Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,282 members, 7,807,946 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:28 PM

How Bank Insiders Help Fraudsters Steal Billions - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How Bank Insiders Help Fraudsters Steal Billions (26267 Views)

I Can Make Billions Via Forex Without Sweat Sitting In My Palace – Emir Sanusi / ATM Scam: See The New Method Used By Fraudsters / Beware Of This Message Being Circulated By BVN Fraudsters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Bank Insiders Help Fraudsters Steal Billions by Omooba77: 6:10am On Jan 24, 2015
How bank insiders help fraudsters steal billions
Despite multiple security checks in banks, incidents of fraud are on the increase, prompting the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) to raise alarm, blaming it on insiders. Weekly Trust takes a look at the disturbing trend.

Since e-banking commenced some years ago, banking operations and services to customers have been made easier. But despite the smoothness and comfort on offer, there are also setbacks and risks the banks and customers face from time to time.

Investigations indicate a rise in fraudsters cashing in on modern technology to fleece unsuspecting depositors. Weekly Trust spoke to a banker in one of the leading commercial banks in Nigeria, who craved anonymity, and he confirmed the rise of insider collaborators in fraud. He noted that the network of criminals is so strong that it is extremely difficult to pin down the culprits.

The source said the most elementary aspect of the fraud is wilful neglect of checking and confirmation of personal data and addresses of fresh bank customers who want to open new accounts. “There is a policy called “Know Your Customer” (KYC). It is expected that any person who comes to open a new bank account is only granted that opportunity upon confirmation by his account officer the accuracy of the information he has rendered in his personal data form, especially his office and residential address.  But in most cases, customers who are fraudsters who come to open accounts and have connivers within, give fake information,” he said.

“Without necessary confirmation, the conniver goes ahead to open such accounts, which are used in defrauding people. In effect, when fraud happens, the suspects cannot be located with the addresses in personal data forms. He stands a better chance of evading prosecution at this point,” the source added.

Another source disclosed that would-be fraudsters who have insiders approach the bank with account numbers and other details of persons they know are flush with cash. “They come and pretend that they have forgotten the signature they signed for the account in question. They request that the manifest be opened for them to see their signature and remember. Once the insider opens the manifest, the fraudster could also request to snap the signature with his phone, under the pretext that he doesn’t want to forget it again. These are questionable demands, but the insider grants it because they are in collaboration. Of course, we know there are expert forgers,” he explained.

In another case, a man who operated an account with a commercial bank (name withheld) with a heavy base in the North had N2.1 million withdrawn from his account by fraudsters.
The man, who pleaded anonymity, said he had N3.2 million in his account and went to withdraw N200,000. He had not withdrawn cash for a while, noting that the transaction was done. But since his GSM number which receives SMS alerts was inoperative, he requested for written balance, only to discover that N2.1 million had been withdrawn.
“I raised alarm and upon investigation by the management of the bank, it was discovered that someone forged my bank documents, impersonated me with an identity card and also cloned my GSM line. The money was transferred into an account in Abuja, but I couldn’t get the alert. The bank later discovered I never made the transfer or withdrawals and refunded my money, but it suspended the cashier who authorized the payment,” the victim said.
Weekly Trust gathered that fraud within the banking sector manifests at different levels and it is systemic in nature. A source said bank staff would not ordinarily open doors for a thief to come in and steal money from the vault. He said what obtains is that corrupt bank staff carefully arrange for a lapse to occur, so they can explore that window.

Also, a recently retired senior manager with one of the old generation banks who prefers to be identified simply as Mustapha said experience tells him it is almost impossible to hit any bank without internal assistance. “One of the common examples of fraud amongst the top officers of banks is in approving fraudulent loans for their proxies. They register companies in the name of their friends or families, put documents together and approve huge sums to these companies which largely exist only on paper.” Then they go ahead  to approve all manner of concessions and waivers, practically giving themselves these monies, robbing the bank of legitimate income. Billions of naira get stolen this way, accumulatively.

Investigation also revealed that even where these companies truly exist with verifiable business on ground, they cannot access bank loans on record time without reaching a compromise with the bank officials on what percentage they will get as kick-backs. “In doing so, even where there are danger signals to warrant reconsideration, they will be overlooked and approval will be given,” another source added.

A chartered accountant and auditor, Mr. Sunday Enenche said a good number of the high-profile fraud cases are executed by top management staff of banks, with bank management using their branches to warehouse large sums for politicians and other highly placed individuals in the society. According to him, these monies are not captured in the books of the banks because they could raise suspicion by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), saying it denies the bank of income.

“With the cooperation and understanding of the bank management, they move these sums around from time to time to avoid Central Bank of Nigeria’s (CBN) unscheduled inspection. You will rarely see the real owners of these monies in the banking hall, as they have their agents who are well-known by the banks and can access these monies at any time of the day,” he added.
Worried by the increasing cases of fraud, the CBN on January 19 through a circular issued a directive urging banks to take steps to curb the trend. The directive, signed by Mr. Dipo Fatokun, Director, Banking and Payment System Department, also stated that the abuses center on identity theft and abuse of authorization. The apex bank therefore announced measures to check such and gave a December 31, 2015 time limit for compliance by all banks or a N50,000 fine daily after the expiration of the deadline.

Experts argue that what you get with the lower ranks of bank officials is not frequent and they also come in various forms because the opening is not always there. They insist that in some cases, double deductions occur on same amount on an account where the customer has made same type of deductions, by not crediting the customer’s account with deposits, yet issuing a teller to the customer. They could also connive with robbers to hit the banks premises or bullion vans if they notice that guards are loose on certain days or times. There are also cases of signature forgery and altered cheques.

But Mustapha cautioned that whereas banks keep updating their fraud counter-mechanisms, a lot more depend on the integrity and prudence of the staff to succeed. The banks may need to also reconsider the current practice of contract workers who handle transactions far above their pay grades. “You cannot employ a graduate, place him on contract and pay him less than 50 percent of what a similar graduate in the same system earns, who is not on.

http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/weekly/index.php/top-stories/18851-how-bank-insiders-help-fraudsters-steal-billions

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Bank Insiders Help Fraudsters Steal Billions by kilokeys(m): 6:42am On Jan 24, 2015
interesting article..

thats what u get when u employ pple bent on surviving over pple with a passion for the job

they would surely engineer their way into pple's account, zoologilize (sic) the banking industry.

lol same thing happens in the Army

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Bank Insiders Help Fraudsters Steal Billions by Nobody: 6:47am On Jan 24, 2015
too long 4 me to read o sad

14 Likes

Re: How Bank Insiders Help Fraudsters Steal Billions by Beesluv: 7:22am On Jan 24, 2015
Too rampant these days. That's why customers are advised to request for SMS or email alert

3 Likes

Re: How Bank Insiders Help Fraudsters Steal Billions by Innodon(m): 8:16am On Jan 24, 2015
Okay.
Re: How Bank Insiders Help Fraudsters Steal Billions by BokoHaramm: 8:16am On Jan 24, 2015
The biggest fraud I've read was when GMB took loan to buy presidential form without any collateral. It made nonsense of every prudential guideline in the banking sector.

56 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Bank Insiders Help Fraudsters Steal Billions by Nobody: 8:17am On Jan 24, 2015
At times, they withdraw your money without you getting an alert.

1 Like

Re: How Bank Insiders Help Fraudsters Steal Billions by BokoHaramm: 8:18am On Jan 24, 2015
Bankers trying to meet up with their lifestyles commit fraud to do it

3 Likes

Re: How Bank Insiders Help Fraudsters Steal Billions by englishmart(m): 8:18am On Jan 24, 2015
as if I won't do same if I had the chance

6 Likes

Re: How Bank Insiders Help Fraudsters Steal Billions by Nobody: 8:18am On Jan 24, 2015
All I want to see is Buhari's original WASC Certificate.

Is that so much to ask for?

Because, I will never allow Nigeria to be ruled by a Fulani herdsman that
can't even remember the name of his own VP.

30 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How Bank Insiders Help Fraudsters Steal Billions by jingh(f): 8:19am On Jan 24, 2015
and this made news
don't you all know that STEALING IS NOT CORRUPTION

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Bank Insiders Help Fraudsters Steal Billions by frodobee: 8:19am On Jan 24, 2015
These frauds you mentioned are all baby frauds, archaic and less technology dependent.
Talk about hacking a bank's database and fleecing 2.3billion in 48hours or more depending on the number of BDC's, staff and fleecing partners. (Bdc# bureau de change). Notable example is Union Bank. OP are you willing?

2 Likes

Re: How Bank Insiders Help Fraudsters Steal Billions by mtprofessor5(m): 8:20am On Jan 24, 2015
I just don't see myself working in a bank even if it is CBN
Re: How Bank Insiders Help Fraudsters Steal Billions by ignis: 8:20am On Jan 24, 2015
With the comments above, it's obvious that most people didn't even read the article before commenting.

Nairaland - A forum where people comment by just looking at the topic and type whatever things that comes to their mind.

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Bank Insiders Help Fraudsters Steal Billions by Jossylard2(m): 8:20am On Jan 24, 2015
Wetin our eyes no go see
Re: How Bank Insiders Help Fraudsters Steal Billions by Francon(f): 8:21am On Jan 24, 2015
Where's the integrity? So we can't trust them with our monies again?. Maybe hiding my money underground will remain my best alternative

1 Like

Re: How Bank Insiders Help Fraudsters Steal Billions by Misogynist2014(m): 8:21am On Jan 24, 2015
Lessons learnt.
Re: How Bank Insiders Help Fraudsters Steal Billions by mrbillz(m): 8:21am On Jan 24, 2015
Re: How Bank Insiders Help Fraudsters Steal Billions by martincbarton: 8:21am On Jan 24, 2015
hmmmm

Re: How Bank Insiders Help Fraudsters Steal Billions by Descartes: 8:21am On Jan 24, 2015
“One of the common
examples of fraud amongst the
top officers of banks is in
approving fraudulent loans for
their proxies."-Alh. Mustapha. Buhari Presidential form loan comes to mind.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Bank Insiders Help Fraudsters Steal Billions by BokoHaramm: 8:22am On Jan 24, 2015
Erotic it dAngelina:
too long 4 me to read o sad
it doesn't talk about sex, gossip and innundo so it looks long to you. See ya life

7 Likes

Re: How Bank Insiders Help Fraudsters Steal Billions by englishmart(m): 8:22am On Jan 24, 2015
Alexkene:
All I want to see is Buhari's original WASC Certificate.

Is that so much to ask for?

Because, I will never allow Nigeria to be ruled by a Fulani herdsman that
can't even remember the name of his own VP.

even if Jonathan had not contested, Buhari still wouldn't win

16 Likes

Re: How Bank Insiders Help Fraudsters Steal Billions by Tonischuller(m): 8:22am On Jan 24, 2015
Just a little piece first.....so I cud go back nd read dah textbook up der shocked
Re: How Bank Insiders Help Fraudsters Steal Billions by BokoHaramm: 8:23am On Jan 24, 2015
jingh:
and this made news
don't you all know that Sai Buhari even without certificate
. Thanks for reminding me, Has he paid the loan or what better name to call him than FRAUDSTER

1 Like

Re: How Bank Insiders Help Fraudsters Steal Billions by donklint86: 8:23am On Jan 24, 2015
Interesting article

1 Like

Re: How Bank Insiders Help Fraudsters Steal Billions by kandrus: 8:24am On Jan 24, 2015
Money makes the world go round

1 Like

Re: How Bank Insiders Help Fraudsters Steal Billions by Hackerjay(m): 8:24am On Jan 24, 2015
hmm

Re: How Bank Insiders Help Fraudsters Steal Billions by Nobody: 8:24am On Jan 24, 2015
Beesluv:
Too rampant these days. That's why customers are advised to request for SMS or email alert

dah one no be fraud nw......u neva hear say dem steal #20billion naira for c.b.n wey dey ibadan??
Re: How Bank Insiders Help Fraudsters Steal Billions by Wuuworld(m): 8:25am On Jan 24, 2015
The firewood of this World is for only those who can take heart,that is why not all can gather it......am very sure those bankers wanna milk from the Bank just the same way our Politicians milk from our mineral resources.....there is nothing wrong with doing what u can do best,BUT don't be caught

1 Like

Re: How Bank Insiders Help Fraudsters Steal Billions by Nobody: 8:25am On Jan 24, 2015
l better dig a hole in my room and hide my money there since bank are not sincere with depositors fund........ wink

1 Like

Re: How Bank Insiders Help Fraudsters Steal Billions by MacluvPH(m): 8:26am On Jan 24, 2015
This reminds me of one banker that used customers money to do some kind of personal transactions in First bank Ikot Abasi branch Akwa Ibom state two years ago but thank God for the professional action of the bank staff. Infact those set of staff then demanded a promotion.If not, "sorry" would have been the case of first bank customers in that branch.
Re: How Bank Insiders Help Fraudsters Steal Billions by eleojo23: 8:26am On Jan 24, 2015
The people perpetrating this acts are among those who bemoan what corruption has done to this country and they even accuse the government of not doing enough to fight corruption.

What hypocrisy!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Unusual Names Of CBN-Approved BDC Operators / Nigeria Asks Binance To Disclose Top 100 Users, Executives Remain Detained / See How To Register As An Uber Partner In Lagos Or Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.