Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,443 members, 7,808,581 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:44 PM

A Car OR A Piece Of Land: Which Would You Buy First, And Why? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / A Car OR A Piece Of Land: Which Would You Buy First, And Why? (11343 Views)

Nigerian Man Surprises His Mother With A Car (pics, Video) / Children Found In The Booth Of A Car At Transamadi Port Harcourt Today / Would You Buy This For Your 14 Year Old Son/daughter? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Car OR A Piece Of Land: Which Would You Buy First, And Why? by DanjaNinja(m): 3:04pm On Jan 24, 2015
Am not certain if this is the right place for this topic. If it isn't, i apologize for my error.

[size=14pt]Dear Nairalanders, i 'd be glad if you can share your thoughts and opinions on this issue. A car or A piece of land, which would you buy "first".
Thanks. grin
[/size]
Re: A Car OR A Piece Of Land: Which Would You Buy First, And Why? by OgenemaroKessy(m): 3:08pm On Jan 24, 2015
A car. I prefer Car cos it's a necessity and it can generate immediate income in case you lost your job, but if your job is the type that is secured then I can buy land First. Land is investment bit Car is a necessity and alternative source of income incase. Not the big cars thou.

3 Likes

Re: A Car OR A Piece Of Land: Which Would You Buy First, And Why? by elantraceey(f): 3:13pm On Jan 24, 2015
Apart from the fact that i have a thing for cars , i'll buy a car first because i totally hate the inconvenience that accompany jumping from one bus to another and aside that just as the poster above me stated , car is a necessity.
Re: A Car OR A Piece Of Land: Which Would You Buy First, And Why? by ArchEnemy(m): 3:15pm On Jan 24, 2015
Difficult to say, because it ll depend on how huge and regular ones income is, status and the nature of ones work.
Car offers mobility and could make ones work and life easier. However if all I need is just some form of investment, I ll go for the land.
All depends on my priority at that moment

1 Like

Re: A Car OR A Piece Of Land: Which Would You Buy First, And Why? by tolutweety(m): 3:16pm On Jan 24, 2015

See question... ?? ?? ?? shocked shocked shocked
I ll keep my comment for now.... lemme read other pple's comment first.
Re: A Car OR A Piece Of Land: Which Would You Buy First, And Why? by ifex370(m): 3:22pm On Jan 24, 2015
space
Re: A Car OR A Piece Of Land: Which Would You Buy First, And Why? by Spicylate(f): 3:28pm On Jan 24, 2015
A Car. coz it will save time, energy and money and with that will be able to purchase a land. afterall, i will need the car to easily move to different locations to sight-see the land i want to purchase.

3 Likes

Re: A Car OR A Piece Of Land: Which Would You Buy First, And Why? by Elparaiso(m): 3:34pm On Jan 24, 2015
Sha na land sure pass

1 Like

Re: A Car OR A Piece Of Land: Which Would You Buy First, And Why? by Elparaiso(m): 3:47pm On Jan 24, 2015
ifex370:
space
Mr Ifex don even buy land for Here....

Simply telling you say na land sure pass..
Nairaland people sha

1 Like

Re: A Car OR A Piece Of Land: Which Would You Buy First, And Why? by lilmax(m): 3:47pm On Jan 24, 2015
Depends on your salary
Re: A Car OR A Piece Of Land: Which Would You Buy First, And Why? by Nobody: 3:54pm On Jan 24, 2015
OP, buying car requires a budget for fuel and maintanance.
Please go for the land first, you may decide selling it later with a profit.
OP? Think well and you will thank me later.

3 Likes

Re: A Car OR A Piece Of Land: Which Would You Buy First, And Why? by LaRoyalHighness(f): 3:59pm On Jan 24, 2015
An average car is a necessity to me.... Car first biko... I no dey for that old school mentality of land first.

I said average car ooo... Not range rover when you are staying in a rented apartment.

1 Like

Re: A Car OR A Piece Of Land: Which Would You Buy First, And Why? by Eastherbunny(m): 4:04pm On Jan 24, 2015
This kind question self if I buy the car were I wan park am. Except am not considering building at the time otherwise I definitely go for a car. Abi you want my landlord to think his charm is working.
Re: A Car OR A Piece Of Land: Which Would You Buy First, And Why? by eleojo23: 4:06pm On Jan 24, 2015
I would suggest you go for a piece of land because a car is more of a liability since it requires maintenance. But a piece of land is an asset whose value increases with time.
But then again, it depends on the amount you have and whether buying a car is really a necessity for you to go about your daily business from which you make your livelihood. Some people need a personal car to be able to go to work. But if the car is not so much of a necessity at the moment, you should buy the land and sell it after a few years, you will surely make profit that will enable you buy a car (the worth of the land depends on the location though).

3 Likes

Re: A Car OR A Piece Of Land: Which Would You Buy First, And Why? by Hollyb(f): 4:54pm On Jan 24, 2015
eleojo23:
I would suggest you go for a piece of land reason being that a car is more of a liability because it requires maintenance. But a piece of land is an asset whose value increases with time.
But then again, it depends on the amount you have and whether buying a car is really a necessity for you to go about your daily business from which you make your livelihood. Some people need a personal car to be able to go to work. But if the car is not so much of a necessity at the moment, you should buy the land and sell it after a few years, you will surely make profit that will enable you buy a car (the worth of the land depends on the location though).
seconded
Re: A Car OR A Piece Of Land: Which Would You Buy First, And Why? by ifex370(m): 7:13pm On Jan 24, 2015
Elparaiso:

Mr Ifex don even buy land for Here....

Simply telling you say na land sure pass..
Nairaland people sha

My brother, na land sure pas oo...

that's the difference between an asset and a liability
Re: A Car OR A Piece Of Land: Which Would You Buy First, And Why? by Nobody: 7:32pm On Jan 24, 2015
As a starter, I will go for some plots of land without thinking twice.. Car is a liability. .Car depreciates but land mostly appreciates...

I can only get a car if I have made enough investments and have a regular stream of income....

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Car OR A Piece Of Land: Which Would You Buy First, And Why? by tolutweety(m): 8:43pm On Jan 24, 2015
@DanjaNinja

I ll give you a detailed response and allow you make your call :

_Do you earn more than half a million naira monthly @ ur present place of work.. ?
_Do you have other sources of income that can comfortably take care of all the car running & maintenance expenses without affecting your standard of living @ the moment ?
_Peradventure you're laid off @ your present place of work RIGHT NOW, will you still be able to live and maintain your life @ this present standard and not sell the car off after some months ?
_If the car is mainly for convenience and ease of movement from one place to another , would you die of the inconvenience and stress if you delayed the car purchase by a year ?

If any of the above answer is a NO, then..I guess i don't need to spill it out for you again ! .

ADDENDUM
_A land bought in the right choice of location has a chance of yielding more than 100% interest in the next few years depending on some other factors.
_There are other assets you could build aside the purchase of land and would yield good return in a yr or more .
_Never ever buy a car or any other liability from your savings or a loan; Ensure the money comes only from the interest/dividend from investments or/and returns from your assets.Invariably, It means build your asset base FIRST !
_Lastly, Don't allow a lady/woman influence your final decision. 'Most' will go the comfortability route.Only a few like @marvellousGod above will understand with you.

TENK .

9 Likes 4 Shares

Re: A Car OR A Piece Of Land: Which Would You Buy First, And Why? by AZeD1(m): 9:16pm On Jan 24, 2015
MarvellousGod:
As a starter, I will go for some plots of land without thinking twice.. Car is a liability. .Car depreciates but land mostly appreciates...

I can only get a car if I have made enough investments and have a regular stream of income....
Car is not necessarily a liability, the best deals (politics and business) usually occur at night....
Also if you've dealt with "omo onile" in Lagos, then you'll know sometimes its not worth the stress of getting a land when you are not ready to build.

OP, Analyse your financial situation and immediate needs and make a decision.
Re: A Car OR A Piece Of Land: Which Would You Buy First, And Why? by tolutweety(m): 9:32pm On Jan 24, 2015
AZeD1:

Car is not necessarily a liability, the best deals (politics and business) usually occur at night....
Also if you've dealt with "omo onile" in Lagos, then you'll know sometimes its not worth the stress of getting a land when you are not ready to build.

OP, Analyse your financial situation and immediate needs and make a decision.

@bolded: No matter how good the price is Or how best the deal is in getting the car, Will you be able to sell it at a higher cost or the same amount next year after usage ?? I DOUBT !
The only benefit you get is the satisfaction and comfort .That doesn't necessarily make it an asset ,BY MY DEFINITION.

@coloured : Quite true ! There are ways around it tho' and there other things the OP could do, should he decide not to go for a land, that will yield good returns.

3 Likes

Re: A Car OR A Piece Of Land: Which Would You Buy First, And Why? by Nobody: 9:56pm On Jan 24, 2015
Spicylate:
A Car. coz it will save time, energy and money and with that will be able to purchase a land. afterall, i will need the car to easily move to different locations to sight-see the land i want to purchase.
What the... grin

4 Likes

Re: A Car OR A Piece Of Land: Which Would You Buy First, And Why? by tolutweety(m): 10:00pm On Jan 24, 2015
Timbuktou:
What the... grin

grin grin grin
Thought i was the only one who saw that !
Re: A Car OR A Piece Of Land: Which Would You Buy First, And Why? by Nobody: 10:02pm On Jan 24, 2015
tolutweety:

grin grin grin
Thought i was the only one who saw that !
Nna, eh. We learn everyday. grin
Re: A Car OR A Piece Of Land: Which Would You Buy First, And Why? by tolutweety(m): 10:05pm On Jan 24, 2015
Timbuktou:
Nna, eh. We learn everyday. grin
Some ladies ehnn...and their way of reasoning .smh undecided
Re: A Car OR A Piece Of Land: Which Would You Buy First, And Why? by Nobody: 10:26pm On Jan 24, 2015
@ tolutweety, smiley smiley smiley smiley kiss kiss..

You gave a detailed explanation. ..

@Azed1, the piece of land mustn't be purchased in Lagos na.. undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: A Car OR A Piece Of Land: Which Would You Buy First, And Why? by Spicylate(f): 10:29pm On Jan 24, 2015
Timbuktou:
What the... grin
toh you re-arrange am for me. No vex.
Re: A Car OR A Piece Of Land: Which Would You Buy First, And Why? by tolutweety(m): 10:39pm On Jan 24, 2015
MarvellousGod:
@ tolutweety, smiley smiley smiley smiley kiss kiss..

You gave a detailed explanation. ..
smiley smiley kiss kiss

Always Always dearie wink

1 Like

Re: A Car OR A Piece Of Land: Which Would You Buy First, And Why? by AZeD1(m): 10:53pm On Jan 24, 2015
tolutweety:

@bolded: No matter how good the price is Or how best the deal is in getting the car, Will you be able to sell it at a higher cost or the same amount next year after usage ?? I DOUBT !
The only benefit you get is the satisfaction and comfort .That doesn't necessarily make it an asset ,BY MY DEFINITION.

@coloured : Quite true ! There are ways around it tho' and there other things the OP could do, should he decide not to go for a land, that will yield good returns.

I meant the best business deals happen at night so the car might be a necessity.

1 Like

Re: A Car OR A Piece Of Land: Which Would You Buy First, And Why? by JEITO: 12:18am On Jan 25, 2015
I'll go for a land. A car can be an immediate investment, but one thing with cars is that it depreciate rapidly unlike land which usually appreciate with time in most cases.

As for the inconvenience, it will be worth it after a while.

Again, I don't think a car is a necessity for starters since there's always an alternative. But with the land, you can choose to sell later, rent it or even build on it and it will be great gain.
Re: A Car OR A Piece Of Land: Which Would You Buy First, And Why? by Nobody: 3:19am On Jan 25, 2015
Not to downplay the value of owing property, but I think the answer is obvious: Car first. Land later.

1 Like

Re: A Car OR A Piece Of Land: Which Would You Buy First, And Why? by ilori1930(m): 9:45am On Jan 25, 2015
Spicylate:

yeeepa! shocked
Re: A Car OR A Piece Of Land: Which Would You Buy First, And Why? by ilori1930(m): 9:50am On Jan 25, 2015
God bless you tolutweety

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Screenshots Of A Whatsapp Chat Between A 'broke,' Guy And His Girlfriend / Do You Love Anyone Unconditionally? / Letting Your 4-Year-Old Son Live As A Girl...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.