Nairaland Forum

Welcome, Guest: Join Nairaland / Login / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 1285470 members, 1793359 topics. Date: Monday, 22 December 2014 at 11:48 PM

Welcome To My Office - Career (66) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Welcome To My Office (88129 Views)

My Office Wants Us To Work 60 Hours Per Week / I Rejected A 2 Year Bond By My Office Sending Me On A One Week Course To Uk / My Office Director Is On My Deck (1) (2) (3) (4)

(0) (1) (2) ... (63) (64) (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) ... (75) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Welcome To My Office by netotse(m): 10:18pm On Apr 11, 2012
@Jarus
congrats o...wish you all the best in your new place!
Re: Welcome To My Office by mbulela: 2:47pm On Apr 12, 2012
oyb:

you too angry smiley smiley cheesy cheesy cheesy

u wan give oga heart attack!

after the pep talk today cheesy cheesy cheesy

your oga no know say pep talk get limit?
him for add owo to the pep talk.
Re: Welcome To My Office by cecegorz(m): 10:54am On Apr 17, 2012
Jarus:

The latter just clicked yesterday and I have accepted it. My dream of crossing from downstream to upstream eventually materialized. Alhamdulilah

So from May 1, I will be welcoming you guys to a new office. Lol

I will be tendering my resignation in my current office this morning, effective end-April. I have already composed a powerful farewell message to my colleagues.

I couldn't get the 4m on top of my current pay as I asked from the new company but the negotiation yielded 2.5m addition. So I consider it a fair deal but upstream coys have more perks.

It's been a long journey especially when I remember missing Shell offer by whisker at the start of my career in 2008. It's a long walk to dream!

Congrats bro!
It's always a joy to move on to greater heights.
Getting extra #2.5m i believe is as good as getting a promotion on your current grade, and then the new experiences/challenges/networks is really worth it.
And in this dynamic age, where you've been is really a good advantage.

Me sef go begin dey plan my exit. i don give this guys 5years! But then...they keep baiting me
Re: Welcome To My Office by sparkle2k3(f): 4:08am On Apr 18, 2012
smiley this is a cool thread..I like.

Am a young doc...doing my housemanship(one year internship after med sch)
There are four postings to go round. Today is my last day of ma third posting. So I've got just one more posting to go. Then nysc.
I had a crazy day yesterday. Of course its not the first and even not the worst I've had but it was draining all the same.
My current posting is obs and gyn..and am currently stationed at the labour ward. Work started at 8am and continued till 4pm. Ma unit was on call and calls start from 4pm till 8am next day. Wat made yesterday crazy was dat,it seems all the preggies in the decided to go into labour or have some complaint!! I mean I was practically on my feet all day. All beds were occupied. Mehn it wasn't funny. Call ended at 8am and another I continue till 4pm again. Ma first meal of the day was by 5.30pm. After eating,I just laid down still in my work clotes and dozed off till..................
Walahi,ko easy.
Today has got to be better!

Y'all have agood day. smiley

2 Likes

Re: Welcome To My Office by netotse(m): 9:33pm On Jun 21, 2012
hello pple.

everyone has just abandoned this thread. . .God dey...

work is just there o...we've proved murphy's law several times over. . .man don over tire sef.

I think it's getting to that time when I move on to the next thing, not really interested in 'factory' life anymore, too one-sided, Mechanical engineers get all the glory,

sadly, I'm not a junior engineer anymore so there are some complaints that people dont expect to hear from me(stuff like training etc), sad thing is to me they're still valid and it pisses me off. I can feel myself holding back, I dont do as much as I can, I just make sure I dont fall below the 'departmental standard'(i,e, make my workerholic boss look bad), other than that I'm on my computer most of the time.

of which. . .chances are this might be my last year as a field-engineering-someborri, been spending a lot of time reading up on finance and I'm seriously considering a move to that grey area between engineering and finance(yep those people that tell engineers what to do. . .lol)
Re: Welcome To My Office by AjanleKoko: 11:33am On Jun 26, 2012
netotse: hello pple.

everyone has just abandoned this thread. . .God dey...

work is just there o...we've proved murphy's law several times over. . .man don over tire sef.

I think it's getting to that time when I move on to the next thing, not really interested in 'factory' life anymore, too one-sided, Mechanical engineers get all the glory,

sadly, I'm not a junior engineer anymore so there are some complaints that people dont expect to hear from me(stuff like training etc), sad thing is to me they're still valid and it pisses me off. I can feel myself holding back, I dont do as much as I can, I just make sure I dont fall below the 'departmental standard'(i,e, make my workerholic boss look bad), other than that I'm on my computer most of the time.

of which. . .chances are this might be my last year as a field-engineering-someborri, been spending a lot of time reading up on finance and I'm seriously considering a move to that grey area between engineering and finance(yep those people that tell engineers what to do. . .lol)

That was quick. LOL.
'Factory' life is not so glamorous in Nigeria, Especially for engineers, who dream of big things like designing the space shuttle . . . cheesy

That 'grey area' is actually project management. They always tell engineers what to do wink
It's a mix of many things, finance included. I personally like finance, in fact I plan to end my career in Finance. So it would not be a bad choice. Just a bit too early in your career to switch. Most likely you'd also start at the bottom in there.
Re: Welcome To My Office by netotse(m): 12:52am On Jul 02, 2012
AjanleKoko:

That was quick. LOL.
'Factory' life is not so glamorous in Nigeria, Especially for engineers, who dream of big things like designing the space shuttle . . . cheesy

That 'grey area' is actually project management. They always tell engineers what to do wink
It's a mix of many things, finance included. I personally like finance, in fact I plan to end my career in Finance. So it would not be a bad choice. Just a bit too early in your career to switch. Most likely you'd also start at the bottom in there.
Bossman. . .how things now? anything for the boys? grin

I'm not planning to switch to finance pronto, I would like to have at least one more bus stop before getting there. I've started to read up on finance and all that, (maybe na because I don realise say I no wan depend on one stream of income sha).

The idea of walking into the future unprepared scares me so I tend to over analyse/strategise when it comes to these things.

How do you deal with people? as in persuading people to follow a course of action you know for a fact is right, but they(the other people) are either to short-sighted/incompetent/nonchalant to notice, I tend to get angry and of course this is counter productive because then it becomes personal. I try to shut up but usually I just stew inside and that's bad for bizniz as well.

P.S. I have mostly horizontal work relationships, so I cant really lay down the law.
Re: Welcome To My Office by AjanleKoko: 8:05am On Jul 02, 2012
netotse:

How do you deal with people? as in persuading people to follow a course of action you know for a fact is right, but they(the other people) are either to short-sighted/incompetent/nonchalant to notice, I tend to get angry and of course this is counter productive because then it becomes personal. I try to shut up but usually I just stew inside and that's bad for bizniz as well.

P.S. I have mostly horizontal work relationships, so I cant really lay down the law.

Well . . . sorry to burst your bubble. You can't force even your subordinates to do what they don't want to do. People can only emulate what you do, not what you say. Just like you believe you know (for a fact) what the right course of action is, your colleagues also have the same knowledge.

You can only win people over when you do things well, even if they're not your idea. Superiors expect you to follow their instructions. You need to get good at that first. Then, when you have won them over with your effectiveness, you can start to push for efficiency and process improvement.
Re: Welcome To My Office by AjanleKoko: 11:52pm On Aug 20, 2012
Na Lie.
I can't allow this Jarus new job to kill the thread. Wetin embarassed

How has the office been o jare wink
Re: Welcome To My Office by Jarus(m): 3:35pm On Aug 21, 2012
AjanleKoko: Na Lie.
I can't allow this Jarus new job to kill the thread. Wetin embarassed

How has the office been o jare wink

Reporting for duty, boss!

I will be welcoming you all to my new office(still new after 4 months?) soon. smiley
Re: Welcome To My Office by Jarus(m): 4:25pm On Aug 21, 2012
It's been a cool experience in my new place so far.
A major difference is I am more involved in transactions here than in my former place. I have learnt probably more in these 4 months than a year in my old place, although what I do here is just one of the 2 branches of accounting I was handling in my former place, but its deeper and I have learnt more.

Like my 2 previous employments, I've got a wonderful boss here too(a female).

I also enjoy working with these British and American expats and compared to my former place of work, this has made my work easier. Unlike my previous place of work with all the bureaucracy of getting information from top management staff(Nigerians), here is a place you can just walk into VP's office(compare ED or DMD) and ask him any question or seek any clarification/document, making the job easier and enjoyable. Even the Nigerian top guys, having seen it all from the Shells of this world for 20-30 years are very great to deal with.

I'm currently typing from a training course in one of these West African neighbours of Nigeria.
Re: Welcome To My Office by Wiseoldman: 4:03am On Aug 22, 2012
Ohhh...time have sure passed...
I do remember when I was posted for my NYSC to a univeristy in SouthWest as an assistant lecturer in the mechanical engrn dept, I had to get myself a table and chair...as nobody could have any of that tiny kid from nowhere trying to steal some shine...*lol*

1 Like

Re: Welcome To My Office by phemmi: 10:00am On Aug 24, 2012
Im an Environmental officer....i work with the state government.....as a civil servant, i work the regular 8 o 4 time....most time my work is interesting but it can be pretty boring some other times.....i gotta good HOD but i had the most horrible woman as a deputy HOD who i report to directli...there are days i feel like killing her but thank God i havent done so.......you all know how it is in any establishment........

1 Like

Re: Welcome To My Office by Jarus(m): 5:24pm On Aug 24, 2012
phemmi: Im an Environmental officer....i work with the state government.....as a civil servant, i work the regular 8 o 4 time....most time my work is interesting but it can be pretty boring some other times.....i gotta good HOD but i had the most horrible woman as a deputy HOD who i report to directli...there are days i feel like killing her but thank God i havent done so.......you all know how it is in any establishment........

One thing about female bosses is that they are always extreme - either overly nice or extremely opposite. I have been fortunate the 2 female bosses I have had in my short career are on the positive side.
Re: Welcome To My Office by Jcob(m): 5:27pm On Aug 24, 2012
Some years ago, I made a 5 year plan that expired mid 2012. Career development, marital status, networking, assets etc. Thanks to God . . . . . I ticked everything DONE, except marriage. Getting ready for the next 5 years of my life and I pray the dream of retiring in the next 10 years is achievable.

@Jarus, congrats on the new job. . . .and by the way am getting close to you. Remember Sharafadeen told you about his friend on NL.?

@Netotse, long time o, when will you be in lag?

@Ajanlekoko, my Boss, it's being a while. When can I catch up with you?

By the way, you can read some of my guest posts on Entrepreneurship here http://www.ventures-africa.com/category/entrepreneurs/diary-of-an-under-30-ceo/
Re: Welcome To My Office by oyb(m): 5:57pm On Aug 24, 2012
Jarus:

One thing about female bosses is that they are always extreme - either overly nice or extremely opposite. I have been fortunate the 2 female bosses I have had in my short career are on the positive side.

lucky you cheesy cheesy wink

no need to say nada
Re: Welcome To My Office by Jarus(m): 6:03pm On Aug 24, 2012
Jcob: Some years ago, I made a 5 year plan that expired mid 2012. Career development, marital status, networking, assets etc. Thanks to God . . . . . I ticked everything DONE, except marriage. Getting ready for the next 5 years of my life and I pray the dream of retiring in the next 10 years is achievable.

@Jarus, congrats on the new job. . . .and by the way am getting close to you. Remember Sharafadeen told you about his friend on NL.?

Thanks. Sure.
Re: Welcome To My Office by AjanleKoko: 6:13pm On Aug 24, 2012
Jcob:
@Ajanlekoko, my Boss, it's being a while. When can I catch up with you?

By the way, you can read some of my guest posts on Entrepreneurship here http://www.ventures-africa.com/category/entrepreneurs/diary-of-an-under-30-ceo/

I dey where you left me oh. And I just read your blog.
Good writing but pally . . . na lie oh. It is NOT easy to make money here. Talk less of EASI-ER angry
Re: Welcome To My Office by netotse(m): 10:58pm On Aug 26, 2012
@jcob
I left gidi today after a weekend break, should be back sometime in september...the first day I ssaw that blog I know say na you...lol

@thread nice to see things are picking up, kinda seemed like the thread had gone to pasture, will come back with office gist tomo...
Re: Welcome To My Office by phemmi: 1:38pm On Aug 27, 2012
aiiight...... mondays are always dry at work......since our oga decided to block us from social network media its being horrible cool cool......well im on my way home.......closed for today...i know tomorrow will be fun cos we are going for a colleague's baby naming ceremony so its goin to be a work free day for us...... except for that iya S (my oga} that wants to pour sand sand for our garri tomorrow but God will not allow her o.....how can we go for monitoring and still make it for the parry?the rule here is party day is work free day grin grin grin........so far so good....
Re: Welcome To My Office by boyt1: 6:59pm On Aug 27, 2012
I woke up 5:AM today, do the 30 minutes routine meeting with my 6 workers and 2 supervisors)) load my trucks with the necessary equipments and materials ready and off we go. sometimes, I do envy you guys who are employees of consulting firms or office executives and Analyst, you're always in an Aiconditioned offices and on corporate outfits.
My job here in Europe is selfemployed Facility Management company. As a Maintanannce Technician, i see to the day-to- day maintanance of mainly commercial and corporate buildings. i am always on the site wearing my overrall, in the sun rain and snow.
I make sure that all Lifts, Fire protection, heating, cooling, Plumbing, electrical appliances in all the offices and surroundings are in top form.
In my job is huge responsibility, just emergine you have the keys to over 27 office buildings for daily maintanace checks and 24 hours emergency repairs services on request. The challenges are some times great as a sole proprietor e.g when some of my workers suddenly call off for one reason or the other and i need immediate replacement.
My usaul hours are 7-8 Hours on the Field , i return later to the office for some Administrative jobs that takes me till 7:PM. one of the advantages is no Boss.
But thank God i have my Saturdays and Sundays for my Family.

2 Likes

Re: Welcome To My Office by Wallie(m): 4:03pm On Aug 28, 2012
boy t: I woke up 5:AM today, do the 30 minutes routine meeting with my 6 workers and 2 supervisors)) load my trucks with the necessary equipments and materials ready and off we go. sometimes, I do envy you guys who are employees of consulting firms or office executives and Analyst, you're always in an Aiconditioned offices and on corporate outfits.
My job here in Europe is selfemployed Facility Management company. As a Maintanannce Technician, i see to the day-to- day maintanance of mainly commercial and corporate buildings. i am always on the site wearing my overrall, in the sun rain and snow.

If it's any consolation, sitting more than a few hours a day cut years off your life span! Sitting all day is actually very tiring and not all that it is cracked up to be. I actually bought a lectern for my desk just so I could stand up sometimes during the day but I rarely use it. grin I’m about to walk out the office just to get some fresh air and to get my blood flowing!

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2012/07/09/study-excessive-sitting-cuts-life-expectancy-by-two-years
Re: Welcome To My Office by AjanleKoko: 4:37pm On Aug 28, 2012
Wallie:

If it's any consolation, sitting more than a few hours a day cut years off your life span! Sitting all day is actually very tiring and not all that it is cracked up to be. I actually bought a lectern for my desk just so I could stand up sometimes during the day but I rarely use it. grin I’m about to walk out the office just to get some fresh air and to get my blood flowing!

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2012/07/09/study-excessive-sitting-cuts-life-expectancy-by-two-years

Well, I don't sit for more than an hour at a stretch.
I stand up and stroll around.
Re: Welcome To My Office by Jarus(m): 6:00pm On Aug 28, 2012
oyb:

lucky you cheesy cheesy wink

no need to say nada
Yeah, decoded without 'saying nada'
Re: Welcome To My Office by oyb(m): 10:37pm On Aug 28, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Well, I don't sit for more than an hour at a stretch.
I stand up and stroll around.

oga manager cheesy
Re: Welcome To My Office by AjanleKoko: 9:56am On Aug 29, 2012
No office for me today.
Laid up with a fever embarassed
Re: Welcome To My Office by uceee(m): 11:16am On Aug 29, 2012
AjanleKoko: No office for me today.
Laid up with a fever embarassed
Sorry man. Get well soon.
Re: Welcome To My Office by netotse(m): 12:43pm On Aug 30, 2012
Hallo People,

what's cracking?

Work is a total drag, the only thing that keeps me going is my personal curiosity (my colleagues say I'm now a researcher. . .lol) and the fact that I have to make sure I dont make my superman boss look bad so I still have to be on point when I'm called on. For me, it's a combination of all the inconsistencies, the system doesn't work and so I have to consistently go beyond my job scope, because do only job we're still going to have faults.
Thing is, as far as professional devt* is concerned, there's precious little here for people with an electrical bias (e.g.), so I wonder what the motivation is for me to keep working like a donkey? definitely not the salary(I've accepted that I might not reach the armed robber salary range just yet though)

Here, there's something called certification, mechanical, process, quality and production engineers have their certifications but there's none for electrical. Thing is the certifications that pple in my dept do involves learning to use some really cool technologies, ultrasound, infra-red, vibration analysis, penetrant testing, laser alignment, etc so I'll be watching people that entered after me getting certified and I go still dey sell plantain nii?

p.s. the fact that portions of this training are held outside naija doesn't even help matters sef, meself wan collect dollars now tongue

enough whining for today jo...lol
Re: Welcome To My Office by Jarus(m): 11:05pm On Aug 30, 2012
Where on earth is Cristalz the starter of this thread?
Re: Welcome To My Office by goodsegs(m): 6:08pm On Sep 01, 2012
Been following this thread,now i pick up the courage to comment...

Welcome to my Office...........New job,just one month on this Job,new challenge,not very common to see Many professionals who are Quality Assurance Specialist in this part of the world.
I hope i can meet some here and exchange infos on the challenge of being a Software tester in Nigeria.
I currently work as HP Quality center administrator(Automated Testing Tools).I work with software testers but i am not a tester.

1 Like

Re: Welcome To My Office by Cristalz(f): 1:02am On Sep 03, 2012
Jarus: Where on earth is Cristalz the starter of this thread?
Covering the crisis in Syria. grin Kidding.
Wow, 66 pages?! Big ups to you all for keeping my favorite thread alive. kiss Never imagined it'd get this far.
I'm sorry guys, I left NL for a pretty long while. Decided to join the race to become a professor while getting some relevant experience on the side. grin
Sadly, it doesn't leave me with a lot of social time.

Will keep coming in to read from you guys 'n contribute when I can.

Ajanlekoko, Tkb 'n Crackles (where are they??), Debo, Diggler, Tollu, Oyb, Lawyer, even you Jarus...thanks. Kinda missed our office gist.
Congrats on your promotion, Jarus.

(0) (1) (2) ... (63) (64) (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) ... (75) (Reply)

Total Oil And Gas Workers / How Much is a Good Salary in Nigeria? / Best Paying Company In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (0) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2014 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See Nairalist and How To Advertise. 120
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.