Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,589 members, 7,809,131 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:34 AM

Opinion Poll: Cooking In A Host's House - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Opinion Poll: Cooking In A Host's House (10444 Views)

Opinion Poll: How Do You Prefer To Clean Your Anus / Does Your Husband Complain About Your Cooking? Share Your Experience. / Opinion Poll: Better Be Divorced Than Dead (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Opinion Poll: Cooking In A Host's House by bukatyne(f): 4:22pm On Jan 22, 2015
Hi NL peeps,

I decided to create this thread in as a result of a previous thread to view various people's opinions (opinions cutting across gender, tribe and religion) grin. Check this thread for full details https://www.nairaland.com/2102329/should-allowed/7#30019304

There are two yes or no questions below:

1. If you and hubby went to one of hubby's friend house whom you have never met, will you enter their kitchen the next morning making breakfast without hubby's friend's wife giving you permission?

2. If hubby invited a friend (known to you) who brings along a lady, would you like if this lady (not known to you) wakes up the next morning and jumps into your kitchen without you permitting/inviting her to do so?

Thanks.

Please note that hubby can be replaced with boyfriend/fiancée etc. etc.
Re: Opinion Poll: Cooking In A Host's House by Nobody: 4:43pm On Jan 22, 2015
1. No
2. No
I won't stop her from cooking though, but I'll definitely bat an eyelid at her forwardness.

3 Likes

Re: Opinion Poll: Cooking In A Host's House by taryour(f): 4:43pm On Jan 22, 2015
No 1. CAPITAL NO. I will never do such. All I will do is to assist her in the kitchen and with other house chores. I should appreciate and respect her her territory.

No 2, NO I wunt like it one bit, but I will condone and persuade her to let me continue, worse is if my hubby is at home at that moment I wunt feel comfortable with it at all.

1 Like

Re: Opinion Poll: Cooking In A Host's House by cococandy(f): 4:52pm On Jan 22, 2015
I won't cook in her house if I'm not sure how she will react to it as we obviously saw that it means a lot to some folks just by viewing that thread. Better to err on the side of caution.

And No I won't mind if the lady cooks in mine whether I knew her before or not. If I agreed to let her stay when she first came,she's welcome to fix a meal for herself and her man.
Re: Opinion Poll: Cooking In A Host's House by Nobody: 5:04pm On Jan 22, 2015
Lol. When are you lot ever going to get bored of baseless arguments in this section? You dragged an inconsequential topic, that should be based on the individual for over 10 pages, saying a lot without actually saying anything. But hey, that isn't enough - you had to created another topic to continue the sequel. grin

You lot need to understand the there are free-spirited folks in this world, just as there are folks who're reserved. And if you can invite someone to spend the night in ya house - you shouldn't restrained them from using ya kitchen. The kitchen is a public place, just as ya living room, and toilet/bathroom are. As long as they're not in ya bedroom or tampering with personal (private) stuffs - I don't see anything wrong there.

Personally, cos I keep myself to myself, and I'm always restrained when I'm not in my comfort zone - I don't think I'll do it. However, I don't have a problem with folks who're free in a public place. If you don't want folks to get into ya kitchen - don't invite them to ya house. And stop trying to trifle a trifle.

Answer:

1). Ridiculous question, no permission is required.

2). No permission is required since you invited them to ya house.

#UnFollowsThread

17 Likes

Re: Opinion Poll: Cooking In A Host's House by bukatyne(f): 5:07pm On Jan 22, 2015
SirShymex:
Lol. When are you lot ever going to get bored of baseless arguments in this section? You dragged an inconsequential topic, that should be based on the individual for over 10 pages, saying a lot without actually saying anything. But hey, that isn't enough - you had to created another topic to continue the sequel. grin

You lot need to understand the there are free-spirited folks in this world, just as there are folks who're reserved. And if you can invite someone to spend the night in ya house - you shouldn't restrained them from using ya kitchen. The kitchen is a public place, just as ya living room, and toilet/bathroom are. As long as they're not in ya bedroom or tampering with personal (private) stuffs - I don't see anything wrong there.

Personally, cos I keep myself to myself, and I'm always restrained when I'm not in my comfort zone - I don't think I'll do it. However, I don't have a problem with folks who're free in a public place. If you don't want folks to get into ya kitchen - don't invite them to ya house. And stop trying to trifle a trifle.

Answer:

#UnFollowsThread

First, It is NOT compulsory to comment on a thread

Second, if you do not understand the thread, read the OP I quoted

Next.

12 Likes

Re: Opinion Poll: Cooking In A Host's House by bukatyne(f): 5:08pm On Jan 22, 2015
ileobatojo:
1. No
2. No
I won't stop her from cooking though, but I'll definitely bat an eyelid at her forwardness.

Thanks
Re: Opinion Poll: Cooking In A Host's House by bukatyne(f): 5:09pm On Jan 22, 2015
cococandy:
I won't cook in her house if I'm not sure how she will react to it as we obviously saw that it means a lot to some folks just by viewing that thread. Better to err on the side of caution.

And No I won't mind if the lady cooks in mine whether I knew her before or not. If I agreed to let her stay when she first came,she's welcome to fix a meal for herself and her man.

taryour:
No 1. CAPITAL NO. I will never do such. All I will do is to assist her in the kitchen and with other house chores. I should appreciate and respect her her territory.

No 2, NO I wunt like it one bit, but I will condone and persuade her to let me continue, worse is if my hubby is at home at that moment I wunt feel comfortable with it at all.

Thanks
Re: Opinion Poll: Cooking In A Host's House by Nobody: 5:10pm On Jan 22, 2015
No to both.
Re: Opinion Poll: Cooking In A Host's House by Nobody: 5:11pm On Jan 22, 2015
SirShymex:

Answer:

#UnFollowsThread

In Africa, the kitchen is the wife's kingdom. Only with her permission can anyone other than the husband, children and very close relatives, use it. Nowadays some do not give a damn and while others still maintain that ‘right'.

That aside, need to pick your brain. What do you think are the factors that are attributable to the rise of religious extremism in Europe?

1 Like

Re: Opinion Poll: Cooking In A Host's House by Nobody: 5:18pm On Jan 22, 2015
Justfollowit:

In Africa, the kitchen is the wife's kingdom. Only with her permission can anyone other than the husband, children and very close relatives, use it. Nowadays some do not give a damn and while others still maintain that ‘right'.

That aside, need to pick your brain. What do you think are the factors that are attributable to the rise of religious extremism in Europe?

Lol. I just came back for you.

Oh, the kitchen is the wife's kingdom in Africa, but ironically the same African wife in today's world hates being associated with the kitchen - hysterical. These folks are just confused illiterates.

Anyway, open a thread for the second paragraph - that is an interesting topic.

9 Likes

Re: Opinion Poll: Cooking In A Host's House by soonest(f): 6:29pm On Jan 22, 2015
1. No
2. No
Re: Opinion Poll: Cooking In A Host's House by Nobody: 6:32pm On Jan 22, 2015
No to both. It's not right.
Re: Opinion Poll: Cooking In A Host's House by raumdeuter: 6:43pm On Jan 22, 2015
1. Yes. I would rather enter the kitchen to prepare what to eat than wake them up to prepare me food.

2. Yes . SHe can make herself comfortable, I would prefer her to make her own meals to her taste

Once I welcome a visitor, I expect them to be free. If they need permission to use the kitchen, DO they also need permission to use toiler, bathroom, parlour, watch TV, take off their clothes or what exactly? If they need permission for all these then you should turn them back as soon as they enter your house

7 Likes

Re: Opinion Poll: Cooking In A Host's House by bukatyne(f): 11:18pm On Jan 22, 2015
andromida:
No to both.

Thanks
Re: Opinion Poll: Cooking In A Host's House by bukatyne(f): 11:25pm On Jan 22, 2015
raumdeuter:
1. Yes. I would rather enter the kitchen to prepare what to eat than wake them up to prepare me food.

2. Yes . SHe can make herself comfortable, I would prefer her to make her own meals to her taste

Once I welcome a visitor, I expect them to be free. If they need permission to use the kitchen, DO they also need permission to use toiler, bathroom, parlour, watch TV, take off their clothes or what exactly? If they need permission for all these then you should turn them back as soon as they enter your house

Thanks

They are not comparable

When you visit KFC (you are like a guest; forget that you paid for your stuff). You get to sit, watch TV, use the loo, walk to the counter to read flyers/menu etc.

Despite the fact you paid for your food, you cannot reach over the counter to take it; you wait till you are served. For eatries where they have stuff on the counter within your reach, you do not Just pick up stuff despite the fact that you have paid for them.

Thanks for giving your opinion

1 Like

Re: Opinion Poll: Cooking In A Host's House by aderonila18: 11:33pm On Jan 22, 2015
Very unnecessary thread, people already stated their opinion on the initially thread with most people agreeing that we are different. I don't know what point you are trying to prove by starting this one undecided

To some of us as long as I can let you sleep in my house , you can use my kitchen. Someone sleeping over in your house requires a level of trust already ( if the person had evil intentions there are a million and one ways for them to harm you without entering your kitchen grin) While to some MAdams the kitchen is their kingdom and no one must enter except invited.

How can you be okay with someone sleeping in your house yet the kitchen is a no go undecided

As for the question,yes I may depending on the circumstances. Maybe I don't want to wake my host and I have ulcer and I need to eat something. Some women ( myself included ) will even be more offended if a grown woman wakes her up for food. Nigerian women need to chill with marking kitchen as territory .

As far as I'm concerned as long as she cleans the pots, pans and everything after making her meal I have no problem with it.

8 Likes

Re: Opinion Poll: Cooking In A Host's House by aderonila18: 11:37pm On Jan 22, 2015
SirShymex:

Lol. I just came back for you.

Oh, the kitchen is the wife's kingdom in Africa, but ironically the same African wife in today's world hates being associated with the kitchen - hysterical. These folks are just confused illiterates.

Anyway, open a thread for the second paragraph - that is an interesting topic.

Abeg don't classify all of us under that o.

2 Likes

Re: Opinion Poll: Cooking In A Host's House by bukatyne(f): 11:42pm On Jan 22, 2015
aderonila18:
Very unnecessary thread, people already stated their opinion on the initially thread with most people agreeing that we are different. I don't know what point you are trying to prove by starting this one undecided

To some of us as long as I can let you sleep in my house , you can use my kitchen. Someone sleeping over in your house requires a level of trust already ( if the person had evil intentions there are a million and one ways for them to harm you without entering your kitchen grin) While to some MAdams the kitchen is their kingdom and no one must enter except invited.

How can you be okay with someone sleeping in your house yet the kitchen is a no go undecided

As for the question,yes I may depending on the circumstances. Maybe I don't want to wake my host and I have ulcer and I need to eat something. Some women ( myself included ) will even be more offended if a grown woman wakes her up for food. Nigerian women need to chill with marking kitchen as territory .

As far as I'm concerned as long as she cleans the pots, pans and everything after making her meal I have no problem with it.

Dear,

If you thought the thread was unnecessary, why bother to comment?

Your post is arguably the longest here.

6 Likes

Re: Opinion Poll: Cooking In A Host's House by Nobody: 11:44pm On Jan 22, 2015
aderonila18:

Abeg don't classify all of us under that o.

Lol. But aren't you lot the queens of the kitchen, with the kitchen as ya kingdom? grin

Anyway, I'm waiting for the next delusional blockhead that'll label me a sexist/misogynist/male-chauvinist-pig when next I tell any female poster on the forum to go to the kitchen where she belongs. grin undecided

@Justfollowit

I'm about to post on ya thread - just got home now. tongue
Re: Opinion Poll: Cooking In A Host's House by aderonila18: 11:48pm On Jan 22, 2015
SirShymex:

Lol. But aren't you lot the queens of the kitchen, with the kitchen as ya kingdom? grin

Anyway, I'm waiting for the next delusional blockhead that'll label me a sexist/misogynist/male-chauvinist-pig when next I tell any female poster on the forum to go to the kitchen where she belongs. grin undecided

@Justfollowit

I'm about to post on ya thread - just got home now. tongue

Never o, queen of kitchen ko. I'm more interested in being an MD at work than fighting for kitchen chairwoman undecided the kitchen is just a place to prepare food, I don't know why people attach so much importance to it cool

3 Likes

Re: Opinion Poll: Cooking In A Host's House by Nobody: 12:01am On Jan 23, 2015
aderonila18:

Never o, queen of kitchen ko. I'm more interested in being an MD at work than fighting for kitchen chairwoman undecided the kitchen is just a place to prepare food, I don't know why people attach so much importance to it cool

Lol. Freaking darn kitchen! The same kitchen folks will tell you to feel free and get whatever you want from it. Heck, all modern houses have open-plan kitchens that's connected to the living room (I live in one). It must be poverty.

With this madness, you'll most likely need permission to use the toilet, or watch TV in their homes. That's just primordial and clannish. And these are the same folks talking about "modern African women" and being feminists - LML! I can't deal - PC-feminazis. grin

I'm out!

3 Likes

Re: Opinion Poll: Cooking In A Host's House by oge4real(f): 1:32am On Jan 23, 2015
1. No; I may help unpack the dishwasher and make myself toast and a cup of coffee. Depends on her attitude when I offered to assist in cleaning up after dinner the previous night. That is usually when you can assess how protective a woman is towards her home/kitchen.

2. No; I will not mind if she makes some coffee and toast for her and her hubby or even if she accesses the fridge for fruits/ snacks. I will definitely be shocked if she brings out pots and pans to begin making a proper meal for the whole house. However, I'll not verbalise my concern coz she must be worth it for us to accomodate them overnight in our home instead of a hotel.

2 Likes

Re: Opinion Poll: Cooking In A Host's House by Nobody: 3:22am On Jan 23, 2015
bukatyne:
Hi NL peeps,

I decided to create this thread in as a result of a previous thread to view various people's opinions (opinions cutting across gender, tribe and religion) grin. Check this thread for full details https://www.nairaland.com/2102329/should-allowed/7#30019304

1. If you and hubby went to one of hubby's friend house whom you have never met, will you enter their kitchen the next morning making breakfast without hubby's friend's wife giving you permission?

2. If hubby invited a friend (known to you) who brings along a lady, would you like if this lady (not known to you) wakes up the next morning and jumps into your kitchen without you permitting/inviting her to do so?

Thanks.

Please note that hubby can be replaced with boyfriend/fiancée etc. etc.

1. No. Why? Etiquette. Im in someone else's home.

2. No. Offering to help is one thing, but is how is it that the supposed guest is even up before I am?

These are more questions of proper etiquette, and hospitality for moi. And I don't get how someone can be 'territorial' over a kitchen...
Re: Opinion Poll: Cooking In A Host's House by BukkyDan(f): 3:54am On Jan 23, 2015
No 1) without her mission? No way. I would love to HELP out with cleaning the dishes WHILE SHE IS IN THE KITCHEN...though it depends on how she recieved us and her reaction when I tried to help clear the plates after our first meal together.

No 2) My kitchen==>my space==>my privacy. grin
Why would she jump into my kitchen before I get in there Except if she's trying to fix a cup of coffee( that is if she is a coffee addict) Or she's trying to help clean the place up....but a real meal for everybody? NO WAY undecided
Nobody cooks for me or my husband in my own HOME.
Re: Opinion Poll: Cooking In A Host's House by pickabeau1: 7:36am On Jan 23, 2015
Kitchen Klux Klan

LOL

Good to know our women are claiming back their kingdom

So the message here is that it is easier to sleep in an African woman's home than enter her kitchen

3 Likes

Re: Opinion Poll: Cooking In A Host's House by Nobody: 7:38am On Jan 23, 2015
bukatyne:
Hi NL peeps,

I would never do it. I would only do it if I had a baby and had to feed it needing the kitchen to fix something. But even then I would knock on madam's bedroom door and wait till she answers and first ask her if she is ok with it. I don't even think that would happen because I would discuss it with her before we go to bed.

Thanks.

No, I wouldn't like it. I wouldn't feel comfortable with her doing it. I consider it my job to prepare the meals for my guests. I would try to wake up before everyone else does.

However, I would not make an issue out of it. If it happened, I would just let her and on seeing it, join her preparing the breakfast and do it together.
Re: Opinion Poll: Cooking In A Host's House by Nobody: 7:57am On Jan 23, 2015
pickabeau1:
Kitchen Klux Klan

LOL

Good to know our women are claiming back their kingdom

So the message here is that it is easier to sleep in an African woman's home that enter her kitchen

They are on their own abeg. They left a thread calling others ill mannered and came to do this one for whatever reason. Abeg limit it to these women they don't speak for anyone but themselves

2 Likes

Re: Opinion Poll: Cooking In A Host's House by CoCoLav(f): 7:57am On Jan 23, 2015
No, I cannot enter someone's kitchen to cook. I cant even pass my boundaries (that is, the room allocated to me for the night).

Second question, I cant really say until I am in that situation. I might be a bit surprised but I definitely wont scream at the person. At the end of the day I might just shrug it off as not a big deal.
Re: Opinion Poll: Cooking In A Host's House by Nobody: 8:05am On Jan 23, 2015
EnlightenedSoul:

1. No. Why? Etiquette. Im in someone else's home.

2. No. Offering to help is one thing, but is how is it that the supposed guest is even up before I am?

These are more questions of proper etiquette, and hospitality for moi. And I don't get how someone can be 'territorial' over a kitchen...

Well said!

Some people have manners, others don't. That's why some people are welcome visitors, and others avoided.

2 Likes

Re: Opinion Poll: Cooking In A Host's House by Nobody: 8:07am On Jan 23, 2015
1) NO... I can't just enter her kitchen to cook without permission considering we're just meeting for the first time hence not really close.. it's not right, gat to show some courtesy. Nothing wrong with asking "can I make breakfast for us"? Also, she may have other plans for breakfast so there's need to ask...

2) No, I expect her to do no 1. I can allow her have access to my fridge but cooking in my kitchen? No.. she has to ask me, perhaps I have plans for breakfast already so I can tell her how to go about it.. Very simple. ..

It has nothing to do with not being accommodating, it's common sense.. it isn't your house, show some respect and considering you're just meeting for the first time adds more odds... Had it been the visitor's room has a kitchen where he/she can always help him/herself, nobody will bother but considering it's a general kitchen makes it wrong...

I wonder how people compare kitchen with toilet and bathroom undecided.. Kitchen is a private place please. . If you actually allow her total freedom as many of you have said, then she should have access to your bedroom, use your room's toilet/bathroom, enter your room when he/she pleases, Use your personal items, bring out soup from the freezer and warm without permission.. I can go on and on....Freedom my a$s

You're a visitor so live like a visitor please. ..

1 Like

Re: Opinion Poll: Cooking In A Host's House by Nobody: 8:07am On Jan 23, 2015
aisha2:

They are on their own abeg. They left a thread calling others ill mannered and came to do this one for whatever reason. Abeg limit it to these women they don't speak for anyone but themselves

Aisha2, don't get me wrong but you have decided to come to this thread too. Why don't you answer the questions?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Extramarital Affair - The Warning Signs Before Getting Stuck / Does Your Husband Complain About Your Cooking? Share Your Experience. / Christmas Gift Idea For A Mother-In-Law

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.