Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,429 members, 7,800,973 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 09:30 AM

Argument: Are African Americans Their Own Ethnic Group? I Say Yes. - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Argument: Are African Americans Their Own Ethnic Group? I Say Yes. (10215 Views)

List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria / Are African Americans The Chosen People? / Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Re: Argument: Are African Americans Their Own Ethnic Group? I Say Yes. by Nobody: 6:52pm On Sep 29, 2016
BlackKenichi:
"Argument: Are African Americans Their Own Ethnic Group? I Say Yes"

Of course Aframs are their own distinct ethnic group.

Ethnicity/Ethnic Group

An Afram is simply a person predominately of SSA descent that are descended the enslaved Africans that came to the territories that became the USA.

This thread was just challenging some of the myths said on here about AAs that they are not their own ethnic group or don't even have their own culture. Glad you bumped it.
Re: Argument: Are African Americans Their Own Ethnic Group? I Say Yes. by YonkijiSappo: 8:21pm On Sep 29, 2016
What is an Ethnic group?
The answer will determine the direction the question posed in the thread title heads.
Re: Argument: Are African Americans Their Own Ethnic Group? I Say Yes. by Nobody: 2:56am On Sep 30, 2016
Their blood has almost the same admixture due to hundreds of years of intermarriage amongst themselves and with surrounding ethnicities. They don't have to come from one ancestor to be an ethnic group. The Fulani of West Africa are considered an ethnic group and they cannot trace their origin to one ancestor. But they have been together for so long that they have become one people.

The Caribbean Africans to me (those still in the islands) are more like a related ethnic group.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Igbo Women Don't Say "cha Cha Cha! Igbo Kwenu!"" / Full List: Hausa Is World’s 11th Most Spoken Language / Meet These Beautiful Shuwa-arab Girls In Nigeria (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.