Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,376 members, 7,781,053 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 08:07 AM

General Buhari's Plan To Secure Nigeria - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / General Buhari's Plan To Secure Nigeria (26879 Views)

Presidency Reacts To Senate’s Rejection Of Buhari’s Plan To Borrow $30bn / See Buhari's Plan For Electricity In Nigeria / Jonathan Lacks Capacity To Secure Nigeria, Fight Corruption - Festus Keyamo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Buhari's Plan To Secure Nigeria by PassingShot(m): 2:08pm On Jan 21, 2015
nwanna89:
I am sure the current administration is doing all these. The real problem with this Boko Haram issue is internal sabotage. I think the govt realized this late, and has started dealing with the problem. Many soldiers and officers are being charged now. Honestly, none of the ideas in that post wowed me. From what my soldier friend who is in the Northeast told me, all those ideas are being implemented currently.

I disagree. If that was the case, how come our military didn't know about the joint military effort between Cameroon and Chad against the Boko Boys?
Re: General Buhari's Plan To Secure Nigeria by Alezy(m): 2:09pm On Jan 21, 2015
crixlight2:
Let's give GMB one chance and see what we happen den if he fuk up den we will throw him out.... jonathan don try reach... GMB for real
He had his chance b4, he achieved nothing. Let Gej complete his 2nd term n lets see if he can be compared to our past leaders.
Re: General Buhari's Plan To Secure Nigeria by PassingShot(m): 2:10pm On Jan 21, 2015
datguru:
Buhari has no plan, let's stop deceiving ourselves and allowing an illiterate deceive us .
His only plan is to call his boys ( boko haram) to order once he assumes office which will never come to pass. should buhari loose, the worst should be expected from boko boys

GEJ until someone comes with a better plan

Is it not even a bigger indictment to indicate that Buhari is behind Boko Haram but our C-in-C has not been able to know?
Re: General Buhari's Plan To Secure Nigeria by Nobody: 2:10pm On Jan 21, 2015
DeCritique:

I weeeee go for the PHD graduate because he is more educated and more sound to put the nation in better state that a self acclaimed honest yet to be found certificate holder who claims to be able to end corruption while he eats from the tables of corrupt men!!
hmmm but remember ur phd holder is still bein controlled by an illiterate wife.

2 Likes

Re: General Buhari's Plan To Secure Nigeria by Nobody: 2:10pm On Jan 21, 2015
youmour:
Everything made sense until he said , " I think the government should negotiate with Boko Haram."

Nego whatttt we r wayyy pass that bruh,go n sleep

That is where he got it wrong - Terrorism is wrong no matter how you look at it.. when you negotiate with Terrorists, you invariably tell those who have lost their lives and loved ones that they do not matter.. you tel the terrorists that they can be forgiven and integrated back into society.. what safe-guards do you have in place to assure the innocents that it will never happen again.. there are many works of research on terrorism... Negotiation never works in the long run.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Buhari's Plan To Secure Nigeria by Akon419(m): 2:11pm On Jan 21, 2015
Buhari should shut his kworo mouth up. Is not the same buhari that said boko haram is fighting for injustice . Now you are telling us that you will use gun and arrow for the same people you claimed are freedom fighters.
Re: General Buhari's Plan To Secure Nigeria by PassingShot(m): 2:11pm On Jan 21, 2015
Alezy:
He had his chance b4, he achieved nothing. Let Gej complete his 2nd term n lets see if he can be compared to our past leaders.

Are you saying we should vote him just to complete another term? Chissooozzz! undecided undecided
Re: General Buhari's Plan To Secure Nigeria by PassingShot(m): 2:13pm On Jan 21, 2015
youmour:
Everything made sense until he said , " I think the government should negotiate with Boko Haram."

Negotiation is part of instruments available to fight insurgency and it is the effective tool in some of the cases. America negotiated with Taliban at some point. We negotiated with MEND even though they killed many innocent souls.
Re: General Buhari's Plan To Secure Nigeria by Alezy(m): 2:13pm On Jan 21, 2015
PassingShot:

Are you saying we should vote him just to complete another term? Chissooozzz! undecided undecided
Is that wat u can pick out after reading that statment?
Re: General Buhari's Plan To Secure Nigeria by PassingShot(m): 2:15pm On Jan 21, 2015
holatin:
They go into schools and slaughter children
both Christian and Muslim children. They go to mosques
and explode devices, they also go to the churches and
motor parks. So really, it is very easy to disabuse the
minds of Nigerians on the wrong notion that Boko Haram
is a religious enterprise. They are just simply terrorists.
Having reduced them to that, then you can earn the
support of the immediate communities for you to flush
the insurgents out of the society

I wish all nairalander can read and understand this.

buhari for president
Re: General Buhari's Plan To Secure Nigeria by PassingShot(m): 2:18pm On Jan 21, 2015
aguiyi:
preparing for a fight is different from wining the battle.

this guy ruined our economy. he does not deserve a second chance

But you don't win the battle you're not prepared for.

GMB didn't ruin our economy. If he did, he would have been confined into history as IBB.
Re: General Buhari's Plan To Secure Nigeria by Nobody: 2:18pm On Jan 21, 2015
youmour:

At some point you will have to negotiate with foot soldiers, boko haram fighter from reports should be in their thousands by now, you can't simply kill all of them. Break them apart, create factions and turn the table in your favor.
Re: General Buhari's Plan To Secure Nigeria by PassingShot(m): 2:19pm On Jan 21, 2015
DeCritique:
Too much "I think(s)" in his statement!!

A person who plans to be the President of the most popolous black nation in the world should be sure of himself and his statements and stop thinking/thoughting all the time!

We need a leader that is sure of himself and I can't seem to find it in Buhari as I'm still helping to search for his certificate. Maybe after seeing that, I can start searching for an iota of sureness in him.

But for now, #GEJ! Till 2019!! Tag your friends!!!

And you find that leader in GEJ! cry cry cry
Re: General Buhari's Plan To Secure Nigeria by Here2BustnScrew: 2:19pm On Jan 21, 2015
holatin:
They go into schools and slaughter children
both Christian and Muslim children. They go to mosques
and explode devices, they also go to the churches and
motor parks. So really, it is very easy to disabuse the
minds of Nigerians on the wrong notion that Boko Haram
is a religious enterprise. They are just simply terrorists.
Having reduced them to that, then you can earn the
support of the immediate communities for you to flush
the insurgents out of the society

I wish all nairalander can read and understand this.

buhari for president
we will vote him, if he comes out to declare he has nothing to do with book haram and that he will call them to order...
Re: General Buhari's Plan To Secure Nigeria by Nobody: 2:20pm On Jan 21, 2015
Seun:
Most people have no confidence in the current government's plan to solve the problem of terrorism in Nigeria. However, it's important to try to find out whether the opposition has a better plan. For this reason, I went through General Buhari's recent interview with Thisday, and extracted the concrete statements he made about his plans to secure Nigeria and fight terrorism as the president of Nigeria.

Here they are, in his own words:

1. "What would I do differently? It is to make the military much more effective in their operations. If we get the opportunity, we will make the military capable again ... That is what we would do differently, to make Nigerian military capable again."

2. "Having known how the Boko Haram developed, what I would have personally done differently would be to get the Presidents of Cameroun, Chad and Niger together to say, ‘look our borders are porous and that we are not able to effectively protect them and monitor movements of people in and out of our territory, but please make sure that you do not provide training facilities or allow people to be coming into the county.’ "(technically, this is a statement about the past, but I'll allow it since he can do it when he gets into power)

3. "I think what I can do is appeal to the patriotic sense of the military."

4. "I think the situation needs a leadership that will give the military the backing in terms of sourcing the weapons and ammunition to fight. And Nigeria, no matter how oil prices have fallen, will source enough funds to fight the insurgents."

5. "This is what could be done differently, use intelligence, find out the leaders that are responsible and deal with them."

6. "Well, since they are stronger than the government, I think the government should negotiate with Boko Haram."

7. "If you do not cultivate a good relationship with your neighbours, it will cost you so much in terms of security and the economy. So you have to cultivate a friendship with your neighbours and then it goes on to ECOWAS, Africa and the rest of the world. I think this is a viable policy option."

8. "First of all it is important to debunk the notion being peddled by Boko Haram that Western education is ungodly. They go into schools and slaughter children both Christian and Muslim children. They go to mosques and explode devices, they also go to the churches and motor parks. So really, it is very easy to disabuse the minds of Nigerians on the wrong notion that Boko Haram is a religious enterprise. They are just simply terrorists. Having reduced them to that, then you can earn the support of the immediate communities for you to flush the insurgents out of the society. I believe that this will not take a long time."

9. "Then you discuss with your neighbours to make sure that weapons are not crossing the borders and that there are [no] training facilities for terrorists."

10. "I think that soldiers and police barracks and their armories must be strengthened to ensure that they are properly secured."

11. "I think that the air force has to be made more effective by acquiring more new aircraft and establishing a base in Kano so that the distance to cover is shorter and returning to base is made easier."

12. "You know there were problems with the Boko Haram leadership, there were some people that claimed to be leaders of Boko Haram and the sect disowned them. So we have to identify the real leaders of Boko Haram before you can negotiate with them."

13. "I am insisting on intelligence, which means gathering information and making sure that it is correct and you deal with it. Without intelligence you waste too much resources and lives."

The full interview (with numerous criticisms of the current government and stories about things that happened many years ago):
http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/buhari-in-quest-to-secure-nigeria/196454/

What do you think?

My grade schooler could come up with something more concrete
This is so sophomoric coming from a presido candidate
Re: General Buhari's Plan To Secure Nigeria by Nobody: 2:20pm On Jan 21, 2015
PassingShot:

But you don't win the battle you're not prepared for.

GMB didn't ruin our economy. If he did, he would have been confined into history as IBB.

he refused to respect himself and retire as an elder statesman thats why all this gist is coming out.
Re: General Buhari's Plan To Secure Nigeria by Nobody: 2:22pm On Jan 21, 2015
voltron:

That is where he got it wrong - Terrorism is wrong no matter how you look at it.. when you negotiate with Terrorists, you invariably tell those who have lost their lives and loved ones that they do not matter.. you tel the terrorists that they can be forgiven and integrated back into society.. what safe-guards do you have in place to assure the innocents that it will never happen again.. there are many works of research on terrorism... Negotiation never works in the long run.

It does work in some but not all cases.

You should know that Negotiation is but one of the civilisation tools employed to deal with insurgencies. and civilisation requires us to treat our perpetrators better than they treated us, on that basis do we have most International organisations on Human Rights opposing the death penalty and life imprisonment even to the most evils of our society.

2 Likes

Re: General Buhari's Plan To Secure Nigeria by Akon419(m): 2:22pm On Jan 21, 2015
PassingShot:

Negotiation is part of instruments available to fight insurgency and it is the effective tool in some of the cases. America negotiated with Taliban at some point. We negotiated with MEND even though they killed many innocent souls.
do you talk about negotiation? How many times has the government called them for negotiation ? You forget that boko haram once said they don't need amnesty , that they should give gov amnesty instead . Boko haram is Islamic problem, untill you realize this, you will keep on blaming yourself
Re: General Buhari's Plan To Secure Nigeria by Sibrah: 2:23pm On Jan 21, 2015
Jonathan is as smart as Buhari but has decided to go after PDP and 2015 instead fixing what is thinks is wrong with his own govt as regards BH.
Re: General Buhari's Plan To Secure Nigeria by MansaMoussa: 2:23pm On Jan 21, 2015
Honestly, Buhari isn't saying things I expect! At this point in the campaign when intricacies win the day, you are still being vague and repetitive!
Most or all of his suggestions have already been undertaken by the Government! Niger, Chad and Cameroun have been officially invited to partner with us but we've seen them for the Vultures they are!
Truth here is, this Election isn't about Performance. its about a power play amongst the Major Ethnic Groups of the Country! GEJ's supposed incompetence, Boko Haram, etc are all exploitable variables!The 1st Time this happened in the History of the Country, it plunged us into a Fratricidal War that claimed Millions! The last time we saw this kinda power-play in Nigeria, MKO was Jailed and people died paving way for the most repressive Govt in the country!

GEJ has as much claim to a 2nd Tenure as Buhari's claim to the Presidency! Both have their Self-survival at stake!
One one end is a Herdsman who needs the South to survive while on the other wishes the re-negiotate his this delicate unwritten treaty spanning a Century!

Na Middle-Belt go here am

if we escape this one unscathed, I'll know Nigeria is ordained by God!
Re: General Buhari's Plan To Secure Nigeria by Nobody: 2:23pm On Jan 21, 2015
MISSCONGENIALITY:
I can't belief Nigerians still rely on promises from politicians. They lie a lot just to get their way to the office and once they get there, they forget about all their sweet talks. Don't just exchange ur vote for promises. Vote wisely.
What do we vote for if not promises and antecedence. If they fail in thier promises, just kick them out. Thats the essence of democracy in the first place.
Re: General Buhari's Plan To Secure Nigeria by Nobody: 2:25pm On Jan 21, 2015
Kutunban:
That's not a plan. GMB is a daft an average Nigerian can draft out such plan na.
Lets hear your plan.
Re: General Buhari's Plan To Secure Nigeria by 989900: 2:26pm On Jan 21, 2015
Change Boko Haram's name to 'Devils Pigs'...piss 'em off, and let their sympathizers see them for what they truly are.

With proper funding, any well trained/equipped intelligence unit can trace, find, and decapitate these imps in 4 weeks thereabout.

It's more about intelligence and equipment, than sheer brutality.
Re: General Buhari's Plan To Secure Nigeria by PassingShot(m): 2:28pm On Jan 21, 2015
Akon419:
do you talk about negotiation? How many times has the government called them for negotiation ? You forget that boko haram once said they don't need amnesty , that they should give gov amnesty instead . Boko haram is Islamic problem, untill you realize this, you will keep on blaming yourself

My reply was to the claim that negotiation should not be an option not that I am advocating for negotiation.

Hope you get it now.
Re: General Buhari's Plan To Secure Nigeria by Splashme: 2:37pm On Jan 21, 2015
[size=15pt]Buhari has not said anything new[/size]
Re: General Buhari's Plan To Secure Nigeria by Ibime(m): 2:37pm On Jan 21, 2015
If Buhari becomes President, he will be dealing with insurgency in the South as well as North.
Re: General Buhari's Plan To Secure Nigeria by FlyboyZee: 2:40pm On Jan 21, 2015
Story for the gods...
Re: General Buhari's Plan To Secure Nigeria by charitybabe: 2:40pm On Jan 21, 2015
Oga speak for your self not Nigerians pls

firstEVA:
By the time we try Buhari for the first 4 years, your questions would have been answered. Just vote buhari. Jonathan should not be allowed back into Aso rock, he represents Bad luck for Nigerians.
Re: General Buhari's Plan To Secure Nigeria by FlyboyZee: 2:40pm On Jan 21, 2015
They created a security situation.
Now it has become a campaign tool against the meek, gentle and God fearing...

Whatsoever a man soweth, same he reapeth.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

My Husband Became President Because He Never Gave Up – Aisha Buhari / Jonathan Will Divide Nigeria If He Lose Election - FFK The Hero Of the Liepod / Femi Fani-kayode Reacts To Benue Killings - Someone In APC Finally Making Sense

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.