Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,579 members, 7,809,098 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:05 PM

12 Things You Didnt Know About Nigeria - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 12 Things You Didnt Know About Nigeria (32256 Views)

12 Things To Remember In Life / What You Didnt Know About Traditional Dressing Of The U.A.E. / 10 Unbelievable But True Facts About Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 12 Things You Didnt Know About Nigeria by Mattpopson101: 5:19pm On Jan 27, 2015
Interesting.
Re: 12 Things You Didnt Know About Nigeria by cromz(m): 5:31pm On Jan 27, 2015
Sorry to say this might sound tribalistic but on this list the igbos have achieved the least could this mean that Igbo were savages before the white man came

1 Like

Re: 12 Things You Didnt Know About Nigeria by makazona(m): 6:19pm On Jan 27, 2015
such interesting topics will be adourning d fp after d campaigns/elections...i cant wait to read other intellectually rewarding articles.

not party this.party that.certificate this.clueless that etc

2 Likes

Re: 12 Things You Didnt Know About Nigeria by makazona(m): 6:21pm On Jan 27, 2015
cromz:
Sorry to say this might sound tribalistic but on this list the igbos have achieved the least could this mean that Igbo were savages before the white man came

history is open-ended dear.
Re: 12 Things You Didnt Know About Nigeria by Nobody: 6:31pm On Jan 27, 2015
cromz:
I read somewhere that igbo slaves taken to America formed held their hands in a circular manner and went to the missippi river singing drowned themselves after embarking from the ship.they would rather be dead than slaves. It happened in 1803 and it's called ebo landing. I think that was heroic

1 Like

Re: 12 Things You Didnt Know About Nigeria by Nobody: 6:36pm On Jan 27, 2015
Sorry in Georgia and it was the first freedom march in the history of America. Amongst the slave was a high priest

1 Like

Re: 12 Things You Didnt Know About Nigeria by opulent16(f): 6:38pm On Jan 27, 2015
afolag:
The last line open my mind to something I suspect over a period of time. that yoruba language is spoken in some america movies, Bourne identity, Fat girls, lost, and many more could this be true or just a coincidence?
yoruba and pigin was also spoken in twin mission
Re: 12 Things You Didnt Know About Nigeria by PreciousBeauty(f): 6:38pm On Jan 27, 2015
Nyc info

1 Like

Re: 12 Things You Didnt Know About Nigeria by Nobody: 6:38pm On Jan 27, 2015
Their act of courage inspired other slaves and famous writers like alex haley. The site of their death is a tourist attraction

1 Like

Re: 12 Things You Didnt Know About Nigeria by simdam500(m): 7:04pm On Jan 27, 2015
Am a proud Nigerian cheesy

1 Like

Re: 12 Things You Didnt Know About Nigeria by Nobody: 7:07pm On Jan 27, 2015
Extra ordinary great country,reason why the west beef Nigeria alot.
phymeon:

Source: http://howng.com/12-things-didnt-know-nigeria/

Re: 12 Things You Didnt Know About Nigeria by bobchigar(m): 7:34pm On Jan 27, 2015
I'm proud to be a Nigerian
Re: 12 Things You Didnt Know About Nigeria by RAO1(m): 7:41pm On Jan 27, 2015
Naago (tnx )
Re: 12 Things You Didnt Know About Nigeria by PrinxPeera(m): 8:33pm On Jan 27, 2015
This is so educating
Re: 12 Things You Didnt Know About Nigeria by talk9ice(m): 8:52pm On Jan 27, 2015
Ishilove:
Let our minds be opened to the fact that us Africans were socially and technologically advanced before the invasions of the imperialist overlords.

If you haven't read Walter Rodney's classic, "How Europe Underdeveloped Africa" then you are on a very long thing. You are missing. Read and let your eyes be opened. When you do you will stop feeling inferior to other races (something which often times we subconsciously display by mimicking aspects of their cultures to the detriment of ours).

Wow! Thanks guy. Please how can I get the book?

1 Like

Re: 12 Things You Didnt Know About Nigeria by Nobody: 10:08pm On Jan 27, 2015
I love Nigeria
Re: 12 Things You Didnt Know About Nigeria by otokx(m): 10:17pm On Jan 27, 2015
Nice
Re: 12 Things You Didnt Know About Nigeria by Ethereal0110(f): 10:40pm On Jan 27, 2015
Lovely.. But this stil does not change my feelings about this country.....

1 Like

Re: 12 Things You Didnt Know About Nigeria by logica(m): 11:56pm On Jan 27, 2015
WORLDPEACE:

You know the west always tries to explain any kind of development in black africa with the hamitic hypothesis. Now that there is no such resemblance here they have to go as far away as the incas; a people without iron technology before contact with the europeans.
I schooled in Ife and you can still see the potsherd pavements in certain areas buried under the ground exposed by erosion. having been thought about it in a history class, it brought tears to my eyes when i stumbled on it in front of my house. tradition has it that it was constructed by the only female ooni in Ife history.
Hmm. I school in Ife and apparently I was too self-absorbed that I never heard about this. I will look more into this.
Re: 12 Things You Didnt Know About Nigeria by logica(m): 11:59pm On Jan 27, 2015
ehie:
I read somewhere that igbo slaves taken to America formed held their hands in a circular manner and went to the missippi river singing drowned themselves after embarking from the ship.they would rather be dead than slaves. It happened in 1803 and it's called ebo landing. I think that was heroic
Sorry to douse your fire, but here we are talking about historic achievements from various ethnic groups in Nigeria. Enslavement and committing suicide does not figure here. If you have any such history of the Igbo (not those taken away as slaves) please share.

1 Like

Re: 12 Things You Didnt Know About Nigeria by Trinxie(f): 12:00am On Jan 28, 2015
Ishilove:
Let our minds be opened to the fact that us Africans were socially and technologically advanced before the invasions of the imperialist overlords.

If you haven't read Walter Rodney's classic, "How Europe Underdeveloped Africa" then you are on a very long thing. You are missing. Read and let your eyes be opened. When you do you will stop feeling inferior to other races (something which often times we subconsciously display by mimicking aspects of their cultures to the detriment of ours).

Yep, Africans were technologically advanced...they even ruled the Americans then. They have been found in ancient books under the name "Moore". They were also described as Brown skinned people with wooly hair. BUT, they were SORT OF wicked...Erm, I meant REALLY wicked. They made the whites suffer...(So I heard and read). So I like to believe that Karma just served us(Africans) our piece of the cake(Slavery)...Just that their own revenge was E NO EASY kinda thing.
Re: 12 Things You Didnt Know About Nigeria by logica(m): 12:04am On Jan 28, 2015
afolag:
The last line open my mind to something I suspect over a period of time. that yoruba language is spoken in some america movies, Bourne identity, Fat girls, lost, and many more could this be true or just a coincidence?
What is the big deal in Yoruba being spoken in American movies? Many times when American movies cast a role for an "African" of ambiguous origin, it is filled by a Yoruba who of course speaks his vernacular (and of course they never bother to check the accuracy of the message he conveys).
Re: 12 Things You Didnt Know About Nigeria by WORLDPEACE(m): 12:10am On Jan 28, 2015
logica:
Hmm. I school in Ife and apparently I was too self-absorbed that I never heard about this. I will look more into this.
Even your lecturers and most of the natives won't.
Re: 12 Things You Didnt Know About Nigeria by logica(m): 12:12am On Jan 28, 2015
whitestar01:
interesting things dat I Neva knew but wat about corruption?
Corruption was alien to most African civilizations. Even stealing was taboo. These you can tell from the difference between how African civilizations lived and Europeans lived. For instance, Yoruba houses don't have doors or barricades. You are free to enter and exit. Compare to the European counterparts and see the difference. Also, when Yorubas encountered a stranger, they welcomed him. The ancient Europeans on seeing strangers quickly enter their homes and barricade themselves and their families.

Let me also mention that up till today, the practice of anonymous trading is still practiced in Japan. We also practiced this. Europeans of course always found this strange because honesty has never been natural to them. Anonymous trading is simply a manner of exchanging goods (usually farm produce) for money by leaving the product on a public road side piled on a mat and people pick what they want; placing money on the mat in exchange for the goods they pick. We could no longer practice this as we adopted the European systems and manner of living. The Japanese stayed true to their traditions while modernizing. That's the difference.
Re: 12 Things You Didnt Know About Nigeria by guyX(m): 1:16am On Jan 28, 2015
UrbanMystique:
right , you believe jesus was superior because jesus was part of your race or because those that enslaved your race for many years said jesus power was a super power over the god of your own race... keep deluding yourself.
All this talk about race. You sound Like a babalawo. except you use laptop for divination.
And my Lord Jesus is not described as 'was' but as the 'I am that I am'.
He is infinite and has no beginning or end.
Tell me, can you boast about your so called gods like this?

1 Like

Re: 12 Things You Didnt Know About Nigeria by Revolva(m): 1:49am On Jan 28, 2015
who cares this country don taya me since 1990...i dont care...mr OP...i already know all these
Re: 12 Things You Didnt Know About Nigeria by UrbanMystique: 8:27am On Jan 28, 2015
guyX:

All this talk about race. You sound Like a babalawo. except you use laptop for divination.
And my Lord Jesus is not described as 'was' but as the 'I am that I am'.
He is infinite and has no beginning or end.
Tell me, can you boast about your so called gods like this?
your god is nothing but a piece of man made garbage. take that to the bank while you delude yourself more.
Re: 12 Things You Didnt Know About Nigeria by RazziP(m): 11:28am On Jan 28, 2015
cry great Nigeria
Re: 12 Things You Didnt Know About Nigeria by mmsen: 11:30am On Jan 28, 2015
Funjosh:
How did we now lost all these history

You think they were 'lost' or were they hidden from you?

If a people do not know who they are they are more likely to accept bad ideas from outside.
Re: 12 Things You Didnt Know About Nigeria by guyX(m): 12:58pm On Jan 28, 2015
UrbanMystique:
your god is nothing but a piece of man made garbage. take that to the bank while you delude yourself more.
You win.
I no get your strength.
Re: 12 Things You Didnt Know About Nigeria by Nobody: 2:58pm On Jan 28, 2015
logica:
What is the big deal in Yoruba being spoken in American movies? Many times when American movies cast a role for an "African" of ambiguous origin, it is filled by a Yoruba who of course speaks his vernacular (and of course they never bother to check the accuracy of the message he conveys).
boys are not smiling. ..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Alaafin Of Oyo, Adeyemi And His Wives At Oranyan 2016 Gbegiri Day / Rainstorm Destroys Oba Adekunle Oyelude Makama Tegbosun's Palace On Osun / What You May Not Know About Americans

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.