Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,678 members, 7,801,956 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:54 AM

5 Person Killed, Churches Burnt In Niger Over Charlie Hebdo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 5 Person Killed, Churches Burnt In Niger Over Charlie Hebdo (592 Views)

Photos Of Hausa Man Burnt In Aba Yesterday / Protesters Set Churches In Niger Republic On Fire Over Charlie Hebdo / Deadly Protests In Niger Republic Over Charlie Hebdo - Nigerians Beware!!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Person Killed, Churches Burnt In Niger Over Charlie Hebdo by kelechiodo(m): 9:45am On Jan 18, 2015
Five people were killed and churches set on fire in Niger in fresh protests against the French weekly Charlie Hebdo's cartoon of Mohammed, as France condemned the violence and asserted its commitment to freedom of expression.
With France still reeling from last week's attacks that claimed 17 lives, jittery European countries stepped up security, with soldiers patrolling the streets of Belgium for the first time in 35 years.
But anger mounted in several Muslim countries over the satirical newspaper's caricatures of the Prophet Mohammed, with a second day of rioting erupting in Niger, a predominantly Muslim former French colony.
Around 1,000 youths wielding iron bars, clubs and axes rampaged through the Niger capital, hurling rocks at police who responded with tear gas.
At least eight churches were torched and the French embassy in Niamey urged its citizens to stay at home.
"In Niamey, the tally is five dead, all civilians," Niger's President Mahamadou Issoufou said in a speech broadcast on state television, as he appealed for calm.
The death toll from riots a day earlier in Niger's second city of Zinder had climbed from four to five after a body was found "burned inside a church", he added.
http://news.yahoo.com/hollande-defends-freedom-expression-protests-094314179.html

When will our Africa muslim brothers allow what happens elsewhere to stay there. Why bring it home. When Osama was killed, they rioted in Nigeria, when a white man writes useless thing about their fate, they bring the issue here and start destroying properties. Let us learn to allow the western people to deal with their own issues.
Re: 5 Person Killed, Churches Burnt In Niger Over Charlie Hebdo by francizy(m): 10:06am On Jan 18, 2015
What's with these useless people.. What has a French man's stupidity got to do with innocent people. I just hope this stuff ain't true tho..
Re: 5 Person Killed, Churches Burnt In Niger Over Charlie Hebdo by Ibrahimmrfish(m): 10:27am On Jan 18, 2015
francizy:
What's with these useless people.. What has a French man's stupidity got to do with innocent Nigerians and churches. I just hope this stuff ain't true tho..
Niger republic not Niger state. Know the difference slow brain.
Re: 5 Person Killed, Churches Burnt In Niger Over Charlie Hebdo by francizy(m): 10:32am On Jan 18, 2015
Ibrahimmrfish:

Niger republic not Niger state. Know the difference slow brain.

Thanks for the complement man.
It has happened in Nigeria before so I wouldn't be wrong saying that. Fast brain.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Person Killed, Churches Burnt In Niger Over Charlie Hebdo by Nobody: 10:36am On Jan 18, 2015
To the Muslim folks, does the Quran justify this kind of violence? I really want to know.

I don't like cartoons in which Jesus is insulted either but I know that it would be ABSOLUTELY wrong to respond to them with violence.

(1) (Reply)

What GEJ Told Emir Sanusi In Kano / Wow! Buhari's Naked Pics Showing His Oldies / Oyo State 2015.....which Way

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.