Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,876 members, 7,802,819 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:36 PM

The Terrible Price Of An “unlimited Internet Service” In Nigeria - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / The Terrible Price Of An “unlimited Internet Service” In Nigeria (44867 Views)

Which GSM Provider Offer The Best Internet Service For Smartphone Users. / Subscriber Options for UNLIMITED Internet - WORTH IT? / Does It Mean No Internet Service Provision For Those With 2/3g Phones On Ntel? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Terrible Price Of An “unlimited Internet Service” In Nigeria by hummerwise(m): 12:52am On Jan 24, 2015
Came across this online just thought I should share to get you guys opinion..Are we being Exploited?

Every Nigerian in Nigeria would wish for a 24 / 7 unlimited internet service that would allow him or her access the net without any restriction, and at a cheap price. Mind you, I’m not referring to the service most networks in Nigeria offer, that allows you to send “unlimited” whatsup messages with your phone. I am referring to an unlimited internet service that can allow me to watch videos online, upload contents online, stream live matches and download all the freeware software’s I need to my PC, without having to worry about my Megabytes(MB) or data plan.

My story

My siblings and I spent our 2014 summer vacation in Nigeria. My mum knew she needed to provide an unlimited internet service (Wi-Fi) for us, since we all use the internet almost every day.

She searched for a network that offered an unlimited internet access around the area we lived. But to our surprise, she couldn’t find one. MTN, Glo, Etisalat, Visaphone, etc, couldn’t even offer that.

The ones that said they offered an unlimited internet service (at a high price) were not saying the truth. 200 or 300 Gigabyte of data is still not an unlimited data plan.

She had to settle for a limited data plan (20 GB), and an internet service based on recommendations (Visaphone). Visaphone happened to be the network used mostly in the area we live because it was cheaper and relatively reliable as compared to other networks.

The cost (at 13,000 Naira) for a 20GB Visaphone data plan is exuberant, even though it’s cheaper than other networks. The funny thing is that the data plan lasts less than 2 weeks. Note: We tried our best not to download or stream contents online.

Comparison to other West African countries

As a person who has lived in smaller West African countries like Togo, and Ghana .It’d say the price of an unlimited internet access in Nigeria is high as compared to the countries mentioned above.

Togo

Togo was able to give me a reliable, unlimited internet access for a cheap price during my short stay in 2013. I spent less than 5000 Naira per month for a “fast” internet service while in the country. Another interesting fact is that my subscription didn’t always expire at the end of the month. It’d would stay for an extra 3 days or more before my subscription expire. So technically I paid less than 5000 Naira for a more-than a month unlimited internet service.

Come to Nigeria in 2013 and even today, where would you find an unlimited internet service, not to mention that cheap? Not a place! This is terrible especially considering the fact that Nigeria has one of the largest populations of internet users in the world.

Ghana

I’ve not been to Ghana for some time, so I asked some of my pals on Facebook for the monthly prices of unlimited internet service in Ghana. Surprisingly, their answers where very similar, and cheap!

Pal 1: Tigo, 1 Cedi (less than 100 Naira) per day!

Pal 2: Tigo: 30 Ghc for Tigo, and 150 GHc or 80 GHc for MTN.

Ghana is currently going through serious financial problems, but it’s surprising that telecommunication networks still offer an unlimited internet access at that cheap price amidst the harsh economic situation.

“Reason?”

I discussed this problem with someone and he told me it was because of the high demand of internet service in Nigeria. Well, I taught: “those guys want to maximize their revenue at the expense of internet users in Nigeria. Period.”
Source:http://www.thescripton.com/2014/10/02/terrible-price-unlimited-internet-service-nigeria/

52 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Terrible Price Of An “unlimited Internet Service” In Nigeria by Simeony007(m): 2:13am On Jan 24, 2015
Well! Mtn gives unlimited bb data for just 1k! And if you know your way you can actually use more than 1 terabyte in just a month... Now is that not incredible?

15 Likes

Re: The Terrible Price Of An “unlimited Internet Service” In Nigeria by Randerl: 2:31am On Jan 24, 2015
Bro You Can Say That Again. If You Know Your Way You Can Download 2Terabyte of Data With 1000k. On PC and Mobile.

Simeony007:
Well! Mtn gives unlimited bb data for just 1k! And if you know your way you can actually use more than 1 terabyte in just a month... Now is that not incredible?

4 Likes

Re: The Terrible Price Of An “unlimited Internet Service” In Nigeria by Largernonso(m): 4:33am On Jan 24, 2015
Randerl:
Bro You Can Say That Again. If You Know Your Way You Can Download 2Terabyte of Data With 1000k. On PC and Mobile.

simeony.
i need it pls. i was using glo 3gb 1k. to thether bt for like 2wks now it stopped. heard theyv blocked it.
Re: The Terrible Price Of An “unlimited Internet Service” In Nigeria by Akosbaba(m): 5:48am On Jan 24, 2015
These comments do not tally with Post at all,why do you have to find your way when these networks can just stop exploiting us

125 Likes 5 Shares

Re: The Terrible Price Of An “unlimited Internet Service” In Nigeria by Warlord3000(m): 5:54am On Jan 24, 2015
No wonder naija people are suffering and smiling..

Someone is trying to vent out his anger and trying to fight for his right..

And some people are here preaching about bypassing a barrier through a 3rd party tunnel apps...

Question is: why can't they offer us better package directly...

SIMPLE

207 Likes 11 Shares

Re: The Terrible Price Of An “unlimited Internet Service” In Nigeria by denniece1(m): 6:05am On Jan 24, 2015
Simeony007:
I don't think Mtn bb data is actually unlimited, my own usually finishes.

33 Likes

Re: The Terrible Price Of An “unlimited Internet Service” In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:21am On Jan 24, 2015
Well the fault lies with NCC for not doing their jobs and us for not making them accountable....... but that's the fact of life in Nigeria.

48 Likes

Re: The Terrible Price Of An “unlimited Internet Service” In Nigeria by Akshow: 6:32am On Jan 24, 2015
service providers been milking Nigeria dry since 1660. from airtime, to data plan and the most annoying is dstv. Can't our thieving reps and senators for once make these companies stop milking us dry? I know they can afford it from their exorbitant salariy, what abt the masses?

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Terrible Price Of An “unlimited Internet Service” In Nigeria by omicron(m): 7:05am On Jan 24, 2015
But we are not making any noise against it in an organised manner. So both Ncc and the network providers believe we are not serious.

13 Likes

Re: The Terrible Price Of An “unlimited Internet Service” In Nigeria by Randerl: 7:06am On Jan 24, 2015
Glo still blazing. Just check the forum for more info.

Largernonso:
simeony.
i need it pls. i was using glo 3gb 1k. to thether bt for like 2wks now it stopped. heard theyv blocked it.
Re: The Terrible Price Of An “unlimited Internet Service” In Nigeria by mako007(m): 7:08am On Jan 24, 2015
hummerwise:
Came across this online just thought I should share to get you guys opinion..Are we being Exploited?

Source:http://www.thescripton.com/2014/10/02/terrible-price-unlimited-internet-service-nigeria/
it's the bleeping sad truth demand here for internet is high, I remember when celtel (now zain) offered free unlimited internet as at 2007/8. The demand was too low back then.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Terrible Price Of An “unlimited Internet Service” In Nigeria by sekzy99(m): 7:20am On Jan 24, 2015
Kinda funny cos wat can we do about it?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Terrible Price Of An “unlimited Internet Service” In Nigeria by Cchuks27(m): 7:43am On Jan 24, 2015
Simeony007:

Do you even understand what the OP is saying at all?
People in the mentioned countries don't have to try and bypass anything. They get it directly.
I guess you're probably in love with your chains. If you know what I mean.

43 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Terrible Price Of An “unlimited Internet Service” In Nigeria by Babysho(m): 7:51am On Jan 24, 2015
Simeony007:

dont mind the o.p..he has been outta Nigeria for too long...
MTN BB cheat
unlimitedly-20gb..i did dat
speed-2mb per sec...its ok for me o
price..just 100naira!!!
When i look at the speed and heaviness of me downloads...i think Ghana dey suffer!!
Re: The Terrible Price Of An “unlimited Internet Service” In Nigeria by alotofgrace(m): 8:06am On Jan 24, 2015
Simeony007:

Speed of connection is the concern hre
Re: The Terrible Price Of An “unlimited Internet Service” In Nigeria by dridowu: 8:12am On Jan 24, 2015
Simeony007:
Randerl:

suffering and smiling mentality. Instead of calling on NCC to force all ds network to have unlimited at affordable cost you busy looking for illegal connection.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Terrible Price Of An “unlimited Internet Service” In Nigeria by remsonik(f): 8:36am On Jan 24, 2015
Op is so right. Most of the guys here are saying if you know your way use cheats, do we have to use cheats before we can get unlimited internet connection at a reasonable price?? Oga o

24 Likes

Re: The Terrible Price Of An “unlimited Internet Service” In Nigeria by 100Cents: 8:42am On Jan 24, 2015
Akosbaba:
These comments do not tally with Post at all,why do you have to find your way when these networks can just stop exploiting us

Gbam. N2,500 for only 4.5 Gig on MTN monthly.

There was one day I tried streaming, it was that very day my subscription finished under 2 Weeks of subscription.

It is ridiculously costly to browse in Nigeria..

9 Likes

Re: The Terrible Price Of An “unlimited Internet Service” In Nigeria by nenergy(m): 8:56am On Jan 24, 2015
"Note: We tried
our best not to download or stream contents
online."

I understand.....we all try grin

5 Likes

Re: The Terrible Price Of An “unlimited Internet Service” In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:10am On Jan 24, 2015
I think this network service providers and NCC are just playing ten ten with our heads,i wonder why we shouldn't enjoy the luxury of unlimited data like other african countries,this is just improper and completely absurd,and this is also a country dat boost of highest internet users,plainly pathetic,enough of this suffering and smiling.why can't we jus stand for our right must we always be treated like shiit always,besides i was in ghana couple of days back and i subscribed for a monthly data plan can u imagine i used that same plan to download almost 700gig of files(games inclusive) infact i was tired of downloading and switched to streaming youtube videos and other streaming websites unlike nigeria if i subscribe for 75gig it won't last me for 2days coupled with a snail lyk network,NCC are using our heads to play politricks and if we don't take action pronto,hmmmmm

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Terrible Price Of An “unlimited Internet Service” In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:26am On Jan 24, 2015
Simeony007:
na lyk so people lyk una dey take fail exams we don't need cheats just to enjoy the luxury of unlimited data i pity nigerians sha

2 Likes

Re: The Terrible Price Of An “unlimited Internet Service” In Nigeria by G12(m): 9:29am On Jan 24, 2015
Rubbish!

All thanks to TG, with 1k BIS and 6h for TG upgrade I get UNLIMITED access to the internet. I don download, stream and do everything tire.

I go soon go report myself to the network sef cos I no knw wetin I wan do wit such data agn. May not be truly unlimited but abt 900gig is allocated once upgraded.

2 Likes 6 Shares

Re: The Terrible Price Of An “unlimited Internet Service” In Nigeria by parrotibaba(m): 9:43am On Jan 24, 2015
@op d answer to d guy's question is ...;

(a) We don't have a steady power supply so dis networks use fuel or gas or whatever to power dia various stations n in doing so ,de r wasting a lot of cash

(b) The two countries he mentioned (Ghana n Togo) has almost d same population as a single state(Lagos) in Nigeria ,do d math

(c) Still on d two countries(Ghana n Togo) ,it's easier for dem to cover these areas with dia power stations cos de r little compared to d whole of Nigeria n dats why some areas in Nigeria might hv good airtel connection but lacks in quality glo ,mtn n etisalat connections ,dis means dat d various networks can't mount dia power stations all over Nigeria cos of d money wasted in gas or fuel

(d) We hv d worst set of people managing d affairs of d NCC ,dis guys r crooks n cash whores ,almost every year ,one or two or three networks r punished n sanctioned for lack of quality network connections n r made to pay hefty sums of cash(so it seems on d outside) ,banned from selling sim cards for a month or more but after all dis shyte ,d network connections r pretty much d same or worse dan b4 n u ask ur self why? is NCC really doing dia job or r de just interested in d cash de receive from d networks?...

(e) The government (do I need to elaborate more on these fvckers?)

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Terrible Price Of An “unlimited Internet Service” In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:09am On Jan 24, 2015
Simeony007:
U call 3GB unlimited?
Are u daft or just pretending 2 be daft?

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Terrible Price Of An “unlimited Internet Service” In Nigeria by hummerwise(m): 10:21am On Jan 24, 2015
parrotibaba:
@op d answer to d guy's question is ...;

(a) We don't have a steady power supply so dis networks use fuel or gas or whatever to power dia various stations n in doing so ,de r wasting a lot of cash

(b) The two countries he mentioned (Ghana n Togo) has almost d same population as a single state(Lagos) in Nigeria ,do d math

(c) Still on d two countries(Ghana n Togo) ,it's easier for dem to cover these areas with dia power stations cos de r little compared to d whole of Nigeria n dats why some areas in Nigeria might hv good airtel connection but lacks in quality glo ,mtn n etisalat connections ,dis means dat d various networks can't mount dia power stations all over Nigeria cos of d money wasted in gas or fuel

(d) We hv d worst set of people managing d affairs of d NCC ,dis guys r crooks n cash whores ,almost every year ,one or two or three networks r punished n sanctioned for lack of quality network connections n r made to pay hefty sums of cash(so it seems on d outside) ,banned from selling sim cards for a month or more but after all dis shyte ,d network connections r pretty much d same or worse dan b4 n u ask ur self why? is NCC really doing dia job or r de just interested in d cash de receive from d networks?...

(e) The government (do I need to elaborate more on these fvckers?)

Your points are clearly noted,
But I still blv there is always a way this netwrk can provide us Affordable unlimited internet, Becos I know and blv that, for every problem dea is always a solution to it.
The writer only mention the country he has gone to, and am sure in some country with the same population as Nigeria enjoy unlimted internet at an affordable rate.e.g S.A

6 Likes

Re: The Terrible Price Of An “unlimited Internet Service” In Nigeria by parrotibaba(m): 11:18am On Jan 24, 2015
hummerwise:

Your points are clearly noted,
But I still blv there is always a way this netwrk can provide us Affordable unlimited internet, Becos I know and blv that, for every problem dea is always a solution to it.
The writer only mention the country he has gone to, and am sure in some country with the same population as Nigeria enjoy unlimted internet at an affordable rate.e.g S.A
there is no country with d same population as Nigeria in d whole of Africa

2 Likes

Re: The Terrible Price Of An “unlimited Internet Service” In Nigeria by Wisdomkosi(m): 11:27am On Jan 24, 2015
We are still joking in this country

3 Likes

Re: The Terrible Price Of An “unlimited Internet Service” In Nigeria by aliyug79: 11:33am On Jan 24, 2015
BUY MTN DATA SHARED @ CHEAPER RATE:
1GB...1200 NAIRA
2GB...2400 NAIRA
3GB ...3600 NAIRA.
Call 08053635768 & 08143285527.
thankz.
Re: The Terrible Price Of An “unlimited Internet Service” In Nigeria by resocorp: 11:39am On Jan 24, 2015
.....i think the problem is the power cost, some cell sites are run entirely on diesel gen. If power wasnt a problem the price would be much less.
Re: The Terrible Price Of An “unlimited Internet Service” In Nigeria by zenith4biz(m): 12:44pm On Jan 24, 2015
NCC Abeg una attend to this issue, data too expensive.. But I miss Etisalat PayGo
Time to buy Tigo sim
Or
M
T
N
Ghana Sim and start roaming.......

2 Likes

Re: The Terrible Price Of An “unlimited Internet Service” In Nigeria by slinkman(m): 1:12pm On Jan 24, 2015
seun, or lalastica, or any mod, front page, this has gone on for too long. we are being exploited

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How To Set Any Picture As Your BBM/WHATSAPP Display Picture Without Cropping / Chinese Man Burns After Rushing Back To A Burning Factory To Get His Phone / The All New Blackberry Passport Smartphone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.