Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,310 members, 7,780,731 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 08:58 PM

Have You Ever Been Stranded? Share Your Story - Nairaland / General (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Have You Ever Been Stranded? Share Your Story (3034 Views)

How Libyan officials raped us', stranded Nigerians narrated ordeal / Nigerians Left Stranded In Italy After Surviving Gas Explosion- Hear Their Story / Whats Your Story..... Nothing Last Forever. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded? Share Your Story by Nobody: 7:25am On Jan 28, 2015
I never knew getting stranded means one is poor. undecided

Nairaland sha.
Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded? Share Your Story by Nobody: 7:55am On Jan 28, 2015
Jamean:
Herzumpther your mention of Upper Iweka rings a bell smiley. What else could have taken me to Onitsha if not project work.

I took a bike from Upper Iweka to NSE. On the way, the guy stopped to charge his phone at a phone charging kiosk, unknowing to me that he signaled his partner in crime to trail us.

We got to a 4 junction with traffic light,everyone halted, and that was it. Like magic....necklace, purse I held in my hand was gone. I jumped down in awe, and the bike man fled.

Everybody behaved like nothing happened, only to discover later that it was a norm there. I couldn't even shout or cry 'cause twas like film trick.

A few minutes later, my eye don clear. Searched my bag and found only N60. To take another bike to the place, I was afraid, because they may steal my life this time. I summoned courage, took a bike and got to NSE.

Explaining my ordeal to them there, was when tears flowed freely. Haa! Sorry o, you don't dress chicky to Onitsha, you don't wear gold to Onitsha. undecided

I sha consoled myself, and pleaded to be borrowed money to make my photocopies and go back to school. Thank God they even trusted me enough to borrow me. I came the previous week anyway.

I made A in the project sha. But that will be my last visit to Onitsha.
Lol. Stop to charge his phone ke? shocked na wa o.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded? Share Your Story by okirewaju(f): 8:55am On Jan 28, 2015
My girlfriend in Uniben has been inviting to come over to her school for sometime so I decided to visit her with my last cash.

Got to ring road in Benin around 5pm, came down at Ring road and took a. Bus to Uniben gate with my last 50 bucks. On getting to the school gate, I dipped my hand inside my mini travelling bag and I could not find my phone. I got to a spot and started removing everything inside my bag- my phone was gone.It dawned on me that Benin boys had played a fast one on me because the last time I set my eyes on the phone was when my gf called me when i was about to come down from the bus that brought me from the east.

It was getting dark and I was cashless and phoneless@ d same time so I decided to try my luck. Maybe any girl in the female hostel can allow me spend the night and if possible lend me some cash to return to school. I went into a female hostel( forgotten the name) and I started scanning the rooms looking for
any friendly face i could find and narrate my predicament to. Kept walking up and down until I summoned courage and walked into a room, told them I was looking for so so person only for my gf to come out from one cubicle and she screamed- I could not believe my luck so I screamed along with her.

I was so so lucky.

Another incident I wanted to go home for the weekend so i left school and got to Agofure park- the crowd there was unbelievable. I got there by 2pm and my ticket was Z yet N was yet to move. I heard there was traffic on River Niger bridge at Onitsha hence buses were not coming. We were there till 6pm when the staff at Agofure started refunding our cash that they had to close for the day. Going back to school was not an option for me because if I go back then I have not done justice to the exeat I signed.

I pitched tent with a pastor and he suggested that we should go to Asaba maybe we could find a bus there so we headed towards River Niger with me dragging my box along which was slowing us down. At a point, the pastor offered to help me with the box and he mounted it on his head. That was my 1st and last time of trekking the River Niger bridge. The traffic was something else, there was barely enough room for us to pass with our leg as bike drivers were making lots of cash from the situation. I kept praying inside me as I was scared of falling into the river.

Got to Asaba that day and the drivers we saw said the road is not safe and so they would not go that night till the next morning. I ended us sleeping in a bus.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded? Share Your Story by Odillz: 9:15am On Jan 28, 2015
@Okirewaju--cheesy
Even when travelling in a bus,the fear of falling into that river envelopes me all the time..
Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded? Share Your Story by Nobody: 9:28am On Jan 28, 2015
okirewaju:
My girlfriend in Uniben has been inviting to come over to her school for sometime so I decided to visit her with my last cash.

Got to ring road in Benin around 5pm, came down at Ring road and took a. Bus to Uniben gate with my last 50 bucks. On getting to the school gate, I dipped my hand inside my mini travelling bag and I could not find my phone. I got to a spot and started removing everything inside my bag- my phone was gone.It dawned on me that Benin boys had played a fast one on me because the last time I set my eyes on the phone was when my gf called me when i was about to come down from the bus that brought me from the east.

It was getting dark and I was cashless and phoneless@ d same time so I decided to try my luck. Maybe any girl in the female hostel can allow me spend the night and if possible lend me some cash to return to school. I went into a female hostel( forgotten the name) and I started scanning the rooms looking for
any friendly face i could find and narrate my predicament to. Kept walking up and down until I summoned courage and walked into a room, told them I was looking for so so person only for my gf to come out from one cubicle and she screamed- I could not believe my luck so I screamed along with her.

I was so so lucky.

Another incident I wanted to go home for the weekend so i left school and got to Agofure park- the crowd there was unbelievable. I got there by 2pm and my ticket was Z yet N was yet to move. I heard there was traffic on River Niger bridge at Onitsha hence buses were not coming. We were there till 6pm when the staff at Agofure started refunding our cash that they had to close for the day. Going back to school was not an option for me because if I go back then I have not done justice to the exeat I signed.

I pitched tent with a pastor and he suggested that we should go to Asaba maybe we could find a bus there so we headed towards River Niger with me dragging my box along which was slowing us down. At a point, the pastor offered to help me with the box and he mounted it on his head. That was my 1st and last time of trekking the River Niger bridge. The traffic was something else, there was barely enough room for us to pass with our leg as bike drivers were making lots of cash from the situation. I kept praying inside me as I was scared of falling into the river.

Got to Asaba that day and the drivers we saw said the road is not safe and so they would not go that night till the next morning. I ended us sleeping in a bus.
Lol. Sorry ma'am.
Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded? Share Your Story by okirewaju(f): 9:35am On Jan 28, 2015
Odillz:
@Okirewaju--cheesy
Even when travelling in a bus,the fear of falling into that river envelopes me all the time..
So true

You don't know how long that bridge is until you trek it.

In my own case, the bridge refused to end

Scary!!!
Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded? Share Your Story by okirewaju(f): 9:37am On Jan 28, 2015
Herzumpther:
Lot. Sorry ma'am.
Thank dearie

Now I can laugh over it
Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded? Share Your Story by Nobody: 9:38am On Jan 28, 2015
okirewaju:
Thank dearie

Now I can laugh over it
Lol.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded? Share Your Story by Jamean(f): 10:07am On Jan 28, 2015
Hahahaha. *Press Ctrl Z tongue

Odillz:

angry
*stretches cane*
Oya undo what you just did angry
Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded? Share Your Story by okirewaju(f): 10:13am On Jan 28, 2015
jmoore:
I think the only time I was stranded was when I was returning from Anambra to Aba with my Dad. He was the one behind the wheel.

It was getting late in the evening as we approached Aba, then the car broke down. For those who are familiar with Aba-Enugu expressway, our car broke down some miles before Tonimas factory. There was no hope of getting a mechanic and leaving the car there was risky.

My Dad and I started to push the car. We kept pushing and pushing, till we got to Enyimba junction near Ariaria market. I think that should be around after 10pm . We tried to push the car across to the next lane but it got stuck, so my Dad left to call my siblings in the house while I stayed in the car. They finally came few minutes later and we pushed the car straight to our house.
cheesy

Family pushing

Better it happened at night than during the day
Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded? Share Your Story by Odillz: 10:26am On Jan 28, 2015
Jamean:
Hahahaha. *Press Ctrl Z tongue

cheesy
Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded? Share Your Story by dew1: 12:03pm On Jan 29, 2015
Odillz:

cheesy
Vera!!! How many accounts?
Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded? Share Your Story by Odillz: 9:06pm On Jan 29, 2015
dew1:

Vera!!! How many accounts?
5 tongue
Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded? Share Your Story by InZA: 12:40am On Jan 30, 2015
I may have been stranded more recently than the experience I'm about to share, but somehow this experience just seems to stick our more in my mind's eye like a sore thumb. I went to a boarding secondary school and for many who have had such an experience you would remember how calculated you can be with your spending especially when you're 2weeks shy of vacating from school.

You have to mind the way you spend, because for some of us whose parents were of average means, pocket money only came once a month and so when such money came in a month that would be your last month in school for that term, you have to remember while buying all the "orisirisi" that "Ahhh... My Transport money follow join this money oo".

Anyways, I had done a good job saving up for my Transport fare. I was schooling in Ibadan, and I stayed in Ajah, in lagos. From Ibadan to Lagos was 200Naira, from Oshodi park(in lagos) to Obalende was N100, from Obalende to Ajah Park was N50, from Ajah park to my house was N50. If you sum all these up you would get N400 but the "ahh ahhh' moment was when I found myself in Obalende Park with only N50 left.

The time was already 5pm or there about, I had a very big box with me, I knew that if I used the remaining N50 on me to get to Ajah, I wouldn't have any money left to get to my house. Somehow I was hoping a miracle would happen when I gor to Ajah... Hehehehe... How wrong I was, obviously miracles are not that cheap.

So I finally got to Ajah bustop, I was tired, hungry, money-less, it was late and there I stood at the bustop with atleast 20km between myself and my house. Even at that age, I had already had a moderately inflated ego, because the next "logical" thing I would have done was to ask for help from any of the commuters, and I believe they would have readily helped, unto say "Ahhh eya, omo school ni"

But mehnn, I just locked up o, put my box on my head and started trekking along the expressway. It was like I was so high on hunger or something, that I didnt see the danger in what I was doing.... Just because of N50.

I got home around 10:30pm issh.

Sorry for the long post. embarassed

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded? Share Your Story by Nobody: 4:25am On Jan 30, 2015
Herzumpther:
It was after my NYSC orientation camp, I reported to my PPA, did all I was suppose to and even paid for my accommodation. I was left with very little money I then decided to visit awka. I got to the park and I was told the bus fee was two thousand fifty naira. I pleaded with the driver that I had only 2000 with me and he said no problem then collected the money from me. He told me not to worry that awka was his last bus stop... I was happy eh grin grin on getting to upper iweka he dropped all of us...Odillz it was as if they slapped confusion into my eyes cheesy I didn't know anybody in Onitsha. I decided to locate a catholic church and seek for help. I was able to locate a noviciate, the Reverend sister I met started blasting me, I was on my kaki trouser, cap, jacket and NACC crested shirt. She said they don't wear trouser there, that I would have fought with the driver and people will gather... That I'm not smart because I allowed the driver to go....me wey no dey like wahala grin cheesy....she said a lot Odillz and as she was busy blasting me, it started raining heavily. I was inside the rain but she kept blasting me, I told her thank you, lifted my bag and placed it on my head then headed back to upper iweka and it was already past 8 o. On getting to upper iweka I noticed there was a patrol vehicle belonging to Nigeria army parked just under the bridge so I walked up to them and explained to them. Their leader gave me 2000 naira to continue my journey. I was so happy. Just then I saw a bus to awka for 700 naira and that was how I completed my trip o.

Odillz it was not funny that day.
Eyaaaaaaah
Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded? Share Your Story by dew1: 8:10pm On Jan 30, 2015
Odillz:

5 tongue
Lol...
Whatsapp??
Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded? Share Your Story by Odillz: 8:50pm On Jan 30, 2015
dew1:

Lol...
Whatsapp??
In some weeks time.
Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded? Share Your Story by dew1: 10:11pm On Jan 30, 2015
Odillz:

In some weeks time.
Ohh...
Waiting...

(1) (2) (Reply)

A Girl In Need Of A Boy Friend Today That Is Her Birthday & How Contact Her / How To Borrow Airtime Without Paying Back From Any Network / GRAPHIC Photos: Decomposing Corpse Of Newborn Baby Found Under Coker Bridge

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.