Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,519 members, 7,808,895 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:53 PM

Let's DIY Home Decor, Furnishings And More! - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Let's DIY Home Decor, Furnishings And More! (6588 Views)

Diy's On Natural Hair & Beauty / Out of Stock!!! / 14 DIY Home Remedies For Oily Skin!!!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Let's DIY Home Decor, Furnishings And More! by Onegai(f): 6:46pm On Jan 23, 2015
Hello everyone!

This is for all the DIY lovers, crafters and people interested in crafting.

PLEASE DO NOT SELL YOUR GOODS (attachments, clothes, bleaching soaps etc) ON THIS THREAD.

A place for us to discuss our latest projects, materials, create and have fun.

DIY is a nice way of decorating and making unique pieces for your home/room. It's also a great hobby (which most people don't have in Nigeria) and can be very relaxing.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Let's DIY Home Decor, Furnishings And More! by Onegai(f): 6:59pm On Jan 23, 2015
CROCHET

If you're familiar with knitting, then you know about crochet. Grab your crochet needles, some yarn/wool and spend some quality time doing this. There are several patterns online or you can choose to make yours.

Below is a friend's handwork. For baby gifts, she crochets a customised baby quilt or booties and a cap for her friends. It' such a lovely and thoughtful gift from her (seriously, all of us try and get pregnant because of it, lol).

You can find needles at most markets (just look for big gauges and small gauges), I much prefer Babby wool (it's thicker) and get patterns online as well as inspiration.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Let's DIY Home Decor, Furnishings And More! by Onegai(f): 9:43pm On Jan 23, 2015
Here are some more pics of her work and a pic of her crochet needles (check out the gauges).

1 Like

Re: Let's DIY Home Decor, Furnishings And More! by Onegai(f): 10:06pm On Jan 23, 2015
3D Letters

These are really cute and look nice anywhere, whether in a dorm room or a house, a baby room or your own place. They can stand on their own or be mounted on a wall.

I made these out of some old carton, handcut and hand-designed paper flowers, created my 3D letter and stuck them on carefully. It is a long process, but you can do simpler designs (I will be doing a Nautical one for a boys' room and a F1 letter for a guy).

It's not that hard to cut out your pieces, just either do some careful measuring or simply print out a stencil.
Re: Let's DIY Home Decor, Furnishings And More! by zemaye: 6:43am On Jan 24, 2015
smiley
The kiddos socks are adorable wow I love it
Following this thread
Re: Let's DIY Home Decor, Furnishings And More! by Onegai(f): 9:38am On Jan 24, 2015
YARN-COVERED BOTTLES

We had this artificial flower bouquet, in a fussy, old-school arrangement, for such a long time. Having gotten tired of the look, we decided to freshen it in a modern twist and went shopping for coloured, unique-shaped vases. Prices in the mall and at Sura market sent us reeling back to see if you could DIY something.

Grab some bottles (any type, think of your arrangement) and some yarn (again, think of your colour scheme) and glue. That's all you need, a bit of patience, this takes 30 mins. Remember, the shape of the bottle determines how difficult it will be to wrap them. Start from the top and simply glue and wrap the yarn around it. You can colour the yarn with paint later to give a stiff look to it.

This is our new arrangement. It's royal blue,purple and burgundy. We grouped the artificial flowers into roses, greenery and lilies. It's more streamlined this way instead of that old fussy look. We get tons of compliments on them.

first look is our new look, second is our old look

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Let's DIY Home Decor, Furnishings And More! by Onegai(f): 11:46am On Jan 24, 2015
zemaye:
smiley
The kiddos socks are adorable wow I love it
Following this thread

Thanks! Feel free to try some on your own o. It's fun, easy, cheap and keeps you from being bored.
Re: Let's DIY Home Decor, Furnishings And More! by missmonique: 4:17pm On Jan 24, 2015
Onegai:
3D Letters

These are really cute and look nice anywhere, whether in a dorm room or a house, a baby room or your own place. They can stand on their own or be mounted on a wall.

I made these out of some old carton, handcut and hand-designed foam paper flowers, created my 3D letter and stuck them on carefully. It is a long process, but you can do simpler designs (I will be doing a Nautical one for a boys' room and a F1 letter for a guy).

It's not that hard to cut out your pieces, just either do some careful measuring or simply print out a stencil.
Wow!!! I am a big DIY person,sooo following this thread. Pls can u do a step by step of this 3D letter.... Tanks
Re: Let's DIY Home Decor, Furnishings And More! by Onegai(f): 6:25pm On Jan 24, 2015
missmonique:
Wow!!! I am a big DIY person,sooo following this thread. Pls can u do a step by step of this 3D letter.... Tanks

Hi, I don't take pictures while I'm working (it slows me down) but there are guides for them online.

Glad you like DIY. Why not put up samples of what you've done with a brief description, let's all take a look smiley
Re: Let's DIY Home Decor, Furnishings And More! by Onegai(f): 6:35pm On Jan 24, 2015
People, people! Abeg contribute to the thread na, I'm sure we've got some DIY experts in the house. Let's share our creative juices.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Let's DIY Home Decor, Furnishings And More! by Onegai(f): 11:19am On Jan 26, 2015
GRASS LAMPS

This is advanced, as in finished to perfection. An Artist, Adebimpe (a lovely friend) designs these lamps from Grass.

You too can design your own lamp shades simply get a lamp base, sketch out your designs and find a frame to support them.
Starte with simple designs.

Skills like basket-weaving and rafia-weaving will be very helpful for DIY enthuasists
It does require research but the finished product is unique and very stunning.

2 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Let's DIY Home Decor, Furnishings And More! by Nobody: 5:29pm On Feb 23, 2015
Hi Onegai...i Learnt you are a make up artist, i need some advice.. i want to buy foundation, powder, concealer,primer, eyeshadow et al, which product do you think is best? i need something that wont hide my natural colour or make me look too shiny, i'm chocolate/brown.. My friend told me to buy black up.. what do you think? Also, do you know about their prices? Thank you smiley
Re: Let's DIY Home Decor, Furnishings And More! by anthoniaz(f): 9:14pm On Feb 23, 2015
Nice thread.

Here is something I want to try.

1 Like

Re: Let's DIY Home Decor, Furnishings And More! by Onegai(f): 8:04am On Feb 25, 2015
MarvellousGod:
Hi Onegai...i Learnt you are a make up artist, i need some advice.. i want to buy foundation, powder, concealer,primer, eyeshadow et al, which product do you think is best? i need something that wont hide my natural colour or make me look too shiny, i'm chocolate/brown.. My friend told me to buy black up.. what do you think? Also, do you know about their prices? Thank you smiley

smiley no problem. Please pm me, just to let you know there is a consultation fee (paid upfront) for one-on-one info (I will detail that in the pm) before we start looking at your lifestyle, skintone and your comfort zone. I'll be expecting that pm. Thanks!

Now, back to the thread...

2 Likes

Re: Let's DIY Home Decor, Furnishings And More! by Onegai(f): 8:10am On Feb 25, 2015
anthoniaz:
Nice thread.

Here is something I want to try.

Hi dear, I can't see the picture you posted, could you pls repost it, let's look at it together.

Okay, I've seen the pics, not bad! My only concern for you is to find the best type of adhesive to use (since it's a lamp, it will generate some heat, so you don't need a glue that melts under certain temps). I think a glue gun would be best for this. Have you tried it?

Working on another 3D alphabet (was halfway through it when I realised I hadn't taken pics again, so will see if I can do another with pics). Also, have some other projects in place. So stay tuned.
Re: Let's DIY Home Decor, Furnishings And More! by anthoniaz(f): 5:45pm On Feb 25, 2015
Onegai:

Hi dear, I can't see the picture you posted, could you pls repost it, let's look at it together.

Okay, I've seen the pics, not bad! My only concern for you is to find the best type of adhesive to use (since it's a lamp, it will generate some heat, so you don't need a glue that melts under certain temps). I think a glue gun would be best for this. Have you tried it?

Working on another 3D alphabet (was halfway through it when I realised I hadn't taken pics again, so will see if I can do another with pics). Also, have some other projects in place. So stay tuned.
I have not tried it.I have have a glue gun.
Re: Let's DIY Home Decor, Furnishings And More! by Onegai(f): 6:18am On Jun 08, 2015
Hey DIYers, how's it going? Gotta revive this thread o. I am really getting into gardening and bought some flower pots (the plastic ones) and decided to repaint them with Acrylic paint. Just sand them down with sandpaper before you start and remember that if you are putting these outside, you need a clear coat of sealer like Shellac to protect them from peeling.

2 Likes

Re: Let's DIY Home Decor, Furnishings And More! by Nobody: 6:32am On Jun 08, 2015
Still following...
Re: Let's DIY Home Decor, Furnishings And More! by pretydiva(f): 9:01am On Jun 08, 2015
Following. Buh u need 2 tel us d materials n methods or steps 2 follow

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Let's DIY Home Decor, Furnishings And More! by Nobody: 12:10pm On Jun 20, 2015
Hey onegai

How do you do the glue part for the flower vase bottles. What type of glue and considering its on a bottle hoe do I reduce the mess and not get ur fingers glued whilst wrapping the yarn around. I'd like to try but I want it to wrap around neatly with mo spaces in between.
Re: Let's DIY Home Decor, Furnishings And More! by Onegai(f): 3:38am On Jun 21, 2015
salsera:
Hey onegai

How do you do the glue part for the flower vase bottles. What type of glue and considering its on a bottle hoe do I reduce the mess and not get ur fingers glued whilst wrapping the yarn around. I'd like to try but I want it to wrap around neatly with mo spaces in between.

I just apply the glue with a glue stick. I have different types of glue, for this I used Carpenter's glue (white glue). I feel it's not as neat as using a glue gun though (but maybe it was my technique that was faulty). You shouldn't use super-glue (most of what they sell in Nigeria is pretty fake), and try to do small sections at a time. That will mean less glue being applied and fewer chances of glueing your fingers together. If you get gaps, then maybe try wrapping the bottles twice. HTH.
Re: Let's DIY Home Decor, Furnishings And More! by dashiki(f): 12:19pm On Sep 02, 2015
Please can someone recommend a place in Lagos where I can get worsted weight yarn or something similar? The wool I keep seeing around is an absolute joke.
Re: Let's DIY Home Decor, Furnishings And More! by anthoniaz(f): 1:39pm On Sep 02, 2015

1 Share

Re: Let's DIY Home Decor, Furnishings And More! by franky2013(f): 1:35pm On Sep 18, 2015
you guys r so creative, waooo i m astonished. id wish i could do a bit of these sadso loving it. @ onegai i see u, weldone, nice work
anthoniaz:
Re: Let's DIY Home Decor, Furnishings And More! by babythug(f): 1:52pm On Sep 18, 2015
Onegai:
YARN-COVERED BOTTLES

We had this artificial flower bouquet, in a fussy, old-school arrangement, for such a long time. Having gotten tired of the look, we decided to freshen it in a modern twist and went shopping for coloured, unique-shaped vases. Prices in the mall and at Sura market sent us reeling back to see if you could DIY something.

Grab some bottles (any type, think of your arrangement) and some yarn (again, think of your colour scheme) and glue. That's all you need, a bit of patience, this takes 30 mins. Remember, the shape of the bottle determines how difficult it will be to wrap them. Start from the top and simply glue and wrap the yarn around it. You can colour the yarn with paint later to give a stiff look to it.

This is our new arrangement. It's royal blue,purple and burgundy. We grouped the artificial flowers into roses, greenery and lilies. It's more streamlined this way instead of that old fussy look. We get tons of compliments on them.

first look is our new look, second is our old look

Very nicely done. It's a shame i just tossed some fancy* empty bottles! Hope to try this soon.
Re: Let's DIY Home Decor, Furnishings And More! by babythug(f): 1:54pm On Sep 18, 2015
Just an idea. Hopefully i can put up pictures soon. To revamp cushion covers, you can sew on buttons- different sizes, colours and shapes. Depending on the fabric that is. One can cluster the buttons or sew them on randomly. It is also possible to stick on shiny stones of various sizes.

Cheap and you have a fresh new look for the living room wink
Re: Let's DIY Home Decor, Furnishings And More! by babythug(f): 1:56pm On Sep 18, 2015
Onegai:
Hey DIYers, how's it going? Gotta revive this thread o. I am really getting into gardening and bought some flower pots (the plastic ones) and decided to repaint them with Acrylic paint. Just sand them down with sandpaper before you start and remember that if you are putting these outside, you need a clear coat of sealer like Shellac to protect them from peeling.

What are you planting? Wanna share? I'm hoping to start a herb* garden as soon as we move into our own home. Mint leaves, curry and some ewedu as well grin etc etc
Re: Let's DIY Home Decor, Furnishings And More! by Onegai(f): 3:13pm On Sep 18, 2015
babythug:

What are you planting? Wanna share? I'm hoping to start a herb* garden as soon as we move into our own home. Mint leaves, curry and some ewedu as well grin etc etc

Oh I've grown yam and some veggies. I tried mint but Le Husbs totally sabotaged my effort. Where will you get curry from?

Once Baby E allows me to be great, I'll put up pictures of repainting furniture and creating small home decor.
Re: Let's DIY Home Decor, Furnishings And More! by Onegai(f): 3:16pm On Sep 18, 2015
dashiki:
Please can someone recommend a place in Lagos where I can get worsted weight yarn or something similar? The wool I keep seeing around is an absolute joke.

I don't think you will find good yarn in bulk anywhere (i went to the market and all i saw was that lightweight crap!) If I had known I'd have brought tons back with me from my trip. But maybe I can do some later...
Re: Let's DIY Home Decor, Furnishings And More! by Sharoniah(f): 2:23am On Oct 29, 2015
thats a nice one Onari,,keep d good work ladies,,m into knitting and crocheting,,i'll post some pictures later,,,but ladies is it only acrylic wool thats in market?

1 Like

Re: Let's DIY Home Decor, Furnishings And More! by homewoxng: 2:46pm On Jul 05, 2017
Onegai:
Hello everyone!

This is for all the DIY lovers, crafters and people interested in crafting.

PLEASE DO NOT SELL YOUR GOODS (attachments, clothes, bleaching soaps etc) ON THIS THREAD.

A place for us to discuss our latest projects, materials, create and have fun.

DIY is a nice way of decorating and making unique pieces for your home/room. It's also a great hobby (which most people don't have in Nigeria) and can be very relaxing.

Sorry for arriving here late, Pardon us please. Very recently, We were at AUN(American University of Nigeria) Hotel, Yola. We were really amazed at the locally made decor they used in beautifying the state of the art hotel.

We got talking with the general manager of the hotel, somehow he made us understand that, the decor items are outputs of their CSR. How?
They engage the locals, mostly ladies teaching them art-craft mainly by using "waste materials". Fabrics Left overs from tailoring shops and so.

AUN hotel will find market for these products with the proceeds back to the artisans. Really commendable, we believe . Below, we share with you one of the images we found really fascinating (emphasis on the pendant lights and the keke).

GIANT DISCLAIMER:
We have zero affiliation to AUN. Instead, Our business is online retail of home furnishings in Nigeria
https://www.homewox.ng/home-decor

With Love.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

30+ Most Beautiful And Creative Ankara Designs For Woman / Breathtaking Aso Ebi Styles. / Black Spots Caused By Chicken Pox.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.