Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,122 members, 7,807,398 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:06 PM

Please, Separate Politics From The Academy Awards - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Please, Separate Politics From The Academy Awards (1250 Views)

Full List Of Winners At The 2016 AMAA, Africa Movie Academy Awards / All Winners Of The 88th Academy Awards / Photos From The Africa Movie Academy Awards 2015 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please, Separate Politics From The Academy Awards by Orikinla(m): 6:32pm On Jan 18, 2015
David Oyetokunbo Oyelowo should have made the Best Actor Oscar Nominees for his acclaimed role of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. in Ava DuVernay 's Selma, and the director herself should have made the Best Director Nominations. But is Selma making the Best Picture in the 2015 Oscar Nominations not enough consolation for what Spike Lee and Louis Gossett Jr have criticized for snubbing blacks and lack of diversity?
Gossett Jr is the first black man to win an Oscar in a supporting role in 1982 for An Officer and A Gentleman.
Cheryl Boone Isaacs, the first black President of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences did not see anything wrong in the so called "White Oscars" nominations. And I agree with her, because this same Academy gave black British director Steve McQueen's 12 Years a Slave three Academy Awards for Best Picture, Best Supporting Actress for Lupita Nyong'o, and the Oscar for Best Adapted Screenplay for John Ridley in the 2014 Oscars and nobody made noise over lack diversity in the Academy. Steve McQueen became the first black producer and director to win a Best Picture Oscar. So, because it is not going to be like that for Selma, Spike Lee and his Ebony crew and Rainbow Coalition are now calling it #OscarsSoWhite?
[size=18pt]

DEROY MURDOCK, NATIONAL REVIEW:
Look, these statistics are interesting that the Academy's 93% white, 76% male. Presumably, this is some kind of white male anti-black conspiracy. These same alleged racists just last year -- last year, Hollywood didn't look like the Rocky Mountains, it looked more like Mount Kilimanjaro. 12 Years A Slave won Best Picture, Best Supporting Actress, Best Score, Best Adapted Screenplay.

So just a year ago it was a huge pageant of black cinematic achievement.

MARTHA MacCALLUM, FOX NEWS: I want to live in a world where we just say, oh, were those the best movies, were those the best actors this year when you look at what happened in film? Were these the people who deserved to be nominated? And not have a ridiculous discussion about what nationality this director or that director or what background -- why, why couldn't it be that way? And I haven't seen Selma yet. I would like to see it. It was nominated for Best Picture this year, that's a huge honor.
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2015/01/16/deroy_murdock_to_sharpton_same_academy_voters_selected_12_years_a_slave_for_best_picture.html

Blacks must stop seeing things always in black and white rat race of America.[/size]
All these bellyaching and farts over lack of diversity in the membership of the Academy and 2015 Oscar nominations are irrelevant to the fact that merit determined the nominations and not politics of racism. Politics should be separated from the Oscars and it would be stupid to use racial diversity and equality to determine the nominations and winners of awards whether in the Arts or Sciences.

African Americans and other non-Caucasians in America must stop their persecution complex and stop their overreaction to events and incidents affecting their personal racial egos. After all, even the darkest room does not change the color of the silver screen.
What should determine our progress and success in life is our genius and not the color of our skin, religion or sexual orientation.

See the video reviews of the 2015 Oscar Nominations on http://totnaija..com/2015/01/2015-oscar-nominations-announced.html
See all the nominees on http://www.totnaija..com/2015/01/2015-oscar-nominations-announced.html

Re: Please, Separate Politics From The Academy Awards by sholay2011(m): 11:32pm On Jan 18, 2015
While I can't deny that there is politics with the Oscar thingy, blacks should beware of how they pull out the 'race card' before racism loses its meaning!

I wasn't impressed with Oyelowo's response to his Oscar snub. I could as well list performances that were better or at worst as good as his:

Michael Keaton in Birdman
Eddie Redmayne in The Theory of Everything
Jake Gyllenhaal in Nightcrawler
Ralph Fiennes in The Grand Budapest Hotel
Benedict Cumberbatch in The Imitation Game.

Oyelowo and the SELMA crew should calm the fvck down. Expecting special treatment or consideration due to your race or colour is racism too.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please, Separate Politics From The Academy Awards by morsadh(m): 7:31am On Jan 19, 2015
Orikinla:
David Oyetokunbo Oyelowo should have made the Best Actor Oscar Nominees for his acclaimed role of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. in Ava DuVernay 's Selma, and the director herself should have made the Best Director Nominations. But is Selma making the Best Picture in the 2015 Oscar Nominations not enough consolation for what Spike Lee and Louis Gossett Jr have criticized for snubbing blacks and lack of diversity?
Gossett Jr is the first black man to win an Oscar in a supporting role in 1982 for An Officer and A Gentleman.
Cheryl Boone Isaacs, the first black President of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences did not see anything wrong in the so called "White Oscars" nominations. And I agree with her, because this same Academy gave black British director Steve McQueen's 12 Years a Slave three Academy Awards for Best Picture, Best Supporting Actress for Lupita Nyong'o, and the Oscar for Best Adapted Screenplay for John Ridley in the 2014 Oscars and nobody made noise over lack diversity in the Academy. Steve McQueen became the first black producer and director to win a Best Picture Oscar. So, because it is not going to be like that for Selma, Spike Lee and his Ebony crew and Rainbow Coalition are now calling it #OscarsSoWhite?
[size=18pt]

Blacks must stop seeing things always in black and white rat race of America.[/size]
All these bellyaching and farts over lack of diversity in the membership of the Academy and 2015 Oscar nominations are irrelevant to the fact that merit determined the nominations and not politics of racism. Politics should be separated from the Oscars and it would be stupid to use racial diversity and equality to determine the nominations and winners of awards whether in the Arts or Sciences.

African Americans and other non-Caucasians in America must stop their persecution complex and stop their overreaction to events and incidents affecting their personal racial egos. After all, even the darkest room does not change the color of the silver screen.
What should determine our progress and success in life is our genius and not the color of our skin, religion or sexual orientation.

See the video reviews of the 2015 Oscar Nominations on http://totnaija..com/2015/01/2015-oscar-nominations-announced.html
See all the nominees on http://www.totnaija..com/2015/01/2015-oscar-nominations-announced.html
Word! For shizzle, my nizzle.
Re: Please, Separate Politics From The Academy Awards by prof800(m): 7:54am On Jan 19, 2015
I have not seen Selma so I can't say if David Oyelowo's performance was the best last year.

But one thing I know is that you cannot separate politics from the Academy. There must always be politics.!
We just have to enjoy the scripted politics without complaining or protesting because there MUST be politics and corruption.

My top four corrupt organizations.
1. The Football federation takes number one spot here believe it or not. The fact that they are the most difficult to uncover makes it even more creepy.
2. The Pharmaceutical universe is number two with all their deadly, 'deathly' brainwashing politics and policies.
3. The AWARDS confraternity (Oscars, Grammy, MTV, Headies... whatever)
4. Political parties makes fourth. Honestly, the politics they play is not as corrupt as the top three.... so what are we saying again?

IF YOU CAN NOT SEPARATE POLITICS FROM POLITICAL PARTIES HOW CAN YOU SEPARATE POLITICS FROM ANY AWARD LIKE THE OSCARS.

Remind me that Halle Berry quote again...
"You have to realize that when it comes to awards, a lot of politics can come in. And know that winning or not winning is not a yardstick to measure your ability".
(Halle Berry, 2007)

btw:
Sholay I feel you.

2 Likes

Re: Please, Separate Politics From The Academy Awards by Orikinla(m): 10:19am On Jan 19, 2015
sholay2011:
While I can't deny that there is politics with the Oscar thingy, blacks should beware of how they pull out the 'race card' before racism loses its meaning!

I wasn't impressed with Oyelowo's response to his Oscar snub. I could as well list performances that were better or at worst as good as his:

Michael Keaton in Birdman
Eddie Redmayne in The Theory of Everything
Jake Gyllenhaal in Nightcrawler
Ralph Fiennes in The Grand Budapest Hotel
Benedict Cumberbatch in The Imitation Game.

Oyelowo and the SELMA crew should calm the fvck down. Expecting special treatment or consideration due to your race or colour is racism too.

You are right.
Re: Please, Separate Politics From The Academy Awards by Jayboy124: 11:42am On Jan 19, 2015
Oscar is my best award ceremony. I have not always agreed with one or two of their winners but I realise sometimes that my sentiments might be playing a part.

I've seen Jamie Foxx, Forest Whitaker and Halle Berry win for great performances. If there was politics, they wouldn't have won.

Last year, the screenwriter of A Long Walk To Freedom said 12 Years A Slave took all the race 'sympathies'. And I felt it was a publicity stunt cuz would A Long Walk To Freedom been memorable if not that it's a Nelson Mandela story.

I think blacks will always complain. They want Rooney Rule in the premiership now. Maybe slavery doesn't just leave black people easily. They whites have freed us physically, maybe it's time we freed ourselves mentally too.

Two young black coaches in the lower divisions of English football said "pick me because I'm good not because I'm black".

And our own Jose of Chelsea said "if you are good, you are good."

Oscar is still the best.

(1) (Reply)

(movie) Prison Break Season 5 Episode 3 (S05E03) – “the Liar” / Rite Tek 40-inch Android Smart FHD LED TV (smart Air Remote & Voice Control) / Season Two Of Nigerian Idol: Bigger Show But The Judges?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.