Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,849 members, 7,802,718 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:53 PM

10 Reasons Why You Should Consider Staying In Family House During NYSC - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / 10 Reasons Why You Should Consider Staying In Family House During NYSC (34746 Views)

Why You Should Choose Kano Instead Of Abuja & Akwa Ibom During NYSC Registration / NCCF Family House Demolished In Zamfara / Reasons Why You Shouldn't Stay In Family House During NYSC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Reasons Why You Should Consider Staying In Family House During NYSC by XtraSmooth404: 7:29pm On Jan 28, 2015
Last night I took a trip down memory lane. I couldn’t help but smile at my experience: the good, bad, ugly and dirty! I’m not much of a writer, but somehow I just wish I can pen down everything in details.

Last time I checked, it’s almost two (2) weeks to sum it up to year I had my POP. I decided to share a few reasons for prospective corps members who haven’t made up their minds about accommodation ish, and why you should consider staying in family house. Mind you, there are stringent rules to be obeyed, but then I kinda feel the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages for a corper relying on your allowee.

Coming from someone who stayed both in the family house and corper’s lodge for a reasonable length of time, I see the following reasons as advantages one can benefit from.

(1) SPIRITUAL GROWTH: For a graduate with Christian upbringing and who honestly wants to live a Christ-like life, the family house is the best place you can think of. Prayers and worship are usually not less than twice in a day.

(2) LEADERSHIP EXPERIENCE: As a member of family house, you may be elected for various offices such as the President, Vice President, Secretary-General, PRO, Treasurer etc. You stand to gain a whole lot from such leadership pedestal. Such leadership positions can be written on your CV and the activities involved could be referenced during behavioural interviews.
In addition, all the CLO during my service year were staying in the family house.

(3) FIRST-HAND INFORMATION: This is sequel to point (2) above. The CLO is a corps liaison officer. Information on clearance, POP date & venue, NYSC-related matters, etc passes from the CLO to the immediate occupants of the family house before it gets to the ‘Ordinary Corper’ in the same village/town.

(4) SAFETY: Family houses are safe to a reasonable extent. There are rules to be kept to ensure everyone’s safety.

(5) CULINARY AND HANDCRAFT SKILLS: This is where we know the potential wife materials, lol. There are ladies on the cooking roster that you just wish they could be made to cook every day! They cook so well that you can’t help but beg for more. On the other hand, there are names you see on duty and be like ‘’guy, make I reach Express chop, na Princess dey kitchen today o!
The good thing is you will be made jest of, but in the long run, you must learn. Also, anyone who is eager to learn bead making, wire works, and all that ish is opportune to learn, most times for free!

(6) HAVEN FOR NURSING MOTHERS: There are willing corpers who would happily babysit your cute baby while you sleep, wash or go out.

(7) RELATIVELY CHEAP: With monthly subscription fee ranging from N4,000 to N6,000, depending on your location, you are guaranteed a decent two-square meal and a place to sleep. Just move in with your clothes, toiletries, laptop, etc. You need not bother about buying pots, stove, palm oil, and general foodstuff. Just subscribe and enjoy. You can get your personal provisions though.

(cool REFERRALS: Staying in family house means you’ll be present in church often and also join the youths in various activities. You get to be seen by people and trust me, you never can tell who’s WHO amongst the congregation.

(9) YOU’LL NEVER WALK ALONE: This is self-explanatory, wherever you wanna go, even if it’s just a casual stroll, there’s always someone interested in same thing. Just make sure if you are a guy, you don’t always hang out with a particular girl, cos everyone will assume you two are dating. Bottom line is wonderful friendship is established there.
There are entertainment gadgets like TV, DVD, GoTV or games to add fun to your stay.

(10) POST-NYSC: You could always show up at the family house even after POP. Maybe you need a place to stay for that important interview or aptitude test, you don’t have to feel stranded.

60 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Consider Staying In Family House During NYSC by XtraSmooth404: 7:29pm On Jan 28, 2015
You can add yours cheesy grin
Modified:
Sorry guys, had to 'steal' the FTC seat. The feeling is outta this world cheesy cheesy cheesy
NB: Family house here refers to either of MCAN, NACC, NCCF, or any apartment provided by your denomination during your NYSC program. These apartments are for corps members only.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Consider Staying In Family House During NYSC by donwise1(m): 8:00pm On Jan 28, 2015
k
Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Consider Staying In Family House During NYSC by ajoskele(m): 7:11am On Jan 29, 2015
Not NCCF sha!

4 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Consider Staying In Family House During NYSC by pendusky(m): 2:15pm On Jan 29, 2015
We have whatsapp group and I tell u its not dull place to be! corpers from all the state are represented! and from next week we are starting a presentations on how to make ur service yr a success "individual perspective" if u want to join us whatsapp 08080203728

BTW op ur a saviour to many u never met! thanks

2 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Consider Staying In Family House During NYSC by XtraSmooth404: 2:39pm On Jan 29, 2015
ajoskele:
Not NCCF sha!
How about NACC? Well...it could be your location though.

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Consider Staying In Family House During NYSC by XtraSmooth404: 2:40pm On Jan 29, 2015
pendusky:
We have whatsapp group and I tell u its not dull place to be! corpers from all the state are represented! and from next week we are starting a presentations on how to make ur service yr a success "individual perspective" if u want to join us whatsapp 08080203728

BTW op ur a saviour to many u never met! thanks
Glad I could help cool
Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Consider Staying In Family House During NYSC by ajoskele(m): 2:54pm On Jan 29, 2015
XtraSmooth404:

How about NACC? Well...it could be your location though.
Is NACC not catholic? There are complaints about them too.

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Consider Staying In Family House During NYSC by Jamean(f): 3:18pm On Jan 29, 2015
It's really nice to stay in family house. Mine wasn't NCCF though (their rules no be here o). I had an apartment somewhere else in town closer to my PPA, but I loved the whole lodge tingy.

After staying in my apartment for 3months, I didn't just want the whole space anymore. 'Cause I really wanted to learn how to live with people, accomodate, tolerate, do big pot cooking wink e.t.c and twas a lovely experience.

My lodge was fun-filled, yet there was discipline. It availed me leadership opportunities, ability to save and spiritual growth (you don't want to mess up when scheduled to lead prayer meeting or anchor bible study).

I mingled with very wonderful people that are a great part of my life now.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Consider Staying In Family House During NYSC by NnamdiN: 7:05pm On Jan 29, 2015
Try NCCF and you'd think you were back to primary school. One month with them was "hell". Somebody wearing the same khaki as me asking me to stand and give reasons why I didn't attend fellowship, after reluctantly standing o, he said I was folding my hands and that it was disrespectful. Nysc/nccf asiide, I for break that small boy head.
I stayed that long coz I didn't have a ppa.
I'd never stay in a family house(whatever the benefits)

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Consider Staying In Family House During NYSC by XtraSmooth404: 9:22am On Jan 30, 2015
Jamean:
It's really nice to stay in family house. Mine wasn't NCCF though (their rules no be here o). I had an apartment somewhere else in town closer to my PPA, but I loved the whole lodge tingy.

After staying in my apartment for 3months, I didn't just want the whole space anymore. 'Cause I really wanted to learn how to live with people, accomodate, tolerate, do big pot cooking wink e.t.c and twas a lovely experience.

My lodge was fun-filled, yet there was discipline. It availed me leadership opportunities, ability to save and spiritual growth (you don't want to mess up when scheduled to lead prayer meeting or anchor bible study).

I mingled with very wonderful people that are a great part of my life now.
I can imagine grin
Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Consider Staying In Family House During NYSC by XtraSmooth404: 9:23am On Jan 30, 2015
ajoskele:
Is NACC not catholic? There are complaints about them too.
Sure, but not like NCCF I guess.

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Consider Staying In Family House During NYSC by ajoskele(m): 9:26am On Jan 30, 2015
XtraSmooth404:

Sure, but not like NCCF I guess.
Of course not..NACC guys do NOT pretend. And you know most are of Igbo descent.
Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Consider Staying In Family House During NYSC by XtraSmooth404: 9:34am On Jan 30, 2015
NnamdiN:
Try NCCF and you'd think you were back to primary school. One month with them was "hell". Somebody wearing the same khaki as me asking me to stand and give reasons why I didn't attend fellowship, after reluctantly standing o, he said I was folding my hands and that it was disrespectful. Nysc/nccf asiide, I for break that small boy head.
I stayed that long coz I didn't have a ppa.
I'd never stay in a family house(whatever the benefits)
Funny experience sha, lol. I been stubborn that year oh, cos @ a point, I felt they just wan find my trouble. Provided you had obeyed the rules or opted for permission before the fellowship, that 'small boy' wouldn't have any reason to call you out, would he? NCCF sha grin
Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Consider Staying In Family House During NYSC by NnamdiN: 9:47am On Jan 30, 2015
XtraSmooth404:

Funny experience sha, lol. I been stubborn that year oh, cos @ a point, I felt they just wan find my trouble. Provided you had obeyed the rules or opted for permission before the fellowship, that 'small boy' wouldn't have any reason to call you out, would he? NCCF sha grin
I beg to differ, as long as their rules were concerned, I didn't break any. Fellowships aren't compulsory, it was never stated in their rules so I was free to do as I pleased. The dude just wanted to flex his nccf muscles. He saw me at shoprite some weeks later buying alcohol(which were prohibited in the house grin) I prayed to everything for that nigger to mistakenly approach me and spill bulllshiiit grin. I've never wished for a fight so badly cheesy cheesy had this urge to smash something on his head
Nccf God save am, e do like say e no see me

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Consider Staying In Family House During NYSC by XtraSmooth404: 9:48am On Jan 30, 2015
ajoskele:
Of course not..NACC guys do NOT pretend. And you know most are of Igbo descent.
Not entirely true. Mine was mixed up; Igbo, Edo, yoruba. Presido was yoruba, some of the Igbos schooled in the South West. Them just dey speak yoruba then. At a point, we reminded them that English was the official language.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Consider Staying In Family House During NYSC by ajoskele(m): 10:26am On Jan 30, 2015
XtraSmooth404:

Not entirely true. Mine was mixed up; Igbo, Edo, yoruba. Presido was yoruba, some of the Igbos schooled in the South West. Them just dey speak yoruba then. At a point, we reminded them that English was the official language.
lol...well, I wrote MOST.
Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Consider Staying In Family House During NYSC by XtraSmooth404: 12:30pm On Jan 30, 2015
NnamdiN:
I beg to differ, as long as their rules were concerned, I didn't break any. Fellowships aren't compulsory, it was never stated in their rules so I was free to do as I pleased. The dude just wanted to flex his nccf muscles. He saw me at shoprite some weeks later buying alcohol(which were prohibited in the house grin) I prayed to everything for that nigger to mistakenly approach me and spill bulllshiiit grin. I've never wished for a fight so badly cheesy cheesy had this urge to smash something on his head
Nccf God save am, e do like say e no see me
Wow! Fellowship ain't compulsory? The 'F' in NCCF itself is Fellowship, how come? Lol. Alcohol isn't allowed in the house, but you can still drink outside, provided you don't get drunk grin isn't that flexible enough?
Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Consider Staying In Family House During NYSC by XtraSmooth404: 12:32pm On Jan 30, 2015
ajoskele:
lol...well, I wrote MOST.
Alright
Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Consider Staying In Family House During NYSC by NnamdiN: 12:37pm On Jan 30, 2015
XtraSmooth404:

Wow! Fellowship ain't compulsory? The 'F' in NCCF itself is Fellowship, how come? Lol. Alcohol isn't allowed in the house, but you can still drink outside, provided you don't get drunk grin isn't that flexible enough?
lol the morning and evening fellowship no do them? It wasn't even in the house, we had to go to one church like that. I've left them sha, can't deal with their rules.
Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Consider Staying In Family House During NYSC by XtraSmooth404: 3:31pm On Jan 30, 2015
NnamdiN:
lol the morning and evening fellowship no do them? It wasn't even in the house, we had to go to one church like that. I've left them sha, can't deal with their rules.
They pushed you beyond the limit you could take. But was it on a working day? You for just ball out claim say you go your PPA, lol

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Consider Staying In Family House During NYSC by NnamdiN: 4:05pm On Jan 30, 2015
XtraSmooth404:

They pushed you beyond the limit you could take. But was it on a working day? You for just ball out claim say you go your PPA, lol
was on a Sunday. I go high with some other "rebels".

I'm a first child, not used to taking orders especially when I know we're "mates" cheesy

2 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Consider Staying In Family House During NYSC by Odunharry(m): 6:31pm On Jan 30, 2015
Nice one..
Bt Nothing be like privacy

Lalasticlala,ishilove

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Consider Staying In Family House During NYSC by lalasticlala(m): 6:45pm On Jan 30, 2015
XtraSmooth404 I had expected u to have defined the term 'family house' Bcs lay man may think u are talking about ones parents house. Except for those of us that had passed through the Nysc system, that would understand..

6 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Consider Staying In Family House During NYSC by toxiflam: 6:49pm On Jan 30, 2015
kul
Back in the days of Akamba Nsukara,
In the House mama voice " Come and carry your food ooo, mbok"
** I love this family of God**
Holla if u grab my gist

11 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Consider Staying In Family House During NYSC by Ishilove: 6:49pm On Jan 30, 2015
I value privacy. I had the opportunity to stay at the family house but I didn't take it for the simple fact that I prefer my own company. I didn't want anybody all up in my business.

3 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Consider Staying In Family House During NYSC by Ewuro4: 6:49pm On Jan 30, 2015
Def a must for girls.
Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Consider Staying In Family House During NYSC by pat077: 6:50pm On Jan 30, 2015
After spendin three regimented weeks in d camp, i can't imgaine puttin myself in bondage for a whole service year. The two days i stayed in d family house durin my service yr was like hell. Imagine someone tellin me i can't wear singlet outdoors durin d hot weather. I can't cook my own meals, i must fellowship wit u - na by force?
Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Consider Staying In Family House During NYSC by tempex88(m): 6:50pm On Jan 30, 2015
I stayed in family house and I was landlord/TOS

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Male Corper Proposes To Fellow Corper: In The Spirit Of Val (Pics) / Corps Members On A Fun Trip To Obudu Cattle Ranch **PICTURES** / We Won’t Scrap NYSC, Says FG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.