Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,865 members, 7,806,457 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 04:49 PM

A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State (58293 Views)

Kiyi, A Community In FCT That Still Kills Twins And Triplets? / The Sacred Iguanas Of Orogun Community In Delta State (photos) / Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by ezanafe(m): 12:42pm On Feb 02, 2015
No need for argument my people. I am from Ibillo and in fact i live there currently so i know my ORIGIN, those who don't know theirs should please find out and stop misconceptions on this thread. #I KNOW MY ORIGIN.

6 Likes

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by Funjosh(m): 1:30pm On Feb 02, 2015
ezanafe:
They are Edo but originated from the Yoruba race.

That means they are still Yoruba.

1 Like

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by ezanafe(m): 10:08pm On Feb 03, 2015
Funjosh:

They are now Edo but their ORIGIN can be traced to Yoruba

1 Like

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by Funjosh(m): 3:55am On Feb 04, 2015
The Okun people of Kogi state are they Yoruba or Kogi

ezanafe:
They are now Edo but their ORIGIN can be traced to Yoruba

1 Like

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by ezanafe(m): 11:22pm On Feb 04, 2015
Funjosh:

I don't know sir because am not familia with Kogi town/villages.
Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by Funjosh(m): 5:46am On Feb 05, 2015
ezanafe:
I don't know sir because am not familia with Kogi town/villages.

Ok....just want to get some facts
Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by TonySpike: 12:50pm On Feb 05, 2015
The Okun people share boundary with the Ekiti people and speak a Yoruba dialect almost 80% close to Ekiti Yoruba. So yes, they are Yoruba and they have been been clamouring to be joined with their kiths and kins in South-West Nigeria.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by scholes0(m): 6:00am On Feb 07, 2015
Funjosh:

Okun is Yoruba 100% pure and simple.
The name "Okun" actually come from the Yoruba word "Okun- take it easy" which is the way they are popularly known to greet one another.
Okun is one of the Yoruba sub-groups others being Ijesha, Ekiti, Akoko, Ijebu, Igbomina, Egba, Ilaje, Oyo, Etc

12 Likes

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by ezanafe(m): 11:11am On Feb 11, 2015
coolGood to know about the OKUN people.

3 Likes

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by scholes0(m): 4:57am On Feb 12, 2015
ezanafe:
coolGood to know about the OKUN people.

tell us more about your people.

2 Likes

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by ezanafe(m): 4:47pm On Feb 12, 2015
scholes0:

tell us more about your people.
By God's grace, To whom it may concern. "IBILLO" is like a "Capital City" to the whole towns/villages of "OKPAMERI" Communities.

5 Likes

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by ezanafe(m): 12:44pm On Feb 20, 2015
MORE HISTORY OF IBILLO COMMUNITY.

Socio-Politico-Economic:
Since its origin Ibillo economy was purely agrarian at subsistence level interlaced with hunting expeditions. The native law and custom held sway over its social, political and economic life including the traditional legislative, judicial and administrative machinery in the pre-colonial era till the Ibadan and Nupe invasions which were repelled by the British Royal Niger Company Circa 1890 AD which preceded the advent of the colonial administration.

The 1970s to the 1980s witnessed occupational shift from total agrarian and hunting economy to garri production, artisan trade, civil/public service, petty private enterprise and commerce with scarce professionalism which until the present time recorded infinitesimal improvement in specialization and politics.

Education:
The native law, custom, tradition and culture of Ibillo since the ancient time with compelling force and inadvertent propensity whittled educational prospects, opportunities and advantages which low literacy level was boosted by the local education of the C.M.S. and Roman Catholic Mission Schools at the colonial and post independence era with only 56 pupils in the C.M.S. Elementary II in Ibillo in 1926. The slow rise in the literacy level since then is un-encouraging as literacy level appreciated at a crawling pace.

1 Like

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by ibnew: 11:02pm On Mar 13, 2015
It is interesting to see all these here. I will say we are still looking for information and fact to confirm the origin of Ibillo. Am aware there are some written records. The word "from Benin or Yoruba" as stated in the text does not say exactly where. Then again even Benin has been historically proven to be from Yoruba.
What I know is - in the days Ibillo was under the Kukuruku division, administration was from Ikare. During the colonial era Ibillo was the local center through which other villages were reach. There was a district office in Odo quarters. Those are the colonial building that was serving as customary court in Odo. Later on, Education and educators came from them Ikare area. The first alphabet that our forefathers were taught was Yoruba alphabet. It was a kind of colonization. Yoruba was adopted as general language then because we have the okpameris, the Ososos, the Unemes, the Okpes and other Yoruba communities like Oka, Oba, Isua, Ikakumo around us. Our fathers Yoruba fluently. There were inter-marriages, trade and other administrative activities. We imbibed the tradition, names and dressing. It was not new to us because some how our roots interwove.
When Mid-west state was created, we were cut into it with some Yoruba towns Ikakumo, Imeri. Isua was cut into Ondo. Center of administartion changed to Benin and Auchi.
Recently there have been moves to have our children bear our language names. English and Okpameri (Ibillo version) is being widely spoken. Most youths of today don't understand or speak Yoruba.

Please correct me if you have more facts. Apologies for any miss-spellings.
Proudly IBILLO.

10 Likes

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by ezanafe(m): 2:52pm On Mar 16, 2015
ibnew:
It is interesting to see all these here. I will say we are still looking for information and fact to confirm the origin of Ibillo. Am aware there are some written records. The word "from Benin or Yoruba" as stated in the text does not say exactly where. Then again even Benin has been historically proven to be from Yoruba.
What I know is - in the days Ibillo was under the Kukuruku division, administration was from Ikare. During the colonial era Ibillo was the local center through which other villages were reach. There was a district office in Odo quarters. Those are the colonial building that was serving as customary court in Odo. Later on, Education and educators came from them Ikare area. The first alphabet that our forefathers were taught was Yoruba alphabet. It was a kind of colonization. Yoruba was adopted as general language then because we have the okpameris, the Ososos, the Unemes, the Okpes and other Yoruba communities like Oka, Oba, Isua, Ikakumo around us. Our fathers Yoruba fluently. There were inter-marriages, trade and other administrative activities. We imbibed the tradition, names and dressing. It was not new to us because some how our roots interwove.
When Mid-west state was created, we were cut into it with some Yoruba towns Ikakumo, Imeri. Isua was cut into Ondo. Center of administartion changed to Benin and Auchi.
Recently there have been moves to have our children bear our language names. English and Okpameri (Ibillo version) is being widely spoken. Most youths of today don't understand or speak Yoruba.

Please correct me if you have more facts. Apologies for any miss-spellings.
Proudly IBILLO.

Thanks for the info.

1 Like

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by ezanafe(m): 5:40pm On Jun 29, 2015
FACTORS THAT HAMPER DEVELOPMENT OF IBILLO

Endemic Disunity:
Prevalent disunity both within the quarters and the town levels is rife which diffuses collective spirit at attainment of communal goals. Covering or supporting of wrong and selfish interests leaning along quarters affinity or line is rampart which breeds more disunity. The general or communal interest should be elevated above sectional, selfish or private interest for the common good.

Intra and Inter Quarters and Community Disputes:
Intra and inter quarters disputes cut across almost every quarters in Ibillo stemming from rivalries arising from claims, right, interests, etc founded on the proper or improper observance or enforcement of the observance of native law, custom, cultures, tradition and so on and so forth such as quarters headship, distribution formula, masquerades and burial rites. Some led to boycott of Elders Council and/or running of parallel Elders Council, abandoning or limiting burial dance and masquerade parades points, etc. This trend applies to the town level.
This is unhealthy to the development of Ibillo.

Lack of Interest in Education and ‘Get Rich Quick’ Syndrome:
It is sad that so many youths in Ibillo detest education for pleasure and comfort today. This epicurean attitude of get rich-quick, luxury, pleasure, comfort, etc without work has no good signal for posterity. This luxurious tendencies to attain wealth without sweat lures scores of youths to Motor bike service/employment (popularly called Okada) rendering them vulnerable to unwholesome vices and menaces.

Security Challenges:
The vulnerability of Ibillo to the scourge of armed robbers and hoodlums particularly along Ibillo-Imoga, Ibillo-Okene, Ibillo-Ikare, Ibillo-Igarra and Ibillo-Ikiran Ile routes calls for concern. The high indices of casualties to attacks by the elements of the underworld leaves Ibillo vulnerable. Clamour for a permanent Army Barrack at Ibillo as well as bringing pressure to bear on the Local and State Governments to equip and service our local Vigilante Outfit, constant an effective Community Policing will check the menace.

Unemployment:
A teething problem that goes to the root of the entire social fabric is unemployment. Graduates of tertiary institutions at different levels still roam about the streets helpless for decades without prospects for job opportunities. The level of employment will determine the beauty of Ibillo. Unemployment accounts for the prevailing Okada ridding, cultism, drug abuse, smoking, alcoholism, etc which should not be allowed to take over and render our Community unsafe. We therefore appeal to those in government to come to aid. The illustrious sons and daughters of Ibillo who are positioned should also endeavor to see to this area.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by macof(m): 8:21pm On Jun 30, 2015
I hope you all know that the case here is like every other. .
Take Ekiti for instance, we have different dialects within ourselves but all are generally considered Ekiti, Ekiti also considered a dialect of Yoruba
So the various Akoko dialects are simply under AKOKO which is also a Yoruba dialect. ..or has evolved into that

Being in Edo state doesn't make Akoko ethnically Edo
That would be like saying Okun are Kogi because they are in Kogi state grin

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by ezanafe(m): 10:08pm On Jul 02, 2015
macof:
Take Ekiti for instance, we have different dialects within ourselves but all are generally considered Ekiti, Ekiti also considered a dialect of Yoruba
So the various Akoko dialects are simply under AKOKO which is also a Yoruba dialect. ..or has evolved into that

You are right Man...

2 Likes

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by Funjosh(m): 6:25am On Jul 03, 2015
macof:

Hmmm smiley
Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by ezanafe(m): 10:42pm On Jul 03, 2015
Be it as it may, We are all sons and daughters of ADAM & EVE since time immemorial... Not minding our Tribe or Origin.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by Kuntathegreat: 1:34am On Aug 01, 2015
My Okpameri people I hail oh! Can anyone help with Okpameri names and their meaning? I have always wanted to give my children Okpameri names even though I don't speak the language. smiley wink cheesy
Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by Funjosh(m): 3:16am On Aug 01, 2015
Kuntathegreat:
My Okpameri people I hail oh! Can anyone help with Okpameri names and their meaning? I have always wanted to give my children Okpameri names even though I don't speak the language. smiley wink cheesy

Which Language Do You Speak
Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by macof(m): 11:42pm On Aug 01, 2015
ezanafe:
Be it as it may, We are all sons and daughters of ADAM & EVE since time immemorial... Not minding our Tribe or Origin.

Nonsense. Adam and Eve are Semitic ancestors. ..they got nothing to do with us black africans

Stop this gullibility.. learn to uplift ur own version of the origins of man

4 Likes

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by ezanafe(m): 7:23pm On Aug 08, 2015
macof:

Nonsense. Adam and Eve are Semitic ancestors. ..they got nothing to do with us black africans

Stop this gullibility.. learn to uplift ur own version of the origins of man
Sir, to my own religious believe, i learnt that all MEN are descendants of Adam & Eve including you.

1 Like

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by macof(m): 8:17pm On Aug 08, 2015
ezanafe:

Sir, to my own religious believe, i learnt that all MEN are descendants of Adam & Eve including you.

And Am saying that such beliefs have no basis cause we africans don't know any Adam and Eve. .. these are Semetic ancestors not African ancestors
From north - south, east - west We have no traditions of Adam and Eve

Or are you rejecting ur "Africanity" for Semetism?

Same for South East Asians like Japanese, Chinese etc they aren't descended from Adam and Eve

2 Likes

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by Funjosh(m): 6:00am On Aug 09, 2015
I had a friend that went to Aiyegunle part of Akoko Edo, he told me that they speak Yoruba well over their and understand Yoruba language. That most of their house were olden days story building thay is common in Akoko Land of Ondo State.

ezanafe:

2 Likes

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by ezanafe(m): 2:09pm On Aug 15, 2015
macof:

And Am saying that such beliefs have no basis cause we africans don't know any Adam and Eve. .. these are Semetic ancestors not African ancestors
From north - south, east - west We have no traditions of Adam and Eve

Or are you rejecting ur "Africanity" for Semetism?

Same for South East Asians like Japanese, Chinese etc they aren't descended from Adam and Eve
If i may ask what is your faith/ believe? I mean your religion.
Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by ezanafe(m): 2:14pm On Aug 15, 2015
Funjosh:
I had a friend that went to Aiyegunle part of Akoko Edo, he told me that they speak Yoruba well over their and understand Yoruba language. That most of their house were olden days story building thay is common in Akoko Land of Ondo State.

You are some how right that Aiyegunle which is part of Akoko Edo speaks Yoruba dialect. In other words they still have their own self developed and spoken dialect which is different from Yoruba dialect.

2 Likes

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by Funjosh(m): 5:47pm On Aug 15, 2015
Now i got the gist, just the Akoko people of ondo state they have different languages per comunities that we the yoruba down south dont even understand themwhen dey speak but yet dey understand yoruba well.

ezanafe:

You are some how right that Aiyegunle which is part of Akoko Edo speaks Yoruba dialect. In other words they still have their own self developed and spoken dialect which is different from Yoruba dialect.
Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by Emilokoiyawon: 6:34pm On Aug 15, 2015
Redoil:
i put it to you that they are not from Yoruba land. Yoruba people know ho to re write history to make it look as if every other tribe arround them are from Yoruba.

grin see goat - is the op a Yoruba person or you just blowing smoke up your behind? grin

4 Likes

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by Emilokoiyawon: 6:47pm On Aug 15, 2015
Redoil:
one thing i am very sure of is that the people of akoko edo speaks more than 20 languages and which Yoruba is not part off. The fact that the people of akoko edo have decided to assimilate and associate with Yoruba people, culture, and language for easy access to trade with them does not make akoko edo people more or less originated from Yoruba land.

grin you have been exposed as a Biafra. Your bigoted claim that Yoruba people know ho to re write history to make it look as if every other tribe arround them are from Yoruba... exposes you as a Yoruba-hater (of no consequence but hater all the same). The Yorubas are not expansionist Biafrauds going around claiming anything and everything that is not Yoruba, Edo or Hausa/Fulani. Our cultural self-esteem is too sure for that childish nonsense. If the Ibillo say they are from Benin, or Ife or Madasgascar or wherever its their business, and their history. Yorubas are known all over Nigeria for the simple motto of 'just live and let live.' We don't have time for your childish Biafra business. I have EXPOSED you now move on. grin

6 Likes

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by Emilokoiyawon: 6:51pm On Aug 15, 2015
Redoil:
i like ur analysis and it shows that you know more about ur people and those arround them.
My point is that our ancestors migrating and settled in the boarders of yorober town does not make them Yoruba and that is onething i will always accept.

grin who is claiming you? ONLY BiaFRAUDS claim people. Yorubas are too sure. Ki lo kan wa? grin

4 Likes

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by Emilokoiyawon: 6:54pm On Aug 15, 2015
Funjosh:

grin They ALONE can decide what they are - ko kan wa grin

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Alaafin Of Oyo, Lamidi Adeyemi & His Wives At His Daughter's wedding (Photos) / “The Next Ooni Will Not Eat Sijuwade’s Heart” - Ife Chief / Do African Americans Have A Culture?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.