Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,974 members, 7,806,831 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:55 AM

Ideas On Improving The Country?? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ideas On Improving The Country?? (451 Views)

$250 Million Was Spent On Health, Education And Improving The Lives Of The Poor / Senate Hails Fayemi For Improving 2016 IGR From N700 Million To N2 Billion / Ideas On Improving The Country?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Ideas On Improving The Country?? by trublood(m): 12:50pm On Jan 29, 2015
The following paragraphs might be poorly constructed, i just wanted to get my point across.
So soon elections will come to an end, and all the promises made by all the parties involved will end with it. We can all attest to the fact that our government have failed us. They keep building hotels(mainly used by the upper class), roads(which they don't maintain), shopping centers and malls of which most of the middle class and lower class can not afford. Our health sector is poor, unemployment rate increases yearly and there is little to no basic amenities for more than half of the population. Most people in power(including private firms) are not held accountable for most of their actions and even when they are they still get around the system.

The maintenance policy is appalling. I remember when i first used the Lagos international airport in December of 2009 and it was like i was in a different country, the departure procedures were smooth, the service agents were nice and respectful, the airport(and washroom) was clean, air-condition was functioning, as in it was on some next level poo(don't think i am allowed to curse here). Fast-forward to 2012, i came visiting(i study in Canada) and to my surprise the airport was a complete mess. The returning process was so slow, i had to stand in line for more than an hour before it got to my turn, the crowd was large because they mixed people who arrived from Holland and France together so the air was suffocating(people with bad breath, bad body odor, some spat on me when they talked and there was no space at all). When it got to my turn, i noticed that there were 6 service agents, a pair in each stall, but only 3 of them were actually working, 2 of them attending to foreigners and only 1 attending to Nigerians. Outside the airport was no different, cars were parked anyhow, there was Little space to drive through , it was a complete mess. Places and infrastructures like the police academy will never be improved upon instead the buildings are allowed to rot(at least they repainted most of the buildings).

I believe we are in the perfect situation to learn as there are more developed countries now and we can learn and improve upon what they have done to help themselves. So i would like you to answer the following questions:
(1) What can we do to improve the economy??
I believe we need to start manufacturing our own products, even if it is something small like breakfast cereal. I am tired of seeing companies like nestle and Kellogg gain earn billions of dollars over the years from us. Our agricultural sector has remained untouched for far too long, we have way too many resources to let it go to waste by waiting for the government to do something about it. Companies like Dstv and MTN has reaped us off over the years, especially Dstv(my dad always have to pay the N45000 every month for subscription which was way too expensive). Also, we need to improve our local sports(especially basketball and football), and in general our entertainment sector. I choose basketball because it takes up less space than football and if done well would attract lots of attention from other west African or African countries in general especially female basketball.

(2) How do we reduce ethnocentrism in the country?? i believe we need to start manufacturing our own products, even if it is something small
I was thinking back to my secondary school days in Igbobi College(only had my JS1 there), so there were a lot of people from different tribes, background and religion. During the first weeks of school, most of us associated with only those we had things in common with and all the elements i mentioned previously separated us, some got annoyed when people from different religion prayed in the dorm and some wealthy students acted like they were better than the others. But after a couple of weeks, everyone started talking to everyone, and soon we were like a family and we all put their differences aside. On one occasion, some students nearly lynched a senior for insulting a Muslim member of our dorm and stepping on his Qur'an, though we ended up getting punished for it. This wasn't the case for the day students, even though some of them weren't bothered most of them would insult and belittle other students based on their tribe and religion. The person that got the most abuse was the guy that sat beside me, because he always brought his Qur'an to school to read during breaks(he later died during the school year from a car accident). My second school was in the Enugu, which was christian dominated, so people only judged others based on how wealthy there parents were(this i found very common in the east). The differences between the day and boarding school students was something i have thought about and the only answer i could come up with was that the day students were influenced by what they say in the society and media than us. if you have a different opinion please share, and i apologize if it has nothing to do with the topic, it's just something i wanted to share

(3) How do we get people to care more and be more involved in what happens in the country??
It was very disheartening watching and reading Nigerian's reaction to the Boko haram problem. some were making jokes about the 2000(not sure how many it was but does that really matter) people that died, others immediately turned it into a GEJ and GMB debate?? People are less bothered about it because it only affects the North but then are we not allowing them grow more in power, in number and gain more territory with that attitude. What would happen when they are too strong to contain, is it then we start looking for solutions. Also, i grew up in Lagos then spent most of my secondary school days in Enugu, BTW am from Imo, and i always hear people saying they want to divide and that it is the only way to bring peace, but have we actually tried to make peace with other tribes. I am against division of the country, because i believe that for peace to be achieved all parties involved have to be united and most South Eastern states are no united(i might be wrong and if i am please educate me)

(4) How to we encourage people to use locally made products??

(5) How do we change the get rich quick or "short term" thinking that most Nigerians have??
what i mean buy short term is, most Nigerians when they go into business don't think on how to improve their businesses. They want money now and will hike up their prices and will be too greedy to pay their workers well then cry foul when their business fails.

(6) How can we improve our education sector and introduce volunteer activities in our society??
Northerners most especially have a high number of illiterates and poverty, this people are out of touch with the world and are left with this northern politicians who easily influence them. This is one major factor for terrorism in the country. Boko haram will keep on growing in number because of this and even if they are wiped out, the they will sill breed another sect. Some villages all over Nigeria have abandoned and degraded schools. Most university students graduate from schools having only the theoretical knowledge of what they are taught. Churches and mosques keep continue feeding off the poor and most knowledge they get doesn't help our society. Police and some business sectors abuse their power because most people don't now their rights. Back in 2006 i was arrested for loitering on sanitation day, i was 13 then. When i got to the station i saw almost 20 people, about 4-5 around my age. Then they started telling us how we were going to be sent to court on that same day and sentenced unless we saw the DPO and settled him. On of them even asked why kids were arrested but they shut him up. Anyways, people started begging, children crying, and some were already pricing how how there released and others went to the ATM beside the station to get money. The parents of the other kids came by and paid up, but when my mum came she simply just threatened to call her lawyer because what they weren't supposed to arrest kids much less taking bail(bribe) money for me and they just let me go.

Okay, this is becoming too long. If i made an mistake or made a wrong assumption let me know, and please no need for insults lets keep it civil. There is no place like home.

(1) (Reply)

BEST Rating Platform-gej Vs BUHARI / Which Other Gates? - Timothy Nkenu / Why Jonathan Why?????

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.