Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,298 members, 7,808,013 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:24 AM

Families Sell Albinos To Ritualists - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Families Sell Albinos To Ritualists (1331 Views)

18 Albinos Pictures With Unique Beauties That Will Wow You / Man Curses Out Families Who Squander Money Sent Home By Relatives Living Abroad / Can't We Just Get Married Without Involving Families? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Families Sell Albinos To Ritualists by Omooba77: 2:19pm On Jan 28, 2015
Whether because of poverty or the need to make quick cash, it has been discovered that families producing albinos in Tanzania have been selling them off to witchdoctors and ritualists.
There had been a global outrage against the danger posed to the albinos with Tanzania having the highest number of killings and attacks of albinos in Africa and sales of their body parts, according to a report by the UK Daily Mail.
The report further showed that the rise in the trade of human parts of albinos is being encouraged by the country’s most powerful people.
Albinos are human beings who lack melanin, the pigment that gives human beings colour. Black people have melanin, but in the case of albinos, they suffer from a total lack of melanin.
Family members in the country now sell off their children to those who believe that body parts of these special people will bring a person wealth or luck.
The report states that people are ready to pay up to between $3,000 and $4,000 for a limb, or as much as $75,000 (about £50,000) for the full human body.
The report said: “since people began collecting records of the attacks, there have been 74 killings and 59 survivors of attacks. Even the dead are not safe: 16 graves have been robbed. And these are only the recorded cases.
“The most recent case saw four-year-old Pendo Emmanuelle Nundi abducted from her home in December. Her father and uncle were both arrested in connection with her disappearance, but – despite rewards offered of £1,130 and promises of swift action from the police – she has not been found.”
A victim, Mwigulu Matonange, was said to be 10 when he was attacked by two men as he walked home from school with a friend.
They chopped off his left arm, before disappearing back into the jungle with their ‘prize’, Daily Mail said, quoting the boy as saying: “I was held down like a goat about to be slaughtered,” he told IPP Media after the February 2014 attack.
Another case was a 38-year-old woman with albinism who was attacked with machetes by her own husband and four other men while she was sleeping in February 2013, while her eight-year-old daughter watched. Her husband took her arm away.
“Those living with albinism in Tanzania fear the lure of making a couple of hundred dollars – three times the minimum wage earned in the country – is placing them in danger, even from their own families,” the report said.
Josephat Torner, who campaigns for albino rights in the country says he had also received death threats from unknown people.
He told Daily Mail: “now we can see the parents who are involved in planning the attacks. What kind of war are we fighting if parents and family do this? Who can we trust?
“You do not know who is your enemy. People with the albinism are being hunted and killed for our body parts.
“It is because people want to become rich. We are still living in danger. It is because people have different ideas.
“Some people, they are thinking they should get our body parts and sell to different places.
“The question is, why? Why now? And who is behind the killings?’Exactly who remains unknown.
“The big fishes are behind the issue. It has been really a big discussion. If I say big fish, or big people, it is those who have enough resources, enough money. People sell the body parts for high prices. So it is not really small fish behind it. It could be politicians. It could be those people.
“This year we are going to have an election. Since last year, we have been seeing attacks and killings. Already, there has been a noticeable increase.”
Recently, the report said, 15-year-old Pendo Sengerema was attacked as she ate dinner at home with her family. They hacked off her right arm just below the elbow, before running off into the dark.
But it was later learnt that a witch doctor had received an order from a wealthy client indicating that if Pendo’s arm could be provided, it would garner a price of $600.
Now, Pendo is said to be terrified and is begging to be sent away from her village to a safer place.

http://www.pmnewsnigeria.com/2015/01/28/families-sell-albinos-to-ritualists/
Re: Families Sell Albinos To Ritualists by Omooba77: 2:19pm On Jan 28, 2015
Money dey spoil world oh, ahaba
Re: Families Sell Albinos To Ritualists by SAMBARRY: 2:40pm On Jan 28, 2015
Awon afin mati daran ke grin lipsrsealed
Re: Families Sell Albinos To Ritualists by Nobody: 2:53pm On Jan 28, 2015
If this was to be happening in western world; everybody would be echoing "end time things".

So much of morally stable continent named Africa.

I loath the day I was born into this continent.

1 Like

Re: Families Sell Albinos To Ritualists by Nobody: 3:05pm On Jan 28, 2015
Discrimination of the highest order. SMH.
Re: Families Sell Albinos To Ritualists by Nobody: 3:07pm On Jan 28, 2015
FrancisTony:
If this was to be happening in western world; everybody would be echoing "end time things".

Morally stable ke? We are worse than the western world.

5 Likes

Re: Families Sell Albinos To Ritualists by SAMBARRY: 3:11pm On Jan 28, 2015
FrancisTony:

like my boss will say, Africans are religious yet morally bankrupt . morally stable my foot

3 Likes

Re: Families Sell Albinos To Ritualists by Nobody: 3:19pm On Jan 28, 2015
Sophyrocks:

Worse than the western world?... nah!
I hate it when people assume things.
You don't possibly know what you're saying.
Re: Families Sell Albinos To Ritualists by Nobody: 3:23pm On Jan 28, 2015
Sophyrocks:

SAMBARRY:
like my boss will say, Africans are religious yet morally bankrupt . morally stable my foot
I was being sarcastic & using their word(s). cheesy
Re: Families Sell Albinos To Ritualists by SAMBARRY: 3:28pm On Jan 28, 2015
FrancisTony:

lol that's why I am not always surprised when kanwulia messes with the so called religionists
Re: Families Sell Albinos To Ritualists by cupidhero(m): 3:29pm On Jan 28, 2015
Is realy a sad story...i once watched a two hours documentary on this. Abinos are targeted and caught,then their body parts will be used for money magic. The fears on their faces when they were being interviewed was heartbreaking. Is not like they are from another tribe,your neighbours might just decide to capture and sell you when they run out money. Their bones are also sort after,which means chances of the victims been seen is slim. I don't know why africans will still be acting like people from the stone age. God will see them through!
Re: Families Sell Albinos To Ritualists by Nobody: 3:58pm On Jan 28, 2015
Aprime:

Worse than the western world?... nah!
I hate it when people assume things.
You don't possibly know what you're saying.

Oh yes we are worse most especially nigerians. We are lawless compared to the western world. The westerners know whats right and do it even though they aint religious. But we Nigerians? Hypocrisy is our middle name and anything goes here. so you see? Isnt it a shame on we who claim to be religious?

3 Likes

Re: Families Sell Albinos To Ritualists by Nobody: 3:58pm On Jan 28, 2015
FrancisTony:

I know you were. smiley
Re: Families Sell Albinos To Ritualists by cococandy(f): 4:15pm On Jan 28, 2015
The darkness that still envelops this continent is gruesome.
How can someone believe they will make money off the body parts of another human being?

Human life has no value.
Re: Families Sell Albinos To Ritualists by Nobody: 5:50pm On Jan 28, 2015
I Can't believe I was laughing all through dis story. in my beloved naija na head, bweast and pwick
Re: Families Sell Albinos To Ritualists by Nobody: 5:51pm On Jan 28, 2015
I Can't believe I was laughing all through dis story. in my beloved naija na head, bweast and pwick. tufiakwa
Re: Families Sell Albinos To Ritualists by Omooba77: 6:01pm On Jan 28, 2015
cococandy:
How can someone believe they will make money off the body parts of another human being?

Human life has no value.
Hope you no be Afin sah;many people go to church,but still believe in primitive ways
Re: Families Sell Albinos To Ritualists by Omooba77: 10:11pm On Jan 28, 2015
If God wants to purnish these people make God give them afin.
Re: Families Sell Albinos To Ritualists by dominique(f): 6:56pm On Jan 29, 2015
Wow this is horrible beyond words. Why is there so much evil in the world. Albinos are human beings for crying out loud. I hope the authorities put a stop to this.

2 Likes

Re: Families Sell Albinos To Ritualists by SAMBARRY: 9:52am On Jan 30, 2015
cococandy:

Human life has no value.
don't you want to be a lagos big girl with bleached skin, blue eye lashes, push up bra where your brez will reach ya neck, don't you want to drive rolls Royce and be spraying mint one thousand naira notes and a musician dedicates one of his album in your name. All these cost ego grin
Re: Families Sell Albinos To Ritualists by SAMBARRY: 9:55am On Jan 30, 2015
Omooba77:

Hope you no be Afin sah;many people go to church,but still believe in primitive ways
coco escaped albinism small. She's not an albino but she looks like one only that her eye balls are not restless and it's black cheesy

(1) (Reply)

What Will You Do If You Find Your Child(ren) Like This? / Should Couples Use Condom During Intimacy? / Newly Married Wife Caught Red-handed Having Sex With Ex During Honeymoon- (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.