Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,646 members, 7,801,883 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:38 AM

Preserving Plantain - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Preserving Plantain (12734 Views)

Recipe: How To Prepare Plantain Fufu In Nigeria / Can You Do Without Your Freezer For Preserving Food? / Photo:instead Of Preserving The Dead Lion,is Being Used As A Meat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Preserving Plantain by nnewa: 8:38am On Jan 27, 2015
hello NLers, pls I need information on the nest way to preserve unripe whole plantain.

my family enjoys ripe plantain, though after a couple of times the children switch off. so I go buying it in bunch to be economical. however most times they all end up ripening at the same time, forcing me to fry repeatedly. I had tried preserving in the fridge but it has not helped.
though I Cook unripe porridge a times i do prefer ripe ones.
will be glad to also be guided on other plantain cuisines.
thanks
Re: Preserving Plantain by 4tunebest(f): 4:52pm On Jan 27, 2015
nnewa:
hello NLers, pls I need information on the nest way to preserve unripe whole plantain.

my family enjoys ripe plantain, though after a couple of times the children switch off. so I go buying it in bunch to be economical. however most times they all end up ripening at the same time, forcing me to fry repeatedly. I had tried preserving in the fridge but it has not helped.
though I Cook unripe porridge a times i do prefer ripe ones.
will be glad to also be guided on other plantain cuisines.
thanks

Refrigerate or preferably freeze @ a stable temperature when they are still green.
Re: Preserving Plantain by teamplayey: 12:52pm On Feb 01, 2015
Seperate them when they are green. This helps them ripe slower
Re: Preserving Plantain by EfemenaXY: 1:46pm On Feb 01, 2015
4tunebest:

Refrigerate or preferably freeze @ a stable temperature when they are still green.

Before or after peeling and slicing them?

Not tried the freezing stuff as I worry that it might sort of "blacken" them when I take them out to fry/boil/cook with... embarassed
Re: Preserving Plantain by humilitatem(f): 10:31am On Feb 03, 2015
Put in plastic bags and refrigerate. Ensure its moist free it will remain that way either green or ripe thats how I preserve mine. Though the green ones might turn black in the fridge but it will not ripe except when you bring it out and keep in a warm place.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

GEJ Now Eats Abakaliki/Ofada Rice & Cassava Bread - Min. Maku / How To Bake Nigerian Bread? / Tubers (yam) And Grains Market

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.