Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,653 members, 7,801,903 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:54 AM

Help! Serpentine Belt Issues - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Help! Serpentine Belt Issues (6603 Views)

Timing Belt Issues / Please, What Is The Size Of Serpentine Belt Of Pontiac Vibe 2004 / Keke Operator Installs Seat Belt In His Tricycle (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help! Serpentine Belt Issues by pato405(m): 2:19am On Jan 20, 2015
pls help oooo! the pulley system of my 05 Ford escape is shredding serpentine belts indiscriminately. I changed more than 4 belts yesterday...all shredded and tangled within the pulley system in less than 1km distance after each instance. scared to put a 5th one becos its gulping my scarce funds.

mechanics are confused on this case

what could be responsible pls?
Re: Help! Serpentine Belt Issues by pato405(m): 2:50am On Jan 20, 2015
the specification is BOSCH V-ribbed drive belt 6PK2145. pls anyone who can supply the original? sick of buying these catapult rubber belts all-over streets of Lagos

1 Like

Re: Help! Serpentine Belt Issues by IdaraCHODB(m): 4:31am On Jan 20, 2015
pato405:
the specification is BOSCH V-ribbed drive belt 6PK2145. pls anyone who can supply the original? sick of buying these catapult rubber belts all-over streets of Lagos

Will order it and you will get it next week or maximum 10 days from today. Ill alert you when it arrives

What is the mileage?

Are you sure you may not need to replace the tensioner and pulley?
Re: Help! Serpentine Belt Issues by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:13am On Jan 20, 2015
pato405:
pls help oooo! the pulley system of my 05 Ford escape is shredding serpentine belts indiscriminately. I changed more than 4 belts yesterday...all shredded and tangled within the pulley system in less than 1km distance after each instance. scared to put a 5th one becos its gulping my scarce funds.

mechanics are confused on this case

what could be responsible pls?

Even fake belts wil last for weeks, even months.

Problem should be with your tensioner or there's a stiff component. Remove belt and check all rolling parts.

2 Likes

Re: Help! Serpentine Belt Issues by sultaan(m): 5:40am On Jan 20, 2015
If you have the right belt the problem is simple..

You tensioner is bad?weak

Your tensioner is bouncing and letting the ribs of the belt skipthe sping in them get weak over time and some people just change them everytime they change belts 100k miles

1 Like

Re: Help! Serpentine Belt Issues by Nobody: 7:41am On Jan 20, 2015
Fake belts, improperly tensioned belts, worn out misaligned pulleys can cause the symptoms OP experiences.
Re: Help! Serpentine Belt Issues by pato405(m): 8:10am On Jan 20, 2015
IdaraCHODB:

Will order it and you will get it next week or maximum 10 days from today. Ill alert you when it arrives

What is the mileage?

Are you sure you may not need to replace the tensioner and pulley?

k..thanks
Re: Help! Serpentine Belt Issues by pato405(m): 8:19am On Jan 20, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

Even fake belts wil last for weeks, even months.

Problem should be with your tensioner or there's a stiff component. Remove belt and check all rolling parts.

I guess you might be right. one of the rolling components is a little stiff. I recall the last mechanic referred to it as 'pulley adjuster' or adapter ....can't exactly remember what he called it. it was rolling but a little wobbly and bouncing as it rolled. will try to upload pix.
Re: Help! Serpentine Belt Issues by chillex8(m): 9:04am On Jan 20, 2015
pato405:

Oh my lawd !!!! cheesy

Nothing is wrong with your belt.

One pulley is stiff. That's all.

Find out which is?
Compressor? Alternator? Power steering?
Re: Help! Serpentine Belt Issues by pato405(m): 9:50am On Jan 20, 2015
chillex8:

Oh my lawd !!!! cheesy

Nothing is wrong with your belt.

One pulley is stiff. That's all.

Find out which is?
Compressor? Alternator? Power steering?

yes. just confirmed it now....its the middle one. I don't know what they call it. its sort of an appendix to the engine. it has the smallest circumference of all ...I know its not alternator . the surface is smooth unlike the others that are clearly having 5-6 groves. pls see pix below. the mechanic now claims he needs more money to go to ojuelegba to purchase a replacement. something tells me its all fables...he will most likely return with another fake.
Re: Help! Serpentine Belt Issues by pato405(m): 9:59am On Jan 20, 2015
couldn't take pix..but on wiki I can identify the culprit

Re: Help! Serpentine Belt Issues by pato405(m): 10:20am On Jan 20, 2015
sad
Re: Help! Serpentine Belt Issues by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:30pm On Jan 20, 2015
pato405:

I guess you might be right. one of the rolling components is a little stiff. I recall the last mechanic referred to it as 'pulley adjuster' or adapter ....can't exactly remember what he called it. it was rolling but a little wobbly and bouncing as it rolled. will try to upload pix.

Belt tensioner "7".

Another dumb thing that could cause it is when they install the belt in the wrong direction. angry
Re: Help! Serpentine Belt Issues by pato405(m): 1:57pm On Jan 20, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

Belt tensioner "7".

Another dumb thing that could cause it is when they install the belt in the wrong direction. angry

Kai..bros..this your diagram is wicked, I had to print it in my office just to have a copy. grin

Its the '7' rightly pointed out, the mech is asking for 9k. I just hope a reliable one will be bought, else its back to square one. sad
Re: Help! Serpentine Belt Issues by sultaan(m): 2:05pm On Jan 20, 2015
You are still looking for cheap fixes bearing in the pulley might be bad but you still need a new tensioner.order one and a new belt you'll be good for 60k miles
Re: Help! Serpentine Belt Issues by pato405(m): 7:05am On Jan 29, 2015
I've changed tensioner but the problem still persists
this car has been very loyal. I've never had any major fixes nor disappointments so I must get it right to be back on the road with confidence.
Re: Help! Serpentine Belt Issues by sultaan(m): 4:57am On Jan 30, 2015
post a picture of the part you removed.Did you replace with the right one and was it new?
Re: Help! Serpentine Belt Issues by Piyke: 10:58pm On Jan 31, 2015
pato405:
I've changed tensioner but the problem still persists
this car has been very loyal. I've never had any major fixes nor disappointments so I must get it right to be back on the road with confidence.

My bro was having this same problem on his 03 Camry until he got OEM serpentine belt. Once installed no more
Re: Help! Serpentine Belt Issues by sultaan(m): 11:46pm On Jan 31, 2015
Someone here is asking if anyone need a low weight item from the US and here is an opportunity to have good parts
Re: Help! Serpentine Belt Issues by pato405(m): 7:40am On Feb 03, 2015
Piyke:

My bro was having this same problem on his 03 Camry until he got OEM serpentine belt. Once installed no more

I've fixed the fault. the new tensioner I bought wasn't any better than the faulty one in the car. I had to change it and that really worked.
Re: Help! Serpentine Belt Issues by IdaraCHODB(m): 9:32am On Feb 03, 2015
pato405:

I've fixed the fault. the new tensioner I bought wasn't any better than the faulty one in the car. I had to change it and that really worked.

I think it is best practice to replace all 3 with new at the same time ( belt, tensioner and pulley) if you want everything to work to factory specifications and if you travel a lot and do not wish to be stranded
Re: Help! Serpentine Belt Issues by Piyke: 4:28pm On Feb 03, 2015
pato405:

Are you saying the tensioner was the culprit?
Re: Help! Serpentine Belt Issues by pato405(m): 8:40pm On Feb 03, 2015
Piyke:

Are you saying the tensioner was the culprit?

Absolutely!

happy to be back on the road smiley

1 Like

Re: Help! Serpentine Belt Issues by pato405(m): 6:18pm On Feb 04, 2015
here pix too large to attach

Re: Help! Serpentine Belt Issues by pato405(m): 4:51pm On Mar 26, 2015
belt shredding has re-surged again. Two belts shredded in 2 days

Re: Help! Serpentine Belt Issues by pato405(m): 4:52pm On Mar 26, 2015
the shredding seem to all be in similar pattern...as you can see from the pix, the last line of the belt is finely shredded, then tangles within the pulley system. sad
Re: Help! Serpentine Belt Issues by pato405(m): 4:57pm On Mar 26, 2015
previously shredded belts

Re: Help! Serpentine Belt Issues by Nobody: 5:12pm On Mar 26, 2015
pato405:
previously shredded belts

Bros, we are fed up with this serpentine belt shredding, and I have come humbly to whisper to you to buy OEM belt, pulleys and tensioners. However, during installation follow the recommended tension force and torque of the pulleys, tensioner and belt.
Re: Help! Serpentine Belt Issues by pato405(m): 5:23pm On Mar 26, 2015
lomomike:

Bros, we are fed up with this serpentine belt shredding, and I have come humbly to whisper to you to buy OEM belt, pulleys and tensioners. However, during installation follow the recommended tension force and torque of the pulleys, tensioner and belt.

undecided

One of those belts was specially ordered from US by a friend I complained so bitterly to. The specification: 6PK2150 BOSCH, yet it was eventually shreded as others. Pls spare me marketing gimmicks here. There seems a technical fault in an unknown pulley which if not fixed, will shred any belt installed. Ive changed tensioner. This is a serious case for smart auto Engineers, not marketers.
Re: Help! Serpentine Belt Issues by sultaan(m): 7:38pm On Mar 26, 2015
You changed to a new or used pulley for the same car or just one that looked like it will fit
Re: Help! Serpentine Belt Issues by Nobody: 8:43pm On Mar 26, 2015
pato405:

undecided

One of those belts was specially ordered from US by a friend I complained so bitterly to. The specification: 6PK2150 BOSCH, yet it was eventually shreded as others. Pls spare me marketing gimmicks here. There seems a technical fault in an unknown pulley which if not fixed, will shred any belt installed. Ive changed tensioner. This is a serious case for smart auto Engineers, not marketers.

Look at my comment very well, read inbetween the lines and think deep. Therein lies the solution to your belt shredding ish. As for the bent facial expression, "...spare me the marketing gimmicks here" phrase, I am indeed sorry to intrude into your case. From now on,
I'll stick to my lexus and toyota threads only; afterall na only me waka come.
Re: Help! Serpentine Belt Issues by nurey(m): 9:38pm On Mar 26, 2015
lomomike:

Look at my comment very well, read inbetween the lines and think deep. Therein lies the solution to your belt shredding ish. As for the bent facial expression, "...spare me the marketing gimmicks here" phrase, I am indeed sorry to intrude into your case. From now on,
I'll stick to my lexus and toyota threads only; afterall na only me waka come.

Please oga mike, let's don't abandon the op, he is very angry reason for miss quoting and misinterpreting your good intentions.

Op, nobody is marketing anything to you but they are of the opinion that certain parts only need OEM not tokunbo parts before you can have peace of mind.

Someone suggested you change the whole system and do a total overhauling, there are good engineers here giving advice free of charge please don't take them for granted, cool down, rephrase you steps, follow the advice given and am sure your ride will be back on the road.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Rx330 Urgent Reviews Needed / Price Of New Model Cars On Nairaland? / Kia Cerato 2013 Vs Hyundai Elantra 2013

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.