consular Officer didnt even bother to ask for or look at supporting documents that were there present.

1 Like

Re: How Do Nigerians Feel About Being Interviewed For US Visa Over Speaker by scribble: 10:41pm On Jan 16, 2015
Originalsly:
Why didn't you speak out when the mikes were left on instead of coming here to shout that it is their new policy? I guess you were refused visa and I can see why.

Ok. Lets assume I was refused Visa. Did I tell you that without Visa I will die?

Please stick to the subject matter or flee this thread.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do Nigerians Feel About Being Interviewed For US Visa Over Speaker by justwise(m): 10:45pm On Jan 16, 2015
scribble:

i want Nigerians to stop applying I swear down

I didn't make that story up. It was told to me and I have no reason to doubt it not because the credibility of the source is not impeachable

but because the Consular Officers can deny for no apparent reason at all

How can they tell you to bring supporting documents

YOu go there with bank statements that can rival any oil workers earnings and they tell you "sorry you dont have strong enough socioeconomic ties to Nigeria"

Isnt that a load of horsecrap

why would someone who makes in the neighbourhood of $100,000 to $150,000 in Nigeria want to move to America to start hustling from scratch?

Is that common sense?

When I heard this particular story, I was miffed.

The Consular Officer didnt even bother to ask for or look at supporting documents that were there present.

Dude you know very little about visas reading your post.

Having millions in your account does not mean that you qualified for visa because it could be a borrowed money, 'built account' but if you can backup your earnings with job or business then your chances are higher.

Living in an expensive area does not mean you ow or pay rent there, you could be staying with a friend and family member and using their addresses just to build your image.

Visa is not a right, its a privilege, you are not automatically entitled to one.

3 Likes

Re: How Do Nigerians Feel About Being Interviewed For US Visa Over Speaker by scribble: 11:09pm On Jan 16, 2015
I'm obviously not talking about padded accounts here.

Not every Nigerian you may encounter is 419.

The guy is a legit CEO of a popular company and has millions in the bank.

He should be entitled to go wherever he wants.

Visas are supposed to be granted to genuine people who seek to travel for genuine reasons.

I'm sure you can gather the wisdom to appreciate that.

Visa is an entitlement for genuine people not those that share same birthday with consular officers mom. undecided

justwise:

Dude you know very little about visas reading your post.

Having millions in your account does not means that you qualified for visa because it could be a borrowed money, 'built account' but if you can backup your earnings with job or business then your chances are higher.

Living in an expensive area does not means you ow or pay rent there, you could be staying with a friend and family member and using their addresses just to build your image.

Visa is not a right, its a privilege, you are not automatically entitled to one.

3 Likes

Re: How Do Nigerians Feel About Being Interviewed For US Visa Over Speaker by justwise(m): 11:25pm On Jan 16, 2015
scribble:
I'm obviously not talking about padded accounts here.

Not every Nigerian you may encounter is 419.

The guy is a legit CEO of a popular company and has millions in the bank.

He should be entitled to go wherever he wants.

Visas are supposed to be granted to genuine people who seek to travel for genuine reasons.

I'm sure you can gather the wisdom to appreciate that.

Visa is an entitlement for genuine people not those that share same birthday with consular officers mom. undecided

Yes the guy is entitled to go anywhere he want in his house, from bedroom to kitchen then toilet and back to his room.

No visa is not an entitlement, you are not entitled to enter any foreign country, they have the right to grant you entry or refuse you whether you are a millionaire or a poor man

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do Nigerians Feel About Being Interviewed For US Visa Over Speaker by scribble: 11:42pm On Jan 16, 2015
Not a reasonable answer buddy.

If you're qualified you SHOULD be granted visa.

A consular officer shouldn't be able to deny you because you resemble her ex

Or she is having a mood swing

Or he is in a bad mood

Or them no like your face

It shouldn't be subjective.

justwise:

Yes the guy is entitled to go anywhere he want in his house, from bedroom to kitchen then toilet and back to his room.

No visa is not an entitlement, you are not entitled to enter any foreign country, they have the right to grant you entry or refuse you whether you are a millionaire or a poor man

3 Likes

Re: How Do Nigerians Feel About Being Interviewed For US Visa Over Speaker by justwise(m): 11:48pm On Jan 16, 2015
scribble:
Not a reasonable answer buddy.

If you're qualified you SHOULD be granted visa.

A consular officer shouldn't be able to deny you because you resemble her ex

Or she is having a mood swing

Or he is in a bad mood

Or them no like your face

It shouldn't be subjective.

Sue them.
Re: How Do Nigerians Feel About Being Interviewed For US Visa Over Speaker by scribble: 1:10am On Jan 17, 2015
justwise:

Sue them.

No be me na.

But I go advice the bros.

Thanks for the 'wisdom'
Re: How Do Nigerians Feel About Being Interviewed For US Visa Over Speaker by justwise(m): 1:22am On Jan 17, 2015
scribble:

No be me na.

But I go advice the bros

Thanks for the 'wisdom'

I'm not sure if you are the right person to do that.
Re: How Do Nigerians Feel About Being Interviewed For US Visa Over Speaker by Nobody: 1:24am On Jan 17, 2015
scribble:

No be me na.

But I go advice the bros.

Thanks for the 'wisdom'
You can never sue the embassy. Perhaps the VOs in any US embassy are alpha & omega when it comes to issuing visa.
Their decisions for most non immigrant visa categories arr not subject to review. The US state department is aware the job of the VOs is so stressful as they have to attend to hundreds of applicants per day.
That's why the VOs are trained in advanced psychology in order to profile applicants. They don't have the luxury of time to check documents
Re: How Do Nigerians Feel About Being Interviewed For US Visa Over Speaker by Originalsly: 2:29am On Jan 17, 2015
scribble:

Ok. Lets assume I was refused Visa. Did I tell you that without Visa I will die?

Please stick to the subject matter or flee this thread.

Did I say you will die?....and what is the topic?...isn't it interviews being conducted over PA system?....didn't I address your misleading topic? Off topic....I suggest you stop displaying your depth of ignorance of the criteria used to issue a US visa and take a moment to understand what Justwise is patiently trying to register between your ears. If you insist on having them abide by your rules then again...you need to speak out in the right place....this time to the US Senate and Congress....and they will make the changes if they see it fit. Until then.....let's not contribute to global warming.

1 Like

Re: How Do Nigerians Feel About Being Interviewed For US Visa Over Speaker by scribble: 2:53am On Jan 17, 2015
Originalsly:
Did I say you will die?....and what is the topic?...isn't it interviews being conducted over PA system?....didn't I address your misleading topic? Off topic....I suggest you stop displaying your depth of ignorance of the criteria used to issue a US visa and take a moment to understand what Justwise is patiently trying to register between your ears. If you insist on having them abide by your rules then again...you need to speak out in the right place....this time to the US Senate and Congress....and they will make the changes if they see it fit. Until then.....let's not contribute to global warming.

global warming or crass stupidity....

yes i agree.
Re: How Do Nigerians Feel About Being Interviewed For US Visa Over Speaker by Originalsly: 3:00am On Jan 17, 2015
scribble:

global warming or crass stupidity....

yes i agree.
Lol...ok Oga....I agree....now that you said it...crass stupidity.

1 Like

Re: How Do Nigerians Feel About Being Interviewed For US Visa Over Speaker by scribble: 3:12am On Jan 17, 2015
Originalsly:
Lol...ok Oga....I agree....now that you said it...crass stupidity.

stop trolling pls

cant u find another thread where you feel more at home

youre obviously not wanted here undecided
Re: How Do Nigerians Feel About Being Interviewed For US Visa Over Speaker by stevewale(m): 2:05pm On Jan 17, 2015
Guys pls can we stop abussing the OP? Everyone is entitle to his/her opinion.

I think d guy raised a point there that somehow make sense to me which i think if any of their officials here on Nairaland are reading it, the shud pls do something about it if possible ... The putting the interviewee on speaker.

Having known that its all manner of pple in there waiting to be interviewed, some informations should be exclusively btw d consular and the applicant. Some are financial matters and while some are related to health issues.

Pls lets all address this and not pick fault with the OP. I am not concern abt why or how they refuse pple. I am talking abt the speaker thing.

The OP might have brought this to Nairaland because he is aware of the VO here and she has a listening ear. She might take this up and see to it that pple want privacy..

No harm please ... peace

5 Likes

Re: How Do Nigerians Feel About Being Interviewed For US Visa Over Speaker by justwise(m): 3:13pm On Jan 17, 2015
stevewale:
Guys pls can we stop abussing the OP? Everyone is entitle to his/her opinion.

I think d guy raised a point there that somehow make sense to me which i think if any of their officials here on Nairaland are reading it, the shud pls do something about it if possible ... The putting the interviewee on speaker.

Having known that its all manner of pple in there waiting to be interviewed, some informations should be exclusively btw d consular and the applicant. Some are financial matters and while some are related to health issues.

Pls lets all address this and not pick fault with the OP. I am not concern abt why or how they refuse pple. I am talking abt the speaker thing.

The OP might have brought this to Nairaland because he is aware of the VO here and she has a listening ear. She might take this up and see to it that pple want privacy..

No harm please ... peace

You actually made some very important points which i totally agreed with, i'm not comfortable with the speaker thing and its not only in Nigeria they use it, my first and only visa interview at US embassy outside Nigeria was the same experience , people could hear practically everything which really puts me off.

The op failed to make this point but rather went off with a completely different point about visa refusals and some second-person experience stories

3 Likes

Re: How Do Nigerians Feel About Being Interviewed For US Visa Over Speaker by tpiaP: 3:45pm On Jan 17, 2015
Everything in america is the opposite of what obtains in nigeria.

Just bear with whatever you see when applying for visa, or else you won't feel like travelling at all
Re: How Do Nigerians Feel About Being Interviewed For US Visa Over Speaker by stevewale(m): 5:19pm On Jan 17, 2015
justwise:

You actually made some very important points which i totally agreed with, i'm not comfortable with the speaker thing and its not only in Nigeria they use it, my first and only visa interview at US embassy outside Nigeria was the same experience , people could hear practically everything which really puts me off.

The op failed to make this point but rather went off with a completely different point about visa refusals and some second-person experience stories

Thanks for your candour nd sense of maturity ... Since you mentioned that's same way they are doing in other countries, i want to assume that's their modus operandi ... One has to either bear with it or ignore traveling to their country.
Re: How Do Nigerians Feel About Being Interviewed For US Visa Over Speaker by justwise(m): 6:37pm On Jan 17, 2015
stevewale:

Thanks for your candour nd sense of maturity ... Since you mentioned that's same way they are doing in other countries, i want to assume that's their modus operandi ... One has to either bear with it or ignore traveling to their country.

They do that for security reasons and this has been going on for more than 12 years now as far as I can remember. Some embassies like the UK condult Skype interviews and applications are not submitted at the embassy anymore. They are only reacting to security situation since after 9/11.
Re: How Do Nigerians Feel About Being Interviewed For US Visa Over Speaker by tpiaP: 8:49pm On Jan 17, 2015
Some embassies like the UK condult Skype interviews

Skype as in interview you at home (or somewhere outside the embassy)?

sounds like the google movie.
Re: How Do Nigerians Feel About Being Interviewed For US Visa Over Speaker by justwise(m): 8:51pm On Jan 17, 2015
tpiaP:

Skype as in interview you at home (or somewhere outside the embassy)?

sounds like the google movie.

At the visa centre which is different from the embassy.
Re: How Do Nigerians Feel About Being Interviewed For US Visa Over Speaker by tpiaP: 8:54pm On Jan 17, 2015
interesting technology.
Re: How Do Nigerians Feel About Being Interviewed For US Visa Over Speaker by Nutase: 3:49pm On Jan 18, 2015
grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Question On Ghana / The Ritz-carlton Hong Kong: The World's Tallest Hotel / Best West African Countries To Nationalized Or Get Dual Citizenship

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.