Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,741 members, 7,802,255 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:40 AM

Help! Debit Transaction Notification >> 155,000.00naira - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Help! Debit Transaction Notification >> 155,000.00naira (10437 Views)

Zenith Bank Charged Me This For A 5Dollar Transaction *pix Attached**** / Central Bank Of Nigeria (CBN) Imposes N1.00/per N1,00.0.00 Debit Transaction Fee / CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help! Debit Transaction Notification >> 155,000.00naira by Nobody: 1:47pm On Jan 03, 2009
lexicon:

@nairalander, This is very true.

see what happened

my uncle called me at arround 11 pm on xmas day that he has been  receiving some debit alert from GTB(10 debit alert, 5 of N20000 each and 5 of N100 each). we went and check his bank acct balance and discovered that N100000 is missing from his account .we quikly change his pin that nyt, because if we don't, they will wait till 12pm and continue to collect.the following morning when we checked the transaction history, we discovered that the money was collected with an ATM card from IBPLC machine . please Nairalander, lets be changing our pin as often as possible. This is real

thats definitely an atm withdrawal from another bank other than gtb.
then it is someone with access to ur atm card
Re: Help! Debit Transaction Notification >> 155,000.00naira by Nobody: 1:50pm On Jan 03, 2009
i learnt that there is a device that can read data from an ATM card, i havent seen it for sale though

but there is one on usbgeek.com that can read data from sim cards and write to another sim.
Re: Help! Debit Transaction Notification >> 155,000.00naira by waoosa(m): 3:01pm On Jan 03, 2009
@Banom,
You are spot on my brother. So many fi=uny humani being here.

Be it a lie or whatever, give the guy benefit of doubt and ask him to go to the bank to lay a complaint.
Re: Help! Debit Transaction Notification >> 155,000.00naira by Jascobee: 3:57pm On Jan 03, 2009
PLS LET ME HAVE UR ACCOUNT NAME AND NUMBER, I WILL VERIFY ON MONDAY,
IF U REFUSE TO DISCLOSE THIS,THAT MEANS IT;S A SUPER STORY
Re: Help! Debit Transaction Notification >> 155,000.00naira by Egie: 4:10pm On Jan 03, 2009
I guess you may have responded to a 419 email making the rounds - I received such an email purportedly from GT Bank asking me to verify my account details with their bank , and guess what?, I DO NOT HAVE (& HAVE NEVER HAD) A GT BANK ACOUNT!!!

A similar email purportedly from Interswitch is also being sent to potential victims claiming a planned systems maintenance.

PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND TO SUCH MAILS - IT IS BETTER TO PLAY SAFE BY GOING PHYSICALLY TO YOUR BANK TO VERIFY SUCH CLAIMS.
Re: Help! Debit Transaction Notification >> 155,000.00naira by congoshine(m): 4:30pm On Jan 03, 2009
[center]*Dashes away to confirm his GTB balance,I don't want to start the new year with any surprises.*[/center]
Re: Help! Debit Transaction Notification >> 155,000.00naira by kay9(m): 5:06pm On Jan 03, 2009
It defies me why some people just can't give others the benefit of doubt.

Someone posts that his money's gone missing from his bank account, and three-quarters of the replies are calling him a "Super-Story" teller. Haven't you folks ever heard of Online Identity Theft? For those of you who are so sure that GTB is the high Muck-a-Muck of the Nigerian banking system, here's news: I open a salary account with GTB (Port Harcourt, GRA branch) along with 6 other collegues five months ago; to this day we are yet to receive our ATM cards - and the account has been used to pay our salaries for the past four months! Each time we complain, the same reply is given back (like a bleeping computer program!): Our names must have been omitted, it'll be re-sent again; please come back in 2 weeks time. And this is supposed to be one of the BEST banks in Nigeria.

I read one reply asking the poster if he didn't get any SMS alerts; dude, I withdrew 35,000k from my supposedly "State-of-the-Art" PHB account four days before Xmas; guess when I got the SMS alert? Yesterday - and the transaction date read 02-01-2009. Now, how bloody reliable is that?

What you guys have to realize is that ALMOST all internet-based/computer-based systems are hackable at best, and totally unreliable at worst. Nigeria had a satellite with God-knows how many computers tracking it and still lost it, talk less of a string of numbers representing your life earnings in a hackable computer system.
Re: Help! Debit Transaction Notification >> 155,000.00naira by savesoul(m): 5:08pm On Jan 03, 2009
It is funny how some nairalanders assume every post on this forum as a joke or prank, why should i come out and make up a story? for what? what would be my gain?.

I couldn't contact the bank until the Monday after Xmas and what came to my mind was sharing this with nairalanders to ask for help and also alert them on what is going on with our so-called reliable financial institutions.

I have contacted the bank and they told me to wait for five(5) working days for them to 'investigate'. i am really disappointing wit the bank, because i made sure i kept my account information private and never respond to emails scams, i had 'NEVER EVER' given someone my account number, even my girlfriend does not know my account number, that is to show u how i keep my banking information private and confidential.

What i don't still understand is how the funds were moved. Am stunned!

Still Keeping my fingers crossed
olofofo:

@all

we really need to be careful in this era of banks spreading false rumors against themselves. this might just be one of them.

Why would a bank send out 'rats' to spoil other banks? bullshit!!  angry Person dey vex here you dey talk about rumors
Re: Help! Debit Transaction Notification >> 155,000.00naira by savesoul(m): 5:12pm On Jan 03, 2009
Jascobee:

please LET ME HAVE UR ACCOUNT NAME AND NUMBER, I WILL VERIFY ON MONDAY,
IF U REFUSE TO DISCLOSE THIS,THAT MEANS IT;S A SUPER STORY
Seun, Another scammer ooooooooooooo angry angry angry
Re: Help! Debit Transaction Notification >> 155,000.00naira by JJYOU: 5:18pm On Jan 03, 2009
savesoul:

It is funny how some nairalanders assume every post on this forum as a joke or prank, why should i come out and make up a story? for what? what would be my gain?.

I couldn't contact the bank until the Monday after Xmas and what came to my mind was sharing this with nairalanders to ask for help and also alert them on what is going on with our so-called reliable financial institutions.

I have contacted the bank and they told me to wait for five(5) working days for them to 'investigate'. i am really disappointing wit the bank, because i made sure i kept my account information private and never respond to emails scams, i had 'NEVER EVER' given someone my account number, even my girlfriend does not know my account number, that is to show u how i keep my banking information private and confidential.

Still Keeping my fingers crossed
Why would a bank send out 'rats' to spoil other banks? bullshit!!  angry Person dey vex here you dey talk about rumors

nothing is new in naija. i have said this before naija banks are licenced rougues. they nearly scammed me too some years back. asked for interest on fixed dep. a/c to be paid into another fided deposit a/c. they cleverly sent the money to a current account before moving the money back into fixed account. collecting unearned COT. only the threat of moving my account reversed the decision.
Re: Help! Debit Transaction Notification >> 155,000.00naira by mckaycee(m): 5:21pm On Jan 03, 2009
you are not the first, sometime around oct last year,  my boss was being sent debit alerts of 50k every 15mins from his bank, Zenith. So he showed it to us after the 2nd attempt. Before he could  finish what he was doing, they sent the third alert. So he had to rush to the bank. Well, he was reimbursed the way it was taken. People, this is for real.
Re: Help! Debit Transaction Notification >> 155,000.00naira by kay9(m): 5:24pm On Jan 03, 2009
savesoul:

I feel your pain, dude. Just play it cool. I know that will be a very hard thing to do - trust me, I do. But it is also the best and only sensible thing to do. The bank has promised to look into it; let them do their job. GTBank has a good reputation - even though I still have an issue with them - so I believe they'll resolve it. Don't worry, s'long as you didn't withdraw the money yourself - and can prove that you didn't, they have the obligation of refunding your money back.

Do you smoke? Buy a cigarette; chill out.  smiley
Re: Help! Debit Transaction Notification >> 155,000.00naira by saddik(m): 5:44pm On Jan 03, 2009
Recently there was a hoax email goin round, it exectly looks like GT Bank mail.

It request that u send u account details in order to verify ur account.

I hope u never had anything like dat.

I reported it to some GT bank staffs, and they confirmed its a fraud.
Re: Help! Debit Transaction Notification >> 155,000.00naira by bodsibobo(m): 6:45pm On Jan 03, 2009
Quote from: lexicon on Today at 10:02:10 AM
@nairalander, This is very true.

see what happened

my uncle called me at arround 11 pm on xmas day that he has been receiving some debit alert from GTB(10 debit alert, 5 of N20000 each and 5 of N100 each). we went and check his bank acct balance and discovered that N100000 is missing from his account .we quikly change his pin that nyt, because if we don't, they will wait till 12pm and continue to collect.the following morning when we checked the transaction history, we discovered that the money was collected with an ATM card from IBPLC machine . please Nairalander, lets be changing our pin as often as possible. This is real

What's your uncle's daily withdrawal limit? N100500?
Re: Help! Debit Transaction Notification >> 155,000.00naira by sfdaram(f): 7:18pm On Jan 03, 2009
i want people to know that there is nothing impossible with dubious,419 & fradusters as far as duping people is concern. the fact that what the poster said as not happen to you does not make his story untrue. money disappearing in ones account without the use of ATM card, cheque book even filling of trasfer form happens this day. the same happened to a friend of mine(over 100k was transfer out of is account without his consent, the use of ATM card & cheque), so believe it because is true & be extra ordinary careful.
Re: Help! Debit Transaction Notification >> 155,000.00naira by cliveland: 8:40pm On Jan 03, 2009
sometimes, we shd try 2 be patient with pple, d poster made a complain, i believe as friends which is what dis platform is about, i.e, 2 proffer solutions not turn it into a joke, "lets even assume its joke" its still educative, lesson, take this senerios;

a client of mine was debitted on a loan account with the sum of N4, 3m, d bank claimed it was default interest charges, while supposedly my client has judiciously been keeping his payments obligations after a strongly worded letter was sent in they reversed the charges.

secondly, another client was sent money from abroad in excess of N500k, unfortunately this client uses 1 particular bank, for such transactions, to her greatest surprise when she got there to d bank on Marina, n presented her documents she was info that she had collected her money at their local Airport branch office, 30minutes b4 she came to their own office, my client immeidately called me, i got there with a letter and served the secreatry to the branch manager n b4 i got down the stairs dy called, my client was paid the money with apologies.

lesson, we shd all be very careful no one's a saint especially when it comes to money.

If ur can back up ur claims n assuming they fail to reverse the withdrawals get in touch with thru [igu_attorney.com]
Re: Help! Debit Transaction Notification >> 155,000.00naira by XKZ(m): 8:53pm On Jan 03, 2009
bodsibobo:

isn't it obvious that his uncle's withdrawal limit is N100,000 and the 5 N100 debits are ATM transaction charges.

the moral of the story (replies most posters have given) is that GTB is the most popular bank on nairaland (among youths?) and you mess with them at your own risk.
Even if this particular case is false, situations like this can occur in any bank in any country, some weeks back sarkozy's (french president) account was hacked.
Re: Help! Debit Transaction Notification >> 155,000.00naira by lexicon(m): 9:14pm On Jan 03, 2009
bodsibobo:

Use your initiative angry
Re: Help! Debit Transaction Notification >> 155,000.00naira by ehie007(m): 9:20pm On Jan 03, 2009
@poster this is a move by atm hackers, this same stuff happend late last year to some of my former bank customers, customers and staff account were been debited anyhow, but the bank laid a siege and caught the guys who were doing it one mid night,,, they confessed that a nigerian in russia gives them several generated pins and dummy atm cards to try out, part of or a big blame goes to the inefficiency of Interswitch security system,,.most of these hackers hack pins from interswitch network,

just be persistent with GTBank and u will sure get ut money,, if not go and report to Central bank, they av a committee to handle that, Advice to all, change ur PINS as often as possible to keep dribbling these so called scammers,

no more maga for yahoo boyz, now they av turned to ATM hacking,

God dey.
Re: Help! Debit Transaction Notification >> 155,000.00naira by topkin(m): 10:27pm On Jan 03, 2009
I want 2 sincerely bliv dis is an online transfer fraud. Probably some1 has ur GTBank online 3rd Party transfer details and is using it to scoop ur acct. U av already made the 1st & best move by blocking ur acct. I bliv GTB will reslve the issue; they are an excellent bank.
Re: Help! Debit Transaction Notification >> 155,000.00naira by etauso(m): 10:50pm On Jan 03, 2009
O boy shake those guys, I know what I did to Intercontinental Bank, Calabar Branch after they played me for a month after an illegal deduction of N1,000from ma account. I shook them and Customer Service @ the Head Office, Lagos, was on stand-still for a whole day. That day alone I received more than 14 calls from Intercontinental Bank.
Re: Help! Debit Transaction Notification >> 155,000.00naira by ehie007(m): 11:06pm On Jan 03, 2009
I even got a N100 naira debit in my firstbank account for requesting for passbook, passbook wey i no request for, i will go there this monday and rake for them, even if its just N100 naira, if i dont rake they will then start deboting large amount from my account, hope its not a cheap way for them to make money if not,
Re: Help! Debit Transaction Notification >> 155,000.00naira by sunboy(m): 12:07am On Jan 04, 2009
Oh God i pray that i have wrong posting or credit alert of mouth watering figure.
Re: Help! Debit Transaction Notification >> 155,000.00naira by UNLEASHED(m): 3:51am On Jan 04, 2009
You must have replied a scam mail or SMS
Re: Help! Debit Transaction Notification >> 155,000.00naira by crescent(f): 9:05am On Jan 04, 2009
I hope you will get your hard earn money back and let the house know how it was retrieve
Re: Help! Debit Transaction Notification >> 155,000.00naira by dayooye(m): 10:30am On Jan 04, 2009
I feel ur pain bro, your online account information have been hacked, as to getting ur money back its a 50 50 thing. what most scammers does is that they open an account with gtb with false infos, they then transfer money from ur own account in that account they have open newly, thats all. they can even withdraw with atm or other instrument. at the end of the day you start chasing shadows, because you cannot track them using the info they submited when opening the account. secondly they can use ur fund to purchase goods and services from another inocent nigerian. most likely by now the goods or services would hv been delivered to the scammer. the money would be traced to the other guys account, and both of you will start legal wahala sad sad sad sad. i have a similar problem with gtb since aprill 2008. the matter has not been resolve till now. they froze my account with 500k inside, i hv been locked up in police cell, i hv been taking to efcc. still yet nothing concrete has come out of it. my candid advise is this involve a LAWYER. or else gtb would try to bully you . ok. and also be prayerfull sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad
Re: Help! Debit Transaction Notification >> 155,000.00naira by Nimshi: 11:21am On Jan 04, 2009
Your situation isn't impossible, but it appears you're not answering questions necessary to help with your problem. First off, a warning: do not reveal your account details in an open forum; your best shot at solving this is with GTBank. Some of these questions ahve been asked before; they're repeated here; the objective is to obtain some information and guide you toward a solution.

1) Are you still able to log into your GTBank online account? If Yes, then log in and change your password.
2) Also check your email address of record with GTBank; your GTBank log in details are vulnerable via email; they could have been compromised via email.
3) Contact your GTBank account officer; this should be done at the branch at which your account is being administered from.

As an earlier comment said, no online banking system is completely fool-proof. GTBank have tried to limit unauthorised transactions on your account by having some checks in place:

4) Email notifications are sent as soon as transactions are posted to your account; the SMS alerts may be late.
5) The narration of the transaction will give the names of the two GTbank accounts involved in the transaction.
6) Online transfers could only be made to pre-registered GTBank accounts. This is important in understanding what's going on with your account. The amounts you've indicated appear to be quite heavy for an ATM scam/fraud. To withdraw N256,000 (I'm assuming this amount was withdrwan in a single transaction) isn't as straightforward as it may appear at GTBank. The smae goes for the first amount of N155,000; the recipient account must have been pre-registered by the account holder. . .

As you should have seen, quite a number of people are interested in solving your particular issue, but without the important information, along with you answering some basic questions, that'll be difficult. Of course, it's not inappropriate to afford a problem the benefit of doubt. If you do want people here to help, some questions need to be answered:

a) Where's your GTBank account 'located', i.e., your primary branch?
b) Do you have an account officer? Yes/No.
c) What's the narration for the N155,000 debit? (see "Remarks" in the GeNS notification)
d) What's the narration of the N256,000 debit? (see"Remarks" in the GeNS notification)
e) What's the "Translation Location" and "Description" of the N155,000 debit?
f) What's the "Translation Location" and "Description"of the N256,000 debit?
g) Were both debits from your current account, or your savings account?

All these info should be in the GeNS notification sent to you.
Re: Help! Debit Transaction Notification >> 155,000.00naira by Nimshi: 11:24am On Jan 04, 2009
ehie007:

I even got a N100 naira debit in my firstbank account for requesting for passbook, passbook wey i no request for, i will go there this monday and rake for them, even if its just N100 naira, if i don't rake they will then start deboting large amount from my account, hope its not a cheap way for them to make money if not,

You did the right thing.

It is important to question any unauthorised deduction/transaction on your account; no amount is too small.
Re: Help! Debit Transaction Notification >> 155,000.00naira by alex406(m): 2:52pm On Jan 04, 2009
My guy,i feel your pain,it has happened to a friend of mine before but thank God GTBank are efficient and active,they tracked the culprit and to our greatest surprise,the person happens to be my friends brother.So it real for you people that claim he is just making mouth here.
Re: Help! Debit Transaction Notification >> 155,000.00naira by jaybee3(m): 3:18pm On Jan 04, 2009
With the current influx of ATM machines on naij streets and banks policy to reduce unnecessary withdrawal transaction traffics @ their respective banking centres, then it's certainly about time that peeps become even more vigilant with this latest technology drive.

In the western world, criminals have been known to tamper with ATM machines whereby details of cards used are stored by an almost undetectable card reader (MSR) which most times also have a small camera embedded in it to store pin numbers when being entered.
Once the pot of information gold is removed by this criminals, a very easy program can then be used with the aid of the MSR again to write the details of the card unto any available plastic cards (even phone cards have been known to be used) which will then make it an easy access to hard earned funds in your acc.
Re: Help! Debit Transaction Notification >> 155,000.00naira by savesoul(m): 9:23pm On Jan 04, 2009
Nimshi:

Your situation isn't impossible, but it appears you're not answering questions necessary to help with your problem. First off, a warning: do not reveal your account details in an open forum; your best shot at solving this is with GTBank. Some of these questions ahve been asked before; they're repeated here; the objective is to obtain some information and guide you toward a solution.

1) Are you still able to log into your GTBank online account? If Yes, then log in and change your password.
2) Also check your email address of record with GTBank; your GTBank log in details are vulnerable via email; they could have been compromised via email.
3) Contact your GTBank account officer; this should be done at the branch at which your account is being administered from.

As an earlier comment said, no online banking system is completely fool-proof. GTBank have tried to limit unauthorised transactions on your account by having some checks in place:

4) Email notifications are sent as soon as transactions are posted to your account; the SMS alerts may be late.
5) The narration of the transaction will give the names of the two GTbank accounts involved in the transaction.
6) Online transfers could only be made to pre-registered GTBank accounts. This is important in understanding what's going on with your account. The amounts you've indicated appear to be quite heavy for an ATM scam/fraud. To withdraw N256,000 (I'm assuming this amount was withdrwan in a single transaction) isn't as straightforward as it may appear at GTBank. The smae goes for the first amount of N155,000; the recipient account must have been pre-registered by the account holder. . .

As you should have seen, quite a number of people are interested in solving your particular issue, but without the important information, along with you answering some basic questions, that'll be difficult. Of course, it's not inappropriate to afford a problem the benefit of doubt. If you do want people here to help, some questions need to be answered:

c) What's the narration for the N155,000 debit? (see "Remarks" in the GeNS notification)
d) What's the narration of the N256,000 debit? (see"Remarks" in the GeNS notification)

All these info should be in the GeNS notification sent to you.

Ogbomosho

Yes

Transaction Notification
==========================
Account Number             : ***-*****-*-**-*
Transaction Location       : PLURAL HOUSE
Description                : TRANSFER BETWEEN CUSTOMERS
Amount                     : 155,000.00 Naira
Value Date                 : 23-DEC-2008
Remarks                    : TRF FROM ******** TO ADEMILUYI
Time Of Transaction        : 02:01:12 PM

Transaction Notification
==========================
Account Number             : ***-*****-*-**-* 
Transaction Location       : PLURAL HOUSE
Description                : TRANSFER BETWEEN CUSTOMERS
Amount                     : 256,000.00 Naira
Value Date                 : 29-DEC-2008
Remarks                    : TRF FROM ********  TO SANGOKEYE GBENGA (PAYMENT FOR FLIGHT TICKET)
Time Of Transaction        : 10:55:27 AM

Savings Account ( My Hard earned savings  angry angry )

Both Debits took place at Plural House ( GTB Head Office )

Make una Help me oooooooooo
Re: Help! Debit Transaction Notification >> 155,000.00naira by atilla(m): 9:57pm On Jan 04, 2009
bros sorry to hear, if ur very sure that u didnt reply to  ATM scam and from ur last post im guessing someone must have done transfer at the bank itself to another GTB account, its possible ur signature is very easy to copy and someone impersonated u. Jusr calm dow i think u will get the money in the end.

PLEASE  let us know how it goes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

7 Mistakes To Avoid When Starting An Online Business / Why We Created Multiple Exchange Rates—cbn / Court Orders AMCON To Take Over Gateway Portland Cement

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.