Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,861 members, 7,802,759 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:58 PM

Wilfred Agbonivbare Is Dead - Former Eagles Goalkeeper (Pictured) - Sports (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Wilfred Agbonivbare Is Dead - Former Eagles Goalkeeper (Pictured) (36695 Views)

Ugo Ehiogu Dead: Former England And Aston Villa Footballer Dies, Aged 44 / Carl Ikeme, Super Eagles Goalkeeper Set To Replace Enyeama (Photos) / Rayo Vallecano Names Stadium After Nigerian Goalie Wilfred Agbonivbare (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wilfred Agbonivbare Is Dead - Former Eagles Goalkeeper (Pictured) by starlingbawa(m): 4:37pm On Jan 27, 2015
jude33084:

What will you call Wojciech Szczesny in Arsenal 8-2 humiliation in the hands og ManU? undecided

Hmmm... then i'd say Szczesnybasket eh? grin grin grin
Re: Wilfred Agbonivbare Is Dead - Former Eagles Goalkeeper (Pictured) by allanphash7(m): 4:37pm On Jan 27, 2015
Bar man! Bar man! ! Bar man! !!

Are you deaf?

Bar man - No

Me -better

Bar man- what can i offer you?

Me- Give this man 72 cartons of beer on my bill

Cheers
starlingbawa:

Good try my friend and I trust you don't belong to the indomie generation or those that have their passport photographs on their WAEC//GCE certificates grin

Back to the issue, you didn't exactly get it correctly. It had to do with the fact that he conceded 7 goals against the 'Galacticos' Real Madrid in a la liga game in the early 90s. Then he was the number 1 goal keeper at Rayo Vallecano.

That's it...

Cheers grin grin grin
Re: Wilfred Agbonivbare Is Dead - Former Eagles Goalkeeper (Pictured) by Nobody: 4:49pm On Jan 27, 2015
R.I.P Senior
Re: Wilfred Agbonivbare Is Dead - Former Eagles Goalkeeper (Pictured) by starlingbawa(m): 4:49pm On Jan 27, 2015
allanphash7:
Bar man! Bar man! ! Bar man! !!

Are you deaf?

Bar man - No

Me -better

Bar man- what can i offer you?

Me- Give this man 72 cartons of beer on my bill

Cheers

Thanks mate!

I receive am grin
Re: Wilfred Agbonivbare Is Dead - Former Eagles Goalkeeper (Pictured) by WINDSOW(m): 4:49pm On Jan 27, 2015
stagger:

When did you start watching football? Are you talking of the Wilfred Agbonivbare who played with Stephen Keshi, Henry Nwosu and Humphrey Edobor in New Nigerian Bank, winning the Wafu cup several times, or playing with Abiola Babes with Dominic Iorfa, Toyin Ayinla, Yisa Shofoluwe et al?

When did he conceed the goals? Did you watch the world cup qualifier between Naija and Cote D'Ivoire when we beat them 4-1 in Lagos after he pulled off more than 5 saves in the first 10 minutes of that match and close to 20 saves overall?

Or the 1-1 draw we played with Algeria that put us through to our first world cup?

Wilfred was one of Nigeria's best goalkeepers. Babies like you who never watched a game that NNB played at Ogbe stadium in Benin or National Stadium in Surulere will come here to talk what they don't know.
Bros,ur temp hot oooooo. He ws a good keeper no doubt bt he conceded some silly goals during qualifying matches n his club days in spain.Hweva,He ws an epitome of a good keeper.
Re: Wilfred Agbonivbare Is Dead - Former Eagles Goalkeeper (Pictured) by williams0100: 4:50pm On Jan 27, 2015
RIP
Re: Wilfred Agbonivbare Is Dead - Former Eagles Goalkeeper (Pictured) by beckyomas(f): 4:54pm On Jan 27, 2015
starlingbawa:

Thanks mate!

I receive am grin
hmmm. You and football.
Gee, you can abandon me for football o. Lol.
Re: Wilfred Agbonivbare Is Dead - Former Eagles Goalkeeper (Pictured) by Nobody: 5:18pm On Jan 27, 2015
Sleep well Sir!!!
Re: Wilfred Agbonivbare Is Dead - Former Eagles Goalkeeper (Pictured) by stagger: 5:24pm On Jan 27, 2015
WINDSOW:

Bros,ur temp hot oooooo. He ws a good keeper no doubt bt he conceded some silly goals during qualifying matches n his club days in spain.Hweva,He ws an epitome of a good keeper.

Which of these "qualifying matches" did you watch? Cable TV entered Nigeria in 1992/93 and Dstv entered in 1995/96. So unless you had a satellite dish, I am not sure how many of us here watched those matches. Ultima, ABG and a few other cable tv stations did not show La Liga in those days.
Re: Wilfred Agbonivbare Is Dead - Former Eagles Goalkeeper (Pictured) by stagger: 5:31pm On Jan 27, 2015
USA 94.

1st round: Nigeria did not concede a single goal to South Africa or Congo home and away.

Wilfred came in during round 2 to replace Peter Rufai on the strength of his wonderful performances in Spain. He conceded 2 goals to CIV away, one to Algeria in Lagos and Algiers, and one to Cote D'Ivoire in Lagos. These were all solid goals which cannot be termed silly goals.

So tell me: where did the goals come from? Everyone knows Rayo Vallecano are perennial relegation candidates in Spain. Has nothing to do with their keepers.

1 Like

Re: Wilfred Agbonivbare Is Dead - Former Eagles Goalkeeper (Pictured) by juvewalex(m): 5:42pm On Jan 27, 2015
U have done ur part on earth man . May God accept ur soul wt his opened arms
Re: Wilfred Agbonivbare Is Dead - Former Eagles Goalkeeper (Pictured) by starlingbawa(m): 5:43pm On Jan 27, 2015
beckyomas:

hmmm. You and football.
Gee, you can abandon me for football o. Lol.

Babe NO ooo!!! I no fit abandon my darling for football o wink
Re: Wilfred Agbonivbare Is Dead - Former Eagles Goalkeeper (Pictured) by Brainykenn: 6:03pm On Jan 27, 2015
[quote author=OgologoDimkpa post=30179882]Jeez! cry
His wife died of cancer and himself died of cancer as well shocked
Is cancer contagious?

Cancer is not contagious, but it is possible they both were exposured to similar risk factors to cancer. The type of diet, physical activity, alcohol consumption, BMI,... are predisposing factors.

1 Like

Re: Wilfred Agbonivbare Is Dead - Former Eagles Goalkeeper (Pictured) by beckyomas(f): 6:27pm On Jan 27, 2015
starlingbawa:

Babe NO ooo!!! I no fit abandon my darling for football o wink
I can't seem to find you anywhere else, you aren't responding angry
Re: Wilfred Agbonivbare Is Dead - Former Eagles Goalkeeper (Pictured) by Nobody: 6:31pm On Jan 27, 2015
bushdoc9919:

Some folks might want to disagree with you about that. grin

Still..he was good anytime he came on. RIP.

He was good in his own way but wasn't the best keeper before Enyeama , I remember a match he was in for Orlando Pirates and the opposing scored 5 goals in 30mins , his coach literarily came onto the field to chase him off. He still had his glory days sha.

RIP to him
Re: Wilfred Agbonivbare Is Dead - Former Eagles Goalkeeper (Pictured) by donbenie(m): 6:42pm On Jan 27, 2015
RIP,was outstanding during USA 94 World Cup qualifiers..
Re: Wilfred Agbonivbare Is Dead - Former Eagles Goalkeeper (Pictured) by delishpot: 6:44pm On Jan 27, 2015
sakaguchi:
Rip sir.

Rather than waste all these monies fighting useless wars, Boko Haram, FGN, USA, ISIL, Al Qaeda and all the war mongers who have the money should commit it to finding lasting solution to Cancer, Parkinson's Disease and Alzheimers.
We could use all the money on arms and defence budget to eradicate Polio here in Nigeria and Niger so that we don't have any resurgence.

My experience in Uniabuja Teaching Hospital has taught me that that shikini amount we spend trying to prevent cancer is worth more the millions we'll spend treating it.

Nigeria celebrates you sir. You have indeed fought a good fight. You are a veteran of football and a veteran of cancer. This is not goodbye, it is a different kind of hello.

RIP.

The powers that be do not want any cure for cancer. They rather want a vaccine that will be given weekly or monthly. Cancer business is big business and if any one finds the cure, that person may be silenced. Oyinbos like to find treatment not cure.
Re: Wilfred Agbonivbare Is Dead - Former Eagles Goalkeeper (Pictured) by sandiyke(f): 6:49pm On Jan 27, 2015
So sad! This cancer of a diesease is very devilish. Can you imagine how it reduced a man? God have mercy.

R.I.P Wilfred
Re: Wilfred Agbonivbare Is Dead - Former Eagles Goalkeeper (Pictured) by pak: 6:59pm On Jan 27, 2015
I remember creating a thread wondering why the great 94 team members seem to be dying in their 40s. Someone insulted me but this new death makes it more worrisome.....
Oliha
Yekini
Okafor
Agbonivbare

Here's the link to the previous article
https://www.nairaland.com/1342478/why-members-nigerian-usa-94
Re: Wilfred Agbonivbare Is Dead - Former Eagles Goalkeeper (Pictured) by pak: 7:19pm On Jan 27, 2015
stagger:
USA 94.

1st round: Nigeria did not concede a single goal to South Africa or Congo home and away.

Wilfred came in during round 2 to replace Peter Rufai on the strength of his wonderful performances in Spain. He conceded 2 goals to CIV away, one to Algeria in Lagos and Algiers, and one to Cote D'Ivoire in Lagos. These were all solid goals which cannot be termed silly goals.

So tell me: where did the goals come from? Everyone knows Rayo Vallecano are perennial relegation candidates in Spain. Has nothing to do with their keepers.

First, let me acknowledge your good great knowledge of Nigerian soccer's recent past....however I need to set some info straight.
Agbonivbare took over the number 1 slot from Alloy Agu. Agu kept a clean slate in the first 3 games against minnows South Africa (then) and Benin. Rufai was only called in for the last formality match of round 1 because Nigeria had already qualified and westerhoof decided to field am experimental side of home based players and castaways.
Westerhoof would later employ a goalkeeper trainer who restored Rufai to the number 1 position and relegated Agbonivbare to number 3 behind Agu. Ike Shorunmi was fourth, hence did not make the team.
Two, Agbonivbare was indeed culpable in at least one of the goals against Cote d'voire in abidjan.
It was Okocha's first game for the SE and Nigeria had gone ahead via a Yekini thunderbolt from an unstoppable run from the right side of the ivorian box. Nigeria missed a chance to seal the game when Siasia selfishly decided to go for glory rather than pass to Yekini, he would lose his place in the SE for that error.
( How many ppl realise he did the same thing vs Argentina at Usa 94, he should have returned the 1-2 to Yekini but tried the difficult lob direct to goal, this time around he was lucky and I admit it was a beautiful goal)
Anyway. Cote d'voire came back to the game via a penalty by Ben Badi - the irrepressible Abdulaye Traore and a smashing effort by the local bomber Ahmed Quattara.
Agbonivbare parried a cross/shot right back into the six yard box of the eagles ( a no no) and Quattara wasted no time in slotting in.
Memories that will never fade from my mind.
All in all Wilfred Agbonivbare was a great short stopper. May he Rest in Peace.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Wilfred Agbonivbare Is Dead - Former Eagles Goalkeeper (Pictured) by arote(m): 7:25pm On Jan 27, 2015
if not for him in the match against ivory coast at the national stadium,Nigeria wouldn't have made it to the world cup'94.RIP
Re: Wilfred Agbonivbare Is Dead - Former Eagles Goalkeeper (Pictured) by seagulsntrawler: 7:31pm On Jan 27, 2015
donbenie:
RIP,was outstanding during USA 94 World Cup qualifiers..

RIP senior man. The most enduring memory I have of him was the qualifiers in `93. The last game in algeria where we played out a 1-1 score draw was really tense and nerve racking. Really gave good account of himself in those games.
Re: Wilfred Agbonivbare Is Dead - Former Eagles Goalkeeper (Pictured) by seagulsntrawler: 7:35pm On Jan 27, 2015
arote:
if not for him in the match against ivory coast at the national stadium,Nigeria wouldn't have made it to the world cup'94.RIP

Yea, made some good saves in that game. Good old days. I just wonder what is happening with football these days.
Re: Wilfred Agbonivbare Is Dead - Former Eagles Goalkeeper (Pictured) by Panter215: 7:36pm On Jan 27, 2015
RIP. Hero Wilfred. You did well for your country and I salute you.
Re: Wilfred Agbonivbare Is Dead - Former Eagles Goalkeeper (Pictured) by lebienconnu: 8:17pm On Jan 27, 2015
rest in peace.
Re: Wilfred Agbonivbare Is Dead - Former Eagles Goalkeeper (Pictured) by stagger: 8:31pm On Jan 27, 2015
pak:

First, let me acknowledge your good great knowledge of Nigerian soccer's recent past....however I need to set some info straight.
Agbonivbare took over the number 1 slot from Alloy Agu. Agu kept a clean slate in the first 3 games against minnows South Africa (then) and Benin. Rufai was only called in for the last formality match of round 1 because Nigeria had already qualified and westerhoof decided to field am experimental side of home based players and castaways.
Westerhoof would later employ a goalkeeper trainer who restored Rufai to the number 1 position and relegated Agbonivbare to number 3 behind Agu. Ike Shorunmi was fourth, hence did not make the team.
Two, Agbonivbare was indeed culpable in at least one of the goals against Cote d'voire in abidjan.
It was Okocha's first game for the SE and Nigeria had gone ahead via a Yekini thunderbolt from an unstoppable run from the right side of the ivorian box. Nigeria missed a chance to seal the game when Siasia selfishly decided to go for glory rather than pass to Yekini, he would lose his place in the SE for that error.
( How many ppl realise he did the same thing vs Argentina at Usa 94, he should have returned the 1-2 to Yekini but tried the difficult lob direct to goal, this time around he was lucky and I admit it was a beautiful goal)
Anyway. Cote d'voire came back to the game via a penalty by Ben Badi - the irrepressible Abdulaye Traore and a smashing effort by the local bomber Ahmed Quattara.
Agbonivbare parried a cross/shot right back into the six yard box of the eagles ( a no no) and Quattara wasted no time in slotting in.
Memories that will never fade from my mind.
All in all Wilfred Agbonivbare was a great short stopper. May he Rest in Peace.

You forgot to mention that Amuneke hit the crossbar in that game as well. Siasia famously claimed he did not see Yekini and to be fair to him, Yekini was slightly behind him on the left and goalkeeper Losseni Konate had advanced very quickly off his line towards Siasia on seeing the danger, thus cutting off the angles very quickly. Agbonivbare made so many saves in that game as the Super Eagles simply sat back and absorbed all the pressure. Recall that they left Lagos on the morning of the game to Abidjan to avoid being bewitched by the Ivoriens. No way the 2nd goal was his fault as the pressure on the SE was simply too much.
Re: Wilfred Agbonivbare Is Dead - Former Eagles Goalkeeper (Pictured) by odeku457(m): 8:46pm On Jan 27, 2015
RIP SENIOR PLAYER.

MAY GOD BLESS THE LIL ONES YOU LEFT BEHIND.

Re: Wilfred Agbonivbare Is Dead - Former Eagles Goalkeeper (Pictured) by gidjah(m): 9:25pm On Jan 27, 2015
I vividly remember that season ,brother peter Rufai seriously charmed all those goal keepers [WILfred and Abiodun Baruwa ]to practal failure way back then!.they started suddenly to misbehave in the goal post!vict was when i accepted the fact that charm works o!JOSEPH dosu also suffered that evil fate.REST in Peace Wildred Abgonivbare.
MrPresident1:
RIP. He kept goal for Nigeria throughout the qualifying series for USA '94, only to be supplanted by Peter Rufai at the world cup.

RIP Wilfred Agbon-na-basket cry
Re: Wilfred Agbonivbare Is Dead - Former Eagles Goalkeeper (Pictured) by pak: 10:31pm On Jan 27, 2015
stagger:

You forgot to mention that Amuneke hit the crossbar in that game as well. Siasia famously claimed he did not see Yekini and to be fair to him, Yekini was slightly behind him on the left and goalkeeper Losseni Konate had advanced very quickly off his line towards Siasia on seeing the danger, thus cutting off the angles very quickly. Agbonivbare made so many saves in that game as the Super Eagles simply sat back and absorbed all the pressure. Recall that they left Lagos on the morning of the game to Abidjan to avoid being bewitched by the Ivoriens. No way the 2nd goal was his fault as the pressure on the SE was simply too much.

I can remember that the game was played some days before my resumption back to boarding school and it was not televised live on any Nigerian station (we only had NTA and govt owned stations back then).

But the game was shown immediately after the famous 7 O' clock news. But by that time I had listen to the live commentaries and my sadness would not allow me watch the full match again.
I can't even remember Amuneke playing in the game. Of the 6 men in front of the defence, I remember 5 - Adepoju, Christopher Nwosu(his only appearance for the eagles), Okocha, Siasia, Yekini.....so yeah he could have been the sixth guy.
I was aware of Siasia's excuse but somehow, I don't believe him. Yeah Losseni Konate - the guy who benched the legendary Alain Goumane for the breif period Phillipe Trouser was in charge of the elephants.
Agreed Agbonivbare really made a lot of saves in that game at some point my friend famously claimed we were playing 9-0-1 formation. grin With only the goalsfather upfront but I still think he could have done better with the strike but kudos to him, he did his bit.

As an aside, this convo brings to mind the great Ivorian side of the 90s. For me as a team (not based on the popularity of players) but if judged as a collective unit they were better than the ivory coast of this (or should I call it the drogba generation).
They had Alain Goumane (and Losseni Konate) in goal. For the records Goumane is the only goalkeeper to win the nations cup without conceding a single goal throughout the tourney.
Then there was Aka Kouame in defence, and the young guel tchiressau and the ever calm Segey Alain Maguy in midfield and of course the boisterous Mitchel Bassole. Not forgetting the giant 'child beater' (chai I don forget hin name - but one huge guy who was arrested in france back then for beating his child until his bones broke) and Donald sie olivierre. Abdoulaye Traore and Tiehi Joel played in attack while Ahmed Quattara was on the bench. It was a fantastic hard to beat side !!!!
Re: Wilfred Agbonivbare Is Dead - Former Eagles Goalkeeper (Pictured) by allanphash7(m): 10:33pm On Jan 27, 2015
Gbayi
starlingbawa:

Thanks mate!

I receive am grin
Re: Wilfred Agbonivbare Is Dead - Former Eagles Goalkeeper (Pictured) by pak: 10:34pm On Jan 27, 2015
Yeah the guy's name was Omar Ben Salah - Omar Ben Salah. he played on the left wing while Donald sie played from the right. Tchiressou and Alain Maguy pulled the string in the middle. Bassole only made the game against Nigeria at Tunisia 94 cos one of them was unavailable can't remember which.

And there was the wunderkind - Youssouf Fofana, who never really delivered on his promise of greatness

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Kelechi Iheanacho Faces Two Years In Prison Over Legal Row / Okocha Scores In Senegal Legends Vs Africa Legends Game (Video) / Ahmed Musa Arrested For Beating His Wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.