Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,458 members, 7,770,141 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 05:34 AM

Why Don't Pastors Preach These Verses? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Don't Pastors Preach These Verses? (5060 Views)

Why Don't Pastors Tithe? / Why Don't Nigerian pastors Preach Against Corruption? / Christians Please Explain These Verses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Don't Pastors Preach These Verses? by MaziOmenuko: 11:52am On Jan 25, 2015
Why don't pastors preach these verses?

Deuteronomy > 14.22 Thou shalt truly tithe all the increase of thy seed, that the field bringeth forth year by year.

Deuteronomy > 14.23 And thou shalt eat before the LORD thy God, in the place which he shall choose to place his name there, the tithe of thy corn, of thy wine, and of thine oil, and the firstlings of thy herds and of thy flocks; that thou mayest learn to fear the LORD thy God always.

Deuteronomy > 14.24 And if the way be too long for thee, so that thou art not able to carry it; or if the place be too far from thee, which the LORD thy God shall choose to set his name there, when the LORD thy God hath blessed thee:

Deuteronomy > 14.25 Then shalt thou turn it into money, and bind up the money in thine hand, and shalt go unto the place which the LORD thy God shall choose:

Deuteronomy > 14.26 And thou shalt bestow that money for whatsoever thy soul lusteth after, for oxen, or for sheep, or for wine, or for strong drink, or for whatsoever thy soul desireth: and thou shalt eat there before the LORD thy God, and thou shalt rejoice, thou, and thine household,

I was having a little talk with my colleague in the office. His rent was due and he claimed he had not enough money to pay. Then he mentioned his January salary would be going to the church so he has to await the february salary. I asked what he meant by the january salary going to church and he said its his first fruit!

Then we started talking about the first fruit and tithe. That was when the 3rd colleague entered and joined the conversation.

The 3rd guy was very angry that my colleague has been 'wasting' (as he called it) his money on tithes and firstfruits which he called Jewish laws. He insisted we are not practicing judaism but christianity.

Then he quoted the verses above and asked why our pastors don't teach them since we want to practice jewish laws. Honestly, those verses were very informing and hard to ignore. The only verse we hear when it comes to tithing is the Malachi verse about robbing God. Now this!!!

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Don't Pastors Preach These Verses? by MaziOmenuko: 11:59am On Jan 25, 2015
Going forward, the 3rd guy stressed that even we that practice tithing don't get it right. He said if we must practice the jewish tithing, then we 'MUST NOT' come with money as the only time money is allowed is when the place of tithing is far from where you live as mentioned in verse 24.

He went on to say that the only time a pastor (levite) is allowed to eat from your tithe is after every 3yrs; where you invite them, together with widows, orphans and strangers.

Deuteronomy > 14.28 At the end of three years thou shalt bring forth all the tithe of thine increase the same year, and shalt lay it up within thy gates:
Deuteronomy > 14.29 And the Levite, (because he hath no part nor inheritance with thee,) and the stranger, and the fatherless, and the widow, which are within thy gates, shall come, and shall eat and be satisfied; that the LORD thy God may bless thee in all the work of thine hand which thou doest.

Its easier to wish away those verses because of the indoctrination we've had overtime but there's a lot of conviction in those verse.

Why don't I hear these things from the pastors?

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Don't Pastors Preach These Verses? by naijareferee: 12:01pm On Jan 25, 2015
i think the issue of tithe is overflogged...i believe that what ever your heart sayest thou to do...do with all thy heart.
there is no singular method of tithingø my one cent

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't Pastors Preach These Verses? by clevvermind(m): 12:01pm On Jan 25, 2015
this one go hard them o.

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't Pastors Preach These Verses? by MaziOmenuko: 12:03pm On Jan 25, 2015
I've read threads where people ask if they can use their tithe to solve their own problems or that of a neighbour in need but were rebuked against doing such. This is contrary to what the scripture says.

Deuteronomy > 14.29 And the Levite, (because he hath no part nor inheritance with thee,) and the stranger, and the fatherless, and the widow, which are within thy gates, shall come, and shall eat and be satisfied; that the LORD thy God may bless thee in all the work of thine hand which thou doest.

The 3rd guy insisted that if we are allowed to eat the tithe to satisfy hunger (a physical need), why can't we use our tithe to satisfy other needs; be it house rent or help a neighbour in need as stated in the above verse; although his verdict remains that tithing is not a christian practice but if we must practice jew laws, then we must do it rightly as breaking one of the (jewish) laws is equivalent to breaking all.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Don't Pastors Preach These Verses? by clevvermind(m): 12:10pm On Jan 25, 2015
MaziOmenuko:
I've read threads where people ask if they can use their tithe to solve their own problems or that of a neighbour in need but were rebuked against doing such. This is contrary to what the scripture says.

The 3rd guy insisted that if we are allowed to eat the tithe to satisfy hunger (a physical need), why can't we use our tithe to satisfy other needs; be it house rent or help a neighbour in need as stated in the above verse; although his verdict remains that tithing is not a christian practice but if we must practice jew laws, then we must do it rightly as breaking one of the (jewish) laws is equivalent to breaking all.
you have a point here o. let's wait for the tithe preachers to debunk this.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Pastors Preach These Verses? by MaziOmenuko: 12:13pm On Jan 25, 2015
Then he said if we really want to give to God, there's only one sure way:

Matthew > 25.35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
Matthew > 25.37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
Matthew > 25.40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

Then I wondered why I've not been using my 'tithe' to help the poor around me

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Don't Pastors Preach These Verses? by Unionised(m): 12:14pm On Jan 25, 2015
Scholar!

There is the school of theology for those seeking more confusion.

Your friends First fruits would not work for him except he mixes it with faith.

The act is commendable though, but he needn't have told the faithless about it.

Iron sharpeneth iron.

Don't kill his small faith abeg.

The ways of God are a mystery...

6 Likes

Re: Why Don't Pastors Preach These Verses? by MaziOmenuko: 12:23pm On Jan 25, 2015
Unionised:
Scholar!
The ways of God are a mystery...

More mysterious than this:

Matthew > 25.40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

I don't see any mystery in those verses I was exposed to. No wonder the bible said 'Study to show thyself approved'.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Don't Pastors Preach These Verses? by MaziOmenuko: 12:25pm On Jan 25, 2015
clevvermind:
you have a point here o. let's wait for the tithe preachers to debunk this.

Its difficult to accept that what you've been taught and made to believe and practiced for the past over-20 yrs doesn't hold water.
I wanted to wish away those verses but it kept nagging until I got home and read it over and over again. Then I realized Christ, whom we preach, practice and derived our name from never thought about tithing; neither did any of the early apostles preach nor practiced it.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Don't Pastors Preach These Verses? by Macelliot(m): 12:29pm On Jan 25, 2015
I'm not anti-tithe, but I want us to reason....
In some churches, Tithe is being paid every sunday, but the Bible refer tithe as a 10% of your YEARLY income....
Re: Why Don't Pastors Preach These Verses? by MaziOmenuko: 12:30pm On Jan 25, 2015
Personally, my church is one of the biggest churches in Africa; the general oversea is one of the top-10 richest pastors in the world! The levites without inheritance are now the richest; while I have the poor scattered around me and yet I meticulously take 10% to them monthly

Jeeeeezzzzz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm going to start doing as Christ commanded in Mathew 25. At least I'm assured that when I give to the poor, fatherless and orphans, I'll be doing it unto Christ himself as he said!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Don't Pastors Preach These Verses? by udyheart01(m): 12:33pm On Jan 25, 2015
I dedicate this space to all my Theologists.
Re: Why Don't Pastors Preach These Verses? by IamDejman(m): 12:34pm On Jan 25, 2015
The Deuteronomy style of Tithing is different to the New testament. Study these verses smiley

Isaiah 43: 18-19
18 Remember ye not the former things, neither consider the things of old.

19 Behold, I will do a new thing; now it shall spring forth; shall ye not know it?...

Hebrews 7:5 -
And verily they that are of the sons of Levi, who receive the office of the priesthood, have a commandment to take tithes of the people according to the law, that is, of their brethren, though they come out of the loins of Abraham

Luke 18:12 - I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.

1 Corinthians Chapter 16: 1-2
1 Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given order to the churches of Galatia, even so do ye.

2 Upon the first [day] of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as [God] hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.

I pray you get inspirations from above in your cause of meditating on it. Amen

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Don't Pastors Preach These Verses? by Unionised(m): 12:36pm On Jan 25, 2015
MaziOmenuko:

More mysterious than this:

I don't see any mystery in those verses I was exposed to. No wonder the bible said 'Study to show thyself approved'.

Done what sir?

Faith is a personal thing.

Follow your own salvation with fear and trembling.

Let the spirit lead...
Re: Why Don't Pastors Preach These Verses? by thegoodone2(m): 12:48pm On Jan 25, 2015
go and read matthew 23: 23
Re: Why Don't Pastors Preach These Verses? by MaziOmenuko: 12:48pm On Jan 25, 2015
Unionised:

Done what sir?

Faith is a personal thing.

Follow workout your own salvation with fear and trembling.

Fixed cool

Unionised:

Let the spirit lead...

The spirit has led me to this and I'm at peace with it.
Re: Why Don't Pastors Preach These Verses? by thegoodone2(m): 12:48pm On Jan 25, 2015
go and read matthew 23: 23. its Jesus that talk there.
Re: Why Don't Pastors Preach These Verses? by MaziOmenuko: 12:53pm On Jan 25, 2015
thegoodone2:
go and read matthew 23: 23

Matthew > 23.23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

This actually buttressed the same point. The Pharisees and scribes payed tithes yet they got lashed by Jesus! If tithing was all-in-all, they wouldn't be rebuked that way.
Meanwhile, Jesus never taught tithing and I believe that's the only place he mentioned it and it was still in a nad light.
Christianity started 'AFTER' the death of Christ, not 'BEFORE'.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Don't Pastors Preach These Verses? by PastorOluT(m): 12:56pm On Jan 25, 2015
IamDejman:
The Deuteronomy style of Tithing is different to the New testament. Study these verses smiley

19 Behold, I will do a new thing; now it shall spring forth; shall ye not know it?...

And verily they that are of the sons of Levi, who receive the office of the priesthood, have a commandment to take tithes of the people according to the law, that is, of their brethren, though they come out of the loins of Abraham

1 Corinthians Chapter 16: 1-2
1 Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given order to the churches of Galatia, even so do ye.

2 Upon the first [day] of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as [God] hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.

I pray you get inspirations from above in your cause of meditating on it. Amen

So does the scripture mention anything about tithing, in fact cos of the doctrine of tithing men are not giving as they ought. If the teaching of givng (to the church n less previledged in n out of the church), those scriptures will be fully fulfilled. Present day preachers dont understand that when the true teaching about giving is elevated as against tithing, men will give more cos of understanding. As it is now many are just giving tithe cos some people says so n dont really understand the principle of giving.

Anyways the devil knows what the saints stand to gain reason he has all twisted.
Re: Why Don't Pastors Preach These Verses? by MaziOmenuko: 1:03pm On Jan 25, 2015
IamDejman:

This is laughable! Why do you think that verse was referring to tithe? I can as well say that I should not remember all the former things including tithing and firstfruits? Isn't it? Or is there a place it stated specifically that I should forget the old tithing method?

IamDejman:

Studying Hebrew 7 summarily stated the abolishing of the old law including tithing. I will not paste all the verses but I encourage anyone seeking knowledge to read it all. Here's a verse from there:

Hebrews > 7.18 For there is verily a disannulling of the commandment going before for the weakness and unprofitableness thereof.

Tithing was disannulled for its unprofitableness thereof.

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't Pastors Preach These Verses? by thegoodone2(m): 1:13pm On Jan 25, 2015
MaziOmenuko:

Matthew > 23.23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

This actually buttressed the same point. The Pharisees and scribes payed tithes yet they got lashed by Jesus! If tithing was all-in-all, they wouldn't be rebuked that way.
Meanwhile, Jesus never taught tithing and I believe that's the only place he mentioned it and it was still in a nad light.
Christianity started 'AFTER' the death of Christ, not 'BEFORE'.
not to leave the other undone. the other here is tithe.which mean he said we should be doing the two.
Re: Why Don't Pastors Preach These Verses? by PastorKun(m): 1:38pm On Jan 25, 2015
MaziOmenuko:

This is laughable! Why do you think that verse was referring to tithe? I can as well say that I should not remember all the former things including tithing and firstfruits? Isn't it? Or is there a place it stated specifically that I should forget the old tithing method?

Studying Hebrew 7 summarily stated the abolishing of the old law including tithing. I will not paste all the verses but I encourage anyone seeking knowledge to read it all. Here's a verse from there:

Hebrews > 7.18 For there is verily a disannulling of the commandment going before for the weakness and unprofitableness thereof.

Tithing was disannulled for its unprofitableness thereof.

Welcome to the anti tithe crusade smiley tithing remains the biggest fraud in the history of mankind.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Pastors Preach These Verses? by sekzy99(m): 2:31pm On Jan 25, 2015
Natin to add or deduct
Re: Why Don't Pastors Preach These Verses? by Nobody: 3:53pm On Jan 25, 2015
MaziOmenuko:
Personally, my church is one of the biggest churches in Africa; the general oversea is one of the top-10 richest pastors in the world! The levites without inheritance are now the richest; while I have the poor scattered around me and yet I meticulously take 10% to them monthly

Jeeeeezzzzz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm going to start doing as Christ commanded in Mathew 25. At least I'm assured that when I give to the poor, fatherless and orphans, I'll be doing it unto Christ himself as he said!
That is the Best thing to do.
After all, my master & mentor once said, & I quote: "Those Who Are well need no physician, it is the 'sick that need a physician".
You Are well on track, Brother!
Re: Why Don't Pastors Preach These Verses? by shegxi(m): 5:37pm On Jan 25, 2015
I have said it and will continue to say it; ORGANIZED RELIGION is a big time fraud.
Re: Why Don't Pastors Preach These Verses? by ibisko04: 5:58pm On Jan 25, 2015
Almighty God will direct you all to see the point and know the right way to go.
People can always twist the issue of tithe to suits their way.
One thing that I want everyone to know is that tithe as it goes nowadays is not going the way God want it.
How do you tell me my tithe is going the way of God when in my local congregation, people are seriously in need while my pastor is living in opulence.
Tithe is for the common good of the society.
If our Pastors pays attention to the biblical origin of tithe and the way it should go, the world problems will be half solved and the World will enjoy more peaceful coexistence.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Pastors Preach These Verses? by Nobody: 7:04pm On Jan 25, 2015
^^^^

I actually read this passage today and I believe it was talking about a Pharisee.the guy was not a Christian you know? he was a Jew who believed in mosaic laws.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Pastors Preach These Verses? by Warlord3000(m): 5:30am On Jan 26, 2015
Quite interesting and revealing..

Thank goodness... No time to argue..

Wetin I go dey do don dey my mind henceforth wink

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Pastors Preach These Verses? by zimoni(f): 10:48pm On Jan 30, 2015
A colleague at work yesterday came to my office to use my laptop to surf web. He brought a particular sheet of paper from where he copied the RCCG website for the payment of first fruit.

I was annoyed when I saw what the guy wanted to pay, all his salary for the month of January. He couldn't pay online because he didn't come to work with his mastercard, so he called a rccg guy on phone to direct him on how he could pay cash at either Zenith or UBA Bank(the two banks we saw on the website).

I wasn't happy but there was no way I could convince the guy, he's one of our Pastors at Padre Hour.

I'm a Christian, yet I'm a practical type.

I always use my brain to decide for myself, I don't follow what the Pastors say sheepishly. I even question some verses in Bible, let alone a Man of God or whatever they call themselves.

It's quite unfortunate that Churches are scamming people in broad daylight and some people are still PAYING.

I no fit PAY Layelaye.

I give out money a lot to the less privilege BUT not those Skammars who call themselves Pastors.

SKAMMAR............WATCH.

Mo Sanwo Ti L'ajah, I Pay Less.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Pastors Preach These Verses? by teewai3(m): 8:51am On Feb 02, 2015
hmmmmm, this is serious!!!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Can You Believe In God Without Religion ? / Td Jakes An Igbo Man / RCCG 50-days Fasting And Prayer 2024 Prayer Points

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.