Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,426 members, 7,800,957 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 09:18 AM

What Is The Name Of God? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is The Name Of God? (799 Views)

Seek Ye First The Kingdom Of God And His Righteousness / An Argument Against Any Reasonable Knowledge Of God. / Salutations Of God (oriki Olorun) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Name Of God? by huxley(m): 6:29pm On Dec 22, 2008
In the commandments, God warns that his name not be taken in vain. And instructively, he tells us what his name is. But do bible-believers take any notice of God's real name? The bible tells us in many instances that Gods name is JEALOUS.

So the next time you use this word, bear in mind that you may be calling your God's name in vain
Re: What Is The Name Of God? by Kuns: 10:29pm On Dec 22, 2008
Why would God choose a Name that when spelt backward spells Dog? , When he knows that there are people like the Hebrew ans Islamic scholars who read from left to right.

From left to right God spells Dog? Why would any one want a name like that?
Re: What Is The Name Of God? by donaremu(m): 4:41pm On Dec 23, 2008
Kuns:

Why would God choose a Name that when spelt backward spells Dog? , When he knows that there are people like the Hebrew ans Islamic scholars who read from left to right.

@Kin,

I wonder WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU. I sorry for you cry
Re: What Is The Name Of God? by Bastage: 5:32pm On Dec 23, 2008
In the commandments, God warns that his name not be taken in vain.

No. As I've pointed out before, the Commandment has nothing to do with blasphemy but the use of the name in magic.
It was believed back then that if you knew the name of the god and used it in a spell, you would have very powerful ju-ju. The Commandment is an admonishment not to use the god's name in a magic spell.
Re: What Is The Name Of God? by Kuns: 10:40pm On Dec 23, 2008
Ok, who named God? Who gave him that Name?

Did God name himself?
Re: What Is The Name Of God? by babsongudus: 9:51pm On Dec 24, 2008
Kuns:

Ok, who named God? Who gave him that Name?

Did God name himself?

u r such a big fool n an slowpoke. beta watch wat u say n type because the ALMIGHTY GOD who is above ur forefathers let alone u can easily strike u to death. beware!
Re: What Is The Name Of God? by Pepeye(f): 10:11pm On Dec 24, 2008
demons talking
Re: What Is The Name Of God? by Kuns: 10:21pm On Dec 24, 2008
If Christians say that in the beginning God was all alone, then God would not need a name because there was no one around to call him, so who named God?

Or did he name himself?
Re: What Is The Name Of God? by Kuns: 12:48pm On Dec 26, 2008
So if according to Christians of today or yesterday, God was all alone, then what does he need a name for?

And why did he need a name, if he was all alone?

Did he name himself?
Re: What Is The Name Of God? by KAG: 3:11pm On Dec 26, 2008
huxley:

In the commandments, God warns that his name not be taken in vain. And instructively, he tells us what his name is. But do bible-believers take any notice of God's real name? The bible tells us in many instances that Gods name is JEALOUS.

So the next time you use this word, bear in mind that you may be calling your God's name in vain

Where in the Bible was the Biblical God titled Jealous?

Kuns:

English is neither Hebrew nor Arabic, so the quip about the name being read from left to right isn't applicable.
Re: What Is The Name Of God? by olabowale(m): 3:20pm On Dec 26, 2008
@Huxley and Kuns: « on: December 22, 2008, 06:29 PM »  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In the commandments, God warns that his name not be taken in vain.  And instructively, he tells us what his name is.  But do bible-believers take any notice of God's real name?  The bible tells us in many instances that Gods name is JEALOUS.

Report to moderator    Logged  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Say hello to your grandfather - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiktaalik.

Kuns

Re: What Is The Name Of God?
« #1 on: December 22, 2008, 10:29 PM »  

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why would God choose a Name that when spelt backward spells Dog? ,  When he knows that there are people like the Hebrew ans Islamic scholars who read from left to right.

[quote][/quote]

Nice try, boys. But no Cigar (Its only an expression. I am not advocating for any one to pick up smoking). I ask Allah to make the Surgery of my Islamic Brother from Ethiopia, Nagash Muhammad Feki successful, today. His illness is cause by cigarrette.

Now men of horrible knowledge, if God is going to be written in Arabic letters, you will have Ghain with a hu mark/accent on it. And the last letter will be Dhel. Now compare that to writing dog; which its dhel will have a hu mark/accent and the the ghain is the last letter.

Oh, I get it, since you guys dont think through any thing before tendering your responses, its no wonder you think that arabic writers will literally look at a word and write it, without properly putting the letters in their proper palces. Muslims dont think like you guys, who put the horse after the cart, always.

God is called Rabb or Illah and He has a proper name that he called Himself; Allah. And dog is called Kileb. You see, they do not have similarity. Duuh.
Re: What Is The Name Of God? by Kuns: 3:31pm On Dec 26, 2008
Allah from the root word "ala" which mean Upon, the muslim mis-translated it to mean God.

The word Allah is from the Hebrew word Eloh.

Alah  = Eloh. This mean a being. Elohim is plural for Eloh. which means these beings.

Don't believe me, check it up for yourself in the bible glossary.

Or use a lexicon bible with the both the Engllish and Hebrew script.

However, The bible writers mis-translated Genesis 1: 1 the word Elohim to mean God.

Nothing can be further from the truth.
Re: What Is The Name Of God? by olabowale(m): 10:36pm On Dec 26, 2008
Ignorance at play in the mind of Kunle, who spells his name as Kuns. lol.

Allah is Alif, Lam and another Lam with "ha" sign on top and then the last letter is Ha!

Thats completely different from 'ala'! Ara bush ara e.
Re: What Is The Name Of God? by Kuns: 11:33am On Dec 27, 2008
The Root of this word Allah is from ala.

Alah is (=) to Eloh.

Allahuma = hum means those.

Who is Allahat? we never hear of the feminie counterpart of Allah.

La Ilaaha Illa Allah Muhammadan Rasuwl Allah.

There is no God but Allah, and Muhammad is the messenger of Allah.
Muslims call this kalimat tayyiba, “the best word.”

This is not found written like this, anywhere[b] in your Koran[/b]!

However, they are found in several verses. But they are broken into two parts; they are never together as one sentence.Laa Ilaaha Illa Allah” is found alone in Koran 37:35 and 47:19, and in Koran 33:40 and 48:29 “Muhammadan Rasuwl Allah” is found alone.
Re: What Is The Name Of God? by kolaoloye(m): 1:01pm On Dec 27, 2008
@Kuns
Genesis 17:1
And when Abram was ninety years old and nine, the LORD appeared to Abram, and said unto him,
I am the Almighty God; walk before me, and be thou perfect.

Genesis 35:11
And God said unto him, I am God Almighty: be fruitful and multiply; a nation and a company of nations shall be of thee,
and kings shall come out of thy loins;

His real name is JEHOVA
Exodus 6:3
And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by the name of God Almighty,
but by my name JEHOVAH was I not known to them
Re: What Is The Name Of God? by Kuns: 1:25pm On Dec 27, 2008
so what?

What has all the quotation you've post got to do with the question who named God?

Or are you saying Abramham named God?

Or did God name himself?

Who named God?
Re: What Is The Name Of God? by kolaoloye(m): 1:46pm On Dec 27, 2008
@Kuns
[size=25pt]God named himself[/size]
Genesis 17:1
And when Abram was ninety years old and nine, the LORD appeared to Abram, and said unto him,
[size=25pt] I am the Almighty God; walk before me, and be thou perfect.[/size]

I intentionally increase the font size so that you don't disturb me again cheesy
Re: What Is The Name Of God? by Kuns: 1:58pm On Dec 27, 2008
Answer the question?

Who named God? What did you name God?

And if you God doesn't look like you, then you are not in your right mind.
Re: What Is The Name Of God? by huxley(m): 4:01pm On Dec 28, 2008
KAG:

Where in the Bible was the Biblical God titled Jealous?

English is neither Hebrew nor Arabic, so the quip about the name being read from left to right isn't applicable.

Exodus 34:14, Ex 20:5, and Dt 4:24 are just a few. This is the flavour of what they say:

Do not worship any other god, for the Lord , whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God.
Re: What Is The Name Of God? by Kuns: 5:35pm On Dec 28, 2008
@All

Yes, and if God is a Jeolous God, how can he be calling himself God?

Have you noticed that christians are also Jealous people?

Their god likes to kill people, they to love to swear, curse and kill.

No one has told us who named him (God) yet?
Re: What Is The Name Of God? by KAG: 5:42pm On Dec 28, 2008
huxley:

Exodus 34:14, Ex 20:5, and Dt 4:24 are just a few. This is the flavour of what they say:

Do not worship any other god, for the Lord , whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God.

Thanks, man. Yeah, I see what you mean.

(1) (Reply)

Trusting The Enemy / Is It True That We Should Not Eat meat On Good Fridays? / Nissan 14

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.