Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,958 members, 7,806,772 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:21 PM

Hippo Killed In River Benue - Science/Technology (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Hippo Killed In River Benue (66306 Views)

Huge Whale Killed In Brass, Bayelsa For Food (Photos) / See The Animal I Killed In University Of Benin. What's The Name? / Big Whale Killed In Ilaje, Ondo State (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hippo Killed In River Benue by 100Cents: 9:13am On Jan 24, 2015
wazoboy:
In a normal society authority would have been called if the animals are disturbing, and the animal(s) would have been safely moved to the reserves! But here, because of our greed, everything is meat

Who are the authorities you will call here ? Oya talk.

Assuming you even call police who were passing by in their van, what will they do if not to kill that hippo and wait to have their own share of the meat ?

Don't say because of greed, there is hunger already in town.

1 Like

Re: Hippo Killed In River Benue by james1(m): 9:54am On Jan 24, 2015
Nigeria is an amazing place;many especially those with little or no knowledge blame's GEJ for everything;they are stuck in traffic,its GEJ's fault.their wives wronged them;its GEJ.their children won't listen to them;its GEJ.now some here are blaming GEJ for the death of an hippo on the river niger.smh.
GEJ odi popular.chai!
Anyway's vote GEJ#teamGEJ.

2 Likes

Re: Hippo Killed In River Benue by MansaMoussa: 10:13am On Jan 24, 2015
Before we blame the Fishermen, its imperative to ask the question? With Whom Lies The Primary responsibility of Protection of Wild-life and people (especially Dangerous Wild life?)

Hippos have inhabited the Benue River for Hundreds of Years. However recently population boom around the river banks and explosion in the number of Hippos leading to inevitable contact often with dangerous sequelae on both sides!
I remember as a Child, when I used to spend Holidays with my Uncle in Makurdi, there was a Gulf Course behind his Quarters and we saw how Hippos come out of the Water to wreck Havoc on the Grass at night!
Stories of Hippos attacking Fishermen and other Passengers of Canoes were common. It was very bad, yet there was never a Time, the Ministry of Environment or Wildlife Protection Agency considered locating or Fencing off some segments of the River dominated by Hippos! Instead the Govt made some Obnoxious Laws about Arresting anyone who kills a Hippo! How Stupid!!!
Does the Govt know the actual Number of Hippos in the River?
Do they know the number that must be maintained to ensure a Healthy Ecosystem?
Are there any Population control measures for the Hippos?

If a Hippo begins to terrorise my neighbours, I'll pick up a Rifle and Shoot it! Period!!!

What we are seeing is the Product of a Useless Govt! The Benue Govt is the most backward and Illiterate Govt I've seen in my life!
Makurdi is the most Iconic State Capital in Nigeria, with the River Benue giving the City a distinct identity, you can virtually see the River at any point you stand in Markurdi!
The Tourism Potentials are Enormous!!!
1. Yearly Boat Carnivals
2. UniAgric vs BSU Canoeing Competition (Oxford/Cambridge Model)
3.Swimming Competitions
4.Various 5-star Hotel Rivieras
5 Any Water Sport at all

Using Wire Meshes, Hippos are isolated from routes Humans ply and everyone will be Happy! The Hippos themselves will become tourist attractions!

All the Govt needs to do is to travel to countries like the UK, SA, etc and partner with foreign Developers who should be given huge Concessions and Waivers to run such development schemes for 20-30yrs, by the time they are done, the city won't be recognized!
But a Govt that would rather sponsor Beauty Pageants and watch its huge factories(Teraku Mills etc) rot rather than auction off to investors to create employment isn't the kinda of Govt I should be wasting my time talking about!

Goodmorning Fellaz!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hippo Killed In River Benue by Nobody: 10:33am On Jan 24, 2015
100Cents:

Who are the authorities you will call here ? Oya talk.

Assuming you even call police who were passing by in their van, what will they do if not to kill that hippo and wait to have their own share of the meat ?

Don't say because of greed, there is hunger already in town.
Now relax and read my post again, I said "in a normal society", is what you described above a normal society?

1 Like

Re: Hippo Killed In River Benue by searay(m): 10:36am On Jan 24, 2015
OK. But why?
Re: Hippo Killed In River Benue by Nobody: 10:36am On Jan 24, 2015
Op and u where there taking pics,why didnt u stop them..voltron
Re: Hippo Killed In River Benue by x6blade(m): 10:36am On Jan 24, 2015
I spread my mat
Re: Hippo Killed In River Benue by Nobody: 10:38am On Jan 24, 2015
Obiagelli:
I wonder why we are like this, this is pure greed, the people in that picture can't tell me they are so hungry and can't find anything other than this sheppo, sorry hippo. Its really sad they kill it.

I wonder the fucccking essence of preserving all these fuccccking wildlives when all dr own aim is to kill & eat us up..

Its absurd to me sha..
Re: Hippo Killed In River Benue by mecusbosco(m): 10:40am On Jan 24, 2015
Obiagelli:
I wonder why we are like this, this is pure greed, the people in that picture can't tell me they are so hungry and can't find anything other than this sheppo, sorry hippo. Its really sad they kill it.

Hypocrites - I guess you would have liked the story to be like this [/b] A hippo killed 3 in Benue. [b]

That's a wild animal and as such should not swim near people's sight.

My humble opinion.

They also conserve snakes in America. Don't worry a big snake will visit you one day so you can conserve it too.
Re: Hippo Killed In River Benue by Misogynist2014(m): 10:43am On Jan 24, 2015
An endangered species that should be protected is what people are happy to have killed

1 Like

Re: Hippo Killed In River Benue by sirgreen: 10:43am On Jan 24, 2015
THIS IS REALLY BIG MEAT
Boyoorisha:
''A sane nation conserves their environments, natural reserves and wild animals but an hungry nation destroys their own environment and wild lives''.

http://www.punchng.com/news/hippo-killed-in-river-benue/
Re: Hippo Killed In River Benue by elbinmanny(m): 10:44am On Jan 24, 2015
Obiagelli:

Why you dodge sheppo grin grin your president dey chop am one way or the other cheesy cheesy
this is how your brain works..when u take postinor 2 in excess..ladies beware cry cry cry
Re: Hippo Killed In River Benue by Nobody: 10:45am On Jan 24, 2015
we suppose to have many hypopotemus killed in Nigeria but PDP people will not allow that.
PDP park your load and go
Re: Hippo Killed In River Benue by KanwuliaJara: 10:45am On Jan 24, 2015
Na ALBINO? undecided
Abi dem don comot ein skin? undecided
Re: Hippo Killed In River Benue by Nobody: 10:45am On Jan 24, 2015
sincerenigerian:

I beg leave story. Na good meat be that. God created these animals for our consumption. How I pray I dey there to eat sef.

God did not create any animals. Your christian belief has successfully blinded you to the fact that you need to protect nature.
Re: Hippo Killed In River Benue by Montaque(m): 10:46am On Jan 24, 2015
Unemployment has caused a lot in this country.
That hippo is listed among endangered species under our laws.
But we the best excuse for lawlessness and indiscipline in Nigeria is SURVIVAL. they are proud in ignorance to have reduced the number of a rare specie in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Hippo Killed In River Benue by vislabraye(m): 10:47am On Jan 24, 2015
Keneking:
Today I saw a big dead snake at VGC roundabout ...measuring about 3mtrs. Now it is hippo...I am sure we shall have sharks and elephants in this country.

I've heard of elephants, but I want to know if we have lions in the wild.

But i pity this hippo. Na meat inside somebody soup.
Re: Hippo Killed In River Benue by meerak54: 10:48am On Jan 24, 2015
Hippo for real
Re: Hippo Killed In River Benue by spartan50(m): 10:48am On Jan 24, 2015
madgoat:
This is why we all need to vote for Buhari or else this kind of backwardness will continue... Change must come!
So you want to vote him in to come protect animals? Ogbeni! Move!
Re: Hippo Killed In River Benue by Abmarshalo(m): 10:48am On Jan 24, 2015
And they say Goodluck is not working. As a result of the transformation in the Agric sector, massive mammals have come into our waters. Now the people of Benue can eAt protein for a long time.

GEJTill2019

Boyoorisha:
''A sane nation conserves their environments, natural reserves and wild animals but an hungry nation destroys their own environment and wild lives''.

http://www.punchng.com/news/hippo-killed-in-river-benue/
Re: Hippo Killed In River Benue by Nobody: 10:49am On Jan 24, 2015
madgoat:
This is why we all need to vote for Buhari or else this kind of backwardness will continue... Change must come!

Niggaz be reping their moniker
Re: Hippo Killed In River Benue by Misogynist2014(m): 10:49am On Jan 24, 2015
james1:
Nigeria is an amazing place;many especially those with little or no knowledge blame's GEJ for everything;they are stuck in traffic,its GEJ's fault.their wives wronged them;its GEJ.their children won't listen to them;its GEJ.now some here are blaming GEJ for the death of an hippo on the river niger.smh.
GEJ odi popular.chai!
Anyway's vote GEJ#teamGEJ.
He is a zoologist for crying out loud! What has he done to conserve this dying animal?
Re: Hippo Killed In River Benue by Onegai(f): 10:50am On Jan 24, 2015
MansaMoussa:
Before we blame the Fishermen, its imperative to ask the question? With Whom Lies The Primary responsibility of Protection of Wild-life and people (especially Dangerous Wild life?)

Hippos have inhabited the Benue River for Hundreds of Years. However recently population boom around the river banks and explosion in the number of Hippos leading to inevitable contact often with dangerous sequelae on both sides!
I remember as a Child, when I used to spend Holidays with my Uncle in Makurdi, there was a Gulf Course behind his Quarters and we saw how Hippos come out of the Water to wreck Havoc on the Grass at night!
Stories of Hippos attacking Fishermen and other Passengers of Canoes were common. It was very bad, yet there was never a Time, the Ministry of Environment or Wildlife Protection Agency considered locating or Fencing off some segments of the River dominated by Hippos! Instead the Govt made some Obnoxious Laws about Arresting anyone who kills a Hippo! How Stupid!!!
Does the Govt know the actual Number of Hippos in the River?
Do they know the number that must be maintained to ensure a Healthy Ecosystem?
Are there any Population control measures for the Hippos?

If a Hippo begins to terrorise my neighbours, I'll pick up a Rifle and Shoot it! Period!!!

What we are seeing is the Product of a Useless Govt! The Benue Govt is the most backward and Illiterate Govt I've seen in my life!
Makurdi is the most Iconic State Capital in Nigeria, with the River Benue giving the City a distinct identity, you can virtually see the River at any point you stand in Markurdi!
The Tourism Potentials are Enormous!!!
1. Yearly Boat Carnivals
2. UniAgric vs BSU Canoeing Competition (Oxford/Cambridge Model)
3.Swimming Competitions
4.Various 5-star Hotel Rivieras
5 Any Water Sport at all

Using Wire Meshes, Hippos are isolated from routes Humans ply and everyone will be Happy! The Hippos themselves will become tourist attractions!

All the Govt needs to do is to travel to countries like the UK, SA, etc and partner with foreign Developers who should be given huge Concessions and Waivers to run such development schemes for 20-30yrs, by the time they are done, the city won't be recognized!
But a Govt that would rather sponsor Beauty Pageants and watch its huge factories(Teraku Mills etc) rot rather than auction off to investors to create employment isn't the kinda of Govt I should be wasting my time talking about!

Goodmorning Fellaz!

My brother, join me and a few other intelligent Nigerians to go and buy land somewhere and form our country. Don't let your brain be wasting here in Nigeria o!

Yankari could have been a big money spinner. We could charge money to fence these places, hire people to care for them, hire vets, zoologists, you name it (but hey, we are complaining we don't have jobs!) But noooo, hippos cause wahala to a small section of people when we could keep them alive and make money off a larger section. Besides even in Lagos there is N400 meat, don't tell me villagers are starving, city people are the hungry ones.

1 Like

Re: Hippo Killed In River Benue by Nobody: 10:51am On Jan 24, 2015
is that patience jonathan?

1 Like

Re: Hippo Killed In River Benue by Orikinla(m): 10:53am On Jan 24, 2015
[size=28pt]Finally, PDPpopotamus is down and out.[/size] grin
Re: Hippo Killed In River Benue by AreaFada2: 10:53am On Jan 24, 2015
Obiagelli:

Why you dodge sheppo grin grin your president dey chop am one way or the other cheesy cheesy

See wetin a "woman" dey say about a fellow female. Na wa o. Ladies are now rare to find.
Re: Hippo Killed In River Benue by ba7man(m): 10:54am On Jan 24, 2015
Obiagelli:

EEwwwwwwwww....!!!!! angry angry

Her soundtrack sef will be laden with epic grammatical errors. lipsrsealed
Re: Hippo Killed In River Benue by adoyi81: 10:56am On Jan 24, 2015
wazoboy:
In a normal society authority would have been called if the animals are disturbing, and the animal(s) would have been safely moved to the reserves! But here, because of our greed, everything is meat
Wat have u done to make dey society normal.
enough of this criticism @ the opportunity,
we all responsible for our failing society
Re: Hippo Killed In River Benue by Nobody: 11:02am On Jan 24, 2015
reborn1:
[s][/s]

Haba! Why the insult? Thats too much bro. She was only joking, everything is not politics abeg.

Broda I dn talk am tire. Leave them make they kill their sef bury them sef by them sef na them them
Re: Hippo Killed In River Benue by wiloy2k8(m): 11:02am On Jan 24, 2015
petrov10:
Who hippo don help

good question ... good food
Re: Hippo Killed In River Benue by Redoil: 11:03am On Jan 24, 2015
Obiagelli:
my love how far?
Re: Hippo Killed In River Benue by Juzzybabe(f): 11:03am On Jan 24, 2015
Obiagelli:
Sorry to quote u... There is poverty in poverty,as bad as it is for that hippo,hummm,its as gud for some families that are facing poverty in poverty.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Huge 'god Of Chaos' Asteroid Is Speeding Up, Could Hit Earth In 48 Years (Pix) / Today Is The Longest Day Of The Year And There Will Be A Solar Eclipse Tomorrow / 'Female Vampire' Shackled To Prevent Her Re-Incarnation Found In Poland (Graphic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.