Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,901 members, 7,802,920 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:18 AM

How To Grow And Maintain A Natural Afro - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / How To Grow And Maintain A Natural Afro (24104 Views)

How To Grow And Take Care Of Ur Beard / "Best 10 Tips On How To Grow And Maintain Your Natural Hair Within 10 Days" / How To Grow And Keep That Fro (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Grow And Maintain A Natural Afro by slimdiggi: 11:57pm On Jan 22, 2015
The 'Fro' is all the rage right but you should know that this timeless hairstyle takes patience, understanding and hardwork to maintain. Growing an afro and its care is completely different from dealing with chemically processed hair. Taming these curls require specifics do's and don't's:

Do care watch you eat. Apart from taking care of the hair on the outside, watch your diet when growing a fro. B complex vitamins, fish, nuts are essentials for growing a healthy hair. Drink lots of water also.

Don't use mineral oils, petroleum jelly, gels as these would clog and prevent scalp hair follicles from growing. It can also prevent moisture from getting in. Alchohol based products is also no-no!

Do deep conditioning twice a week to keep moisture balance and prevent breakage.

Don't comb hair dry. Please stop combing your hair dry! Your hair is at its most fragile point at this stage and when not handled properly will lead to snapping, breaking and tearing. Comb your hair when it is saturated with conditioner and use a wider tooth comb.

Do trim your hair. Yes, yes I know you've worked so hard to get it to that length but cutting away split ends will prevent breakage and makes your hair look fuller and bouncier.

Don't bother your growing hair with weaves all the time. If you are going to wear something protective, try wigs, half wigs, satin scarves. Avoid anything cotton (pillow, shirts). Protective styles help your hair when it is too hard to manage in the growing out trasitioning phase. When braiding, not too tight please!

Do moisturize. Not with petroleum jelly! As funny as it sounds, keep it wet...with water. Put water in a spray bottle and apply from about 1 to 2 inches from hair roots all the way to the end.

Don't heat too much (No yoruba pun intended). Heat curlers and blow dryers can damage your hair. Trying air drying.

Do use a lot of natural oils like jojoba, emu, coconut.

And don't forget to read ingredient labels of any hair product because it is equally as important as as that of a youghout bottle!

http://creativefancies..com/2015/01/trendy-thursday-how-to-grow-and.html?m=1

2 Likes

Re: How To Grow And Maintain A Natural Afro by Hila12(m): 11:16pm On Apr 11, 2015
Very insightful.
Re: How To Grow And Maintain A Natural Afro by KrystalRuby(f): 1:12pm On Apr 13, 2015
You can also order for jamaican black castor oil from me. This helps to strengthen and improve hair growth

Re: How To Grow And Maintain A Natural Afro by RevolutionX: 1:15pm On May 24, 2016
This is really helpful. Thank you. The blackness and shine of that hair@pix is blindingly beautiful
Re: How To Grow And Maintain A Natural Afro by Nobody: 7:19pm On Jun 01, 2019
I never meant to cause you any sorrow. I never meant to cause you any pain. I only wanted to one time see you laughing. I only wanted to see you laughing in the purple rain. kiss

(1) (Reply)

Annie Idibia Goes From Sweet To Naughty Girl In New Magazine / Tiana Uche Michael Crowned Queen Of South East Nigeria Pageant Winner / My Pimples Just Refuse To Go Away (advice Please)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.