Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,585 members, 7,809,114 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:43 PM

7 Things Affecting Battery And Data Life On Your Android & How To Manage Them - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / 7 Things Affecting Battery And Data Life On Your Android & How To Manage Them (25393 Views)

[android] How To Download Videos On Facebook Lite / MTN Wants Whatsapp & Viber Banned In Nigeria, Says Affecting Its Business / Mtn To Mtn Free Call And Data. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

7 Things Affecting Battery And Data Life On Your Android & How To Manage Them by lalasticlala(m): 12:16pm On Jan 27, 2015
Android user? If you’ve ever had 1GB of data finish in less than the expected time, or your phone battery suddenly starts to die out sooner than usual, this article is for you.

Here are 7 things that affect battery and life tips you can follow to better control data and power consumption on your beloved Android device.

Background notifications

If you use apps like Facebook and Twitter, or any app that frequently checks for updates in the background, you can be sure that they are taking a toll on your battery and data. You have two options:

Go cold turkey – play around with the settings in the apps and turn off background notifications. That way it only checks for updates when you launch the app.

Turn it down a few knobs – if you must have notifications (you’d probably want them on for an app like Facebook), increase the intervals at which they check for updates (preferably every 1 hour or more). You should notice a dramatic improvement in data and battery. But seriously, you really don’t need to know who and who’s doing what every 10 minutes.
Network Quality

Because your phone constantly tries to search for better service, bad quality of reception can consume a lot of battery (and data too!). So if in your area, 3G is not readily available, just switch the phone permanently to 2G/EDGE only. Leaving your phone running on 3G in an area where there is no 3G is totally pointless.

Also if you live in an area where EDGE is strong, or you’re not doing any serious downloading (probably just checking email and WhatsApping) , you should consider using EDGE most of the time. You will save lots of data and battery.

Wireless connectivity

Leaving GPS, Bluetooth and Wi-fi on when you don’t need them encourages your phone to constantly check for any available connections, even when there’s none, which can take a heavy toll on battery life. You should manually turn them off when not in use.

If you use Android 4.3 and above, it includes this annoying location information feature where the phone continues to scan for available Wi-Fi connections. even when off. You want to go into advanced Wi-Fi settings and disable “scanning always available, even when Wi-Fi is off”.

Free apps with paid versions

Free apps that have paid versions usually depend on ads to sustain their business model. These ads tend to use up a lot of otherwise free data just to display on your screen.

You should avoid such apps like the plague. You can either find an ad-free alternative or, if the app is really that indispensable, get the paid version. Paid versions hardly ever cost more than $0.99 – $4.99 (for life and usable simultaneously on multiple devices) and you’ll save a whole lot more in the long run.

Display brightness

Viewing images and videos can be a wonderful experience, especially if you have an HD display device like the Samsung Galaxy S5. But whenever you can help it, you should seriously reduce the display brightness to anything from below 50%. You should also reduce the screen time-out (how long it takes before the screen goes off).

Widgets

I find widgets fundamentally pointless. They just take up all the space of your homescreen and most of your battery (and often data) too. Especially the ones that have background notifications like weather widgets. Seriously, nah Naija we dey, who dey follow weather forecast? I’d advice you dump all default widgets. Don’t add any new ones either; what are shortcuts and menu icons for in the first place?

Data/Power hungry apps

Android comes built-in with tools that can monitor apps which are taking a Lion’s share of your resources. Just go to settings->battery and settings->data usage to check out which apps need to be controlled or axed.

One major culprit (especially for data) most people are oblivious to is Google+. Usually preinstalled on your phone and inadvertently activated at setup, Google+ defaults to backup every single photo taken on your phone to the cloud. That’s a massive data consumer. You have 3 options for dealing with apps like this:

Restrict background data – while viewing the offending app under ‘data usage’ press the more button and select ‘restrict background data’.

[i]Turn of background syncing in the app. [/i]This is possibe in apps like Google+ and Dropbox
If all else fails, uninstall the app.

Fancy/heavy-duty browsers

Your choice of default browser could also be affecting your data life. You should stick to browsers like Opera Mini and UC Browser to save on data. Opera Mini will save you almost 90% on data on average and it can handle most everyday browsing. Only in rare cases should you use the Native or Chrome browser for sites that Opera Mini can’t seem to handle.

http://ynaija.com/android-battery-data-life/

25 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 7 Things Affecting Battery And Data Life On Your Android & How To Manage Them by BrokenTV: 12:18pm On Jan 27, 2015
Since na Lalastica am sure of making frontpage and lifting the trophy of first to comment.
God bless Jonathan as we make it to failbuhari.
Ok i have decided to change my mind i will only sell this space for 1million dollars, bidders over to you.

13 Likes

Re: 7 Things Affecting Battery And Data Life On Your Android & How To Manage Them by thiefnubu(m): 12:18pm On Jan 27, 2015
Ok

THE GODS HAVE SPOKEN.... undecided

SURE KEKE NAPEP TO FRONT-PAGE DRIVEN BY LALA THE MIRACLE WORKER grin

VOTE GMB AND HE WILL ENSURE THAT YOUR ANDROID DATA AND BATTERY DRAINS NO MORE embarassed

6 Likes

Re: 7 Things Affecting Battery And Data Life On Your Android & How To Manage Them by timifizzy(m): 12:19pm On Jan 27, 2015
Re: 7 Things Affecting Battery And Data Life On Your Android & How To Manage Them by gemiclem(m): 12:21pm On Jan 27, 2015
make I grab seat
Re: 7 Things Affecting Battery And Data Life On Your Android & How To Manage Them by BrokenTV: 12:24pm On Jan 27, 2015
Tinubu:
Ok

THE GODS HAVE SPOKEN undecided

SURE KEKE NAPEP TO FRONT-PAGE

DRIVEN BY LALA THE MIRACLE WORKER grin
Na small thing you for thief this trophy from me.

1 Like

Re: 7 Things Affecting Battery And Data Life On Your Android & How To Manage Them by Nobody: 12:26pm On Jan 27, 2015
Nice tips, highly informative.

1 Like

Re: 7 Things Affecting Battery And Data Life On Your Android & How To Manage Them by mkpakanaodogwu(m): 12:28pm On Jan 27, 2015
Good to know
Re: 7 Things Affecting Battery And Data Life On Your Android & How To Manage Them by Nobody: 12:49pm On Jan 27, 2015
smiley
Re: 7 Things Affecting Battery And Data Life On Your Android & How To Manage Them by etudaddy(m): 12:58pm On Jan 27, 2015
Lalasticlala again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know this will soon hit frontpage
Re: 7 Things Affecting Battery And Data Life On Your Android & How To Manage Them by ALAYORMII: 1:22pm On Jan 27, 2015
Helpful
Re: 7 Things Affecting Battery And Data Life On Your Android & How To Manage Them by peteruuu(m): 1:24pm On Jan 27, 2015
Lemme kulikuli book my own space too for here.. cheesy

*Sits on his RIDA ELITE plastic chair & grabs boli with a cold sachet water*

Now back to the topic...OP,you try i swear grin

2 Likes

Re: 7 Things Affecting Battery And Data Life On Your Android & How To Manage Them by alberto2k(m): 1:37pm On Jan 27, 2015
If this post no make Lalasticlala (frontpage)

Make

U know say dem don hack Lalasticlala acc grin
Re: 7 Things Affecting Battery And Data Life On Your Android & How To Manage Them by Goahead(m): 2:03pm On Jan 27, 2015
Desist from phones with less than 3000mAh battery
My two cents

5 Likes

Re: 7 Things Affecting Battery And Data Life On Your Android & How To Manage Them by Segadem(m): 2:05pm On Jan 27, 2015
Good I need more,
pls, don't call me Oliver Twist
Re: 7 Things Affecting Battery And Data Life On Your Android & How To Manage Them by Segadem(m): 2:08pm On Jan 27, 2015
Tinubu:
Ok

THE GODS HAVE SPOKEN undecided

SURE KEKE NAPEP TO FRONT-PAGE DRIVEN BY LALA THE MIRACLE WORKER grin

VOTE BUHARI AND HE WILL MAKE SURE THAT YOUR ANDROID DATA AND BATTERY DRAINS NO MORE embarassed
Why is it that ur username changes if quoted?
WHY? WHY?? WHY
Re: 7 Things Affecting Battery And Data Life On Your Android & How To Manage Them by Nobody: 2:17pm On Jan 27, 2015
cool lemme kukuma book space here.

b t w nice 1 op cheesy
Re: 7 Things Affecting Battery And Data Life On Your Android & How To Manage Them by Oyetboy(m): 2:26pm On Jan 27, 2015
principles and fundamentals of lalasticalisation.
1. everything makes front page.....

1 Like

Re: 7 Things Affecting Battery And Data Life On Your Android & How To Manage Them by slinkman(m): 2:31pm On Jan 27, 2015
ANDROID STILL THE BEST AND REPPIN..... grin
Re: 7 Things Affecting Battery And Data Life On Your Android & How To Manage Them by Nobody: 2:47pm On Jan 27, 2015
true...
Re: 7 Things Affecting Battery And Data Life On Your Android & How To Manage Them by Extom(m): 3:04pm On Jan 27, 2015
Lalasticlala is the Don Jazzy of Nairaland. grin
Re: 7 Things Affecting Battery And Data Life On Your Android & How To Manage Them by idu1(m): 3:25pm On Jan 27, 2015
Booked space....
Re: 7 Things Affecting Battery And Data Life On Your Android & How To Manage Them by Nobody: 3:27pm On Jan 27, 2015
Wt abt bb O.S10 series?
Re: 7 Things Affecting Battery And Data Life On Your Android & How To Manage Them by Warlord3000(m): 3:43pm On Jan 27, 2015
Na wa o..

See as people dey book space all because of say na lalastica open thread smiley

How I wish predicting Baba ijebu or nairabet is as easy as predicting lalasticlala thread on front page..

Would have been millionaire by now shocked

1 Like

Re: 7 Things Affecting Battery And Data Life On Your Android & How To Manage Them by Randerl: 4:03pm On Jan 27, 2015
Jejely Sipping my cup of Zobo with bowl of ewedu soup.
Re: 7 Things Affecting Battery And Data Life On Your Android & How To Manage Them by Randerl: 4:03pm On Jan 27, 2015
For Sale to Highest Bidder.
Re: 7 Things Affecting Battery And Data Life On Your Android & How To Manage Them by villareal15(m): 4:08pm On Jan 27, 2015
Lala :another name for Front page lol
Re: 7 Things Affecting Battery And Data Life On Your Android & How To Manage Them by datbay(m): 4:29pm On Jan 27, 2015
BrokenTV:
Since na Lalastica am sure of making frontpage and lifting the trophy of first to comment.
God bless Jonathan as we make it to failbuhari.
Lolsss,so anything from lalastica makes front page automatically?
Re: 7 Things Affecting Battery And Data Life On Your Android & How To Manage Them by BrokenTV: 5:40pm On Jan 27, 2015
datbay:
Lolsss,so anything from lalastica makes front page automatically?
Dey there they wait, if you want to make front page always follow her.
Re: 7 Things Affecting Battery And Data Life On Your Android & How To Manage Them by pat077: 5:50pm On Jan 27, 2015
This topic is destined to hit d front page, so, make i book my space.
Re: 7 Things Affecting Battery And Data Life On Your Android & How To Manage Them by Deefuray(f): 6:07pm On Jan 27, 2015
ANDRIOD DATA PLAN- the reason why i haven't bought a Land since last year grin

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: 7 Things Affecting Battery And Data Life On Your Android & How To Manage Them by akashi01(m): 6:10pm On Jan 27, 2015
put on your seatbelt, lalasticlala is taking us to front-page

gringrin

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Tecno Mobile Launches Full Display Screen Smartphone, ‘CAMON CM’ / 6 Most Expensive Applications On Google Play Store / "Pay N780billion Fine By 31st December" - NCC To MTN Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.