Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,568 members, 7,809,070 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:18 PM

Another Million Naira Cucumber Experience Picture Diary. (YOP1 PROJECT) - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Another Million Naira Cucumber Experience Picture Diary. (YOP1 PROJECT) (20255 Views)

My Cucumber And Tomatoes Farm In Abakaliki, Ebonyi State / My Cucumber Farming Experience In Lagos / My Watermelon/cucumber Experience.by Iconfarms (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Another Million Naira Cucumber Experience Picture Diary. (YOP1 PROJECT) by jasper7(m): 12:58pm On Jan 18, 2015
Hey guys, About a month ago, young farmers gathered at Ogbomosho, hosted by our Landlord Hotmas911 and group President World1. They were trained on Cucumber, Tomatoes, Plaintain, Soya Beans and Sweet Potato.

There and then, we all decided to run a group project so that we can raise funds to develop the virgin land given to us by our Landlord Mr hotmas911. if you are conversant with virgin lands you'll know that, developing a virgin land especially for vegetable farming is not cheap at all (very capital intensive).

We were able to secure farmland somewhere in saki east L.G.A (still in oyo state). with the help of one of our own people and also Nairalander (Jethro2). The land is very close to a freshwater. so we don't have to worry about sinking borehole or digging well. we'll just channel water from the Dam, into our farm. cheesy.

The deal with the village head was that I train his people and in return, he'll give me land for our project

You might find this to be the most educative thread on vegetable farming here. because we are going to be uploading daily pictures and also writing on our progress and challenges.

My fingers are absolutely crossed because I promised the group members/Investors a 50% ROI after 3 months. very achievable but the God's grace is key here.

LET'S GO THERE!

1 Like

Re: Another Million Naira Cucumber Experience Picture Diary. (YOP1 PROJECT) by jasper7(m): 1:05pm On Jan 18, 2015
sorry guys, I have been on site for about a week now, so, I just have to run it through quickly. And get you guys upvto date with events.
Re: Another Million Naira Cucumber Experience Picture Diary. (YOP1 PROJECT) by jasper7(m): 1:06pm On Jan 18, 2015
Pls this a private account of the project and whatever is written here stands for my opinion only.

1 Like

Re: Another Million Naira Cucumber Experience Picture Diary. (YOP1 PROJECT) by jasper7(m): 1:24pm On Jan 18, 2015
I arrived saki east on monday the 12th of January. after a meeting with the facilitators on the upcoming Yabdi Agribusiness Training Holding at Abeokuta on saturday the 31st of January.

We arrived saki late at night so it was just sleep on my mind. and that was exactly what I did. sleep, sleep, sleep.
Re: Another Million Naira Cucumber Experience Picture Diary. (YOP1 PROJECT) by jasper7(m): 1:30pm On Jan 18, 2015
Tuesday, the 13th. Off to the site early in the morning to access the land and evaluate if it's worth planting on. and yes, I did access the land, it's a clear grassland with a few economic trees hanging here and there. the land was sorrounded by thick bushes of elephant grass. The fresh water had a close proximity to the land. I also noticed some pests and diseases on the soil.

Next, I had to go home sit back and evaluate the land with my team members, Jethro and Kalusam.

Re: Another Million Naira Cucumber Experience Picture Diary. (YOP1 PROJECT) by Angoni(m): 2:15pm On Jan 18, 2015
Following with interest. I like the pictures, so please keep them coming, even if for now they only show elephant grass and pests undecided
Re: Another Million Naira Cucumber Experience Picture Diary. (YOP1 PROJECT) by FarmTech(m): 3:56pm On Jan 18, 2015
Angoni:
Following with interest. I like the pictures, so please keep them coming, even if for now they only show elephant grass and pests undecided
This is just great. Such networking is exactly what we need here. Following.

1 Like

Re: Another Million Naira Cucumber Experience Picture Diary. (YOP1 PROJECT) by checkfidel: 4:28pm On Jan 18, 2015
I like the innovation going on in the agric section. I am in love!

4 Likes

Re: Another Million Naira Cucumber Experience Picture Diary. (YOP1 PROJECT) by jasper7(m): 6:27pm On Jan 18, 2015
Tuesday the 13th. (Evening) After much scrutiny on the site. Me and the team (kalusam and Jethro) headed back to our lodge to deliberate.

it was a heated (but friendly) deliberation. I was quite skeptical about the land because of the surrounding bush and pests and diseases around the land. it means we will have to do serious soil treatment before planting anything. which we finally agreed on.

First we'll need to burn the surrounding bushes if not the battle with pests and diseases will be enormous.
secondly, we have to treat the land with nematicides and fungicides before planting. so the work no be here.

we were able to carve out 3 acres for the group project and 4 acres for the community project.

Next was to draw a tentative budget and send to the group for approval.
Re: Another Million Naira Cucumber Experience Picture Diary. (YOP1 PROJECT) by jasper7(m): 6:38pm On Jan 18, 2015
In making a budget for the farm, we had to take into consideration what we had on ground and the kind of farming practices we wanted to apply. after discussions we decided to use furrow irrigation which is one of the best irrigation methods for cucumber. what dimension of beds we needed to make to maximise production. what materials we had on ground already (hoes, shovels, wheel barrows e.t.c). After all these, we came up with a list. which we forwarded to the parliament of investors for approval. we had already been notified that about 1million had been raised for the project. which meant we just needed to make 1.5million after 3months. grin.
we requested for technical support from the seed company to manage the farm because I was not going to be around throughout the cycle. I planned to leave as on the 2nd of February. The thai agro group said their technical support costs 60k per month. we agreed to use it for 2months or 3months, depending on the necessity, at least till our own people can pick up.

so for 2 months. we calculated it as 120k for farm management. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Another Million Naira Cucumber Experience Picture Diary. (YOP1 PROJECT) by psalm68(m): 6:39pm On Jan 18, 2015
with you my chairman
Re: Another Million Naira Cucumber Experience Picture Diary. (YOP1 PROJECT) by jasper7(m): 6:42pm On Jan 18, 2015
jasper7:
Pumping Machine - 25,000|
Soil Treatment - 25,000|
Organic Manure(Poultry waste) - 20,000|
Liquid Fertilizer - 20,000|
Bamboo - 25,000|
Seeds (2KG) - 170,000|
Farm Management - 120,000|
Ploughing/Harrowing/Ridging - 27,000|
Seedling Tray+Peat - 20,000|
Fuel+Oil - 60,000|Irrigation - 40,000|
Labour - 120,000|
Mulching Film - 180,000|
Knapsack Sprayer x 2 - 10,000.
Total: 862,000
Tentative budget for cultivating 3 acres of Land.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Another Million Naira Cucumber Experience Picture Diary. (YOP1 PROJECT) by Hardheolar(m): 6:52pm On Jan 18, 2015
following bumper to bumqer.
Re: Another Million Naira Cucumber Experience Picture Diary. (YOP1 PROJECT) by jasper7(m): 7:09pm On Jan 18, 2015
11 investors, approximately 1million investment, 1 professional, 3 man team. with one goal. MAKE MONEY. That's what we are out to do.

Initially when we forwarded the budget to the parliament. I thought it would be an easy peasy approval. but it was not at all. The parliament was difficult to break. everybody bringing different suggestions, it was clear that getting a group to work in unison is not a small feat at all.

I had to remind them that we ( the 3-man team) are not being paid for the job and we are just doing it to prove a point (that agriculture is indeed the most profitable investment if done right).

A point I am going to prove very soon.

3 Likes

Re: Another Million Naira Cucumber Experience Picture Diary. (YOP1 PROJECT) by farmerspolice: 7:09pm On Jan 18, 2015
jasper7:
Hey guys, About a month ago, young farmers gathered at Ogbomosho, hosted by our Landlord Hotmas911 and group President World1. They were trained on Cucumber, Tomatoes, Plaintain, Soya Beans and Sweet Potato.

There and then, we all decided to run a group project so that we can raise funds to develop the virgin land given to us by our Landlord Mr hotmas911. if you are conversant with virgin lands you'll know that, developing a virgin land especially for vegetable farming is not cheap at all (very capital intensive).

We were able to secure farmland somewhere in saki east L.G.A (still in oyo state). with the help of one of our own people and also Nairalander (Jethro2). The land is very close to a freshwater. so we don't have to worry about sinking borehole or digging well. we'll just channel water from the Dam, into our farm. cheesy.

The deal with the village head was that I train his people and in return, he'll give me land for our project

You might find this to be the most educative thread on vegetable farming here. because we are going to be uploading daily pictures and also writing on our progress and challenges.

My fingers are absolutely crossed because I promised the group members/Investors a 50% ROI after 3 months. very achievable but the God's grace is key here.

LET'S GO THERE!
If u are advertising anything on this section, u must be transparent. All we need is ur picture, pictures of ur products, or services & u on d field. Be informed that there are spies all around u confirming ur claims. If u fall into d fraudster category, u will be dealt with both online & offline.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Another Million Naira Cucumber Experience Picture Diary. (YOP1 PROJECT) by jasper7(m): 7:20pm On Jan 18, 2015
farmerspolice:
If u are advertising anything on this section, u must be transparent. All we need is ur picture, pictures of ur products, or services & u on d field. Be informed that there are spies all around u confirming ur claims. If u fall into d fraudster category, u will be dealt with both online & offline.
If only I could spew what is in heart randomly without thinking or reason just the way you did, I know what I'll be saying to you now. scratch that! Let me be more practical in my reply to this your funny post.

The funny part is that it's people like you who think they are smart that discard genuine people who could impact in your life and fall for cheap scams.

I suggest that if you don't have anything reasonable to contribute or suggest, why don't you sit back and wait till I start selling or advertising something?

19 Likes

Re: Another Million Naira Cucumber Experience Picture Diary. (YOP1 PROJECT) by farmerspolice: 8:05pm On Jan 18, 2015
jasper7:

If only I could spew what is in heart randomly without thinking or reason just the way you did, I know what I'll be saying to you now. scratch that! Let me be more practical in my reply to this your funny post.

The funny part is that it's people like you who think they are smart that discard genuine people who could impact in your life and fall for cheap scams.

I suggest that if you don't have anything reasonable to contribute or suggest, why don't you sit back and wait till I start selling or advertising something?
Noted! a file is opened for u n I'm patiently waiting.
Re: Another Million Naira Cucumber Experience Picture Diary. (YOP1 PROJECT) by jasper7(m): 8:24pm On Jan 18, 2015
farmerspolice:
Noted! a file is opened for u n I'm patiently waiting.
No be only file, why don't you open a textbook or an office for me?

see, you have a good idea and I wish I could encourage you. but your manner of approach is too poor. why draft a post with intentions of terrorizing people?

Won't a post like this have made more sense to you?

DEAR MR JASPER, WE ARE A GROUP/INDIVIDUAL WHO HAVE THE SOLE AIM OF VERIFYING THE CREDIBILITY OF EVERY FARMER/AGRO MERCHANT ON NAIRALAND. PLEASE WE REQUEST THAT YOU SHOW OUR TEAM/AGENT FULL COOPERATION WHENEVER YOU ARE CONTACTED OR REACHED. WE WANT TO MAKE AGRO TRANSACTIONS HERE, SAFE AND SECURE. AND WE KNOW YOU DO TOO! THANKS FOR YOUR ANTICIPATED SUPPORT.

is that too civil for you? or must you go about it in the typical thuggish manner of Nigerians?

I suggest you adopt my suggested speech and watch every farmer here support you fully. I like your idea, but I just think you are going about it the wrong way

please, open my file o. I want to see how good you are in your job. cheesy

32 Likes

Re: Another Million Naira Cucumber Experience Picture Diary. (YOP1 PROJECT) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 8:51pm On Jan 18, 2015
farmerspolice:

Who.made you farmers police by the way.
Show nairalanders your farm pictures and farming experience before you can make yourself farmers police.
You have no farm,no experience,no knowledge about agricbusiness and you are arresting.
Get a job and a life!
What agribusiness experience do you have, to castigate farmers in the agric section as i have seen some quote attacking other farmers on various threads.

This job given to you by your paymaster will.not pay you on the long run. Your best bet is to spend your precious time building your.mental capacity and engage in activity that will help your future.

I just checked your profile and i noticed you open the account yetrday....i wanted to by-pass your comment but i feel the need to leave some statements with you.
Tell your paymasters that they have failed.

10 Likes

Re: Another Million Naira Cucumber Experience Picture Diary. (YOP1 PROJECT) by jasper7(m): 9:36pm On Jan 18, 2015
Lesgupnigeria:

Who.made you farmers police by the way.
Show nairalanders your farm pictures and farming experience before you can make yourself farmers police.
You have no farm,no experience,no knowledge about agricbusiness and you are arresting.
Get a job and a life!
What agribusiness experience do you have, to castigate farmers in the agric section as i have seen some quote attacking other farmers on various threads.

This job given to you by your paymaster will.not pay you on the long run. Your best bet is to spend your precious time building your.mental capacity and engage in activity that will help your future.

I just checked your profile and i noticed you open the account yetrday....i wanted to by-pass your comment but i feel the need to leave some statements with you.
Tell your paymasters that they have failed.
my brother, just don't mind him. the guy is too funny.

1 Like

Re: Another Million Naira Cucumber Experience Picture Diary. (YOP1 PROJECT) by farmerspolice: 9:45pm On Jan 18, 2015
jasper7:

No be only file, why don't you open a textbook or an office for me?

see, you have a good idea and I wish I could encourage you. but your manner of approach is too poor. why draft a post with intentions of terrorizing people?

Won't a post like this have made more sense to you?

DEAR MR JASPER, WE ARE A GROUP/INDIVIDUAL WHO HAVE THE SOLE AIM OF VERIFYING THE CREDIBILITY OF EVERY FARMER/AGRO MERCHANT ON NAIRALAND. PLEASE WE REQUEST THAT YOU SHOW OUR TEAM/AGENT FULL COOPERATION WHENEVER YOU ARE CONTACTED OR REACHED. WE WANT TO MAKE AGRO TRANSACTIONS HERE, SAFE AND SECURE. AND WE KNOW YOU DO TOO! THANKS FOR YOUR ANTICIPATED SUPPORT.

is that too civil for you? or must you go about it in the typical thuggish manner of Nigerians?

I suggest you adopt my suggested speech and watch every farmer here support you fully. I like your idea, but I just think you are going about it the wrong way

please, open my file o. I want to see how good you are in your job. cheesy
I'm nt here to trade words, I wonder y u are taking it this personal.....time will tell.
Re: Another Million Naira Cucumber Experience Picture Diary. (YOP1 PROJECT) by jasper7(m): 10:01pm On Jan 18, 2015
I reject anything that wants to derail this thread. people must benefit from this thread. cool.

after much bull fight and war, the budget got approved on the Friday the 16th at about. And the money was paid into our account manager's account (kalusam). we were already running a race against time. so we hurriedly sent money to the seed company for the seed and technical support. we also paid for the mulching film, seedling tray, coco peat and organic fertilizer too. To be way-billed to us from far-away Onitsha. that was all we could achieve from Wednesday to Friday.

Please the purpose of this thread is to show intending cucumber farmers that it is not an easy task at all. incase you start feeling that money will fall from heaven to your laps.

Moving On

2 Likes

Re: Another Million Naira Cucumber Experience Picture Diary. (YOP1 PROJECT) by Nobody: 10:10pm On Jan 18, 2015
jasper, can't u see d guy is funny?
plz ignore as he is a regular guy on this thread but registered wit a new username to create fun.

2 Likes

Re: Another Million Naira Cucumber Experience Picture Diary. (YOP1 PROJECT) by jasper7(m): 10:17pm On Jan 18, 2015
Saturday the 17th. we visited the local govt so that we could hire tractor for our ploughing, ridging, harrowing,and to our greatest surprise a whole local Government lacked basic implements like harrow and ridger.

Jethro took us to so many private companies and they all said they don't work till rainy season.

we now started sourcing for manual labour as an alternative, everybody we met were saying next week or next 2 weeks.

Fear catch me small, sometimes the money is there, the seal is there, but things just don't go in your favour. I told the team that we should move to site and start work till we can secure labour. they all agreed (Thank God for such an understanding team).
Re: Another Million Naira Cucumber Experience Picture Diary. (YOP1 PROJECT) by jasper7(m): 10:22pm On Jan 18, 2015
mercylicious:
jasper, can't u see d guy is funny?
plz ignore as he is a regular guy on this thread but registered wit a new username to create fun.
My sister, I no fit shout again. I have moved on
Re: Another Million Naira Cucumber Experience Picture Diary. (YOP1 PROJECT) by Nobody: 10:29pm On Jan 18, 2015
jasper7:
I reject anything that wants to derail this thread. people must benefit from this thread. cool.

after much bull fight and war, the budget got approved on the Friday the 16th at about. And the money was paid into our account manager's account (kalusam). we were already running a race against time. so we hurriedly sent money to the seed company for the seed and technical support. we also paid for the mulching film, seedling tray, coco peat and organic fertilizer too. To be way-billed to us from far-away Onitsha. that was all we could achieve from Wednesday to Friday.

Please the purpose of this thread is to show intending cucumber farmers that it is not an easy task at all. incase you start feeling that money will fall from heaven to your laps.

Moving On

which mkt in osha did u get d seedling tray , cocopeat ? do u also mean organic fertilizer/manure was ferried also from onitsha to saki east? such a long journey. u wuld have also added knapsack sprayer in the list of things to be bought cos its cheaper here than in other states. i bought mine for n2800 (16litres) here.To transport those thins from osha to oyo state no be beans.
Re: Another Million Naira Cucumber Experience Picture Diary. (YOP1 PROJECT) by Nobody: 10:32pm On Jan 18, 2015
i also hope u made provision for logistics- transport and phone calls in ur budget. though it lloks small, bt when u aggregate it, u know how far.
Re: Another Million Naira Cucumber Experience Picture Diary. (YOP1 PROJECT) by jasper7(m): 10:42pm On Jan 18, 2015
still saturday, the 17th.
After agreeing to visit the farm and work. me and my team set out to the farm, on getting there. I must confess, the land mass seemed to have multiplied itself 10X. it was looking more like 70acres to me. my hand no fit lift implement again. Manual Labour no be here at all.

We all agreed that the first step would be getting read of the pests as much as possible. how do we achieve? set the whole bush around on fire grin. Me I quickly told them that I have no experience in bush burning. I have never been involved in bush burning. cheesy.
Jethro and kalusam are the professional in that field.

oya bring matches! They brought. oya Jethro start fire! she tried but couldn't (after like 10 attempts). bush burning no easy o. Kalusam now stepped up first strike of the match, and the bush was on fire!!! It was amazing!! I have never seen stuff like that before. the way he was piloting the fire and chasing it made me give him a royal title (Osuofia one of saki east grin). Altho the fire quenched later in the most anti-climatic way. it had done quite some work. it was interesting. we had fun.
Re: Another Million Naira Cucumber Experience Picture Diary. (YOP1 PROJECT) by jasper7(m): 10:46pm On Jan 18, 2015
mercylicious:
i also hope u made provision for logistics- transport and phone calls in ur budget. though it lloks small, bt when u aggregate it, u know how far.
my sister, that is part of the war we were fighting with the parliament. some people didn't want to give us breathing space in the budget. but it is well.
Re: Another Million Naira Cucumber Experience Picture Diary. (YOP1 PROJECT) by jasper7(m): 10:51pm On Jan 18, 2015
mercylicious:

which mkt in osha did u get d seedling tray , cocopeat ? do u also mean organic fertilizer/manure was ferried also from onitsha to saki east? such a long journey. u wuld have also added knapsack sprayer in the list of things to be bought cos its cheaper here than in other states. i bought mine for n2800 (16litres) here.To transport those thins from osha to oyo state no be beans.

no be beans o. but as you rightly noted, most of this stuff are cheaper in osha. the organic fertilizer and seedling tray are from the seed company in owerri. while the coco peat is from abeokuta. grin I think what is worth doing is worth doing well. maybe I'll ask them to add knapsack to the consignment (that's if it has not been sent already). This info might come in very useful in the long run. I appreciate ma
Re: Another Million Naira Cucumber Experience Picture Diary. (YOP1 PROJECT) by Nobody: 11:05pm On Jan 18, 2015
any bush meat from the bush burning? kalusam, welldone ooo.
Re: Another Million Naira Cucumber Experience Picture Diary. (YOP1 PROJECT) by Kalusam(m): 11:16pm On Jan 18, 2015
I didn't check o...I was more concerned about burning the bushes than the meat wink
mercylicious:
any bush meat from the bush burning? kalusam, welldone ooo.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

How To Start Water Melon Farming In Nigeria / Banana Plantation And Plantain Plantation..which Is More Profitable? / Let Us Go Vertical And Earn Some Income.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.