Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,432 members, 7,808,545 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:17 PM

12 Things You Didnt Know About Nigeria - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 12 Things You Didnt Know About Nigeria (32255 Views)

12 Things To Remember In Life / What You Didnt Know About Traditional Dressing Of The U.A.E. / 10 Unbelievable But True Facts About Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 12 Things You Didnt Know About Nigeria by Tintinnoty(m): 2:41pm On Jan 27, 2015
Ishilove:
Let our minds be opened to the fact that us Africans were socially and technologically advanced before the invasions of the imperialist overlords.

If you haven't read Walter Rodney's classic, "How Europe Underdeveloped Africa" then you are on a very long thing. You are missing. Read and let your eyes be opened. When you do you will stop feeling inferior to other races (something which often times we subconsciously display by mimicking aspects of their cultures to the detriment of ours).

read it way bak in skul is an informative piece from Rodney
Re: 12 Things You Didnt Know About Nigeria by Mhizkel(f): 2:42pm On Jan 27, 2015
Op u try, gud work!m proudly yoruba..
Re: 12 Things You Didnt Know About Nigeria by Jokay07(m): 2:42pm On Jan 27, 2015
iphanyiuma:
How does this change the fact that dollar is increasing and our forrkin naira is dropping ?
tell naira to climb ladder
Re: 12 Things You Didnt Know About Nigeria by Akuneshiobike(m): 2:43pm On Jan 27, 2015
How does these help to fight the high-rising bribery,corruption and economic downtime in Nigeria.
We need change!
Re: 12 Things You Didnt Know About Nigeria by Nobody: 2:47pm On Jan 27, 2015
Very educative post.. please keept it up, i had to google eredo
Re: 12 Things You Didnt Know About Nigeria by Nobody: 2:53pm On Jan 27, 2015
Benin wall
Eredo
Oldest canoe in the world

2 Likes

Re: 12 Things You Didnt Know About Nigeria by whitestar01(m): 2:54pm On Jan 27, 2015
interesting things dat I Neva knew but wat about corruption?
Re: 12 Things You Didnt Know About Nigeria by mmsen: 2:57pm On Jan 27, 2015
Really good post OP.

Makes a pleasant change from all the self-loathing.

Good job.
Re: 12 Things You Didnt Know About Nigeria by Nobody: 2:57pm On Jan 27, 2015
On Listverse there was an article on 10 Brave Warrior Classes Of World History and the Kanuri Calvary came up at number 1
the Kanuri Calvary
The European colonialists who went to battle in North Africa in the mid-19th century must have thought they had traveled back in time when they were confronted by the elite cavalry of the Kanuri people.

They soon learned not to laugh.
The Kanuri people lived northeast of Lake Chad in Kanem-Bornu, a kingdom that existed from the ninth to the 19th century. While the court was officially Islamic, the mai (king) also recognized and permitted traditional beliefs.
The kingdom was dissolved by French colonialists in 1900.
At its height, it had expanded as far as the Niger River to the west, Wadiai to the east, and the Fezzan to the north.They did all this with the help of the Kanuri cavalrymen. The soldiers and their horses were both clad head to toe in an astonishingly strong quilted cotton or padded armor, wielding swords and lances. The cavalrymen in many regions had helms made with brass and ostrich feathers but generally did not carry shields.
Some places, particularly Cameroon, had access to mail armor as well, and all were elaborately decorated with a rich variety of symbols and patterns based primarily on clan membership. The Bornu horsemen also boasted trumpeters, who led the troops into battle.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 12 Things You Didnt Know About Nigeria by Nobody: 3:00pm On Jan 27, 2015
God,I can't believe I just read these factsundecidedwhat a waste of time..
Re: 12 Things You Didnt Know About Nigeria by dexentity: 3:02pm On Jan 27, 2015
Ishilove:
Let our minds be opened to the fact that us Africans were socially and technologically advanced before the invasions of the imperialist overlords.

If you haven't read Walter Rodney's classic, "How Europe Underdeveloped Africa" then you are on a very long thing. You are missing. Read and let your eyes be opened. When you do you will stop feeling inferior to other races (something which often times we subconsciously display by mimicking aspects of their cultures to the detriment of ours).

'HOW EUROPE UNDERDEVELOPED AFRICA' is a book all africans must read.

2 Likes

Re: 12 Things You Didnt Know About Nigeria by mmsen: 3:02pm On Jan 27, 2015
Nobleval:
God,I can't believe I just read these factsundecidedwhat a waste of time..

Why is knowledge a waste of time?

Please explain.
Re: 12 Things You Didnt Know About Nigeria by mmsen: 3:04pm On Jan 27, 2015
whitestar01:
interesting things dat I Neva knew but wat about corruption?

You think corruption is unique to Nigeria?

Welcome to Chicago - http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magazine/December-2010/Why-Is-Illinois-So-Corrupt-Local-Government-Experts-Explain/

2 Likes

Re: 12 Things You Didnt Know About Nigeria by Iamvictor(m): 3:10pm On Jan 27, 2015
[quote author=lilbabyak post=30180285]oyinbo GOD dey.[/quo
Re: 12 Things You Didnt Know About Nigeria by Nobody: 3:17pm On Jan 27, 2015
dexentity:

'HOW EUROPE UNDERDEVELOPED AFRICA' is a book all africans must read.
how did the Europeans underdevelop your primitive continent Mr?
Re: 12 Things You Didnt Know About Nigeria by Ranchhoddas: 3:18pm On Jan 27, 2015
UrbanMystique:
says someone that believed jesus is superior to ogun
Classic!
Re: 12 Things You Didnt Know About Nigeria by Nobody: 3:24pm On Jan 27, 2015
I have always known this nation to be one of the most blessed and resourceful on earth. I can bet you that you ain't seen nothing yet.

2 Likes

Re: 12 Things You Didnt Know About Nigeria by dexentity: 3:24pm On Jan 27, 2015
Nobleval:
how did the Europeans underdevelop your primitive continent Mr?

Funny
Grab a copy of the book and read before asking me such primitive question Mr.

1 Like

Re: 12 Things You Didnt Know About Nigeria by liveyourlife: 3:24pm On Jan 27, 2015
Ishilove:

I felt a Kindred Spirit towards you on discovery that you have read that book too. Andre Gunder Frank's - The Development of Underdevelopment is also instructive here.

1 Like

Re: 12 Things You Didnt Know About Nigeria by seguntijan(m): 3:26pm On Jan 27, 2015
This is a message from the APC Presidential
Candidate Gen. Buhari "Fellow Nigerian, People
accuse me of many things. But one thing they
never accuse me of is corruption. They never
accuse me of mediocrity, or of lying. People
accuse me of many things. I have led this country
and I have a record. We were not perfect, but we
were effective; we solved problems, and we made
Nigerians proud. In our government, we fought
corruption, we stabilised the Naira, and we shut
down insurgencies. We shouldn't forget so soon
that there was the Maitatsine ravaging the North
east and we dealt with it. We also overran the
Chadian rebels.We rebuilt industries, Nigerians
queued up and treated each other with respect;
Nigerians took pride in our reputation for
discipline. The world admired us. We were proud
to be Nigerians. However, because they can't
attack our record, they accuse me falsely of
ethnic jingoism; they accuse me falsely of
religious fundamentalism. Because they cannot
attack our record, they accuse us falsely of
calling for election violence - when we have only
insisted on peace. Even as Head of State, we
never imposed Shariah. All my running mates have
been either Igbo or Yoruba and are always devout
Christian of indisputable repute. I have and will
continue to condemn those who burn God's places
of worship, be they churches or mosques and wish
God's judgment upon them. As your President,
their punishment won't stop there, we will also
ensure Boko Haram and other such elements, are
found, are arrested and face the full wrath of the
law as punishment for their crimes against our
country. My dear friends, this is very important to
note: It doesn’t matter if you are Igbo,Yoruba,
Ijaw, Hausa, Idoma, Efik, Ekwere, Urhobo, Igala
and, no, it does not matter if you are Christian,
Muslim,animist or atheist: we need a new
direction under a new leadership. The task ahead
will be challenging and daunting, but it is
surmountable. This is what leadership is about.
My only desire is to prove to you that Nigeria can
truly work. Allow me prove to you that in your
lifetime, you can be proud of this country. Let me
make you this promise today: We will protect your
children. We will protect your wealth. We will
make this country work again. This is why I am
running for the office of the president of Nigeria.
This is my promise." - Muhammadu Buhari
(GCFR). Let's spread this simple message of hope
and truth. Help translate it to all our indigenous
languages, let's all obtain our PVC, pray for
peace, go out on the 14th of FeBuhari, 2015 to
vote for a change that will bring true liberation to
Nigeria and all Nigerians. This is our civic
responsibility. Thank you and God bless
Re: 12 Things You Didnt Know About Nigeria by Nobody: 3:27pm On Jan 27, 2015
Abiagirl777:
Ftc

Anyway I'm first woman to comment on this thread.it''ll go down in history

Hip!......Hip!!......Hip!!!!!!! Hurray!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can we share the largesse? shocked
Re: 12 Things You Didnt Know About Nigeria by Ishilove: 3:28pm On Jan 27, 2015
liveyourlife:

I felt a Kindred Spirit towards you on discovery that you have read that book too. Andre Gunder Frank's - The Development of Underdevelopment is also instructive here.
I've been meaning to get it but I haven't had the time to enter a bookshop. smiley
Re: 12 Things You Didnt Know About Nigeria by obanqua(m): 3:30pm On Jan 27, 2015
Ishilove:

Here is a link to the book; http://www.blackherbals.com/walter_rodney.pdf
Re: 12 Things You Didnt Know About Nigeria by Coolguy89(m): 3:32pm On Jan 27, 2015
Nice one bro,#proudlyHistorian grin

2 Likes

Re: 12 Things You Didnt Know About Nigeria by mailmiyes(f): 3:34pm On Jan 27, 2015
BORING ACTUALLY
hazyfm1:
NOTED
Re: 12 Things You Didnt Know About Nigeria by Elcapo(m): 3:35pm On Jan 27, 2015
afolag:
The last line open my mind to something I suspect over a period of time. that yoruba language is spoken in some america movies, Bourne identity, Fat girls, lost, and many more could this be true or just a coincidence?

The Blacklist too
Re: 12 Things You Didnt Know About Nigeria by hazyfm1: 3:37pm On Jan 27, 2015
mailmiyes:
BORING ACTUALLY

SO BORING
Re: 12 Things You Didnt Know About Nigeria by Nobody: 3:37pm On Jan 27, 2015
Elcapo:

The Blacklist too
av u watched EXAM?
Re: 12 Things You Didnt Know About Nigeria by nicerod(m): 3:40pm On Jan 27, 2015
picture of ngeria or i dnt bliv uu ooo grin grin grin grin
Re: 12 Things You Didnt Know About Nigeria by anibestlala(m): 3:41pm On Jan 27, 2015
Ishilove:

you are right, Africans have lost their sense of dignity due to their impoverished conditions. it's sad to know that some tribes take pride in referring to themselves as next to the Caucasians as though they are inferior to them. our leaders have not helped matters.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Alaafin Of Oyo, Adeyemi And His Wives At Oranyan 2016 Gbegiri Day / Rainstorm Destroys Oba Adekunle Oyelude Makama Tegbosun's Palace On Osun / Some Yoruba Words I Wish To Know In English

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.