Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,311 members, 7,808,050 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:56 AM

5 Reasons Why You Should Not Study Law In Nigeria - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 5 Reasons Why You Should Not Study Law In Nigeria (33964 Views)

University Courses That You Should Not Study - NUC / Courses You Should Not Study If You cannot hustle / Do You Want To Be A Millionaire? Do Not Study Medicine And These Courses- Forbes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Reasons Why You Should Not Study Law In Nigeria by nollyj: 2:23pm On Jan 24, 2015
The topic of this post will not go down well with many people who will stumble on this article. Before you start rising up your mouth in protest to this article I will like you to read in between the line and relax a bit, think over it before you comment. Please do not comment first and read later.

There is nothing wrong with Law as a profession. Through the practise of law, many people that were not guilty of the offences they were accused of regained their freedom although on a negative side, some were able to pay with their lives.

If you are studying Law in any Nigerian university and you are planning to practise Law in Nigeria, then this article is for you. Otherwise, if you are studying law for the purpose of knowledge and the accolade that goes with the profession, don't worry and don't let this post take away your sleep.

This post is not in any ways trying to discourage you from studying Law in Nigeria but a checklist list of things you might not have known or put into consideration before you started your journey.

Below are five reasons why you should not study law in Nigeria

Long training process
Law programme in Nigeria is among many other programmes that take a minimum of seven years to qualify. Yes I mean seven years when you factor in one year of National Service and another one year for Law School. It can spill over to eight or ten years if there is a prolong strike by universities in Nigeria or Failure in Law School and other unforeseen factors. After spending all these years in school your chances of getting a dream job is far-fetched and most that succeeded to attach themselves in a Law chambers are paid basically nothing.

Old aged rewarding profession
Law in Nigeria is an old age rewarding profession. You have to make your mark in the luminary environment with many successful cases to your belt before things will start to look promising for you. Although there are few exceptions, smart and street lawyers who focus on conventional areas like charge and bail, real estate and the likes can create a reasonable life for themselves. If you are attached to a chamber as a junior lawyer, most often your monthly pay will depend on number of cases you brought in that month. It takes years to become a Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN) which might give you that added advantage in your career success.

Underpaid Profession
Many lawyers struggle to pay for their basic monthly expenses. They hardly make enough money from their profession to buy a portable second-hand car. Recently, they have been many complain about how most banks in Nigeria treat their staff but when you put a junior banker and a junior practising law side-by-side you will see the difference immediately.

High unemployment rate / Respect
This particular situation is not peculiar to law profession in Nigeria. We knew that there is a high unemployment rate in Nigeria. But the sad part with lawyers is when their families have gathered resources and everything they have to train them for at least seven years with the hope of them contributing back to family growth, they live a life of excuses why things are not always working well. There is always a time limit for this kind of story, once the time is exceed lawyers usually use respect even in their very own family. Statement like this "no grammar bring money" will start to fizzle out from your loved ones.

Risk Factor
As a lawyer struggle with all these challenges of making it in law profession, you are always wary of the path you have cross. Most cases they handle in Nigeria come with huge risk especially political and family related cases. Imagine being in a profession where you barely make ends meet and you are also in danger of losing your life. It is something to reconsider.

We have rant about five reasons you have to reconsider before studying or practise law in Nigeria. Please note that one of the following listed attributes below have helped some lawyers sail through this path unscratched.

1. Family connection (with established law firm or name)
2. Exceptional skills
3. Luck

Please share your comment here. No insult

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Not Study Law In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:43pm On Jan 24, 2015
I disagree with your fifth point.

Your knowledge of the various kinds of Law is limited, I see.

It is, however a nice write-up.
There are risks, but nothing good comes easy.

6 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Not Study Law In Nigeria by BeeBeeOoh(m): 2:47pm On Jan 24, 2015
Ok. So now tell me which course I should study in Nigeria

5 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Not Study Law In Nigeria by mastercee(m): 4:51pm On Jan 24, 2015
I won't be surprised if I get to see a thread on Nairaland stating "5 Reasons Why You Should Not Study Medicine in Nigeria"

Abeg! Which course come dey lucrative for this our country?

2 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Not Study Law In Nigeria by mifavour(f): 4:51pm On Jan 24, 2015
booked!
Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Not Study Law In Nigeria by hazyfm1: 4:51pm On Jan 24, 2015
Interesting
Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Not Study Law In Nigeria by overlord29(m): 4:51pm On Jan 24, 2015
hehe!

3 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Not Study Law In Nigeria by Vivly(f): 4:52pm On Jan 24, 2015
Ok. So I guess all law students will withdraw after reading this.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Not Study Law In Nigeria by Burger01(m): 4:52pm On Jan 24, 2015
BeeBeeOoh:
Help me ask him..

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Not Study Law In Nigeria by free2ryhme: 4:53pm On Jan 24, 2015
nollyj:
The topic of this post will not go down well with many people who will stumble on this article. Before you start rising up your mouth in protest to this article I will like you to read in between the line and relax a bit, think over it before you comment. Please do not comment first and read later.

There is nothing wrong with Law as a profession. Through the practise of law, many people that were not guilty of the offences they were accused of regained their freedom although on a negative side, some were able to pay with their lives.

If you are studying Law in any Nigerian university and you are planning to practise Law in Nigeria, then this article is for you. Otherwise, if you are studying law for the purpose of knowledge and the accolade that goes with the profession, don't worry and don't let this post take away your sleep.

This post is not in any ways trying to discourage you from studying Law in Nigeria but a checklist list of things you might not have known or put into consideration before you started your journey.

Below are five reasons why you should not study law in Nigeria

Long training process
Law programme in Nigeria is among many other programmes that take a minimum of seven years to qualify. Yes I mean seven years when you factor in one year of National Service and another one year for Law School. It can spill over to eight or ten years if there is a prolong strike by universities in Nigeria or Failure in Law School and other unforeseen factors. After spending all these years in school your chances of getting a dream job is far-fetched and most that succeeded to attach themselves in a Law chambers are paid basically nothing.

Old aged rewarding profession
Law in Nigeria is an old age rewarding profession. You have to make your mark in the luminary environment with many successful cases to your belt before things will start to look promising for you. Although there are few exceptions, smart and street lawyers who focus on conventional areas like charge and bail, real estate and the likes can create a reasonable life for themselves. If you are attached to a chamber as a junior lawyer, most often your monthly pay will depend on number of cases you brought in that month. It takes years to become a Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN) which might give you that added advantage in your career success.

Underpaid Profession
Many lawyers struggle to pay for their basic monthly expenses. They hardly make enough money from their profession to buy a portable second-hand car. Recently, they have been many complain about how most banks in Nigeria treat their staff but when you put a junior banker and a junior practising law side-by-side you will see the difference immediately.

High unemployment rate / Respect
This particular situation is not peculiar to law profession in Nigeria. We knew that there is a high unemployment rate in Nigeria. But the sad part with lawyers is when their families have gathered resources and everything they have to train them for at least seven years with the hope of them contributing back to family growth, they live a life of excuses why things are not always working well. There is always a time limit for this kind of story, once the time is exceed lawyers usually use respect even in their very own family. Statement like this "no grammar bring money" will start to fizzle out from your loved ones.

Risk Factor
As a lawyer struggle with all these challenges of making it in law profession, you are always wary of the path you have cross. Most cases they handle in Nigeria come with huge risk especially political and family related cases. Imagine being in a profession where you barely make ends meet and you are also in danger of losing your life. It is something to reconsider.

We have rant about five reasons you have to reconsider before studying or practise law in Nigeria. Please note that one of the following listed attributes below have helped some lawyers sail through this path unscratched.

1. Family connect (with establish law firm or name)
2. Exceptional skills
3. Luck

Please share your comment here. No insult

which school did you go to undecided
Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Not Study Law In Nigeria by Bennyberry(m): 4:53pm On Jan 24, 2015
In all u've said..i hereby rule that,
There are three sorts of lawyers -The able,the unable and the lamentable.
Tho i stil tink LAW is a noble profession but a very tough one if u want to succeed.
A Lawyer will do anything to win a case, sometimes he will even tell the truth.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Not Study Law In Nigeria by eleojo23: 4:54pm On Jan 24, 2015
This basically applies to most courses in Nigeria so no one should study any professional course in Nigeria then undecided

It is not a good situation though but the hard truth that this brings out is that you will have to look beyond your certificate in order to succeed because it may not guarantee what you hope for. Personal development is required.

Until the system is corrected, these issues will continue to exist.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Not Study Law In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:54pm On Jan 24, 2015
Smh gidigan. Whoever will make it, will make it, irrespective of his/her profession.

Ordinary certificate won't put money on your table but skills & talent.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Not Study Law In Nigeria by nami117(m): 4:54pm On Jan 24, 2015
only came to comment tanks sha
Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Not Study Law In Nigeria by liveyourlife: 4:55pm On Jan 24, 2015
Caught!

Everything you the Op said is Null and Void ab initio..

1. If you study law abroad, forget working in Nigeria. Its just like learning how to fish and you get employed at ,Microsoft. Nna, your skills are almost non Transferrable because their Statutes and Legislations are essentially different from ours.

If if you study law in South-West and Want to practice in South-South, lots of Laws will be different.
Thats why u attend 2Yrs. law school if you study abroad.

1.1: Most of what the op said applies in other countries. In other places, a youngie who is just called to bar is no match for a seasoned lawyer. Just like the time you go to barb your hair and they bring one small boy to do it, u dey agree?

2. Quote me on this. IT IS MORE EXPENSIVE. GOOGLE IT. Student loan go kill you almost $400,000 for everything in USA and England (which other place u wan go before, Belarus?)

3. Lawyers crawling everywhere. EVERYWhere! Law hasn't bottom to saturation in Nigeria. Its just like being an engineer in Nigeria. Engineers are everywhere.

4. Smart lawyers can survive here better than Abroad. Cus lots of their lawyers are smart. Here, lawyers can graduate with a Pass! Na him wan handle your case?

5. Going to Law School there is just like there is just like Medical School Here. Demonically stressfulllll.

With the above submission, I rest my case! Thanks.

Modified:
Due to some pressing conditions, I am forced against my will to ask the students on this thread to visit http:// Classroom .ng-
re-imagine education.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Not Study Law In Nigeria by iyatrustee(f): 4:55pm On Jan 24, 2015
Better change the title to why you should not study in Nigerian universities if you think these are peculiar to Law alone.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Not Study Law In Nigeria by pabon(m): 4:55pm On Jan 24, 2015
Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Not Study Law In Nigeria by steppin: 4:56pm On Jan 24, 2015
BeeBeeOoh:
Study Zoology.
Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Not Study Law In Nigeria by bokohalal(m): 4:56pm On Jan 24, 2015
Only number one made little sense. Even at that, many legal jurisdictions only offer application to study law to those who already have a first degree.
Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Not Study Law In Nigeria by pekeyim: 4:56pm On Jan 24, 2015
Ok,
I'll do smth else
Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Not Study Law In Nigeria by badassProdigy(m): 4:57pm On Jan 24, 2015
dis is not true Op
Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Not Study Law In Nigeria by Moslaw: 4:58pm On Jan 24, 2015
Well, This still, does not take away the importance of the noble law profession anyway.

Every profession has it's pros and cons.

So long as the state exists, the law and those who are trained to practice it will forever remain an indispensable part of it.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Not Study Law In Nigeria by dechandel(f): 4:58pm On Jan 24, 2015
Not only for law students!!
But then again, you are right!!
The only peeps who visits courts for adjudication these days are the election tribunals!!
Nigerian's take laws into their own hands thereby;rendering the lawyers pennyless..

Most of the students studying law today see no future in a court sef
They only wanna get the degree and the perks of being addressed as a barrister.. And thats it!!

5 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Not Study Law In Nigeria by Babysho(m): 5:01pm On Jan 24, 2015
Spacebookd for Buhari
Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Not Study Law In Nigeria by KenSaroWiwa: 5:02pm On Jan 24, 2015
Jonathan fĂșcked things up. Vote for change in the educational sector, vote for Buhari...
SAI Buhari
Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Not Study Law In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:03pm On Jan 24, 2015
New trend in kano. Picked the pic from die hard PDP in kano.

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Not Study Law In Nigeria by manneger2: 5:03pm On Jan 24, 2015
I neva lik law as profession

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Over 20 UNN Students Dead In Car Accident While Travelling / Buhari: Only University Lecturers On IPPIS Would Get Salaries / Several Nigerians Graduate From University Of The West Of Scotland

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.