Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,412 members, 7,808,467 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:25 PM

My Experience With The T Mobile G1 - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / My Experience With The T Mobile G1 (4065 Views)

My Experience With Android Phones So Far (photos) / My Experience With Techno And Its Service Agent, Carlcare. / Factory Unlock Iphone 4, 4s, 5, 5c And 5S On Verizon, ATT, T-mobile (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Experience With The T Mobile G1 by sojioguns(m): 10:10am On Dec 20, 2008
Today will mark the 4th day I would be using this marvelous piece of gadgetry and I must say it has been an awesome experience. I was searching so hard for the HTC touch pro but didn't get that from our famous Computer village. I must confess, shelling out quite a bit of cash for the G1 was a huge gamble that has payed off tremendously.
Quickly check the link for a quick overview.
http://www.htc.com/www/product/g1/overview.html
The 1st day was almost hell and I was considering returning the phone. First of all you cannot do anything with the phone without connecting with Google servers. I had to manually configure the MTN GPRS settings and after connecting it downloaded all my email and data VERY quickly. Another thing that put me off was the fact that IT COULD NOT SYNC WITH MY APPLE MACBOOK PRO, which had all the data from my previous Nokia e61i. After a bit of research I found that the best way was to first transfer all my contact data to the Google servers then sync Gmail data. I did this by exporting the contacts from iSync then importing the file in Gmail (via a web browser). After I did this, all my data was synced with the phone.
Apart from the first few hours, I must say I LOVE THIS PHONE!!!!!. The phone has a very fast processor and is sooo responsive (about 10 times faster than the e61i I hated). The touch screen is impressive and gives the same touch and drag feeling as the iPhone apart from multi touch. The best part of the phone is the OS, linux based, which is open source and this means the future of this platform (Android) has not even started. As we speak I have installed several FREE apps from the internet.
Another point worth mentioning is the fact that the phone is purely a data (internet) oriented one. I loves the internet. This could tell on your telephone bills because the phone just keeps on connecting automatically, either searching for updates or syncing mail. The first day cost me about N2000 in phone bills. I searched for a solution and found an app that allows you to disable all data connections. This is very handy.
I cannot begin to say how glad I am for purchasing the phone.
THANKS GOOGLE.
Re: My Experience With The T Mobile G1 by Alireta: 3:02pm On Dec 20, 2008
interesting.

The contact syncing procedure does sound hectic - especially for non-Geek users. Any hope that its not so difficult syncing with Windows?

By the way, how much did you pick the G1 for, and where in Nigeria? The second Android-based phone, the Agora (and its sibling the Agora Pro) should be out in January. It has the same form factor as the Samsung i780 and will be available online only from the manufacturer's website.
Re: My Experience With The T Mobile G1 by sojioguns(m): 1:10am On Dec 21, 2008
Currently the phone has no desktop software for syncing. But I am sure with time, it would improve. As for the Agora, I saw the website and well, all I can say is let us wait and see. As for where I got the phone, a guy that supplies my friends and I phones brought it to me.
Re: My Experience With The T Mobile G1 by chaplin123: 6:49am On Dec 22, 2008
so interesting! and my cheap nokia mobile phone also bring so much fun
Re: My Experience With The T Mobile G1 by taraji: 8:50pm On Jan 15, 2009
hey siojuns i just got my g1 n im having problems activating it could you please post the mtn apn and how you unlocked yours. thanks a lot kiss
Re: My Experience With The T Mobile G1 by lalaboi(m): 11:25pm On Jan 15, 2009
G1 soooooooo sweet.

Fastest internet EVER!! nice qwerty keyboard. interface just ok (iphone got d best)

got a ball bointer like a mouse, so u dnt av to use the touch screen all the time. . . . . . sms too gbaski. enough aplications aswell

Only bad thing is u cant download from the internet, even mp3. . . . .nonetheless

I'm loving it!
Re: My Experience With The T Mobile G1 by sojioguns(m): 11:35pm On Jan 15, 2009
I got mine unlocked already but the MTN APN settings are here:

Connection name: MTN GPRS
IP address: 010.199.212.002
username: web
password: web
apn: web.gprs.mtnnigeria.net
port: 8080

for mms
message server - http://10.199.212.8/servlets/mms
Re: My Experience With The T Mobile G1 by szgp: 5:28pm On Jan 16, 2009
That is good job.
The google G2,you can visit this link:
http://www.sogophone.com/sdp/759899/4/pd-3975267/5013216-1629301.html
Re: My Experience With The T Mobile G1 by sojioguns(m): 5:44pm On Jan 16, 2009
@szgp, Sorry to say I dont think your G2 is authentic. I am sure it is just one Chinese phone with Android installed. Remember the hype that came with the G1, besides the G1 brand name is owned by Tmobile, hence the G2 will be Tmobile too.
Re: My Experience With The T Mobile G1 by blackweaver(m): 10:44pm On Jan 17, 2009
@sojioguns
you must be a big boy to use such a big phone, well for those of us broke asses who can't afford to
spend a few hundred buck anytime we want to sync data we'll just settle for the normal ever cheaper
nokia n samsung smartphones
Re: My Experience With The T Mobile G1 by lynxnoon(m): 2:21pm On Jan 18, 2009
Yeah
Stil enjoyn my Nokia 6120classic
Re: My Experience With The T Mobile G1 by sojioguns(m): 11:50am On Jan 24, 2009
@blackweaver, I don't use MTN data everytime. The phone has Wifi too so I easily sync when in the office.
Re: My Experience With The T Mobile G1 by taraji: 8:40pm On Jan 29, 2009
hi siojoguns finallyt got round to my g1 and im finding it difficult to activate it do u change the settings for just one of the tmobile ones and what are the exact things for
Name
apn
proxy
portusername
password
server
mmsc
mmsproxy
mms port
mcc
mnc
apn type
Re: My Experience With The T Mobile G1 by taraji: 5:17pm On Jan 30, 2009
oh ya n my gi shows an x by the service bars did yours do that
Re: My Experience With The T Mobile G1 by taraji: 5:47pm On Jan 30, 2009
and ya does neone no where i can go to activate my g1 or any references cuz its driving me mad n its already unlocked.i need help please my old phone is , n i really need to start using my new one
Re: My Experience With The T Mobile G1 by logicbaba: 7:46am On Jan 31, 2009
Guys, I did a factory reset for my G1 and configured the APN for MTN GPRS, i can't still power it on, can someone help
Re: My Experience With The T Mobile G1 by nytrozd: 7:43pm On May 23, 2009
can you please tell me the price or send me info of the person supplying you with phones.
Re: My Experience With The T Mobile G1 by Infoseye(m): 8:45am On May 24, 2009
logicbaba:

Guys, I did a factory reset for my G1 and configured the APN for MTN GPRS, i can't still power it on, can someone help

Make sure you have configured your network Apn correctly and the sim is activated for GPRS, also make sure you have creadit in your balance and most importantly there is GPRS service in your location.

If you still have problems then do the following:
Buy a Mtn sim and load 100 airtime or lend a Mtn sim that a friend as been using to browse already.
Turn your phone on and press menu
Then enter the following Mtn settings above some posted after make sure you save it before closing the menu.
Then enter your gmail user id and password.
That's all.
It worked for me and other friends that had the same problem, give me a feed back on how it went later.
Re: My Experience With The T Mobile G1 by Nobody: 10:12pm On Jul 03, 2009
@ g1 owners

How much did it cost u to get one and state whether it was new or used
Re: My Experience With The T Mobile G1 by Adeola007: 7:21pm On Jan 15, 2010
Hi, InfoSeye,
I managed to reset my G1 phone to factory setting, I have tried, without success to configure the APN or even use my wifi,
Can you please give me the details of the APN Settings you mentioned. There are more settings in there to configure than those mentioned.
Waiting anxiously for your kind response
Re: My Experience With The T Mobile G1 by moonraker(m): 12:44pm On Jan 16, 2010
got the G2 recently, will post my experience and some fotos soon
Re: My Experience With The T Mobile G1 by shaiguy(m): 1:00pm On Apr 14, 2010
I own the Google nexus phone and also a 17in macbook pro and i must say everything is fully in sync.
The secret here is a gmail account, with a valid gmail account, you can keep your whole life in sync.
Every single, contact, calendar entry i make on my nexus one is auto synced to my always on macbook pro laptop by the time i get home
Re: My Experience With The T Mobile G1 by keeptrying: 6:26pm On Jul 02, 2010
To adeola007 can you pls mail me at toy_afolabi@yahoo.com. thanks.urgent smiley
Re: My Experience With The T Mobile G1 by izzychap: 1:22am On Jul 18, 2011
@sojioguns, plz how much did u get ur Google g1, it sounds like nice phone. drop me email if u no want write am here. izzydegreat@hotmail.com

(1) (Reply)

20 Best Phones In The World Today! / Is Technology A Modernised Form Of Witchcraft? / Mtn Free Whatsapp Monthly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.