Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,875 members, 7,806,510 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 05:34 PM

Tom Petty To Share Credit/royalties For Sam Smith's Song "Stay With Me" - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Tom Petty To Share Credit/royalties For Sam Smith's Song "Stay With Me" (1023 Views)

You Have Never Paid Royalties For My Work – Runtown Responds To Eric-manny / Sam Smith- Stay With Me Lyrics / Singing Of Heartbreak, Newcomer Sam Smith Wins Big At Grammys (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tom Petty To Share Credit/royalties For Sam Smith's Song "Stay With Me" by cupidhero(m): 9:54pm On Jan 26, 2015
Soul music new favorite white boy Sam Smith will be sharing the credits and royalties of his 2014 hit song "Stay with me" with Tom Petty because "I won't back down" which was a huge hit in 1989 by Tom petty and the heartbreakers sounds unintentionally similar to Sam smith's hit "Stay with me". The management has agreed to share the royalties with Tom Petty but insists that it was not a direct sampling of Tom petty's "I won't back down". Tom Petty track "I won't back down" became a huge hit in 1989 and Sam Smith released "Stay with me" in 2014 which means he could have been inspired by the song or maybe it was just a coincidence the sounds is similar to the other. We all know inspirations like melody which is not too complex usually collide.A rythmical composition like Tom Petty's song can pop into one's inspirational zone and then expressed in the individuals personal style. But it is a good thing that the management handling Sam Smith's career have chosen to be civil about the whole drama.
Re: Tom Petty To Share Credit/royalties For Sam Smith's Song "Stay With Me" by cupidhero(m): 9:57pm On Jan 26, 2015
Come defend ya boy@sophyrock
Re: Tom Petty To Share Credit/royalties For Sam Smith's Song "Stay With Me" by Nobody: 10:10pm On Jan 26, 2015
It could have been a mistake..love inspirations thus write-ups, may tend to sound or be similar.

I love foreign artistes, even when they are not releasing works - they would look for who to sue for copyright and shii.

If that were the case in Nigeria, a lot of artist would have been outta business bc they keep stealing beats, lyrics and even video concept.

Especially that "Emma Naira" that stole Amerie's lyrics/beat.

3 Likes

Re: Tom Petty To Share Credit/royalties For Sam Smith's Song "Stay With Me" by Nobody: 10:21pm On Jan 26, 2015
Abegi they should leave my guy alone jare. Sam smith rocks!! ive not listened to Tom petty's song to judge for myself buh there are so many recent songs that sounded like a lot of the oldies. So what are they saying? Abegi!
Re: Tom Petty To Share Credit/royalties For Sam Smith's Song "Stay With Me" by cupidhero(m): 10:52pm On Jan 26, 2015
Kachisbarbie:
It could have been a mistake..love inspirations thus write-ups, may tend to sound or be similar.

I love foreign artistes, even when they are not releasing works - they would look for who to sue for copyright and shii.

If that were the case in Nigeria, a lot of artist would have been outta business bc they keep stealing beats, lyrics and even video concept.

Especially that "Emma Naira" that stole Amerie's lyrics/beat.
True true! Nigerian artists are just rip offs. From zouk to kwaito,from makossa to soukous ; no genre has been spared by nigerian artists who lack the talent to come up with a distinct style or sound. All they do is steal from the sounds of these other africans who have a smaller number of followers of these genre and invest money on a good producer and with the help of a good video director like clarence peter a star is then born. A critical look at the industry and you will find out their is nothing special about theses artists. The ones making better music are not getting better airplay and views. Now back to sam smith...i think if the produce had an idea the song sounded similar to tom petty's own,i'm sure he would have made some adjustments to the song to make it sound more distinct. I'm sure "In the lonely hour" which contained the "stay with me" song was his sophomore album. But i respect him for being humble to atleast share the credits with tom petty. It was not intentional. IMO. If nigerians had respect for people's work like those in the west i'm sure more beautiful sounds would have been made by our artists by now. I can't remember the last time a heard a sound that is special and distinct by a nigerian artists. Is all recycled products with repetitive lyrics.
Re: Tom Petty To Share Credit/royalties For Sam Smith's Song "Stay With Me" by cupidhero(m): 11:05pm On Jan 26, 2015
Sophyrocks:
Abegi they should leave my guy alone jare. Sam smith rocks!! ive not listened to Tom petty's song to judge for myself buh there are so many recent songs that sounded like a lot of the oldies. So what are they saying? Abegi!
Lol. So since he is your guy he gets a pass? He is supertalented tho. His humility is something i admire. Imagine what will happen if you tell Kcee that one of his songs sounds like an old igbo gospel song and then tell him he should pay a certain fee because of it. I might have heard a cover of the tom petty song that sound similar. Would listen to the original and pass my judgement tommorow.
Re: Tom Petty To Share Credit/royalties For Sam Smith's Song "Stay With Me" by Richiy(f): 3:09am On Jan 27, 2015
I just keep wondering why Sam Smith is gay!!!
Re: Tom Petty To Share Credit/royalties For Sam Smith's Song "Stay With Me" by cupidhero(m): 8:18am On Jan 27, 2015
Richiy:
I just keep wondering why Sam Smith is gay!!!
Maybe no girl was enchanting enough to actually make him fall inlove. Womenfolk ain't trying at all,God put y'all on earth for a reason and making boylovers like sam smith to throw away their gayish feelings is one of them,and they are mostly superstars,imagine how happy they could have made their GF(s).
Y'all keep loosing these men to men while menfolk keep turning these lezbians and divas to a wife,even after cheating and battering they still comeback to us. I can only think of a few celebrity lesbian couples but their are so many gay celeb couples out their. Men : 1 Ladies : 0 grin grin.
Re: Tom Petty To Share Credit/royalties For Sam Smith's Song "Stay With Me" by Nobody: 1:22pm On Jan 27, 2015
lols @cupidhero

The thing done pain you o.
If that you are censor board, you for done kill them with fines.

They are not original @all, recently I started listening to rap songs - it has been bliss. Word flow is so ill! Damn...not "ni ojuelegba, them know my story"

I prefer listening to other African countries, they are more original and African than Nigerians, but because we have the market, platform and environment for musicians to thrive, Nigerian artistes tend to make more waves than them.
Re: Tom Petty To Share Credit/royalties For Sam Smith's Song "Stay With Me" by cupidhero(m): 2:42pm On Jan 27, 2015
Kachisbarbie:
[i]lols @cupidhero

The thing done pain you o.
If that you are censor board, you for done kill them with fines.

They are not original @all, recently I started listening to rap songs - it has been bliss. Word flow is so ill! Damn...not "ni ojuelegba, them know my story"

I prefer listening to other African countries, they are more original and African than Nigerians, but because we have the market, platform and environment for musicians to thrive,
Nwanne eh! Umu naija choro iji egwu ndi arabanko ha meruo m ahu.
They are so proud about it,they even make fun of other african artists just because they don't rock and sing about versace like them. I'm not against afro pop or dance hall but when a single type of song dominate our airwaves every year that means the industry is not growing. Underground hip hop is a cool culture,i'm part of the movement but it still needs to grow more. I saw your thread the other where you requested for concious rap...is one of the sub-genres of hip hop that needs more followers. B words and S words rule the airways these days. All i'm saying is that our artists need to be more creative and the masses need to be more hungry for new sounds,every genre deserves a place and followers. I get pissed when i hear about blacks complaining about whitefolks stealing rock music from them,i'm sure if they didn't steal it it would have been dead by now. Atleast they didn't ruin it the way we have ruined rap music. The first rock gig i went to was a bob fitts concert in PH and i then saw frank edward perform live on the same show......frank edward's performance was extra horrible and bob fits with a few guitarists thrilled everyone. Frank edward is extremely rich then but didn't bother getting a good intrumentalists and back up singers because to him it is all about the money and since he is a gospel artists he believes the audience just deserve a mere show of him lip syncing with the sound been played. Thats the nigerian artists for you,they are always after money,never care about other things which makes them legends. Rex jim lawson,osadebe and fela would be mad if they saw the industry they left behind. Sorry for the epistle,the industry won make upcoming artists like me to go crazy due to lack of followers and appeal.
Re: Tom Petty To Share Credit/royalties For Sam Smith's Song "Stay With Me" by Nobody: 3:32pm On Jan 27, 2015
heya.
You're an upcoming artist?

The average Nigerian is either used to the kinda songs they churn out everyday, outrightly disappointed or lost faith in the Nigerian music industry thus making it difficult for the upcoming artist who have something to offer to thrive.

That lip syncing is the one that makes me mad, I begin to wonder, are they not the owners of the song?
If we wanna listen to the CD, we know where to buy the disc or we probably have it already.

Now, you're on the stage...why don't you give us an extra-ordinary live performance? No, they wouldn't.

Afro pop and dancehall is awesome, but it looks like our artist are in a hurry to dump the African vibe so fast in their musical videos.

Abeg shun them, na God go help us.

2 Likes

Re: Tom Petty To Share Credit/royalties For Sam Smith's Song "Stay With Me" by overboard(m): 3:33pm On Jan 28, 2015
cupidhero:

True true! Nigerian artists are just rip offs. From zouk to kwaito,from makossa to soukous ; no genre has been spared by nigerian artists who lack the talent to come up with a distinct style or sound. All they do is steal from the sounds of these other africans who have a smaller number of followers of these genre and invest money on a good producer and with the help of a good video director like clarence peter a star is then born. A critical look at the industry and you will find out their is nothing special about theses artists. The ones making better music are not getting better airplay and views. Now back to sam smith...i think if the produce had an idea the song sounded similar to tom petty's own,i'm sure he would have made some adjustments to the song to make it sound more distinct. I'm sure "In the lonely hour" which contained the "stay with me" song was his sophomore album. But i respect him for being humble to atleast share the credits with tom petty. It was not intentional. IMO. If nigerians had respect for people's work like those in the west i'm sure more beautiful sounds would have been made by our artists by now. I can't remember the last time a heard a sound that is special and distinct by a nigerian artists. Is all recycled products with repetitive lyrics.

I respect you!!! Very few people would agree with you and me, I don tire to talk sef... God bless you. It's the truth you just said but some will say you are beefing! We appreciate our own but truth need to be said.
Re: Tom Petty To Share Credit/royalties For Sam Smith's Song "Stay With Me" by tpiah99: 7:56pm On Jan 29, 2015
hmm
Re: Tom Petty To Share Credit/royalties For Sam Smith's Song "Stay With Me" by tpiah99: 8:00pm On Jan 29, 2015
I always associate "Stay with me" with Phil Collins though.

for some reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plcFlVa2RFw

(1) (Reply)

Your Best Punchline From Nigerian Rap Artiste / MFM Region 7 Praise Team Ft JOY (13 Years Old) / Mixtape: Dj Mayor X Dj Twisten – Vibration Mixtape

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.