Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,316 members, 7,808,067 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:32 AM

Names Of Things You Never Knew Had Names - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Names Of Things You Never Knew Had Names (3786 Views)

Things You Never Knew Had A Name:photos / 19 Everyday Things We Never Knew Had A Name / Did You Know These Everyday Things Had Names? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Names Of Things You Never Knew Had Names by Nobody: 6:20pm On Jan 26, 2015
1. AGLET
The plain or ornamental covering on the end of a shoelace.

2. ARMSAYE
The armhole in clothing.

3. CHANKING
Spat-out food, such as rinds or pits.

4. COLUMELLA NASI
The bottom part of the nose between the nostrils.

5. DRAGÉES
Small beadlike pieces of candy, usually silver-coloured, used for decorating cookies, cakes and sundaes.

6. FEAT
A dangling curl of hair.

7. FERRULE
The metal band on a pencil that holds the eraser in place.

8. HARP
The small metal hoop that supports a lampshade.

9. HEMIDEMISEMIQUAVER
A 64th note. (A 32nd is a demisemiquaver, and a 16th note is a semiquaver.)

10-13. JARNS, NITTLES, GRAWLIX and QUIMP
Various squiggles used to denote cussing in comic books.

14. KEEPER
The loop on a belt that keeps the end in place after it has passed through the buckle.

15. KICK or PUNT
The indentation at the bottom of some wine bottles. It gives added strength to the bottle but lessens its holding capacity.

16. LIRIPIPE
The long tail on a graduate's academic hood.

17. MINIMUS
The little finger or toe.

18. NEF
An ornamental stand in the shape of a ship.

19. OBDORMITION
The numbness caused by pressure on a nerve; when a limb is `asleep'.

20. OCTOTHORPE
The symbol `#' on a telephone handset. Bell Labs' engineer Don Macpherson created the word in the 1960s by combining octo-, as in eight, with the name of one of his favourite athletes, 1912 Olympic decathlon champion Jim Thorpe.

21. OPHRYON
The space between the eyebrows on a line with the top of the eye sockets.

22. PEEN
The end of a hammer head opposite the striking face.

23. PHOSPHENES
The lights you see when you close your eyes hard. Technically the luminous impressions are due to the excitation of the retina caused by pressure on the eyeball.

24. PURLICUE
The space between the thumb and extended forefinger.

25. RASCETA
Creases on the inside of the wrist.

26. ROWEL
The revolving star on the back of a cowboy's spurs.

27. SADDLE
The rounded part on the top of a matchbook.

28. SCROOP
The rustle of silk.

29. SNORKEL BOX
A mailbox with a protruding receiver to allow people to deposit mail without leaving their cars.

30. SPRAINTS
Otter dung.

31. TANG
The projecting prong on a tool or instrument.

32. WAMBLE
Stomach rumbling.

33. ZARF
A holder for a handleless coffee cup.

11 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Names Of Things You Never Knew Had Names by Nobody: 6:30pm On Jan 26, 2015
Thanks for enlightening me
Re: Names Of Things You Never Knew Had Names by valmunich(m): 6:43pm On Jan 26, 2015
Most of these words ain't pure English

1 Like

Re: Names Of Things You Never Knew Had Names by engrsoma(m): 6:44pm On Jan 26, 2015
Great
Re: Names Of Things You Never Knew Had Names by Nobody: 6:44pm On Jan 26, 2015
cool Harp..This word reminds me of 5th may 2007. I told my guys I could finish a crate of a beverage by the 'Harp'..They doubted my ability, so we had a bet..Suffice to say, I won the bet but almost lost my life..I got born again that Night..

1 Like

Re: Names Of Things You Never Knew Had Names by Nobody: 7:09pm On Jan 26, 2015
valmunich:
Most of these words ain't pure English
**Lol** the names sound funny doesn't it ?? Everybody can not graduate with a 1st class, or are u 1 grin grin

1 Like

Re: Names Of Things You Never Knew Had Names by hatux: 7:19pm On Jan 26, 2015
Good!
Re: Names Of Things You Never Knew Had Names by smsshola(m): 7:22pm On Jan 26, 2015
Nice one so educative..
Re: Names Of Things You Never Knew Had Names by OluBendel: 7:49pm On Jan 26, 2015
Educative. Well done!

1 Like

Re: Names Of Things You Never Knew Had Names by liveyourlife: 9:12pm On Jan 26, 2015
Adding to the Op's ministry,

1. Kworoption : The Fulanized version of the English word "Corruption".

2: Sheppotamus: The English Revised standard definition of the wife of a ruler in 'The Animal Kingdom".

3. Febuhari: When some foolish political propagandists rename a month in the Gregorian Calendar to suit their political ambitions.

Or

When to score cheap political points and make a psychological impression, change vectors Rename my Birth Month!

4: http:// - Email for students!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Names Of Things You Never Knew Had Names by liveyourlife: 9:13pm On Jan 26, 2015
http:// - Email for students!
Re: Names Of Things You Never Knew Had Names by Iytech(m): 9:56pm On Jan 26, 2015
Interesting and educative. Thumbs up, OP. I remember #9 from my music class in JSS.
Re: Names Of Things You Never Knew Had Names by Nobody: 10:01pm On Jan 26, 2015
Noted cheesy
Re: Names Of Things You Never Knew Had Names by Akshow: 10:25pm On Jan 26, 2015
nice. why is it not on front page? but if na tonto dike put new cloth e go reach front page

2 Likes

Re: Names Of Things You Never Knew Had Names by tzoracle: 10:25pm On Jan 26, 2015
I read all,but can't remember all

Btw,nice research
Re: Names Of Things You Never Knew Had Names by tzoracle: 10:26pm On Jan 26, 2015
Akshow:
nice. why is it not on front page? but if na tonto dike put new cloth e go reach front page

I crate of hero 4 u
Re: Names Of Things You Never Knew Had Names by Luizkid(m): 10:54pm On Jan 26, 2015
Ok o, but whats the name of the LINE that divides the Scrotal sac under d penis?
Re: Names Of Things You Never Knew Had Names by Nobody: 10:58pm On Jan 26, 2015
Nyz.

Tho I must confess, I forgot the names already undecided
Re: Names Of Things You Never Knew Had Names by Natasha2(f): 11:12pm On Jan 26, 2015
wow
Re: Names Of Things You Never Knew Had Names by Nobody: 11:43pm On Jan 26, 2015
Luizkid:
Ok o, but whats the name of the LINE that divides the Scrotal sac under d penis?
picture of the line that divide ur own scrotal sac grin grin or Adonbelive it

1 Like

Re: Names Of Things You Never Knew Had Names by Emodeee: 12:07am On Jan 27, 2015
Arms hole in clothes sounds lyk ALAMIEYESEIGHA
Re: Names Of Things You Never Knew Had Names by Emodeee: 12:13am On Jan 27, 2015
Cutehector4u:
Thanks for enlightening me

he enlightened u. Hp u r nw FANTAstic In complexion?
Re: Names Of Things You Never Knew Had Names by Emodeee: 12:16am On Jan 27, 2015
DDeliverer:
cool Harp..This word reminds me of 5th may 2007. I told my guys I could finish a crate of a beverage by the 'Harp'..They doubted my ability, so we had a bet..Suffice to say, I won the bet but almost lost my life..I got born again that Night..

full gist lah....
Re: Names Of Things You Never Knew Had Names by myouri(f): 4:49am On Jan 27, 2015
Only knew no.9 buh some are too long and difficult to remember sha.

No. 4 looks/sounds like a Calabar name cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Names Of Things You Never Knew Had Names by uchebest2006(m): 7:18am On Jan 27, 2015
You rily did welll!!! Nice one OP
Re: Names Of Things You Never Knew Had Names by tmotmo: 7:39am On Jan 27, 2015
educative!!!!!!
Re: Names Of Things You Never Knew Had Names by Samguine: 7:46am On Jan 27, 2015
Uhmm
Re: Names Of Things You Never Knew Had Names by Nobody: 8:43am On Jan 27, 2015
Issokay

1 Like

Re: Names Of Things You Never Knew Had Names by DonX001: 9:52am On Jan 27, 2015
Luizkid:

Scrotal raphe.
Re: Names Of Things You Never Knew Had Names by DonX001: 9:56am On Jan 27, 2015
Luizkid:

M3Guy:
picture of the line that divide ur own scrotal sac grin grin or Adonbelive it

grin grin grin
Re: Names Of Things You Never Knew Had Names by DonX001: 9:57am On Jan 27, 2015
myouri:
Only knew no.9 buh some are too long and difficult to remember sha.

No. 4 looks/sounds like a Calabar name cheesy cheesy

Calabar girl! grin
Re: Names Of Things You Never Knew Had Names by divalindiway(f): 10:46am On Jan 27, 2015
this is one of the reasons am always on nairaland.Learning never ends!! smiley

(1) (2) (Reply)

Jamb!!! recheck your answers when the computer logs u out. my story / OAU ASPIRANTS- What Do You Think About The New System Used In Screening / The Difference Between Yoga And Vodka(pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.