Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,542 members, 7,808,996 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:46 PM

A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State - Culture (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State (58325 Views)

Kiyi, A Community In FCT That Still Kills Twins And Triplets? / The Sacred Iguanas Of Orogun Community In Delta State (photos) / Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by macof(m): 10:11pm On Jan 24, 2018
Deadlytruth:

Perception of truth is not same as actual element of truth.
grin grin this bini guy again. So now you want to say the ibillo man doesn't know his town?

Keep up the facade of a Yoruba-free Edo state, only morons who do not have the mental capacity to do a little study will take that in.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by Deadlytruth(m): 10:45pm On Jan 24, 2018
macof:
grin grin this bini guy again. So now you want to say the ibillo man doesn't know his town?

Keep up the facade of a Yoruba-free Edo state, only morons who do not have the mental capacity to do a little study will take that in.

This Ife guy again. So you want to say that one single Ibillo man's opinion supersedes that of at least three here which are to the contrary?
Keep up the delusion of Yoruba founded Akoko-Edo towns and villages. Only idiotic simpletons who are hell bent on imposing themselves on others would assume that the opinion of a single person could count more than those of several others.
I recall how your likes ask for Oba Akiolu's head and tell him he is on a personal opinion each time he claims Binis founded and actually own Lagos.
Deluded punk!

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by macof(m): 10:49pm On Jan 24, 2018
Deadlytruth:

This Ife guy again. So you want to say that one single Ibillo man's opinion supersedes that of at least three here which are to the contrary?
Keep up the delusion of Yoruba founded Akoko-Edo towns and villages. Only idiotic simpletons who are hell bent on imposing themselves on others would assume that the opinion of a single person could count more than those of several others.
I recall how your likes ask for Oba Akiolu's head and tell him he is on a person opinion each time he claims Binis founded and actually own Lagos.
Deluded punk!

I'm Ekiti. Everything else doesn't deserve my read

1 Like

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by Deadlytruth(m): 10:55pm On Jan 24, 2018
macof:

I'm Ekiti. Everything else doesn't deserve my read

You are an Ife guy. The average Ekiti man is educated enough not to try to sustain a debate with transparent lies. Moreover Ekiti is close enough to Akoko-Edo for an Ekiti man to know that no Akoko-Edo town was founded by Yorubas.
The glaring falsehood in your claims here are evidences that you speak from as far away as Ife which is actually your hometown and dwelling place.

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by kolexy(m): 6:34am On Jan 27, 2018
scholes0:

Okun is Yoruba 100% pure and simple.
The name "Okun" actually come from the Yoruba word "Okun- take it easy" which is the way they are popularly known to greet one another.
Okun is one of the Yoruba sub-groups others being Ijesha, Ekiti, Akoko, Ijebu, Igbomina, Egba, Ilaje, Oyo, Etc

Does Okun mean take it easy or how are you?
Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by kolexy(m): 6:45am On Jan 27, 2018
Deadlytruth:

Binis are not like Yorubas who abuse political power to impose their culture on others. It is on record that since the creation of Midwest and Edo State the Bini governors that have ruled did not at any time issue any policy that made it compulsory for all primary and secondary schools pupils in the state to offer Bini Language. Each village's schools have always been allowed to freely teach the indigenous language of its inhabitants to their pupils and students. This is clearly unlike under the Western Region government which made it compulsory for Yoruba to be offered in schools located outside the non-Yoruba parts of the region. So stop making inverted accusations.
Our decision to join the Midwest Region was out of free will and not coercion from the Binis. So if our traditional figures begin to put on skirts or whatever you call it, then just know it is also a free will thing. Bini culture is too rich and alluring for them to force anyone to identify with it, rather others Edos do so spontaneously because they are really offshoots of Benin coupled with the attractiveness of the culture.
So you can take your divide and rule tactics to the Igbos calling your Lagos State a no man's land which you prove right by voting them into the Lagos State House of Assembly and also to the National Assembly to represent Lagos constituencies.

I think we should be able to make our points without insulting each other.

I once read an interview of Prof Michael Ayodele Ajomo. He claims to be from a Yoruba village now part of Edo state. I don't know the name, but I believe it is in Akoko Edo. So I believe some people or villages in Akoko Edo have Yoruba origins. A town like Igarra is clearly Egbira.

2 Likes

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by kolexy(m): 7:06am On Jan 27, 2018
ImperialYoruba:
Me hule, mo bo wa, mo wa ba omi, omi dede ti baje, mo gha to pe, me ru ukankan mo!

This is Yoruba unadulterated.

Sounds like Idanre/Ondo town Yoruba
Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by Deadlytruth(m): 7:14am On Jan 27, 2018
kolexy:

I think we should be able to make our points without insulting each other.

I once read an interview of Prof Michael Ayodele Ajomo. He claims to be from a Yoruba village now part of Edo state. I don't know the name, but I believe it is in Akoko Edo. So I believe some people or villages in Akoko Edo have Yoruba origins. A town like Igarra is clearly Egbira.

Thanks very much for your observation on abusive language. This guy called macof started it all by derogatorily tagging me an empty headed Bini just because I took him up with facts and logic.

Well, you see, a lot of Ibillo folks are confused about Ibillo history. I think the fault emanates from Ibillo elders who up till now have never sat down and come out with an account of how Ibillo came to be. If you arrive Ibillo and take random opinions about their origin you will be shocked at how varied the responses would be.
This explains Prof Michael Ayodele Ajomo's situation.

Even in Igarra, the people initially used to claim Idah Origin due to the seeming similarity between the pronunciations and spellings of Igarra and Igala. It was just 2 decades ago that deep research showed that Igarras actually migrated from somewhere into Kwararafa Kingdom and later moved to Idah before moving down to Etuno.

Ibillo people clearly belong to the Okpameri tribe which is composed of other towns like Imoga, Lampese, Ugboshi Ele, Ugboshi Afe, Ojirami Petesh, Bekumah, Ekor, Ilekpi, Somorika etc. They all speak Okpameri which is Edoid, and defer to Ibillo as their cultural headquarter. So how could Ibillo people alone have come from Yorubaland to become tribally identical with other villages composed of Bini Migrants? It is like an Igbo man migrating to found a town in Ondo State and afterwards that Igbo town becomes 100℅ identical in language and traditions with its surrounding Yoruba towns, and in fact becomes the cultural headquarters of those Yoruba towns which were already in existence before its own founder arrived. How really possible?

Point of correction please; Igarra is not Egbira at all. Those called Egbiras are located in Kogi State. Igarra and Egbira people are both independent subsets of the Oshuku tribe which even has members in Yala LGA of Cross River State. It is wrong to assume that Igarras are a subset of Egbiras. Please read the previous messages here and you'll get to understand this better.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by kolexy(m): 7:46am On Jan 27, 2018
Deadlytruth:

Thanks very much for your observation on abusive language. This guy called macof started it all by derogatorily tagging me an empty headed Bini just because I took him up with facts and logic.

Well, you see, a lot of Ibillo folks are confused about Ibillo history. I think the fault emanates from Ibillo elders who up till now have never sat down and come out with an account of how Ibillo came to be. If you arrive Ibillo and take random opinions about their origin you will be shocked at how varied the responses would be.
This explains Prof Michael Ayodele Ajomo's situation.

Even in Igarra, the people initially used to claim Idah Origin due to the seeming similarity between the pronunciations and spellings of Igarra and Igala. It was just 2 decades ago that deep research showed that Igarras actually migrated from somewhere into Kwararafa Kingdom and later moved to Idah before moving down to Etuno.

Ibillo people clearly belong to the Okpameri tribe which is composed of other towns like Imoga, Lampese, Ugboshi Ele, Ugboshi Afe, Ojirami Petesh, Bekumah, Ekor, Ilekpi, Somorika etc. They all speak Okpameri which is Edoid, and defer to Ibillo as their cultural headquarter. So how could Ibillo people alone have come from Yorubaland to become tribally identical with other villages composed of Bini Migrants? It is like an Igbo man migrating to found a town in Ondo State and afterwards that Igbo town becomes 100℅ identical in language and traditions with its surrounding Yoruba towns, and in fact becomes the cultural headquarters of those Yoruba towns which were already in existence before its own founder arrived. How really possible?

Point of correction please; Igarra is not Egbira at all. Those called Egbiras are located in Kogi State. Igarra and Egbira people are both independent subsets of the Oshuku tribe which even has members in Yala LGA of Cross River State. It is wrong to assume that Igarras are a subset of Egbiras. Please read the previous messages here and you'll get to understand this better.

Is the Prof from Ibillo? I don't agree with you that the Prof is confused about his ancestry.
Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by Deadlytruth(m): 7:55am On Jan 27, 2018
kolexy:

Is the Prof from Ibillo? I don't agree with you that the Prof is confused about his ancestry.
Being a Prof in academics does not automatically confer one with accurate and deep knowledge of one's roots.
The case I mentioned of Igarra people initially believing they were from Igala had Igarra professors who fell for that narrative.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by ochukp(m): 11:58am On Jan 27, 2018
Can someone please help me with the price of the entry fee to the following Tourist Centers in Benin
*Royal Palace of the Oba
*The Benin Moat
*Benin City National Museum
*Okomu National Park
Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by Olu317(m): 9:59pm On Jan 27, 2018
Deadlytruth:

Being a Prof in academics does not automatically confer one with accurate and deep knowledge of one's roots.
The case I mentioned of Igarra people initially believing they were from Igala had Igarra professors who fell for that narrative.
I have been following your opinion and your emotional attachment to Akoko Edos. It is so unfortunate that people opined on social media without considering the larger implication of what they stand for . It is shocking to see your denials as regard the elders in Some places claiming Yoruba ancestry as appalling because you claim, they are uneducated and ignorant of their real connection. Funny enough, Bini proper worship Ogun/Ogum as god of iron , who was also known as god of iron in Yoruba land as well . I have never seen anything as opined in this manner as you have tried to do. I had mention in the past that the late Enigmatic Akoko Edo lawyer known as Fred Agbaje claimed, their ancestors were yoruba ancestors.Professor, Ajomo claim it again ,you try to suppress the truth . You must be a hilarious person within your environment. I want to let you know that the information contrary to yours on this forum didnt deny the fact that other Edoid groups migrated to different places to fuse with others,even in Ibillo etc. The point here is,what is the reason denying the truth,if you are named deadlytruth?. Being broadminded is,what you need imbibe. Anyway, it just testified to the egocentric nature of man as a whole. Yoruba indeed influenced Akoko Edo and Bini kingdom as a whole.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by jara: 12:50am On Jan 28, 2018
AxxeMan,

You have the monumental task of changing history jumping from one thread to another to contradict the Yoruba root of Ogiso and later the Youba OBA that brought Bini into prominence.

You are the product of the defeated Ogiamen. The fight is over. The royals of Bini maintain their Yoruba blood and name. If you do not have any of the two, you will remain miserable trying to impose the view of Ogiamen, a temporary caretaker that aspired to become a ruler. Just as he was rejected then, Bini royal blood of Yoruba will reject you now.

Find your level Ogiamen children.

AxxeMan:
[s][/s]

Yoruba or whatever you are called by the Fulani's influenced no one rather it is the so called Yoruba's that were heavyling infleuced by other tribes E.g The Great Benin Empire on Ondo Ekiti and the Edo Ownership of Lagos etc and also the Hausa and nupe influence in Oyo and Osun.

So Mr lair think twice before you type nonsense!

Yoruba influenced nothing!! Absolutely Nothing! Get off your hungry and hagard horse and kiss the truth!

Nonsense !!
Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by Deadlytruth(m): 4:51am On Jan 28, 2018
Olu317:
I have been following your opinion and your emotional attachment to Akoko Edos. It is a so unfortunate that people opined on social media without considering the larger implication of what they stand for . It is shocking to see your denials as regard the elders in Some places claiming Yoruba ancestry as appalling because you claim, they are uneducated and ignorant of their real connection. Funny enough, Bini proper worship Ogun/Ogum as god of iron , who was also known as god of iron in Yoruba land as well . I have never seen anything as opined in this manner as you have tried to do. I had mention in the past that the late Enigmatic Akoko Edo lawyer known as Fred Agbaje claimed, their ancestors were yoruba ancestors.Professor, Ajomo claim it again ,you try to suppress the truth . You must be a hilarious person within your environment. I want to let you know that the information contrary to yours on this forum didnt deny the fact that other Edoid groups migrated to different places to fuse with others,even in Ibillo etc. The point here is,what is the reason denying the truth,if you are named deadlytruth?. Being broadminded is,what you need imbibe. Anyway, it just testified to the egocentric nature of man as a whole. Yoruba indeed influenced Akoko Edo and Bini kingdom as a whole.

If you were honest and not simply on a mission to impose Yorubaness on the actually non-Yoruba people of Akoko-Edo, you would not have failed to observe the inconsistency of some of your fellow Yorubas here that first started with the claim that most Akoko-Edo towns were founded by Yorubas, and when that was proven wrong they quickly shifted the goal post to the claim that they were only talking of Yoruba influence in Akoko-Edo. How on earth did you fail to see this inconsistency but saw a non-existent emotional attachment in my responses?
And for you to describe the presentation of undisputable facts as emotional attachment while implicitly endorsing Your Yoruba brothers' inconsistencies and obvious fallacies here as non-emotional attachments is an evidence that words are fast losing their meanings in Nigeria just because certain people wish to impose their own identities on others. Such should be a shame in civilized climes which unfortunately Nigeria is far from.

It is indeed shocking that you saw only my denial of the phantom Yoruba influence but you were completely blind to the asinine claim by your brothers that there are Yoruba founded towns in Akoko-Edo.
That alone shows that you yourself are actually guilty of the emotional attachment you accuse me of.
I keep wondering why Yorubas like you believe you can know me more than I know myself as as Akoko-Edo person.
After having all your lies and fabrications punctured and swept away with hard facts and simple logic from Akoko-Edo people themselves, rather than accept that you and your folks had been ignorant in the past, the next thing for you is to patronized this childish emotional outburst above.
Must every tribe be forced to assume they are Yorubas?
Your likes sit far away in Yorubaland and impose Yorubaness on others whose communities you have never and will never likely visit.
This assumption of Yorubaness for Akoko-Edo is similar to how most Southerners assume that the Middle Belters are Hausa-Fulanis until the day they travel to the Northern parts of the country to live among and interact with the Middle Beltern tribes on a first hand basis.
Please be informed that the demographic fraud called WAZOBIA which has obviously created in you the perception that only Hausa, Yoruba and Igbo exist in and own Nigeria is no longer tenable.

On the claim of Late Fred Agbaje which you now tenaciously hold onto as your only remaining lifeline in this expansionism enterprise: I thought my explanation that Akoko-Edos living in Yorubaland are fond of seeking political relevance among Yorubas by faking Yorubaness should do? If you had imbibed the broad-mindedness you seem to preach here you definitely wouldn't have stuck to the opinion of just an individual Fred Agbaje while neglecting the opinion of majority of Ibillo people themselves.
Whenever Oba Akiolu, a supposed Yoruba monarch in possession of a high level of credibility conferred on him by his throne, claims that Binis founded Lagos and that he himself is a Bini descendant; how come your likes always vilify him and denounce it as an individual's opinion despite you being supposedly "broad-minded"?
You did not accept Oba Akiolu's more authoritative individual position but you want us to accept Fred Agbaje's less authoritative individual opinion, right? Mountainous hypocrisy!

Mind you that unlike Late Fred Agbaje, Oba Akiolu does not live in Edo State hence can't be making those Bini descent claims in search for political relevance among Edos. In fact judging from his threat to drown Lagos resident Igbos in the Lagoon if they voted for Jimi Agbaje of PDP, it becomes an obvious testimonial that he has no use for political correctness, and that whatever he voices out is his sincere and genuine opinion.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by AxxeMan: 5:30am On Jan 28, 2018
Deadlytruth:

If you were honest and not simply on a mission to impose Yorubaness on the actually non-Yoruba people of Akoko-Edo, you would not have failed to observe the inconsistency of some of your fellow Yorubas here that first started with the claim that most Akoko-Edo towns were founded by Yorubas, and when that was proven wrong they quickly shifted the goal post to the claim that they were only talking of Yoruba influence in Akoko-Edo. How on earth did you fail to see this inconsistency but saw a non-existent emotional attachment in my responses?
And for you to describe the presentation of undisputable facts as emotional attachment while implicitly endorsing Your Yoruba brothers' inconsistencies and obvious fallacies here as non-emotional attachments is an evidence that words are fast losing their meanings in Nigeria just because certain people wish to impose their own identities on others. Such should be a shame in civilized climes which unfortunately Nigeria is far from.

It is indeed shocking that you saw only my denial of the phantom Yoruba influence but you were completely blind to the asinine claim by your brothers that there are Yoruba founded towns in Akoko-Edo.
That alone shows that you yourself are actually guilty of the emotional attachment you accuse me of.
I keep wondering why Yorubas like you believe you can know me more than I know myself as as Akoko-Edo person.
After having all your lies and fabrications punctured and swept away with hard facts and simple logic from Akoko-Edo people themselves, rather than accept that you and your folks had been ignorant in the past, the next thing for you is to patronized this childish emotional outburst above.
Your likes sit far away in Yorubaland and impose Yorubaness on others whose communities you have never and will never likely visit.
This assumption of Yorubaness for Akoko-Edo is similar to how most Southerners assume that the Middle Belters are Hausa-Fulanis until the day they travel to the Northern parts of the country to live among and interact with the Middle Beltern tribes on a first hand basis.
Please be informed that the demographic fraud called WAZOBIA which has obviously created in you the perception that only Hausa, Yoruba and Igbo exist in and own Nigeria is no longer tenable.

On the claim of Late Fred Agbaje which you now tenaciously hold onto as your only remaining lifeline in this expansionism enterprise: I thought my explanation that Akoko-Edos living in Yorubaland are fond of seeking political relevance among Yorubas by faking Yorubaness should do? If you had imbibed the broad-mindedness you seem to preach here you definitely wouldn't have stuck to the opinion of just an individual Fred Agbaje while neglecting the opinion of majority of Ibillo people themselves.
Whenever Oba Akiolu, a supposed Yoruba monarch in possession of a high level of credibility conferred on him by his throne, claims that Binis founded Lagos and that he himself is a Bini descendant; how come your likes always vilify him and denounce it as an individual's opinion despite you being supposedly "broad-minded"?
You did not accept Oba Akiolu's more authoritative individual position but you want us to accept Fred Agbaje's less authoritative individual opinion, right? Mountainous hypocrisy!

Mind you that unlike Late Fred Agbaje, Oba Akiolu does not live in Edo State hence can't be making those Bini descent claims in search for political relevance among Edos. In fact judging from his threat to drown Lagos resident Igbos in the Lagoon if they voted for Jimi Agbaje of PDP, is a testimonial that he has no use for political correctness, and that whatever he voices out is his sincere and genuine opinion.

Don't waste your time typing long episodes for morons ....... They are irrelevant people in our scheme of things , let them keep buying useless thrones , while we Edo's keep multiplying in greatness and prominence !!

They do not match up with us on any level, apart from churning out babies per second which is thier only achievement

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by AxxeMan: 5:33am On Jan 28, 2018
https://guardian.ng/news/more-aspirants-emerge-for-ooni-of-ife-stool/

grin grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy

Such a useless irrelevant 419throne

Hahaha dem dey buy jamb form grin grin cheesy

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by Olu317(m): 9:11am On Jan 28, 2018
Deadlytruth:

Mind you that unlike Late Fred Agbaje, Oba Akiolu does not live in Edo State hence can't be making those Bini descent claims in search for political relevance among Edos. In fact judging from his threat to drown Lagos resident Igbos in the Lagoon if they voted for Jimi Agbaje of PDP, it becomes an obvious testimonial that he has no use for political correctness, and that whatever he voices out is his sincere and genuine opinion.
Again, you blundered . The only insistence on this thread is that part of community within Akoko -Edo were founded by Yoruba migrants . And this opinion has been backed up by names of Yoruba's ancestry .Why dont you accept the truth?Even if you accuse , some Yorubas on here because of emotional attachment, are they not justified? After all, some Edo were emotional too. And this showed all humans are all with their flaws. But on this contentious issue,Yorubas have given out Yoruba identifiable names within Akoko Edo. Anyway, you are entitled to your opinion so I am.
Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by AdeizaPaul: 9:36am On Jan 28, 2018
Deadlytruth:

I have been following this discussion very closely and I must say that you seem to have a thing against Yorubas either that or you just aren't a fan of them.

How can you continue to insist that the yorubas are the ones forcing 'Yorubaness' over Akoko-Edo people , a people who have been in a separate region since 1963, over 54 years! Isn't that enough time for every man to chart his own destiny?

Take it or leave it, the influence of Yorubas in Akoko Edo is undeniable. The influence of ethnic majorities over surrounding ethnic minorities is inevitable, it is a fact of Life. I have met people from Biase and Abi local governments of cross river state who are not Igbo people having Igbo names.

I am from Adavi local government and even though we are in Kogi state NC Nigeria, never have we for once ever been under the Western region, yet so many Ebiras have Yoruba names, I am not joking, go to places like ihima and check for yourself. So, it would be wrong of you to keep saying, ohh The Yoruba influence seen amongst us is because of Western region, lol, were the Agenebode's not under the same western region , or the Agbors?

You are calling the Ibillo man here "Confused" while parading your own views as sacrosanct, You even said Akoko Edo has been ridden of all Yoruba influences which I personally know to be a pure lie, lol. Ogori people who are your closest neighbours in Kogi are usually trilingual in Oko, Yoruba and Ebira without leaving their towns. Is that also a case of Western region influence or simply influence of a neighbouring majority on surrounding tribes?

Let us have an objective discussion. These people are not Yorubas but pls, people are not stupid. We are even talking about ibillo, what if we start talking about Ekor and imoga that are absolutely no different from Yorubas with all their C.A.C Oke Isegun and Oke Igbala churches grin?

Unless you carry that entire area and move it to another place, neighbours will always interact. as I speak to you I can tell you that nothing less that 30% of Ososo town are of Ebira origin and there are quarters there that are majority Ebira. So yes while ososo town might have been initially completely edoid, same can not be said of Ososo of now, who is to say all those Yoruba place names in Ibillo and co were not first founded by Yoruba people?

Stop dealing with history like someone looking at a landscape through a tube, who only sees only what is straight ahead in front of the open end of the pipe but incapable of seeing all the surrounding complexities.

@Ezanafe

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by AxxeMan: 10:22am On Jan 28, 2018
[s]
AdeizaPaul:

I have been following this discussion very closely and I must say that you seem to have a thing against Yorubas either that or you just aren't a fan of them.

How can you continue to insist that the yorubas are the ones forcing 'Yorubaness' over Akoko-Edo people , a people who have been in a separate region since 1963, over 54 years! Isn't that enough time for every man to chart his own destiny?

Take it or leave it, the influence of Yorubas in Akoko Edo is undeniable. The influence of ethnic majorities over surrounding ethnic minorities is inevitable, it is a fact of Life. I have met people from Biase and Abi local governments of cross river state who are not Igbo people having Igbo names.

I am from Adavi local government and even though we are in Kogi state NC Nigeria, never have we for once ever been under the Western region, yet so many Ebiras have Yoruba names, I am not joking, go to places like ihima and check for yourself. So, it would be wrong of you to keep saying, ohh The Yoruba influence seen amongst us is because of Western region, lol, were the Agenebode's not under the same western region , or the Agbors?

You are calling the Ibillo man here "Confused" while parading your own views as sacrosanct, You even said Akoko Edo has been ridden of all Yoruba influences which I personally know to be a pure lie, lol. Ogori people who are your closest neighbours in Kogi are usually trilingual in Oko, Yoruba and Ebira without leaving their towns. Is that also a case of Western region influence or simply influence of a neighbouring majority on surrounding tribes?

Let us have an objective discussion. These people are not Yorubas but pls, people are not stupid. We are even talking about ibillo, what if we start talking about Ekor and imoga that are absolutely no different from Yorubas with all their C.A.C Oke Isegun and Oke Igbala churches grin?

Unless you carry that entire area and move it to another place, neighbours will always interact. as I speak to you I can tell you that nothing less that 30% of Ososo town are of Ebira origin and there are quarters there that are majority Ebira. So yes while ososo town might have been initially completely edoid, same can not be said of Ososo of now, who is to say all those Yoruba place names in Ibillo and co were not first founded by Yoruba people?

Stop dealing with history like someone looking at a landscape through a tube, who only sees only what is straight ahead in front of the open end of the pipe but incapable of seeing all the surrounding complexities.

@Ezanafe
[/s]

All this rumbling and you still managed to make zero sense !!

All I got from this rubbish you typed is that you are as irrelevant has the corner you are from in kogi!

If your village in kogi choose to kiss ass grin that's your cross, but when it comes to Edos matter shut the fuvvck up ,your myopic views are neither needed nor wanted!!

Come on get lost!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by AdeizaPaul: 10:30am On Jan 28, 2018
AxxeMan:
[s][/s]

All this rumbling and you still managed to make zero sense !!

All I got from this rubbish you typed is that you are as irrelevant has the corner you are from in kogi!

If your village in kogi choose to kiss ass grin that's your cross, but when it comes to Edos matter shut the fuvvck up ,your myopic views are neither needed nor wanted!!

Come on get lost!!

I quoted a human being from Akoko Edo, not you.
Don't you have some italian returnees to go save?

3 Likes

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by AxxeMan: 10:32am On Jan 28, 2018
[s]
AdeizaPaul:

I quoted a human being from Akoko Edo, not you.
Don't you have some italian returnees to go save?
[/s]

I have given you your 2mins of attention now fvvck off

Don't you have some kogi goats and sheep's to mate with?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by AdeizaPaul: 10:34am On Jan 28, 2018
AxxeMan:
[s][/s]

I have given you your 2mins of attention now fvvck off

Don't you have some kogi goats and sheep's to mate with?

Once again I never quoted you, bini boy!
so take your 2 minutes and shove it where the sun don't shine.

1 Like

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by AxxeMan: 10:38am On Jan 28, 2018
Never knew sheep's and goats from a corner in kogi now talk grin grin grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by AdeizaPaul: 10:39am On Jan 28, 2018
AxxeMan:

Get the fvvck off this thread , you are a non entity from kogi who wandered into where he isn't wanted nor needed!

Irrelevant kid , from a corner in kogi , with nothing to show in life other than kissing ass!

Get lost, your sheep and goats are waiting!

bla bla bla
Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by Nobody: 1:52pm On Jan 28, 2018
AdeizaPaul:

You are looking at the problem upside down, you need to ask yourself why the people of Bendel state (including Akoko-Edo) voted overwhelmingly to leave the south-west and be a state of their own. This is recent history, all relevant documents are available. It is very simple, we are not yoruba and we are tired of yoruba trying to impose itself on us. The biggest difference between us and yoruba is that our history is written on papers several hundred years old while yoruba are making up their "history".
I would just like to know why you yoruba keep trying to claim one group of the Edo people after an other.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by Nobody: 1:58pm On Jan 28, 2018
Olu317:
You never made sense before and you are still not making sene now.
Akoko Edo are Edo, not yoruba ! It is that simple. The Edo are a people, all of them are Edo and only Edo, they don't have duplicity of "tribe".
Edo and Edo only.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by AdeizaPaul: 3:13pm On Jan 28, 2018
historyworld031:

You are looking at the problem upside down, you need to ask yourself why the people of Bendel state (including Akoko-Edo) voted overwhelmingly to leave the south-west and be a state of their own. This is recent history, all relevant documents are available. It is very simple, we are not yoruba and we are tired of yoruba trying to impose itself on us. The biggest difference between us and yoruba is that our history is written on papers several hundred years old while yoruba are making up their "history".
I would just like to know why you yoruba keep claiming one group of the Edo people after an other.

I am not looking at it upside down or anything. I am not even sure you understood all I typed.
Are you the same person as that insultive braggart from Benin who curses and gets all randy for no reason? I made my submission and he immediately attacked me like I stole his Euro or something.
Understand my position before you reply me, I have never claimed the people from that area are Yorubas, besides even if they were Yorubas, who doesn't want to be in a state of their own?

Didn't the Ekitis clamor to be removed from the Ondo people, even though thy are both Yoruba?

My point was that the Akoko Edos have been alone (At least politically) for running up to 55 years now, and you can't keep saying that political dominance by Yoruba is the SOLE reason for their seemingly Yoruba general gravitation. That was why I mentioned non Yoruba communities of Kogi that seem to be in that same cultural situation (Ogori, Magongo, and some parts of Ebira).

They are simply like that due to natural reasons rather than anything political.

3 Likes

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by Deadlytruth(m): 3:19pm On Jan 28, 2018
AdeizaPaul:

@Ezanafe

Merely following a thread is totally different from reading it with comprehension. You obviously refused to comprehend the contents. Your claim of being an Ebira man yet fighting Yoruba battle is queer. Yes I have something against the Yorubas, and that is their overbearing attitude and their claim of founding Akoko-Edo towns which is pure falsehood.
I am sure you will give them a pat on the back the day they claim they founded Okene, Ihima, Ogaminana, Kuroko, and other Ebira settlements.

You laboured to sound unbiased but your illogicality gave you away. Your attempt to deny the effect of Western Region in the Akoko-Edo identity crisis is laughable. You rhetorically asked whether the bearing of Yoruba names by Egbiras also means they were once in the Western Region, and then sighted other watery evidences against the Western Region's administration factor.
If the bearing of Yoruba names by Egbiras negates the Western Region's effect as you would have us believe, then how come none of your present Ebira LGAs ever used the 'Akoko' tag in its name?
Why didn't you Ebiras give your LGAs names like Akoko-Okene, Akoko-Adavi, Akoko-Ihima, etc to prove that it does not take once being in the Western Region to be that Influenced by Yorubaism as you want your gullible readers to believe? Why don't you also sing your Ekuochi songs in Yoruba to also prove that 'point'?
Your claim that Yorubas are not imposing themselves on other tribes on account of the 1963 parting of ways is funny.
The Western Region was created in about 1951 and operated as a Yoruba dominated autonomous region for 12 years during which they made policies through which the minorities were forcefully Yorubalized to an extent.
But just three years after the parting of ways in 1963, the military misadventured into politics, seized power, dismantled regional autonomy and imposed unitary system which we have had to live with in all the 55 years thereafter. How easy is it for each tribe to chart her own identity under unitary system if I may ask you? The mere attempt to change your LGA's name requires the National Assembly to debate it as a bill and either reject or accept it. I doubt if you have any understanding of the near impossibility of self assertion by individual tribes or ethnicities under a system defined by very weak subnational units at the mercy of an overwhelmingly strong centre. Of course, being one of the Northerners currently resisting a return to the 1960 constitution, I don't expect you to have known this. But you can avail yourself with Chief Obafemi Awolowo's written works on thoughts about Nigeria's freedom in which he X-rayed the dangers inherent in experimentation with unitary system in a multi-ethnic democracy like ours.

The Etsakos and Aniomas whom you call Agenebodes and Agbors in error did not share boundaries with Yorubaland unlike Akoko-Edo hence the Yoruba influence was minimal even though some Etsakos too do have Yoruba names.

Your reference to Ogori is another fallacy. Much as Ogori is trilingual, the undiluted Ogori Language is not mutually intelligible with Yoruba, and the LGA in which Ogori is domiciled does not have the 'Akoko' tag as they were never part of the Western Region. What they call it is Ogori-Magongo LGA with HQ at Akpafa.

I could not however see how your analysis on Ososo, Imoga and Ekor is related to the topic under debate. That Ebira migrants make up 30℅ of Ososo can't credit Ebiras with the founding of Ososo any more than the 40℅ Igbo population of Lagos, as we are told, can credit Igbos with founding of the city. So I don't get your point there.

Your question on who is to say about who founded Akoko-Edo towns is at best hypocritic because I, an Akoko-Edo person, is to say rather than you a Kogite. More Ibillo people have come up here to explain that Yorubas did not found Ibillo but you still point to the OP as if all it takes for one's information on a NL thread to be authentic is being the OP of that thread.

Above all these, what I see in you is a hidden grouse over my detailed explanations of the independent status of Igarra from Ebira. We all in Akoko-Edo understand that Ebiras have always sought to do a fraudulent reclassification of all Oshukus as subsets of Ebiras with Igarras most particularly resistant to it on account of the superior status conferred on them by historical primogeniture right over the others. That we even began to hear distortions as Ebira-Etuno is enough indication of the extent to which you Ebiras would rather go to re-colonize and suppress the separate identities of other Oshukus.
When you see Igarrans you call them annavi meaning bush people but when it comes to seeking political relevance on a national scale you try to describe them as Ebiras just to make up the numbers required. Igarras are not Ebiras and Ebiras are not Igarras. Igarras are the Oshuku descendants of Ozoko while Ebiras descended from Itaazi.
Finally, stop looking at a people's concern through the perspective of others but themselves.

The CAC church is a Yoruba movement thus frequently founded by Yorubas everywhere. So their being named Oke Igbala or Isegun in Ekor and Imoga does not translate to these towns being founded by Yorubas any more than the names Anglican and Catholic translate their host towns and cities within Nigeria to being founded by Britons and Italians

3 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Alaafin Of Oyo, Lamidi Adeyemi & His Wives At His Daughter's wedding (Photos) / “The Next Ooni Will Not Eat Sijuwade’s Heart” - Ife Chief / The Beauty Of Northern Nigerian Women

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 135
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.