Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,461 members, 7,808,643 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:44 PM

Why Does God Sometimes Hardens People's Heart? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Does God Sometimes Hardens People's Heart? (21667 Views)

Why God Sometimes Delays / Why Does God Sometimes Allow People To Be In Error? / Tips On How To Win People's Heart (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Does God Sometimes Hardens People's Heart? by clevvermind(m): 10:27am On Jan 25, 2015
let all the bible scholars come around to discuss this.
i need answers to this question?

look at those verses of scriptures.

3 And I will harden Pharaoh’s heart, and multiply My signs and My wonders in the land of Egypt. 4 But Pharaoh will not heed you, so that I may lay My hand on Egypt and bring My armies and My people, the children of Israel, out of the land of Egypt by great judgments. 5 And the Egyptians shall know that I am the LORD, when I stretch out My hand on Egypt and bring out the children of Israel from among them.” Exodus 7:3-5.

4 Then I will harden Pharaoh’s heart, so that he will pursue them; and I will gain honor over Pharaoh and over all his army, that the Egyptians may know that I am the LORD.” And they did so. 5 Now it was told the king of Egypt that the people had fled, and the heart of Pharaoh and his servants was turned against the people; and they said, “Why have we done this, that we have let Israel go from serving us?” 6 So he made ready his chariot and took his people with him. 7 Also, he took six hundred choice chariots, and all the chariots of Egypt with captains over every one of them. 8 And the LORD hardened the heart of Pharaoh king of Egypt, and he pursued the children of Israel; and the children of Israel went out with boldness. Exodus 14:4-8.

20 For it was of the LORD to harden their hearts, that they should come against Israel in battle, that He might utterly destroy them, and that they might receive no mercy, but that He might destroy them, as the LORD had commanded Moses. Joshua 11:20.

17 For the Scripture says to the Pharaoh, “For this very purpose I have raised you up, that I may show My power in you, and that My name may be declared in all the earth.”
18 Therefore He has mercy on whom He wills, and whom He wills He hardens. Romans 9:17-18.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Does God Sometimes Hardens People's Heart? by Precioussilas10: 10:53am On Jan 25, 2015
Taking this bible passage into consideration,will it be out of place to say that God controls our actions?..or in a more precise manner,we have been predestined to act in a particular way?

9 Likes

Re: Why Does God Sometimes Hardens People's Heart? by spyroet(m): 10:54am On Jan 25, 2015
yes ofcourse it is possible for God to harden people"s heart to fufill an ansignment,our mind is our soul and can be manipulated and control either for good or bad that why we must pray very hard n hav faith for we not to be control by evil being or spirit.but dwell in the holy ghost fire which can lead us in right direction.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Does God Sometimes Hardens People's Heart? by Pr0ton: 11:01am On Jan 25, 2015
He is just having fun.

12 Likes

Re: Why Does God Sometimes Hardens People's Heart? by clevvermind(m): 11:32am On Jan 25, 2015
spyroet:
yes ofcourse it is possible for God to harden people"s heart to fufill an ansignment,our mind is our soul and can be manipulated and control either for good or bad that why we must pray very hard n hav faith for we not to be control by evil being or spirit.but dwell in the holy ghost fire which can lead us in right direction.
so God can harden someone's heart to fulfil a particular assignment whether positive or negative?
Re: Why Does God Sometimes Hardens People's Heart? by MaziOmenuko: 11:33am On Jan 25, 2015
So much for freewill

4 Likes

Re: Why Does God Sometimes Hardens People's Heart? by clevvermind(m): 11:36am On Jan 25, 2015
Precioussilas10:
Taking this bible passage into consideration,will it be out of place to say that God controls our actions?..or in a more precise manner,we have been predestined to act in a particular way?
we have been programmed to act in a particular way like robots whether positive or negative.

5 Likes

Re: Why Does God Sometimes Hardens People's Heart? by Precioussilas10: 11:44am On Jan 25, 2015
clevvermind:
we have been programmed to act in a particular way like robots whether positive or negative.
If that's the case,we are not responsible for our actions...i hope to see the views of others

1 Like

Re: Why Does God Sometimes Hardens People's Heart? by clevvermind(m): 11:57am On Jan 25, 2015
Precioussilas10:
If that's the case,we are not responsible for our actions...i hope to see the views of others
it seems so. Pharaoh's heart was programmed in a particular way. so everything he was doing was based on how he was programmed. anyway, i would like to get other people's views about this as well.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Why Does God Sometimes Hardens People's Heart? by Truckpusher(m): 11:59am On Jan 25, 2015
clevvermind:

3 And I will harden Pharaoh’s heart, and multiply My signs and My wonders in the land of Egypt. 4 But Pharaoh will not heed you, so that I may lay My hand on Egypt and bring My armies and My people, the children of Israel, out of the land of Egypt by great judgments. 5 And the Egyptians shall know that I am the LORD, when I stretch out My hand on Egypt and bring out the children of Israel from among them.” Exodus 7:3-5.

4 Then I will harden Pharaoh’s heart, so that he will pursue them; and I will gain honor over Pharaoh and over all his army, that the Egyptians may know that I am the LORD.” And they did so. 5 Now it was told the king of Egypt that the people had fled, and the heart of Pharaoh and his servants was turned against the people; and they said, “Why have we done this, that we have let Israel go from serving us?” 6 So he made ready his chariot and took his people with him. 7 Also, he took six hundred choice chariots, and all the chariots of Egypt with captains over every one of them. 8 And the LORD hardened the heart of Pharaoh king of Egypt, and he pursued the children of Israel; and the children of Israel went out with boldness. Exodus 14:4-8.

20 For it was of the LORD to harden their hearts, that they should come against Israel in battle, that He might utterly destroy them, and that they might receive no mercy, but that He might destroy them, as the LORD had commanded Moses. Joshua 11:20.

17 For the Scripture says to the Pharaoh, “For this very purpose I have raised you up, that I may show My power in you, and that My name may be declared in all the earth.”
18 Therefore He has mercy on whom He wills, and whom He wills He hardens. Romans 9:17-18.

Just the way he has hardened Buhari's heart to contest again after failing thrice. grin

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Does God Sometimes Hardens People's Heart? by clevvermind(m): 11:59am On Jan 25, 2015
Pr0ton:
He is just having fun.
i don't get you.
Re: Why Does God Sometimes Hardens People's Heart? by clevvermind(m): 12:04pm On Jan 25, 2015
Truckpusher:
Just the way he has hardened Buhari's heart to contest again after failing thrice. grin
he will be destroyed like Pharaoh. grin

5 Likes

Re: Why Does God Sometimes Hardens People's Heart? by Pr0ton: 12:18pm On Jan 25, 2015
clevvermind:
i don't get you.

He feels bored and needs something to play with to keep himself kinda lively; by hardening people's heart so that they disobey, and then cast them to hell. It's all fun to Him. He is a loving God though.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Does God Sometimes Hardens People's Heart? by Pr0ton: 12:25pm On Jan 25, 2015
Precioussilas10:

Yh. He makes you a sinner, condemns you as a sinner and sends you to hell for being a sinner. But you yourself don't understand what is going on. That's why it's called mystery. Remain blessed.

8 Likes

Re: Why Does God Sometimes Hardens People's Heart? by adexsimply(m): 12:31pm On Jan 25, 2015
clevvermind:
So, what happened to freewill?

1 Like

Re: Why Does God Sometimes Hardens People's Heart? by clevvermind(m): 12:36pm On Jan 25, 2015
Pr0ton:

He feels bored and needs something to play with to keep himself kinda lively; by hardening people's heart so that they disobey, and then cast them to hell. It's all fun to Him. He is a loving God though.
you know we humans don't have the right to question God.

20 But indeed, O man, who are you to reply against God? Will the thing formed say to him who formed it , “Why have you made me like this?” 21 Does not the potter have power over the clay, from the same lump to make one vessel for honor and another for dishonor? Romans 9:20-21.

1 Like

Re: Why Does God Sometimes Hardens People's Heart? by Hiswordxray(m): 12:40pm On Jan 25, 2015
Yes God can harden people heart but that is not an infringement on our free will. God can only harden the heart of those who had already harden their heart. God knows how weak people are and how they could easily run away from the problem they have put themselves into.
Pharaoh had already harden his heart towards God. And God being a righteous judge wanted to punish him severely but He knows that Pharaoh will easily give in if he sees just a little of God's judgment. So God had to harden his heart so that he could remain and continue in his evil until God had completely avenge His people by giving Pharaoh the fullness of the punishment he deserves.
So God's act of hardening Pharaoh's heart is His way of keeping Pharaoh in the prison until he had sever his time. Pharaoh had to remain in his evil works for God to have enough time to completely pour out His cup of wrath on him.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Does God Sometimes Hardens People's Heart? by adexsimply(m): 12:48pm On Jan 25, 2015
clevvermind:
you know we humans don't have the right to question God.

20 But indeed, O man, who are you to reply against God? Will the thing formed say to him who formed it , “Why have you made me like this?” 21 Does not the potter have power over the clay, from the same lump to make one vessel for honor and another for dishonor? Romans 9:20-21.
If you had the right, where would you direct the question to?

5 Likes

Re: Why Does God Sometimes Hardens People's Heart? by clevvermind(m): 12:51pm On Jan 25, 2015
Hiswordxray:
Yes God can harden people heart but that is not an infringement on our free will. God can only harden the heart of those who had already harden their heart. God knows how weak people are and how they could easily run away from the problem they have put themselves into.
Pharaoh had already harden his heart towards God. And God being a righteous judge wanted to punish him severely but He knows that Pharaoh will easily give in if he sees just a little of God's judgment. So God had to harden his heart so that he could remain and continue in his evil until God had completely avenge His people by giving Pharaoh the fullness of the punishment he deserves.
So God's act of hardening Pharaoh's heart is His way of keeping Pharaoh in the prison until he had sever his time. Pharaoh had to remain in his evil works for God to have enough time to completely pour out His cup of wrath on him.
ok. but you know God can create some people to act in a particular way whether positive or negative to fulfil a partcular purpose. they have been predestined.
Re: Why Does God Sometimes Hardens People's Heart? by adexsimply(m): 12:54pm On Jan 25, 2015
Hiswordxray:

What a merciful and loving God! cool
Wouldn't it have been easier if he had just used his omnipotent power to change Pharaoh's mind instead of allowing the carnage?

1 Like

Re: Why Does God Sometimes Hardens People's Heart? by clevvermind(m): 12:54pm On Jan 25, 2015
adexsimply:
If you had the right, where would you direct the question to?
since we don't see God, we have to direct it to humans to see if they can provide a suitable answer.
Re: Why Does God Sometimes Hardens People's Heart? by Hiswordxray(m): 12:55pm On Jan 25, 2015
clevvermind:
ok. but you know God can create some people to act in a particular way whether positive or negative to fulfil a partcular purpose. they have been predestined.
I don't know about predestination but I do believe God cannot infringe on our free will.

2 Likes

Re: Why Does God Sometimes Hardens People's Heart? by adexsimply(m): 12:58pm On Jan 25, 2015
clevvermind:
Are you by any chance pro-deterministic ?
Re: Why Does God Sometimes Hardens People's Heart? by clevvermind(m): 1:00pm On Jan 25, 2015
adexsimply:
Are you by any chance pro-deterministic ?
no. why do you ask?
Re: Why Does God Sometimes Hardens People's Heart? by clevvermind(m): 1:01pm On Jan 25, 2015
Hiswordxray:

I don't know about predestination but I do believe God cannot infringe on our free will.
ok
Re: Why Does God Sometimes Hardens People's Heart? by adexsimply(m): 1:07pm On Jan 25, 2015
clevvermind:
since we don't see God, we have to direct it to humans to see if they can provide a suitable answer.
Humans? now I'm lost.
Re: Why Does God Sometimes Hardens People's Heart? by adexsimply(m): 1:09pm On Jan 25, 2015
clevvermind:
no. why do you ask?
From your comments, I noticed you're trying to argue against freewill
Re: Why Does God Sometimes Hardens People's Heart? by Hiswordxray(m): 1:10pm On Jan 25, 2015
adexsimply:

What a merciful and loving God! cool
Wouldn't it have been easier if he had just used his omnipotent power to change Pharaoh's mind instead of allowing the carnage?
God is a God of principles. He had given men free will and he won't take it back. But if anybody need help in hardening their heart then God and the power of darkness are willing to help that person.
God had made a spiritual law i.e nobody or power either in heaven or on heart can do anything to you accept you allow it or encourage it.
But if you want to be righteous and show love to others then God can also fill your heart with so much love that it will overflow through you and towards others.

So which do you want?
Do you want to harden your heart (God can help you with that).
Or do you want to be faithful to God and pour out His love to people around you (God can also help you with that).
But one thing God can't do is to break His law and infringe on your free will.
You have the right to choose and acquire help to be faithful to your choice.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Does God Sometimes Hardens People's Heart? by BabaGnoni: 1:19pm On Jan 25, 2015
clevvermind:

3 And I will harden Pharaoh’s heart, and multiply My signs and My wonders in the land of Egypt.
4 But Pharaoh will not heed you, so that I may lay My hand on Egypt and bring My armies and My people, the children of Israel, out of the land of Egypt by great judgments.
5 And the Egyptians shall know that I am the LORD, when I stretch out My hand on Egypt and bring out the children of Israel from among them.”
- Exodus 7:3-5.

4 Then I will harden Pharaoh’s heart, so that he will pursue them; and I will gain honor over Pharaoh and over all his army,
that the Egyptians may know that I am the LORD.” And they did so.
5 Now it was told the king of Egypt that the people had fled, and the heart of Pharaoh and his servants was turned against the people;
and they said, “Why have we done this, that we have let Israel go from serving us?”
6 So he made ready his chariot and took his people with him.
7 Also, he took six hundred choice chariots, and all the chariots of Egypt with captains over every one of them.
8 And the LORD hardened the heart of Pharaoh king of Egypt, and he pursued the children of Israel; and the children of Israel went out with boldness.
- Exodus 14:4-8.

20 For it was of the LORD to harden their hearts, that they should come against Israel in battle, that He might utterly destroy them,
and that they might receive no mercy, but that He might destroy them, as the LORD had commanded Moses.
- Joshua 11:20.

17 For the Scripture says to the Pharaoh,
“For this very purpose I have raised you up, that I may show My power in you, and that My name may be declared in all the earth.”
18 Therefore He has mercy on whom He wills, and whom He wills He hardens.
Romans 9:17-18

clevvermind:
it seems so. Pharaoh's heart was programmed in a particular way.
so everything he was doing was based on how he was programmed.

anyway, i would like to get other people's views about this as well.

- EXCERPT -

oic again, as I thought you did know...

It is very similar to what happened to Pharaoh.
Both minds have already been made up
there is no point wasting time and effort on either anymore,
as they both were hellbent
(i.e. both were determined to achieve at all costs what they've set their minds on to do)

The answers lie in the following verses:

But I will make Pharaoh's heart stubborn so I can multiply my miraculous signs and wonders in the land of Egypt.
- Exodus 7:3 NLT

But the LORD hardened Pharaoh's heart, and just as the LORD had predicted to Moses, Pharaoh refused to listen.
- Exodus 9:12 NLT

23He replied, “One of you who has just eaten from this bowl with me will betray me.
24For the Son of Man must die, as the Scriptures declared long ago.
But how terrible it will be for the one who betrays him.
It would be far better for that man if he had never been born!”
25Judas, the one who would betray him, also asked, “Rabbi, am I the one?”
And Jesus told him, “You have said it.”

- Matthew 26:23-25 NLT

When Judas had eaten the bread, Satan entered into him.
Then Jesus told him,
"Hurry and do what you're going to do."

- John 13:27 NLT

Judas like Pharaoh, can be compared with wet sponges...
Wet sponges that want to dry out the water keeping them wet, which eventually ends to getting hardened up
but are kept from drying up and hardening
by God keeping them wet through continually pouring water on the sponges
The moment God cuts off the stream of water pouring on them,
the sponges in a matter of time will dry out, harden up and be brittle

Have you ever tried pottery,
where you put the clay on the pottery wheel to make a vase
The clump of clay is always resisting you shaping it into the vase
The clump of clay will fall off the pottery wheel unfinished and damaged, the moment you let go your hands in molding it
Keep your hands on it until the end, you'll have a beautiful vase

Another analogy, is this:
Kid A and kid B, are sizing each other up, breathing into each one's face, each raring for a fight
Right at the nick of time, you step in to prevent the fight starting
but kid B, will not have none of that as adrenalin and testosterone is pumping high
Kid B is spoiling for the fight, despite all appeal or effort to prevent it
Everyone knows kid B is no match for Kid A, as kid A will beat the living day lights out of kid B
but kid B does NOT agree nor wants to know (i.e. kid B is hellbent, determined to fight at all costs, not matter what)
In effect, kid B's heart is hardening for/to fight
You harden kid B's heart, the moment you step back and allow kid B to have the fight, he's so much set his heart on

That's how Pharaoh's heart got hardened (i.e. the restraining, like in the case of kid B, was let off)
and similar happened to Judas, he was let go (i.e. as he was a lost cause, who couldn't be changed for the better)

https://www.nairaland.com/1820451/judas-iscariot-really-villain#24836472

- /EXCERPT-

Nothing to do with Pharaoh been programmed at all...
Pharaoh was a willing participant,
Pharaoh was raring to go bad.
God didn't like that, and so God was holding Pharaoh back nevertheless God eventually obliged him
and made do of the circumstances or made the best of it

PS: When God hands off one, then He allows the heart of whose He has taken His hands off to harden

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Does God Sometimes Hardens People's Heart? by adexsimply(m): 1:31pm On Jan 25, 2015
BabaGnoni:

- EXCERPT -

oic again, as I thought you did know...

It is very similar to what happened to Pharaoh.
Both minds have already been made up
there is no point wasting time and effort on either anymore,
as they both were hellbent
(i.e. both were determined to achieve at all costs what they've set their minds on to do)

The answers lie in the following verses:

But I will make Pharaoh's heart stubborn so I can multiply my miraculous signs and wonders in the land of Egypt.
- Exodus 7:3 NLT

But the LORD hardened Pharaoh's heart, and just as the LORD had predicted to Moses, Pharaoh refused to listen.
- Exodus 9:12 NLT

23He replied, “One of you who has just eaten from this bowl with me will betray me.
24For the Son of Man must die, as the Scriptures declared long ago.
But how terrible it will be for the one who betrays him.
It would be far better for that man if he had never been born!”
25Judas, the one who would betray him, also asked, “Rabbi, am I the one?”
And Jesus told him, “You have said it.”

- Matthew 26:23-25 NLT

When Judas had eaten the bread, Satan entered into him.
Then Jesus told him,
"Hurry and do what you're going to do."

- John 13:27 NLT

Judas like Pharaoh, can be compared with wet sponges...
Wet sponges that want to dry out the water keeping them wet, which eventually ends to getting hardened up
but are kept from drying up and hardening
by God keeping them wet through continually pouring water on the sponges
The moment God cuts off the stream of water pouring on them,
the sponges in a matter of time will dry out, harden up and be brittle

Have you ever tried pottery,
where you put the clay on the pottery wheel to make a vase
The clump of clay is always resisting you shaping it into the vase
The clump of clay will fall off the pottery wheel unfinished and damaged, the moment you let go your hands in molding it
Keep your hands on it until the end, you'll have a beautiful vase

Another analogy, is this:
Kid A and kid B, are sizing each other up, breathing into each one's face, each raring for a fight
Right at the nick of time, you step in to prevent the fight starting
but kid B, will not have none of that as adrenalin and testosterone is pumping high
Kid B is spoiling for the fight, despite all appeal or effort to prevent it
Everyone knows kid B is no match for Kid A, as kid A will beat the living day lights out of kid B
but kid B does NOT agree nor wants to know (i.e. kid B is hellbent, determined to fight at all costs, not matter what)
In effect, kid B's heart is hardening for/to fight
You harden kid B's heart, the moment you step back and allow kid B to have the fight, he's so much set his heart on

That's how Pharaoh's heart got hardened (i.e. the restraining, like in the case of kid B, was let off)
and similar happened to Judas, he was let go (i.e. as he was a lost cause, who couldn't be changed for the better)

https://www.nairaland.com/1820451/judas-iscariot-really-villain#24836472

- /EXCERPT-

Nothing to do with Pharaoh been programmed at all...
Pharaoh was a willing participant,
Pharaoh was raring to go bad.
God didn't like that, and so God was holding Pharaoh back nevertheless God eventually obliged him
and made do of the circumstances or made the best of it
Nope, on the contrary, when you step back and allow kid B to fight, you're allowing him to choose(frrewill)
Re: Why Does God Sometimes Hardens People's Heart? by BabaGnoni: 1:44pm On Jan 25, 2015
adexsimply:
Nope, on the contrary, when you step back and allow kid B to fight, you're allowing him to choose(frrewill)

Which part or what's contradictory in the post?
Pharaoh was willing and eager to "fight". Yes? No?
But God stepped in holding Pharaoh's heart back from turning hard. Yes? No?
God eventually stepped back and respected Pharaoh's free will to go "fighting"
and his stubbornness to hardening up his soft heart. Yes? No?
God allowed Pharaoh to harden up his heart and this paved way for Pharaoh to "fight". Yes? No?

God was pouring fluid on Pharaoh's heart which kept it from hardening. Yes? No?
- just like one does in keeping a kitchen sponge wet or dripping by pouring water on it
Stop the flow on the sponge or Pharaoh's heart, what will happen?

1 Like

Re: Why Does God Sometimes Hardens People's Heart? by clevvermind(m): 2:12pm On Jan 25, 2015
adexsimply:
Humans? now I'm lost.
it seems i didn't get your question at first.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Mallam Yusuf Adepoju Of ACADIP Got Embarrassed By Muhammad Lifestyle / How I Escaped Hell- Sister Linda’s Testimony / 10 Categories Of People That Run From Church To Another For Miracles

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.