Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,528 members, 7,801,472 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 03:44 PM

Opinion: Why Poetry Is Important, And Could Be More Important Than Science - Literature (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Opinion: Why Poetry Is Important, And Could Be More Important Than Science (18168 Views)

Why A Website Is Important To A Writer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Opinion: Why Poetry Is Important, And Could Be More Important Than Science by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 9:34am On Jan 16, 2015
joseph1832:
Don't confuse poetry with prose!. Poetry can never be as harmful as science. IMO.

I was talking about poetry not prose. Do you know how many poets have died in the religion of peace?

Do you know how many poets have praised dictators?
Re: Opinion: Why Poetry Is Important, And Could Be More Important Than Science by Nobody: 9:36am On Jan 16, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

Has poetry solved any major issue? That is what you were addressing, please finish it with a logical argument

Maybe! If I'm given the chance to write just two stanzas of a poem detailing the rottenness of some of our leaders and mail it to each one of them, they will all leave office in the next hour cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Opinion: Why Poetry Is Important, And Could Be More Important Than Science by Nobody: 9:37am On Jan 16, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

I was talking about poetry not prose. Do you know how many poets have died in the religion of peace?

Dying is not a big deal, writing or standing for the truth is.

1 Like

Re: Opinion: Why Poetry Is Important, And Could Be More Important Than Science by herald9: 9:37am On Jan 16, 2015
Reyginus:
Herald9, I don't agree with you that poetry has not solved any of life's problem. I am sorry to say but I think you have a very limited understanding of what Poetry really is.

Poetry is made of water. A fluid capable of taking any shape its environment, the soul behind it, that is, chisels it to. In essence, it has contributed to both good and evil.

Let me brief you on the immaterial and how poetry has created a material healthy humas by seducing it.

The immaterial precedes the material. And poetry is not a material thing but poetry is music and music is not material. Music alters mood and talk to you. It is like a brainwashing technique. The genre and integrity of the songs you listen to, subconsciously place a psychological, mental and translated to the physical awareness which is necessary for the wellbeing of man.

Whether it is good or bad doesn't affect the fact that something has happened. Words are not intrinsically good or bad.

OK sir...I don't wanna argue further before my poetry teacher Laykorn vex expel me from schoolsad
Re: Opinion: Why Poetry Is Important, And Could Be More Important Than Science by MrPresident1: 9:38am On Jan 16, 2015
standd:

Lmaocheesy @Twinkle Twinkle little star
I could write you a poem that will make you empty your account for me.

Eziokwu? cheesy

Oya, please do kiss
Re: Opinion: Why Poetry Is Important, And Could Be More Important Than Science by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 9:40am On Jan 16, 2015
joseph1832:
Even football and Alcohol have there bad sides, apart from Chess because Chess is Art!

Chess is science....you play for points in chess in case of a draw. You have to consider the points you get for every move. You have to plan your moves ahead of time- and every move is a pattern which you must understand.
Re: Opinion: Why Poetry Is Important, And Could Be More Important Than Science by blackjack21(m): 9:41am On Jan 16, 2015
CuteMaro:
This is absurd... how can u even think that?? people subscribe to music more than poetry.. Music is the key to the Soul.. & Science is the key to life... I was expecting to c d good old argument of Science and Art.. and like a guy earlier said, it's all about balance.
Note that without science, the 3 basic needs of man would be difficult, almost impossible to achieve.. Think Food, Clothing, and Shelter.
Without Science, how will u be able to express ur ideas to a greater audience... even Jesus had to travel with ships or canoes to spread the gospel.

Ship and canoe are scientific achievement

1 Like

Re: Opinion: Why Poetry Is Important, And Could Be More Important Than Science by joseph1832(m): 9:42am On Jan 16, 2015
standd:

Dying is not a big deal, writing or standing for the truth is.
Bless you Standd, bless you!.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Opinion: Why Poetry Is Important, And Could Be More Important Than Science by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 9:43am On Jan 16, 2015
standd:

Maybe! If I'm given the chance to write just two stanzas of a poem detailing the rottenness of some of our leaders and mail it to each one of them, they will all leave office in the next hour cheesy

You'd need the science/technology too....the laptop to type it, the internet and email to send it to many important email addresses and lastly the fridge to store and open the champagne bottle celebrating your poetic revolution in Nigeria!! cheesy
Re: Opinion: Why Poetry Is Important, And Could Be More Important Than Science by obiak4(m): 9:43am On Jan 16, 2015
herald9:

Who said so oo... Do you know whether he gained inspirations from the poems written for Napoleon and his various victories in battles? cheesy
Hitler was a great poet don't get it twisted ooooo
Re: Opinion: Why Poetry Is Important, And Could Be More Important Than Science by Nobody: 9:43am On Jan 16, 2015
Sunymoore:
Wtf is this shitttt? are u fuckn kiddn me?

What is the ruse..
..poetry trumps science tongue

One will give you the means to life,
and the other wings to fly.

Why walk when you can fly..
or spend your days like an Android tongue
when poems can win you love.

cheesy tongue
Re: Opinion: Why Poetry Is Important, And Could Be More Important Than Science by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 9:44am On Jan 16, 2015
joseph1832:
Bless you Standd, bless you!.

angry angry angry angry angry

grin grin
Re: Opinion: Why Poetry Is Important, And Could Be More Important Than Science by joseph1832(m): 9:44am On Jan 16, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

Chess is science....you play for points in chess in case of a draw. You have to consider the points you get for every move. You have to plan your moves ahead of time- and every move is a pattern which you must understand.
Hmm that sounds like Art you just described!.
Re: Opinion: Why Poetry Is Important, And Could Be More Important Than Science by Nobody: 9:45am On Jan 16, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

You'd need the science/technology too....the laptop to type it, the internet and email to send it to many important email addresses and lastly the fridge to store and open the champagne bottle celebrating your poetic revolution in Nigeria!! cheesy

Hahacheesy I don't need a laptop.. ink and paper will do tongue
Re: Opinion: Why Poetry Is Important, And Could Be More Important Than Science by Nobody: 9:46am On Jan 16, 2015
MrPresident1:

Eziokwu? cheesy

Oya, please do kiss

Gimme the last four digits on your Credit card and your pin first. I will write the poem, sharply! tongue
Re: Opinion: Why Poetry Is Important, And Could Be More Important Than Science by Nobody: 9:50am On Jan 16, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

Chess is not science. It is like an art of 'war'.
You learn how to move, when to strike and when to remain in hiding. In short, you learn how to dance across the chess board. You learn every pattern like a dance.
Re: Opinion: Why Poetry Is Important, And Could Be More Important Than Science by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 9:52am On Jan 16, 2015
standd:

What is the ruse..

cheesy tongue

I stand at a crossroad
the fork dividing science and poetry
the choice between knowledge and philosophy
shall I research a theory
or compose an ode?

1 Like

Re: Opinion: Why Poetry Is Important, And Could Be More Important Than Science by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 9:55am On Jan 16, 2015
standd:

You learn how to move, when to strike and when to remain in hiding. In short, you learn how to dance across the chess board. You learn every pattern like a dance.

When patterns get juxtaposed with numbers, you are surely getting into the realms of science.

War is not an art- it is the science of producing larger guns and acquiring large numbers of soldiers to crush the enemy.

At this point, we are just pulling each other's legs grin grin
Re: Opinion: Why Poetry Is Important, And Could Be More Important Than Science by Nobody: 9:57am On Jan 16, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

I stand at a crossroad
the fork dividing science and poetry
the choice between knowledge and philosophy
shall I research a theory
or compose an ode?

There are no crossroads here,
only the flow of black into white.
There's no knowledge as dangerous,
as one that leaves the soul blank.

Science will drown you,
poetry will make you float as you connect to your soul.

It is not your task to choose,
You have life and you need love.
The music that calms the waters of your soul,
and the exquisite delights of your heart- can not be found in Einstein's lab.

2 Likes

Re: Opinion: Why Poetry Is Important, And Could Be More Important Than Science by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 9:58am On Jan 16, 2015
standd:

Hahacheesy I don't need a laptop.. ink and paper will do tongue

How was the paper produced?

wink
Re: Opinion: Why Poetry Is Important, And Could Be More Important Than Science by Nobody: 9:58am On Jan 16, 2015
standd:

What is the ruse..

cheesy tongue

Poems win you love?
If that were true, you'd have had me.
Me in a platter and not Chinese ware,
I'd have gladly sold my belongings and followed you anywhere.
Anywhere, everywhere, somewhere,
Just to be happy, happy to have you near.
A Myrmidon? You can call me rare. tongue

1 Like

Re: Opinion: Why Poetry Is Important, And Could Be More Important Than Science by lyricalpontiff(m): 9:59am On Jan 16, 2015
True to an extent
Re: Opinion: Why Poetry Is Important, And Could Be More Important Than Science by Nobody: 9:59am On Jan 16, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

How was the paper produced?

wink

undecided Give me a scroll then or even a slab of stone. My pen is swifter than Russia's fastest missile.

3 Likes

Re: Opinion: Why Poetry Is Important, And Could Be More Important Than Science by Blakjewelry(m): 10:01am On Jan 16, 2015
Now I see were the problems of Nigeria lies. Following entertainment and living backwards while many nations are advancing using science and technology
Re: Opinion: Why Poetry Is Important, And Could Be More Important Than Science by Nobody: 10:03am On Jan 16, 2015
Scrypt:

Poems win you love?
If that were true, you'd have had me.
Me in a platter and not Chinese ware,
I'd have gladly sold my belongings and followed you anywhere.
Anywhere, everywhere, somewhere,
Just to be happy, happy to have you near.
A Myrmidon? You can call me rare. tongue

Poetry is in all you see, all you dream.
all you ever want.
The thumping of your heart.

You can feel when all else fails.
It will connect you to the whole and bring a song to your aching soul.

You need poetry..
In dance, music, even in the way you make love.

tongue

1 Like

Re: Opinion: Why Poetry Is Important, And Could Be More Important Than Science by Nobody: 10:03am On Jan 16, 2015
Blakjewelry:
Now I see were the problems of Nigeria lies. Following entertainment and living backwards while many nations are advancing using science and technology

cheesy undecided
We are sorry sad
Re: Opinion: Why Poetry Is Important, And Could Be More Important Than Science by Ksslib(m): 10:05am On Jan 16, 2015
Wait wait wait!! Is this a joke or something? angry

Poetry and SCIENCE? Hahaha.

No offence to poets but this is a VERY big insult to science.
Re: Opinion: Why Poetry Is Important, And Could Be More Important Than Science by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 10:05am On Jan 16, 2015
standd:

There are no crossroads here,
only the flow of black into white.
There's no knowledge as dangerous,
as one that leaves the soul blank.

Science will drown you,
poetry will make you float as you connect to your soul.

It is not your task to choose,
You have life and you need love.
The music that calms the waters of your soul,
and the exquisite delights of your heart- can not be found in Einstein's lab.

Religion is the opium of the masses
And poetry, the liquor of the elite
And science, the tool of the enlightened
The hammer of light
Against the darkness of ignorance

2 Likes

Re: Opinion: Why Poetry Is Important, And Could Be More Important Than Science by joseph1832(m): 10:07am On Jan 16, 2015
standd:

The more reason why I said earlier that Chess is Art!.
Re: Opinion: Why Poetry Is Important, And Could Be More Important Than Science by blackjack21(m): 10:11am On Jan 16, 2015
standd:

Oh smiley I love poetry...it flows like silky waves of exquisite delight through my being. But again, Science if life that we can't do without.. Poetry is beauty...rich, rich beauty. None is better than the other for me. I live with science, I love with poetry..You see smiley I have the best of both worlds.

The power in combining both must ne'er be underestimated.

For I tell you,
Poetry with no science is like,
Science with no practical,
Like a teacher with no student.
Go to the west, go to the south,
Tell I said so.
For man can live with no poem.

Be in a situation,
whence only one must be chose,
The only choice to aggravate your being is poetry.

Now, there goes my first poem.
Hope I didn't murder poetry. grin

2 Likes

Re: Opinion: Why Poetry Is Important, And Could Be More Important Than Science by Nobody: 10:13am On Jan 16, 2015
standd:

all you ever want.

You need poetry..

tongue

Poetry no doubt beautiful,
Misconceived in multiples
Has its bearing from life's ripples,
Inspiration, Imagination linked to one, Science.

Poetry is an art,
Art works on conceived thoughts,
Thoughts born of science,
The knitting of our being.

Take away science,
There will be no thought, no art, no poetry,
In all, Science is Ultimate.

tongue tongue

2 Likes

Re: Opinion: Why Poetry Is Important, And Could Be More Important Than Science by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 10:15am On Jan 16, 2015
standd:

all you ever want.

You need poetry..

tongue

Poetry is but a rose
Beautiful but flawed
A scent of sweetness
But unto the mind,
tis' a taste of weak and sour

Poems do not shield me from winter
Nor illuminate the darkness of the night
They do not shelter the homeless
Or help the sickler's plight
tis' but a bed of roses.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Google Celebrates Nigerian Author - Flora Nwapa / EREBUS -The Evil At Heart (Spy Thriller) / How Much Should I Charge For A 150 Paged Novel On Fiverr

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.