Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,395 members, 7,808,396 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:25 AM

Does Repainting Your Car Devalue It? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Does Repainting Your Car Devalue It? (26342 Views)

10 Major Mistakes You're Making When Changing Your Car Oil / 6 Steps To Jack Up Your Car Safely / Repainting Of Car (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Repainting Your Car Devalue It? by uboma(m): 9:15pm On Jan 18, 2015
I have noticed that some fellas turn their backs on a car they have shown interest to purchase the moment they hear that it has been repainted. Why is this so? Asides from the fear that the car in question may have been involved in an accident and had to be fixed and repainted, can't a car owner simply decide to re-spray his car (either maintaining the same colour or changing it) even when it is accident free?

What is your view?

I recently saw someone with his Bimmer 3 series and instantly i fell in love with it simply because of the colour - white. I am even looking at changing the colour of my E39 to white sometime soon...

1 Like

Re: Does Repainting Your Car Devalue It? by abatically(m): 10:11pm On Jan 18, 2015
Yes repainting a car in Nigeria devalues the car and I have my reasons.

Paint jobs carried out in Nigeria are trash, even the so called oven baking. It will cost thousands of dollar to get a car painted to factory specs. Who in Nigeria is willing to pay that much just to respray a car? I had a slight accident with my car last march, i fixed it and decided to oven bake it with the sane color it came with. After 8 months there were scratches everywhere. Even dust dey cause the car to scratch. It is no way near the paint job that came with the car. OEM paint job can last as long as 15 years whearas Nigerian oven baking will barely last 1 year. U can't blame them though, u get what u pay for.

91 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Does Repainting Your Car Devalue It? by Kashif(m): 7:19am On Jan 19, 2015
Yes. You don't fix car bodies that are not broken. Here, the phrase ' first body' puts the seller in the driving wheel during negotiation.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Repainting Your Car Devalue It? by uboma(m): 8:09am On Jan 19, 2015
Kashif:
Yes. You don't fix car bodies that are not broken. Here, the phrase ' first body' puts the seller in the driving wheel during negotiation.

I do not agree with you. So one cannot decide to change the colour of his car as i am considering a change of colour myself?

8 Likes

Re: Does Repainting Your Car Devalue It? by abatically(m): 8:39am On Jan 19, 2015
uboma:

I do not agree with you. So one cannot decide to change the colour of his car as i am considering a change of colour myself?

Yes someone can decide to change the color of his car, but can u spend over $2,000 to give ur car a paint job? Unless u can do that, then it will never be like first body.

7 Likes

Re: Does Repainting Your Car Devalue It? by fanex: 9:18am On Jan 19, 2015
it depends on the quality of the job. there are only a handful of experts in Nigeria.

6 Likes

Re: Does Repainting Your Car Devalue It? by uboma(m): 9:23am On Jan 19, 2015
fanex:
it depends on the quality of the job. there are only a handful of experts in Nigeria.

Thanks for bringing this vital point out. the second person that commented on this thread obviously had a bitter experience from an amatuer. but that doesnt mean that there are no experts here.

11 Likes

Re: Does Repainting Your Car Devalue It? by Nobody: 9:49am On Jan 19, 2015
Contrary to popular belief, you can change the colour of your car in Nigeria, without devaluing it.

I have no idea why the majority believe there are no skilled craftsmen in Nigeria. There are loads. The issues are the average Nigerian would rather spend peanuts, and moan when the paint job turns out bad.

I know of quite a few Nigerians in Nigeria who have had good colour changes, that have been factory standard. My parents had awesome colour changes on their cars back in the 1980's, and that was back when bodyshop skills were not as they are today.

41 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Does Repainting Your Car Devalue It? by Kashif(m): 9:55am On Jan 19, 2015
uboma:

Nobody says you cannot change your car's colour, but this is even more damning at resale. If a buyer sees a car has bee repainted, the seller has a lot of explanation and convincing to do. If your car has no scratches, dents, rusts, you are not going to repaint it (same colour).

Once a car has been repainted, buyers are more careful. Remember the question here bothers on resale. Its easier to sell a car with original factory paint, talking from experience.

25 Likes

Re: Does Repainting Your Car Devalue It? by abatically(m): 10:10am On Jan 19, 2015
Kashif:

Nobody says you cannot change your car's colour, but this is even more damning at resale. If a buyer sees a car has bee repainted, the seller has a lot of explanation and convincing to do. If your car has no scratches, dents, rusts, you are not going to repaint it (same colour).

Once a car has been repainted, buyers are more careful. Remember the question here bothers on resale. Its easier to sell a car with original factory paint, talking from experience.

The thing is if u are spending N100,000 on paint job, then u can never expect it to be factory specs. If my car is not dented, I can decide to spend over 200k to repaint it to factory spec because I want to. But I can't spend that much to repaint it so I can SELL IT. If my intention is to sell it then I can get a N70,000 paint job done and will attract buyers. But the thing is after a few months, expect to see scratches. It is not financially wise to respray a used car to factory specs to attract buyers. This is why I say respraying a car devalues it because cars tat are put for sale will never be painted to factory spec.

11 Likes

Re: Does Repainting Your Car Devalue It? by fanex: 10:23am On Jan 19, 2015
i recently painted my car after 4 years of running it on our soil and instantly i could spot the difference between. Even though i gave the job to one of the best guys i could find and after he was done it seemed flawless to everyone who saw it. The honest truth is "he ruined the 4 years old paint job". DO NOT PAINT YOUR CAR UNLESS ITS UNAVOIDABLE.

43 Likes

Re: Does Repainting Your Car Devalue It? by uboma(m): 9:06pm On Jan 19, 2015
Siena:
Contrary to popular belief, you can change the colour of your car in Nigeria, without devaluing it.

I have no idea why the majority believe there are no skilled craftsmen in Nigeria. There are loads. The issues are the average Nigerian would rather spend peanuts, and moan when the paint job turns out bad.

I know of quite a few Nigerians in Nigeria who have had good colour changes, that have been factory standard. My parents had awesome colour changes on their cars back in the 1980's, and that was back when bodyshop skills were not as they are today.

Excellent response as always.

3 Likes

Re: Does Repainting Your Car Devalue It? by uboma(m): 9:15pm On Jan 19, 2015
Kashif:

You have simply repeated my initial post (that some people feel that every car that has been re-sprayed is a write-off). The question is why do some have such mentality?

Of course every car will have some scratches here and there and some dents because Nigeria so far still is a lawless country when it comes to using the road.

Assuming the reason for changing the colour of my car is simply because i prefer a change, should that devalue my car?
Re: Does Repainting Your Car Devalue It? by uboma(m): 9:21pm On Jan 19, 2015
fanex:
i recently painted my car after 4 years of running it on our soil and instantly i could spot the difference between. Even though i gave the job to one of the best guys i could find and after he was done it seemed flawless to everyone who saw it. The honest truth is "he ruined the 4 years old paint job". DO NOT PAINT YOUR CAR UNLESS ITS UNAVOIDABLE.

Of course, there are bound to be differences from the factory/primary spray to the secondary spray. A friend of mine changed the colour of his car from dark green (whose paint had started cracking) to light brown about four years back and its still looking good.

1 Like

Re: Does Repainting Your Car Devalue It? by dejohnky: 12:13am On Jan 20, 2015
pls lemme ask a vital question; is it the paint that scratches itself or what? cos i dont understand. u av okada riders, keke napep, danfo drivers, truck pushers, cart pushers etc on the street who are liable to scratch or damage ur car at anytime!? no dis that every paint a painter uses on ur car as its code and standard. they will only do for u a job that u are willing to pay for. i dont believe their are shabby painters cos weda u like it dis guys are professionals in der field and dem go chop. pay correct money and i promise u u will get a good job, pay egun and u will get a shabby job.

3 Likes

Re: Does Repainting Your Car Devalue It? by cecegorz(m): 6:02am On Jan 20, 2015
abatically:
Yes repainting a car in Nigeria devalues the car and I have my reasons.

Paint jobs carried out in Nigeria are trash, even the so called oven baking. It will cost thousands of dollar to get a car painted to factory specs. Who in Nigeria is willing to pay that much just to respray a car? I had a slight accident with my car last march, i fixed it and decided to oven bake it with the sane color it came with. After 8 months there were scratches everywhere. Even dust dey cause the car to scratch. It is no way near the paint job that came with the car. OEM paint job can last as long as 15 years whearas Nigerian oven baking will barely last 1 year. U can't blame them though, u get what u pay for.
You are right bro.
My first car was used for four years with the glossy Factory paint still shinning, but had to repaint it early last year because of scratches here and there (door sides and bumpers), usually caused by Okada, keke, buses and some over zealous drivers.
The so called oven baking was even done by a NL member that advertised his job here, and I decided to patronize him but I can tell you that just under one year, the whole thing became dull and gets so easily scratched by even wash clothes and dust shocked
Now, you see all kinds of lines on the roof top that you'll never find on a car with the Toks paint still on.
It's different when another car or bike dents your car than when you notice upper parts that never gets into contact with other objects having some visible lines and faded within a year.
Nigerian artisans lack requisite skills, even when the technology is the same with the Oyibos, they are always in a hurry and won't do a thorough job.
I regretted doing that whole oven bake, I would have just painted the sides and bumpers and leave the roof/boot/hood as it were.

15 Likes

Re: Does Repainting Your Car Devalue It? by abatically(m): 9:15am On Jan 20, 2015
dejohnky:
pls lemme ask a vital question; is it the paint that scratches itself or what? cos i dont understand. u av okada riders, keke napep, danfo drivers, truck pushers, cart pushers etc on the street who are liable to scratch or damage ur car at anytime!? no dis that every paint a painter uses on ur car as its code and standard. they will only do for u a job that u are willing to pay for. i dont believe their are shabby painters cos weda u like it dis guys are professionals in der field and dem go chop. pay correct money and i promise u u will get a good job, pay egun and u will get a shabby job.

Bros, its a different thing for an okada or a different CSR to scratch u, but when ur car gets scratched by dust or ordinary wash cloths that is another thing entirely. Paint hobs in Nigeria are trash and that's a fact. Nobody will spend over 200k to respray a used car to factory specs.

Though, a few companies do clean paint jobs in naija. I know a fella that sells new cars and sometimes they get dented on the way from the port. There's this company that do the paint job for him to factory spec and he spends between 300-400k for paint job alone. U will not find a tokunbo car at this shop, all are brand new.

4 Likes

Re: Does Repainting Your Car Devalue It? by dgitrader(m): 10:35pm On Apr 02, 2015
Interesting. I noticed some repainted cars sparkling bright, but only to start fading and wear off within months. Especially the topmost part of the car that get direct impart of sunlight. Why is that?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Repainting Your Car Devalue It? by Kashif(m): 11:04am On Apr 03, 2015
dgitrader:
Interesting. I noticed some repainted cars sparkling bright, but only to start fading and wear off within months. Especially the topmost part of the car that get direct impart of sunlight. Why is that?

Poor paint job!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Repainting Your Car Devalue It? by ivoryhouse(m): 3:02pm On Apr 03, 2015
Siena:

Very true Siena. I painted my landrover and frankly,I wasn't impressed and knew it was a poor job even before I picked up the car. I have been looking around for a company that will do a better job.
A friend of mine found an elderly gentleman who has a paint booth with all the right equipment. My friends 2002 Toyota corola was painted with N120k and it was done to factory quality.
What I noticed is that the paint is one of the issues as most of them use some cheap generic paint for.all brands and all auto body whether made from steel, aluminum or fiber. Also most Nigerians want cheap things. If done right, a paint job should not devalue the car

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Repainting Your Car Devalue It? by Nobody: 3:06pm On Apr 03, 2015
ivoryhouse:

Very true Siena. I painted my landrover and frankly,I wasn't impressed and knew it was a poor job even before I picked up the car. I have been looking around for a company that will do a better job.
A friend of mine found an elderly gentleman who has a paint booth with all the right equipment. My friends 2002 Toyota corola was painted with N120k and it was done to factory quality.
What I noticed is that the paint is one of the issues as most of them use some cheap generic paint for.all brands and all auto body whether made from steel, aluminum or fiber. Also most Nigerians want cheap things. If done right, a paint job should not devalue the car

Spot on!

1 Like

Re: Does Repainting Your Car Devalue It? by Denn(m): 4:11pm On Apr 03, 2015
The average tokunbo has been sprayed before being shipped.

Quality is however not always certain with a high price. The fact that I charge you N 200, 000 for a paint job does not guarantee quality.

30 Likes

Re: Does Repainting Your Car Devalue It? by hoodboy(m): 3:59am On Apr 04, 2015
I got one nigerian used car and I've ben considering doing bodywork on it...now I'm having double mind about it, thought oven bake was going to be the solution...na wa I...what am I gonna do now

1 Like

Re: Does Repainting Your Car Devalue It? by chuka5000(m): 8:30am On Apr 04, 2015
If ur car is in good condition I dont think the naija paint job will affect its price. I have sold 3 of my cars that were painted here in naija and I sold them well.
Besides there's even one that u can hardly know that it was repainted, I can post pix wen I return to abj after easter.
U shld know also that sometimes its not the price of the job done that matters but the expertise and experience of the spray .
@ siena. Good point bro.

1 Like

Re: Does Repainting Your Car Devalue It? by auhanson(m): 1:12am On Apr 05, 2015
Waoh!! interesting topic.

If i hadn't been there i would have been confused a lot more. But thank God i have 2 experiences, I bought my w202 c class Nigerian use , the painting work was scratched so i decided and gave it a neat spraying job but not a very expensive type like the amount mentioned here. I spotted a dude who does it well over here and he did it for me . This is the 3rd year and i bet you it will still remain like that for the next 10 years, my car is only looking finer by the day. Out of gratitude, i introduce 4 more guys to him a jaguar guy amongst them who inherited from his Dad, the guy did his and the jaquar turns new and he was able to sell at a very good price and went for a car he could maintain.

Out of the four of us, my car still stands out as the best amongst them. People keep on asking me if i respray it every now and then. So the other 3 guys came to me for advice and i put them through , now they are very happy with their cars still looking good except one of them who had already mess his with all sort of lines and scratches here and there, an honda EOD, and i kept on wondering how he did such a mess.

The bottom line is, some guys knows their onions , they may not even be expensive like this dude, but make sure you delibrately allow them room to make some profit for themselves , a craft man deserve this. Don't drag price with an honest painter.

There are ways to maintain your car paint, don't use dry dusty/sandy rag to mess the paint work (the clear coat) . Is either you wash it with a soft clothe(microfiber clothe) or you leave it untill you have time to do so with plenty of water . Use mild liquid soap, preferably car wash but not detergent nor toilet/key soap except for the tyres.

Always mop up the water from the clear coat with a clean wet microfiber clothe to dry after rinsing out the surd, and preferably with an hydrate spayed on the microfiber clothe if you have one , it help protect the paint and maintains the clear coat from harsh conditions and extreme sunlight.

Once in a while(every 6 month) you could wax it to bring out the painting. Never wake up in the morning and just decide to use any rag to rub off the morning dew in the name of cleaning the car. Nothing kills and scratches paint work than this kind of habit. Leave it if you don't have the time to wash, then wash it later.

36 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Does Repainting Your Car Devalue It? by Denn(m): 7:16am On Apr 05, 2015
Oh....how did I forget.

Using detergents like Omo and Klin which is a common practice in Nigeria etches most paint jobs faster.

This is one of the main reasons for destroyed paint jobs in Nigeria.

We are fist bundled with inferior and low quality paints, obviously imported from China, then we speed up the process with cloth detergent.

I have learnt to use genuine car washing soaps or ordinary water. A car is not a plate and ordinary water can remove most stains.

6 Likes

Re: Does Repainting Your Car Devalue It? by auhanson(m): 3:30pm On Apr 05, 2015
Ordinary water could work well when it comes to flushing out the dirts/sand and also in the event that you have finished washing your car and got it dirty somehow , you could use ordinary water to flush and wash out the dust,drts and sand particles before coming to mop out your car as earlier described either with or without hydrate with a wet microfiber clothe. Make sure you constantly rinse out sand particles from this clothe so that you do not use it to constantly scratch you clear coat.

Outside this, ordinary water is not good enough as a conventional washing method. Reason is that atmospheric oxygen will always react with water to form oxidation (CO2+H2 = C0+H2O) on you paint work. This often changes the color of your paint as well as causing it to lose its shiny lustre property. But a well formulated car wash rather forms a protective shiny cover ontop of your paint work glossing it out to shine, aside washing out the dirts which are carried away by the surd, that is why you must rinse out the surd with enough clean water and avoid washing under direct sunlight, except you have enough clean water handily to rinse out immediately as you wash each portion

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Repainting Your Car Devalue It? by Stylz69(m): 5:10pm On Apr 05, 2015
O
auhanson:
Ordinary water could work well when it comes to flushing out the dirts/sand and also in th event that you have finished washing your car and got it dirty somehow , you could use ordinary water to flush and wash out the dust,drts and sand particles before coming to mop out your car as earlier described either with or without hydrate with a wet microfiber clothe. Make sure you constantly rinse out sand particles from this clothe so that you do not use it to constantly scratch you clear coat.

Outside this, ordinary water is not good enough as a conventional washing method. Reason is that atmospheric oxygen will always react with water to form oxidation(H2O+ O2 = H2S04) on you paint work. This often changes the color of your paint as well as causing it to lose its shiny lustre property. But a well formulated car wash rather forms a protective shiny cover ontop of your paint work glossing it out to shine aside washing out the dirts wish are carried away by the surd, that is why you must rinse out the surd with enough clean water and avoid washing under direct sunlight, except you have enough clean water handily to rinse out immediately as you are washing a particular portion

You made a lot of valid points but messed it all up with your chemical equation. How does water react with oxygen to give sulphuric acid? Oxidation has nothing to do with sulphuric acid so refresh your chemistry and correct yourself sharp sharp grin...but what do I know.

21 Likes

Re: Does Repainting Your Car Devalue It? by Fixed: 6:09pm On Apr 05, 2015
auhanson:
Ordinary water could work well when it comes to flushing out the dirts/sand and also in th event that you have finished washing your car and got it dirty somehow , you could use ordinary water to flush and wash out the dust,drts and sand particles before coming to mop out your car as earlier described either with or without hydrate with a wet microfiber clothe. Make sure you constantly rinse out sand particles from this clothe so that you do not use it to constantly scratch you clear coat.

Outside this, ordinary water is not good enough as a conventional washing method. Reason is that atmospheric oxygen will always react with water to form oxidation(H2O+ O2 = H2S04) on you paint work. This often changes the color of your paint as well as causing it to lose its shiny lustre property. But a well formulated car wash rather forms a protective shiny cover ontop of your paint work glossing it out to shine aside washing out the dirts wish are carried away by the surd, that is why you must rinse out the surd with enough clean water and avoid washing under direct sunlight, except you have enough clean water handily to rinse out immediately as you are washing a particular portion

Oga please don't mislead young Chemistry students.
H2O +O2 is not equal to H2SO4 PLEASE. That is an acid!

By the way, I agree with you that a well formulated car wash soap is necessary for a brilliant, shining paint. You don't wash a very dirty car with ordinary water. No matter the amount of water. The maps will show up when it is dry.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Repainting Your Car Devalue It? by auhanson(m): 10:12pm On Apr 05, 2015
Stylz69:
O

You made a lot of valid points but messed it all up with your chemical equation. How does water react with oxygen to give sulphuric acid? Oxidation has nothing to do with sulphuric acid so refresh your chemistry and correct yourself sharp sharp grin...but what do I know.

Fixed:

Oga please don't mislead young Chemistry students.
H2O +O2 is not equal to H2SO4 PLEASE. That is an acid!

THANKS YARE FOR SPOTTING THAT OUT, I THINK I NEED TO VISIT MY PRIMARY CHEMISTRY AGAIN. YOU CAN DO THE CORRECTION FOR ME IF YOU DONT MIND... smiley smiley THIS CHEMISTRY SEF DE THINK NO DEY GREE STAY FOR HEAD OH!!! CORRECTED THOUGH.

5 Likes

Re: Does Repainting Your Car Devalue It? by ivoryhouse(m): 5:07pm On Apr 13, 2015
Denn:
Oh....how did I forget.

Using detergents like Omo and Klin which is a common practice in Nigeria etches most paint jobs faster.

This is one of the main reasons for destroyed paint jobs in Nigeria.

We are fist bundled with inferior and low quality paints, obviously imported from China, then we speed up the process with cloth detergent.

I have learnt to use genuine car washing soaps or ordinary water. A car is not a plate and ordinary water can remove most stains.
Well said. The paint quality is the main issue here and there are a few painters who understand painting but lack equipment. I frankly will hesitate taking any of my cars to an ill equipped paint shop no matter how good they are. Bottom line is that a paint job,when well done can add value to your auto
Re: Does Repainting Your Car Devalue It? by Nobody: 9:26pm On Nov 24, 2015
auhanson:
Waoh!! interesting topic.
If i hadn't been there i would have been confused a lot more. But thank God i have 2 experiences, I bought my w202 c class Nigerian use , the painting work was scratched so i decided and gave it a neat spraying job but not a very expensive type like the amount mentioned here. I spotted a dude who does it well over here and he did it for me . This is the 3rd year and i bet you it will still remain like that for the next 10 years, my car is only looking finer by the day. Out of gratitude, i introduce 4 more guys to him a jaguar guy amongst them who inherited from his Dad, the guy did his and the jaquar turns new and he was able to sell at a very good price and went for a car he could maintain.
Out of the four of us, my car still stands out as the best amongst them. People keep on asking me if i respray it every now and then. So the other 3 guys came to me for advice and i put them through , now they are very happy with their cars still looking good except one of them who had already mess his with all sort of lines and scratches here and there, an honda EOD, and i kept on wondering how he did such a mess.
The bottom line is, some guys knows their onions , they may not even be expensive like this dude, but make sure you delibrately allow them room to make some profit for themselves , a craft man deserve this. Don't drag price with an honest painter.
There are ways to maintain your car paint, don't use dry dusty/sandy rag to mess the paint work (the clear coat) . Is either you wash it with a soft clothe(microfiber clothe) or you leave it untill you have time to do so with plenty of water . Use mild liquid soap, preferably car wash but not detergent nor toilet/key soap except for the tyres.
Always mop up the water from the clear coat with a clean wet microfiber clothe to dry after rinsing out the surd, and preferably with an hydrate spayed on the microfiber clothe if you have one , it help protect the paint and maintains the clear coat from harsh conditions and extreme sunlight.
Once in a while(every 6 month) you could wax it to bring out the painting. Never wake up in the morning and just decide to use any rag to rub off the morning dew in the name of cleaning the car. Nothing kills and scratches paint work than this kind of habit. Leave it if you don't have the time to wash, then wash it later.

Please help me with your painter's contacts. Thanks.

@Siena - kindly refer or share painters in Nigeria that can get my car back to near factory finish.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Innoson: The Story, The Journey And The Truth About Innoson Motors / Would You Buy This 1987 Ford Sierra Cosworth RS500 For N55million? (photos) / Mechanics And The Pranks They Play On Car Owners. Share Your Experience

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.