Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,238 members, 7,807,799 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:28 PM

The Bad State Of Murtala Muhammed International Airport - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Bad State Of Murtala Muhammed International Airport (37856 Views)

37 Nigerians Deported From Italy Arrive Murtala Muhammed International Airport / Air Peace Tyre Deflates On Take-Off At Murtala Muhammed International Airport / Fire Outbreak At Murtala Muhammed International Airport MMIA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Bad State Of Murtala Muhammed International Airport by successking: 3:59pm On Jan 19, 2015
Dele is caught up in Ghana and so seriously in need of help!
Re: The Bad State Of Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Rossikk(m): 4:01pm On Jan 19, 2015
Reptyle:
How much was recently spent on renovating this terminal again?
It is still being renovated and expanded.

1 Like

Re: The Bad State Of Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Nobody: 4:02pm On Jan 19, 2015
dabossman:

And who directly or indirectly pays the bill of all these people you've listed? The government, through tax payers money and the income generated from our commonwealth. If the President shows his displeasure to the Minister about the state of the airport, you think the ripple effect won't cascade down to the cleaning agency?

Nigeria is a peculiar country. We've not gotten to the point where people, especially those in the public sector, know that they must do their jobs or get booted out. This is why anyone that will lead this country must have a more hands on approach until proper maintenance becomes a culture.
Do you really know the Duties and Responsibilities of a President ? Or you just sit down and assume what should be the duties of a President. Anyway, let me assume you do not know the duties of a President, just like Dele Momodu. The duties of a President does not include supervising of all the Airports facilities in this large country. May be you should apply for the job of a maintenance officer in the airport. My President has a busy routine daily.

3 Likes

Re: The Bad State Of Murtala Muhammed International Airport by atlwireles: 4:03pm On Jan 19, 2015
Timoleon:

Nigerians like u like to delude yourselves. i f he doesn't report this to the president, who else should he have reported to? there are mops and bla bla bla...... when you gi to an eatery or restaurant, do u go to theur kitchen to wash plates or you call the attention of the owner who in turn calls his employees to do the needful? whats wrong in calling on the president to instruct an institution under his control to call the authorities within the airport to order? or is it not a federal airport again?

What a mindset, that's why some of you are dying of poverty in this land of plenty. angry

1 Like

Re: The Bad State Of Murtala Muhammed International Airport by dabossman(m): 4:09pm On Jan 19, 2015
eaglechild:

Looool!

You want the president to pay surprise visit to the toilet, what is the work of the head cleaner?

Soon he will start paying surprise visit to your room to see if you swept it.

Is there a rule of etiquette that bars the President from inspecting work that he released funds for? Does he not go to inspect roads, power grids and railway lines? Let us stop decieving ourselves. We all know there is a lot of eye service and corruption in our system. Until a culture of excellence is instilled in a people, a responsible leader must apply a hands on approach.

If you have managed a Nigeria business staff force before, you will understand. Most of us don't like to do our job until we are compelled to through likely sanctions.
Re: The Bad State Of Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Nobody: 4:11pm On Jan 19, 2015
worry359:
It was said on a telivision program that the baggage handling eqipment was designed for NORMAL travellers around the world.
Most people have luggage of less than 30kg but Nigerians must have HUGE bags of over 100kg.
Then complain because conveyor breaks down.
Then ALL the airlines operating from the airport should strictly enforce the baggage limitation.
Re: The Bad State Of Murtala Muhammed International Airport by dabossman(m): 4:12pm On Jan 19, 2015
Billyonaire:
Do you really know the Duties and Responsibilities of a President ? Or you just sit down and assume what should be the duties of a President. Anyway, let me assume you do not know the duties of a President, just like Dele Momodu. The duties of a President does not include supervising of all the Airports facilities in this large country. May be you should apply for the job of a maintenance officer in the airport. My President has a busy routine daily.

Since you manage the President's itinerary, do you mind telling us what he does all day?
Re: The Bad State Of Murtala Muhammed International Airport by iamord(m): 4:13pm On Jan 19, 2015
Flytefalls:
That toilet lipsrsealed
I. Prefer to open my window in the plane.. And shgrin;Dt from there.. All in Cloud 9.. Than to use such a toilet.. grin . But to be Honest.. Kotoka is Not any better either. It might have cleaner facilities but it suffers from poor planning and congestion .
Re: The Bad State Of Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Nobody: 4:18pm On Jan 19, 2015
dabossman:

Since you manage the President's itinerary, do you mind telling us what he does all day?
Let me assume you are using a smartphone; Then proceed to the GooglePlay and type; 'Nigeria's Constitution'. Find time to read the constitutional responsibilities of the President. It will do you some good, and please advise Dele Momodu to download and read too.

2 Likes

Re: The Bad State Of Murtala Muhammed International Airport by mascot5: 4:19pm On Jan 19, 2015
dis 1 na air port abi na playing ground :odis 1 na air port abi na playing ground
Re: The Bad State Of Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Nobody: 4:21pm On Jan 19, 2015
atlwireles:

What a mindset, that's why some of you are dying of poverty in this land of plenty. angry
I tell you. Dele Momodu could have called the attention of the airport manager. The President shouldn't be involved in that type of matter.

1 Like

Re: The Bad State Of Murtala Muhammed International Airport by yommyuk: 4:24pm On Jan 19, 2015
One can only imagine what would be investors will be thinking after seeing the state of our airport. The last time I passed thru MMA, the escalator was not working. It is really appalling and disgraceful to see these things still happening in this day and age.
Re: The Bad State Of Murtala Muhammed International Airport by feedthenation(m): 4:25pm On Jan 19, 2015
For some of us who regularly use the MMIA in the past 4 years...i can say that only a fraction of change has been done.

The baggage area on arrival is still very hot...the cooling system is not existence...even worse if 3 airlines should land within minutes.

The carousels are the slowest I have seen in my life...someone said earlier that they are designed to hold luggage less than 30kg...but carousels from other airports were able to operate well without any fault despite the heavy load by Nigerians.

Apart from the expansion of the immigration area...there has been little changes

The last time I travelled, less than 2months ago...i even noticed an officer of the Nigerian Immigration Service (NIS) checking up Nairaland - 'politics' page on his pc...goes to show that internet connection at MMIA is working.
Re: The Bad State Of Murtala Muhammed International Airport by docadams: 4:33pm On Jan 19, 2015
PerfumeRepublik:
We bad for maintenance gaan...
Its not just about putting up new infrastructure, its all about management.
You'll see a grown up man consume satchet water, Gala +La casera and drop the refuse on a beautiful ,swept Road.
Nigeria ,I hail Una!

Too bad.
But then asked the older generation at what time in our history since independence did we sanitize ourselves and our environment. 1984-1985!!!

1 Like

Re: The Bad State Of Murtala Muhammed International Airport by babadee1(m): 4:34pm On Jan 19, 2015
eazydon:
Well, not everything can be fixed at once

Why not? That's just an excuse for doing nothing. By the way, the country's main international airport should always be a top priority.
Re: The Bad State Of Murtala Muhammed International Airport by segzybam(m): 4:38pm On Jan 19, 2015
I thought my brothers from the east said aunt dough had turned this airport into world class airport o. Now we can see where she squeezed her bullet-proof money out from.
Re: The Bad State Of Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Nobody: 4:41pm On Jan 19, 2015
Babymama1:

[size=18pt]
Used tissue everywhere because Nigerians are dirty people and lack proper hygiene.many will prefer to wipe their poo and drop the tissue on the floor than inside the toilet.
Nothing to do with the president[/size]
Exactly. Indiscipline amongst the regular citizens is another problem.

1 Like

Re: The Bad State Of Murtala Muhammed International Airport by VoteWisely: 4:42pm On Jan 19, 2015
“Thanks to the YouWiN! grant, a dream that could have taken years was made a reality just within one year”- J.Saeed, CEO, The Smile Shop

“I can indeed testify that the YouWiN! programme has moved us from ‘grass to grace’- Alice umoh, Managing Director of Switbud Enterprises

#VoteWisely
@deependemocracy

1 Like

Re: The Bad State Of Murtala Muhammed International Airport by akulaxx: 4:43pm On Jan 19, 2015
The dirty culture of Nigerians is to be blame for the filthy nature of the toilets, can somebody tell me what a plastic kettle is doing in a public toilet?

1 Like

Re: The Bad State Of Murtala Muhammed International Airport by adisa204(m): 4:43pm On Jan 19, 2015
AutosBay:
It is well, you are complaining now, because a certain political party will give you a mouth watering position, I'm weeping for Nigeria, you see Not that Nigeria can not be like the advanced countries of this world, but I really feel we ourselves are the major disaster of our problems.
what is dis one saying,a normal citizen is bringing about d loophole in our so called best airport to everyone's notice and here u re trying to act like u re d only educated fellow on nairaland
Re: The Bad State Of Murtala Muhammed International Airport by lastpage: 4:44pm On Jan 19, 2015
nerodenero:
All hail Stella Oduah! I am very sure that posterity will definitely judge our leaders. Shame on all of them!

Dont just heap ALL THE BLAME on "STEALLER" ODUAH!

...Sombori appointed her to that position and kept backing her up even when it was obvious she was a common, GREEDY THIEF!

The problem lies with a FAILED LEADERSHIP called Jonathan. Period.
Leadership is about taking responsibility
!

Lastpage!
Re: The Bad State Of Murtala Muhammed International Airport by lastpage: 4:49pm On Jan 19, 2015
akulaxx:
The dirty culture of Nigerians is to be blame for the filthy nature of the toilets, can somebody tell me what a plastic kettle is doing in a public toilet?

YOU!...my friend, is irredeemably STEWPID!

Now, let me help your LAZY BRAIN do some thinking:

The Kettle is there because:

1.) There are no Tissue papers in the Toilets

2.) People need to "clean-up" after doing their "toilet business"!

3.) That KETTLE is there for people to use for No. 2. ..... in the absence of No. 1.

Now Gerrout before l give your brain a jugging! DAFT PUNK!! grin grin

Lastpage!
Re: The Bad State Of Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Nobody: 4:53pm On Jan 19, 2015
Billyonaire:
I see nothing wrong with the facilities except for zero maintenance culture of an average Nigerian. ( I stand to be corrected); and it is not the job of any country's president to clean and fix toliets and conveyor belts. I think all Airports should be privatized. USA has over 2,000 airports and 0ver 90% of them apart from military airports are privately owned and government only regulates.

Dele Momodu is a very f00lish person.
I agree with you. Although, here in the US most airports are actually owned by either County or City governments.
The Dulles airport in Virginia is partly owned by the US government; and I believe it's the only US airport built by the federal government.
Re: The Bad State Of Murtala Muhammed International Airport by phantom23: 5:01pm On Jan 19, 2015
@TimoLeon thanks for your comment
@atswireless, thanks too for your response to his comment...

Timo, first what makes you think I'm Nigerian? I once was..and I still care about its well being.
Secondly you need to have a change of mindset. Understand how things work in a civil society.
Why do you have hierarchy? TBH, state of airport is the least of the issues on a president's mind. You think Obama cares about what happens in the toilet of JFK? I tell you, if you see a stray ladder or mop in any civilised country's airport, someone is getting fired that day. And guess what, the head of the airport may not even know jack about it. The operations manager may not even hear about it. But it won't happen another day. Why? there is a system where everyone knows where they fit in and they do their part accordingly.
I see your argument about eateries and restaurants etc though, however if you enter into a KFC and you find it dirty.. do you start looking for the overall boss of KFC?
This a matter for the store. MMIA is a matter for the airport and if they know what they are doing someone should be sacked already for letting that slip past them, either through misappropriation of their allocation or corruption whatever you call it. Notice i also mentioned freedom of press...it means the press can gather info like how much the govt is giving out to different organisations, how they use the funds they receive from govt. and put it in public domain for those who wish to know so that we know who to hold responsible for any failure.

It is bad for a respected journalist to take sides. This is what Dele Momodu is doing and it's really sad

Soon people will start telling him to shut up....

Timoleon:

Nigerians like u like to delude yourselves. i f he doesn't report this to the presisent, who else should he have reported to? there are mops and bla bla bla...... when you gi to an eatery or restaurant, do u go to theur kitchen to wash plates or you call the attention of the owner who in turn calls his employees to do the needful? whats wrong in calling on the president to instruct an institution under his control to call the authorities within the airport to order? or is it not a federal airport again?

1 Like

Re: The Bad State Of Murtala Muhammed International Airport by phantom23: 5:03pm On Jan 19, 2015
@TimoLeon thanks for your comment
@atswireless, thanks too for your response to his comment...

Timo, first what makes you think I'm Nigerian? I once was..and I still care about its well being.
Secondly you need to have a change of mindset. Understand how things work in a civil society.
Why do you have hierarchy? TBH, state of airport is the least of the issues on a president's mind. You think Obama cares about what happens in the toilet of JFK? I tell you, if you see a stray ladder or mop in any civilised country's airport, someone is getting fired that day. And guess what, the head of the airport may not even know jack about it. The operations manager may not even hear about it. But it won't happen another day. Why? there is a system where everyone knows where they fit in and they do their part accordingly.
I see your argument about eateries and restaurants etc though, however if you enter into a KFC and you find it dirty.. do you start looking for the overall boss of KFC?This a matter for the store.
MMIA is a matter for the airport authority and if they know what they are doing someone should be sacked already for letting that slip past them, either through misappropriation of their allocation or corruption whatever you call it. Notice i also mentioned freedom of press...it means the press can gather info like how much the govt is giving out to its different institutions, how they use the funds they receive from govt. and put it in public domain for those who wish to know so that we know who to hold responsible for any failure. Besides this should also include how much Nigeria earns and how it is all spent. Is this a difficult question for the youths of Nigeria to ask their leaders? If they manage to achieve this, Nigeria is nearing the beginning of the end of corruption.

It is bad for a respected journalist to take sides. This is what Dele Momodu is doing and it's really sad

Soon people will start telling him to shut up....let me be the first to officially tell him to.... (@Dele Momodu - no pressure...just letting you know how you are beginning to sound)

2 Likes

Re: The Bad State Of Murtala Muhammed International Airport by DrDre1(m): 5:03pm On Jan 19, 2015
I laugh when I hear that place called an airport grin

1 Like

Re: The Bad State Of Murtala Muhammed International Airport by phantom23: 5:33pm On Jan 19, 2015
@Dabossman,
You have taken everything out of context here.
The current state of that airport didn't magically appear out of the blues under GEJ admin. It's been on a steady decline since the mid 90's and Dele Momodu has not challenged any other president on this... Why now?
Also people are appointed to oversee minor things like these because the office of a president is a busy one.

All this analogy of yours about leaving one company to another....what are you on about?
dabossman:

I like your line of argument. However, ask yourself; if you were appointed MD/ CEO of a multinational and you swung into action to release funds for renovation and stuff through the help of your trusted manager. Then after 6 months everything is falling apart simply because your manager left for another company. What will you tell the board? "Oh it's not my fault. It's the cleaning agency we use. They are very sloppy." They are not going to listen to that. Or would you agree that Stephen Keshi has no blame in the performance of the Eagles even though we all know the FA and the players have their own fault?

1 Like

Re: The Bad State Of Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Nobody: 5:39pm On Jan 19, 2015
RicKyRichards:

Hmmm...Oh yes it does. But definitely not me. Maybe jealous NL ladies. Just maybe. Erm...please tell me you've not been using that cooking oil for your hair.
NL ladies are fine, hair is not beauty/virtue smiley

Lol, no I don't use cooking oil in my hair u plum.
Re: The Bad State Of Murtala Muhammed International Airport by bfire(m): 5:42pm On Jan 19, 2015
IGBOSON1:

^^^You guys make me laugh wallahi!

From the pics you see, it's obvious the structures are in place....the problem now being that of maintenance! It's been almost a year now since you lot bullied GEJ into removing her from office, yet you expect the airport facilities to still be as she left them!?

If you're looking for anyone to blame, blame the immediate past acting minister and current minister of aviation!

Stop saying what you don't know anything about.

How often do you use that Airport? I travel often and know that the airport has been like that since the time of the said "RENOVATION".

It's so unfair when you guys write on things just because of tribal connection. Speak the truth you know and let devil be ashamed. After all, i'm a Nigerian too.
Re: The Bad State Of Murtala Muhammed International Airport by clubone0501: 5:58pm On Jan 19, 2015
eshadiamond:
I love dis

my comment or my blinds. ..feel free to make enquiries via my contact details.
Re: The Bad State Of Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Nobody: 6:06pm On Jan 19, 2015
Flytefalls:

NL ladies are fine, hair is not beauty/virtue smiley

Lol, no I don't use cooking oil in my hair u plum.
Hehe...maybe hair isn't a virtue; but it is beauty. Congratulations on making them even more envious now...lol
Oh really?! Good. Cos I would've been sad for the cooking oil.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The Myth About Nigerians Washing Dead Bodies In The US / Renewing Nigerian E-passport In London / Passengers Die In Accident On Warri-Ughelli Expressway In Delta. Graphic Pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.