Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,698 members, 7,805,869 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:37 AM

Linux Battery Monitor - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Linux Battery Monitor (3302 Views)

Good News For News Lover World News Monitor / Power Monitor Lite - PC App / How Can I Program My Phone To Monitor Power Failure (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Linux Battery Monitor by javarules(m): 9:51am On Dec 22, 2008
Its funny how sometimes you “stumble” on some things. I have been thinking to myself “wont you dosomething cool to wrap up the year with?” I have quite a number of ideas but I dont seem to be able to summon up strength to start any.

But of recent, I have to re-organise my box, so I decided to just format it(I havent done that in a while). So I copied my home directory and blam! formated the box. I wanted to install a lightweight OS, so I chose a version of Ubuntu that is lightweight, comes with xfce and all that. The only problem is, it doesnt have a graphical battery monitor! After searching online for an xfce battery monitor with no success, I decided to write a shell script that prints to one of my consoles. I did that in no time, and whenever I want to check my battery status, I switch to the terminal. If I dont want to switch, I just run the shell script from the terminal. Works well for a geek, but for a user, it sucks. So I decided to give it a UI.

I have not done java for a while(I have been engrossed in scala and erlang) so I decided to do a little java(plus I just need an excuse to start Netbeans again after a long spell of VIM). So I built the UI, far far less complicated than I thought and yea, it works.

Keep your fingers crossed, you will get the source and rpm first thing 2009.

Merry XMAS and Happy New Year….see you on the other side of 8

1 Like

Re: Linux Battery Monitor by lordbenax(m): 5:18pm On Dec 22, 2008
You are so amazing! U mean you did all that? wink I give you a thumbs up
Re: Linux Battery Monitor by javarules(m): 7:35pm On Dec 22, 2008
well it all sounds geeky, but its quite simple, tx anyway

if you are using linux checkout this file
/etc/acpi/battery/BAT0/state, all you need is to be able to parse this file correctly and you gat what you want

curious, wait till i post the source code

ciao
Re: Linux Battery Monitor by javaprince(m): 7:11am On Dec 27, 2008
Nice one Segun.

I know say you dey always represent.

Java Nigerian Developers JAND - www.naijadukes.net
Re: Linux Battery Monitor by javarules(m): 10:04am On Jan 08, 2009
well its finally finished. Full source code on gitorious

http://gitorious.org/projects/batterymonitor

ciao
Re: Linux Battery Monitor by Seun(m): 9:36pm On Nov 01, 2009
How is your Scala?
Re: Linux Battery Monitor by javarules(m): 8:34am On Nov 02, 2009
my scala is OK, I mean I still can pull wonders if there's enough motivation!!

(1) (Reply)

New And Hot: Lithium Battery Level Indicator With Arduino And LCD / Programming Competition In Nigeria / Any Visual Basic (VB) Guru In The House?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.