Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,185 members, 7,807,622 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:22 PM

What Can You Make Of This Scripture? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Can You Make Of This Scripture? (973 Views)

Who Are The 3 Best Teachers Of The Scripture In Nigeria? / What Does This Scripture Say Really? / Jehohava Witnesses, Please Explain This Scripture For Me!!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Can You Make Of This Scripture? by anukulapo: 3:19pm On Jan 19, 2015
1 Timothy 4:13

King James Bible
Till I come, give attendance to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine.

New International Version
Until I come, devote yourself to the public reading of Scripture, to preaching and to teaching.

I have come across questions that have relationships with some of the points in the verse above.
Paul, writing to his protege encouraged him to continue the ministry work AND particularly encouraging him to continue
* Reading (the scripture)
* Preaching (exhortation)
* Teaching (doctrine)

One of the questions I came across on the forum is about what the "scripture" is (holding that Paul is definitely not referring to his epistle(s) and other epistles).

To put it forth, my question...
1) Which scripture was he referring to? OR what was he referring to generally to be read (if it was not the scripture)
2) What doctrines was he talking about?

All teachers are welcome.

Thanks.
Re: What Can You Make Of This Scripture? by Ezedon(m): 3:28pm On Jan 19, 2015
Read with the inspiration of holy spirit to understand
Re: What Can You Make Of This Scripture? by columbushenry(m): 4:19pm On Jan 19, 2015
Its the book of the Law that is being referred to there. You will recall that when Jesus was being tempted he was quoting from the book of Deuteronomy to counter the devil and it was amended by him too.
Matt. 5:18-21
18  For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

19  Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

20  For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

21  Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment:

so what has been taught then and read in churches was the book of the Law and other notable events on reigning of Kings and Prophecies given by Prophets. But Jesus in that text there was explaining going beyond that which they have read and taught before
Re: What Can You Make Of This Scripture? by anukulapo: 5:41pm On Jan 19, 2015
Ezedon:
Read with the inspiration of holy spirit to understand
Share what the holy spirit inspired you with.
Re: What Can You Make Of This Scripture? by wordcat(m): 7:00pm On Jan 19, 2015
He was referring to those books that Satan and Jesus his younger brother were quoting while tempting each other.

1 Like

Re: What Can You Make Of This Scripture? by twosquare(m): 9:22pm On Jan 19, 2015
anukulapo:
1 Timothy 4:13

King James Bible
Till I come, give attendance to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine.

New International Version
Until I come, devote yourself to the public reading of Scripture, to preaching and to teaching.

I have come across questions that have relationships with some of the points in the verse above.
Paul, writing to his protege encouraged him to continue the ministry work AND particularly encouraging him to continue
* Reading (the scripture)
* Preaching (exhortation)
* Teaching (doctrine)

One of the questions I came across on the forum is about what the "scripture" is (holding that Paul is definitely not referring to his epistle(s) and other epistles).

To put it forth, my question...
1) Which scripture was he referring to? OR what was he referring to generally to be read (if it was not the scripture)
2) What doctrines was he talking about?

All teachers are welcome.

Thanks.
the scriptures most often read are the writings of the Prophets, Psalms and that of the Patriarchs.

The doctrine is that which was given by the Apostles and some were added through the help of the spirit of revelation.
Re: What Can You Make Of This Scripture? by anukulapo: 8:04am On Jan 20, 2015
twosquare:
the scriptures most often read are the writings of the Prophets, Psalms and that of the Patriarchs.

The doctrine is that which was given by the Apostles and some were added through the help of the spirit of revelation.
So they possibly read the law of moses?
Re: What Can You Make Of This Scripture? by twosquare(m): 8:15am On Jan 20, 2015
anukulapo:

So they possibly read the law of moses?
no....law of Moses are contained in the torah, the levite's book, the book of Jubilees etc....the writings of the prophets are not law of Moses nor the psalms, u have to understand that....that they are grouped under the Old testament in the bible, you shouldn't be programmed in your mind that okay anything in the Old testament is the Law of Moses...no...
Re: What Can You Make Of This Scripture? by anukulapo: 8:30am On Jan 20, 2015
twosquare:
no....law of Moses are contained in the torah, the levite's book, the book of Jubilees etc....the writings of the prophets are not law of Moses nor the psalms, u have to understand that....that they are grouped under the Old testament in the bible, you shouldn't be programmed in your mind that okay anything in the Old testament is the Law of Moses...no...
LOLZ...I didn't think so. My question is independent of a general OT is law of moses mindset.
I just asked if they "possibly" read the law of moses.
Thanks,you've been great so far.
Re: What Can You Make Of This Scripture? by twosquare(m): 8:41am On Jan 20, 2015
anukulapo:

LOLZ...I didn't think so. My question is independent of a general OT is law of moses mindset.
I just asked if they "possibly" read the law of moses.
Thanks,you've been great so far.
no. The law are conducts of how israel should behave and go about their spiritual journey...if they do, then circumcision will be enforced among the gentiles, unless they want to draw out something from there in contrast to the grace now given by the Lord Jesus.

Psalms and the writings of the prophets are revelational, so they read that most often.
Re: What Can You Make Of This Scripture? by columbushenry(m): 10:14am On Jan 22, 2015
twosquare:
no. The law are conducts of how israel should behave and go about their spiritual journey...if they do, then circumcision will be enforced among the gentiles, unless they want to draw out something from there in contrast to the grace now given by the Lord Jesus.

Psalms and the writings of the prophets are revelational, so they read that most often.

circumcision came before the Mosaic Law. Note that
Re: What Can You Make Of This Scripture? by twosquare(m): 2:25pm On Jan 22, 2015
columbushenry:

circumcision came before the Mosaic Law. Note that
I know but it is part of the law and very inherent in the mosaic principles , which Paul said is not compulsory for the gentiles. They(jews) saw it as a law also given by Yahweh and anyone who wants to partake of the commonwealth of israel should do. So, it isn't abt the doctrines of the past but the revelation of the Spirit.
Re: What Can You Make Of This Scripture? by twosquare(m): 9:10am On Jan 23, 2015

(1) (Reply)

A Guide To Breaking Bad Habits By Lildreezy / . / If Jesus Came To Your House

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.