Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,791 members, 7,802,500 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:33 PM

Westerners And Thier Deception! - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Westerners And Thier Deception! (2207 Views)

What A Husband Told His New Wife On Thier Wedding Day Will Make You Cry / Parents Wanting Their Kids To Be More Western Than The Westerners / Marriage Of Deception (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Westerners And Thier Deception! by 5minsmadness: 7:24pm On Jan 21, 2015
So I have been salivating over these Americans and their wonderful dishes that I see on food network channel. The way they describe the food when they are eating it can give someone ulcer. They'll be eating it as if meeeen, in fact they are in heaven; and I almost want to jump into the television to have a taste. The straw that broke the camel's back was this latest one, Guy's Big Bites, if you see the way oyinbo dey chop meat and the sauce was just flowing and the meat was looking so soft and tender, falling off the bone...chai! I almost called my mom to abuse her for dumping me here when I can be enjoying roast beef in wine sauce...

And then I had an idea. Why not make the roast beef myself? I could get the recipe online and follow the instructions and soon I'll be tasting that heavenly meaty cholesterol laden roast beef just like Guy! Just the thought of achieving such a masterpiece made my mouth water and my eyes dizzy!

So I set out on my quest. I looked up the recipe for roast beef in thyme, garlic and red wine. I hunted around for the ingredients and got them all even the WORCHESTERSHIRE SAUCE! I seared the meat like they said and garnished with garlic and red wine and WORCHESTERSHIRE sauce(it took me a while to even pronounce that thing and the cost eh...anyway) and then popped the whole thing into my oven .

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Westerners And Thier Deception! by Ewuro4: 7:28pm On Jan 21, 2015
My guy, you just dried the meat out Mehn. grin

If you want a fall-of-the-bone tender roast beaf , you have to bake it in a tight covered casserole dish.
Re: Westerners And Thier Deception! by 5minsmadness: 7:32pm On Jan 21, 2015
I left it in the oven as stated...basting the meat in the juices that flowed out of it occasionally. The smell was heavenly. My neighbor had to come and ask if I was preparing for party. I laughed and said nothing. I waited until the stipulated time and finally the meat was done. I put it on my plate and cut the roast beef open and if you sees the steam and smell that came out of it eh! Wow! I called P, my girlfriend and she applauded me for a job well done! I took, the first bite, cutting a bit off with my cutting knife and put the meat in my mouth. The smell was heavenly, the texture of the meat was soft and chewy. The taste...

1 Like

Re: Westerners And Thier Deception! by 5minsmadness: 8:01pm On Jan 21, 2015
...was AWFUL! A little less than boiled meat without the seasoning embarassed P laughed until he ribs ached!
I followed the instructions exactly, even bathing the meat with the worchestersomething! But the taste was horrible. Why oyinbos dey lie like this

In the end I had to cook the meat in a pot with curry and maggi and local spices and the end result was not so pretty but at least it tasted delicious!

I wont look down on our local dishes again. The roasted beef in wine etc just tasted like boiled meat with salt and no maggi. Yuck angry

4 Likes

Re: Westerners And Thier Deception! by 5minsmadness: 8:10pm On Jan 21, 2015
Ewuro4:
My guy, you just dried the meat out Mehn. grin

If you want a fall-of-the-bone tender roast beaf , you have to bake it in a tight covered casserole dish.
What you are looking at is the raw beef seared in cooking fat 'to keep the juices in' angry
Re: Westerners And Thier Deception! by Mutuwa(m): 8:13pm On Jan 21, 2015
want to live long and stay caner free?
eat and drink natural plz.

1 Like

Re: Westerners And Thier Deception! by 5minsmadness: 8:25pm On Jan 21, 2015
Mutuwa:
want to live long and stay caner free?
eat and drink natural plz.
So I should be eating raw meat

1 Like

Re: Westerners And Thier Deception! by Mutuwa(m): 8:27pm On Jan 21, 2015
5minsmadness:

So I should be eating raw meat

eat raw meat na u go answer.. grin
Re: Westerners And Thier Deception! by cococandy(f): 8:38pm On Jan 21, 2015
Their taste buds are different so it tastes good to them. All those things are acquired tastes.
If you grew up with them, it may taste good to you too.

2 Likes

Re: Westerners And Thier Deception! by 5minsmadness: 8:38pm On Jan 21, 2015
Mutuwa:

eat raw meat na u go answer.. grin
No be you say make I chop 'natural'? embarassed
Re: Westerners And Thier Deception! by baby124: 8:40pm On Jan 21, 2015
I can teach you how to make a fantastic steak. But you will have to pay me. In fact, it will be so red inside, but tasty and juicy
Re: Westerners And Thier Deception! by Mutuwa(m): 8:51pm On Jan 21, 2015
5minsmadness:

No be you say make I chop 'natural'? embarassed

Natural: well slaughtered and prepared for either boiling or roasting and not RAW.
Natural: not GMO
Re: Westerners And Thier Deception! by 5minsmadness: 8:52pm On Jan 21, 2015
baby124:
I can teach you how to make a fantastic steak. But you will have to pay me. In fact, it will be so red inside, but tasty and juicy
How much we talkin'?
Re: Westerners And Thier Deception! by veave(f): 9:58pm On Jan 21, 2015
I feel your pain bro.
Still have an issue with this indomie and noodle adverts...
They cook theirs and you see vegetables, chicken and even elephant meat. I cook mine and its just white and empty... lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Westerners And Thier Deception! by Ewuro4: 10:08pm On Jan 21, 2015
5minsmadness:

What you are looking at is the raw beef seared in cooking fat 'to keep the juices in' angry

Okay grin
Re: Westerners And Thier Deception! by baby124: 10:51pm On Jan 21, 2015
5minsmadness:

How much we talkin'?
Haha, 10k USD
Re: Westerners And Thier Deception! by baby124: 11:07pm On Jan 21, 2015
grin

Re: Westerners And Thier Deception! by veave(f): 12:42am On Jan 22, 2015
baby124:
grin

very wicked... lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

now I'm watching my height you came to post this...
Re: Westerners And Thier Deception! by Nobody: 2:39pm On Jan 22, 2015
5minsmadness:
[b]So I have been salivating over these Americans and their wonderful dishes that I see on food network channel. The way they describe the food when they are eating it can give someone ulcer. They'll be eating it as if meeeen, in fact they are in heaven; and I almost want to jump into the television to have a taste. The straw that broke the camel's back was this latest one, [b]Guy's Big Bites, if you see the way oyinbo dey chop meat and the sauce was just flowing and the meat was looking so soft and tender, falling off the bone...[/b][/b]chai! I almost called my mom to abuse her for dumping me here when I can be enjoying roast beef in wine sauce...

And then I had an idea. Why not make the roast beef myself? I could get the recipe online and follow the instructions and soon I'll be tasting that heavenly meaty cholesterol laden roast beef just like Guy! Just the thought of achieving such a masterpiece made my mouth water and my eyes dizzy!

So I set out on my quest. I looked up the recipe for roast beef in thyme, garlic and red wine. I hunted around for the ingredients and got them all even the WORCHESTERSHIRE SAUCE! I seared the meat like they said and garnished with garlic and red wine and WORCHESTERSHIRE sauce(it took me a while to even pronounce that thing and the cost eh...anyway) and then popped the whole thing into my oven .
cheesy cheesy, so true
Re: Westerners And Thier Deception! by 5minsmadness: 3:06pm On Jan 22, 2015
baby124:

Haha, 10k USD
shocked
That's close to N2million fa!
Make I kukuma use the money go obodoyibo and buy it from oyibo themselves cry
Re: Westerners And Thier Deception! by Nobody: 3:16pm On Jan 22, 2015
TRuth , you bought a very bad meat.

Mostly use young cow because their meat is soft. Not those akata Nigeria cows that have stayed 12yrs eating grass.

Next, sauce with red wine is usually bitter in taste
Now it might not appeal to you just like it won't appeal to someone eating utazi leaf when naturally your taste buds isn't programmed for such.

It might take you more than once to see why it's really lovely to them.

Keep trying , don't give up
Re: Westerners And Thier Deception! by dahmie2013: 3:17pm On Jan 22, 2015
Nice one OP! U really got me salivating also.

1 Like

Re: Westerners And Thier Deception! by Nobody: 4:05pm On Jan 22, 2015
You for call me make i help u now.....ehya pele.
Re: Westerners And Thier Deception! by LordReed(m): 4:10pm On Jan 22, 2015
I have experimented with a few hyped foods like tacos, nachos and cinnamon apple pie, they tasted like cardboard to me (the Apple pie was sweet cardboard lol). I realise that they spice their dishes quite differently from the way we do. Indian food is more like ours in terms of spicing. I'd choose Indian cuisine over American.
Re: Westerners And Thier Deception! by Nobody: 4:19pm On Jan 22, 2015
Bwahahahahahaha

The food is just similar to the image you see on TV - make believe. Hence folks who have never had the experience need to stop citing things, I know nothing about. A lot of food look nice, but taste like shiit. Then again, it's about the taste you're used to and who's making it.

But ya experience is hysterical though. grin
Re: Westerners And Thier Deception! by cococandy(f): 4:26pm On Jan 22, 2015
LordReed:
Indian food is more like ours in terms of spicing. I'd choose Indian cuisine over American.
Ha I thought I was the only one.
Do you know karma?
Their food is so good we drive close to a 100miles to 'n' fro every other weekend to get a taste.
Re: Westerners And Thier Deception! by 5minsmadness: 4:50pm On Jan 22, 2015
LordReed:
I have experimented with a few hyped foods like tacos, nachos and cinnamon apple pie, they tasted like cardboard to me (the Apple pie was sweet cardboard lol). I realise that they spice their dishes quite differently from the way we do. Indian food is more like ours in terms of spicing. I'd choose Indian cuisine over American.
Well, I have tried and enjoyed the cinnamon apple pie. Sweet and very filling. The others I haven't tried but av lost hope in them already sad
Re: Westerners And Thier Deception! by Nobody: 6:01pm On Jan 22, 2015
Your experience is hilarious grin grin
Re: Westerners And Thier Deception! by Nobody: 6:02pm On Jan 22, 2015
Haahahaha, poor you!!!! There is a 'oyinbo' thing about meat where 'westerners' don't like to overpower the natural flavour of foods. They want to taste the meat as uninhibited as possible. You have to alter the recipe if you are used to stronger seasonings, make that a rule!

If you didn't mind the texture of the meat, try cooking it again but season it the night before and perhaps sprinkle a little more salt/whatever seasoning you prefer. Ditch the worcetershire sauce; liquid maggie sauce/soy sauce is much better but they are saltier so don't overdo it! Also, as somebody mentioned, the choice of meat is important. A cut of meat that's closer to the bone has a lot more flavour and doesn't dry out as quickly. Also, fat = flavour. Cover your meat if you prefer it to keep its juices, and cook on a lower heat with a final blast of high heat (10mins) to brown it.

Gambatte!
Re: Westerners And Thier Deception! by Lepetitechic(f): 6:31pm On Jan 22, 2015
veave:
I feel your pain bro.
Still have an issue with this indomie and noodle adverts...
They cook theirs and you see vegetables, chicken and even elephant meat. I cook mine and its just white and empty... lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Seconded! :/
Re: Westerners And Thier Deception! by 5minsmadness: 6:36pm On Jan 22, 2015
Flytefalls:
Haahahaha, poor you!!!! There is a 'oyinbo' thing about meat where 'westerners' don't like to overpower the natural flavour of foods. They want to taste the meat as uninhibited as possible. You have to alter the recipe if you are used to stronger seasonings, make that a rule!

If you didn't mind the texture of the meat, try cooking it again but season it the night before and perhaps sprinkle a little more salt/whatever seasoning you prefer. Ditch the worcetershire sauce; liquid maggie sauce/soy sauce is much better but they are saltier so don't overdo it! Also, as somebody mentioned, the choice of meat is important. A cut of meat that's closer to the bone has a lot more flavour and doesn't dry out as quickly. Also, fat = flavour. Cover your meat if you prefer it to keep its juices, and cook on a lower heat with a final blast of high heat (10mins) to brown it.

Gambatte!
Hmmmmn.
I sense a chef in the house.
Re: Westerners And Thier Deception! by raumdeuter: 6:38pm On Jan 22, 2015
You wan dey chop raw meat like cannibal?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pls Save My Son / She Complained When I Turned My Back On Her In Bed. / Do Your Parents Say Thank You?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.