Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,863 members, 7,806,441 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 04:37 PM

What Exactly Is PDP Scared Of? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Exactly Is PDP Scared Of? (723 Views)

Why Is Pdp Scared Of Inec’s Card Reader? / Is PDP Sharing Mobile Phones As A Campaign Strategy? / Why Is PDP Damn Keen On Bringing Buhari Down (the Guardian Newspaper Pg32) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Exactly Is PDP Scared Of? by okonja(m): 1:00am On Jan 30, 2015

I've been watching several adverts on Youtube, AIT and Silverbird Television, campaigning for GEJ as PDP's presidential candidate for the Feb. 14 elections. And each one of them that I've seen begins with a short capture of Buhari's past military regime, with strong derogatory statements about the opposition, an act that should be referred to as 'Character assassination.'

The one I saw this morning on STv, even my kid brother was marveled! He looked at me and asked, "it's this not killing?" lol ...That was probably the best word he could use. I immediately turned to him and replied, "They should all be arrested!" And he agreed with me totally by the look on his face, and adding that the first people to be arrested should be the TV owners. I laughed. You know, we got to help the pure minds of our younger ones, lest they begin to think corruption is a norm! 'Cos this is definitely an unethical method of campaigning.

This reminds me of one distant friend I had then in Government College, Lagos. He was the then President of the JETS club. At the beginning of a new session when the school has admitted new SSS 1 students, all the school clubs and societies would go all out in search of new members. Every club and society would print fliers, banners e.t.c, illuminating the new students on why they should register with their respective club, without passing any form of derogatory statements against the other societies.
But in that particular session, this friend of mine would walk into the junior science classes, making jest of other societies and clubs, and promoting, on that basis, his JETS club. One beautiful afternoon,when the other clubs had discovered what he was doing, they collectively gave him the beating of his life right in front of the class. He was taken to the hospital that day,and resumed school the next week with bandages.

Apart from my friend’s story, I believe it’s abnormal in any democratic society, to build a fan base by demonizing your competitor, whether in business, in religion or in politics. Insofar as Indomie noodles wishes to win the hearts of all primary school children in the country, they’re informed enough never to cause other brands of noodles to appear evil to the public. Your adverts must only show the uniqueness of your own product. So also would MTN not pass sensitive statements about the other communication giants.
That’s just the way it is done: everyone minds their own business! The same applies to politics. Other than the usual funny pictures & posts on social sites - which some actually do for fun - once it's on TV, o boy, it has become a serious matter o!

Sometimes, I wonder if anything is censored in this country, where we only hear of the censor board if Olamide and his colleagues releases music videos promoting extreme nudity or homosexuality. Ermmm, well, if the censor board is only meant for Nollywood, then we should educate those nonprofessionals working in the Television stations. How can you accept to air such an advert on your television, knowing that you have a mixed audience? Is it always all about the money? Or isn’t your professional status and public rating at stake too? Welcome to Nigeria! Nobody seem to be desiring to stand out.

I also think that the choice of assassinating the character of a competitor is born only when you've tried all possible methods and not succeed; it's a strategy you implore when you feel really threatened by his current position in the minds of the public and you've run out of innovations. This strategy seem to be the final resort for them PDP people! But one would be forced to ask, what exactly are they scared off? Isn't it democracy, that the people will have to elect who they wish to lead them for a short period of 4yrs? Can't the people also vote out who they think did not perform up to their expectations? And won't the people also take same step to vote out Buhari after 4yrs if he abuses the privilege given to him? It's "the people" government, let them decide! If they wish to dwell in the past, they know how to get historical information; it just shouldn't be you (PDP) that will tell them. Don't you also have your flaws? Mind your business, and stop corrupting our democracy with an unethical method of campaigning!

One would also wonder if PDP's desire to retain power is for their own interest or the interest of the citizenry. "Cos the whole do-or-die thing is making us suspicious. The opposition – a fellow citizen, who deserves to hold public offices just like any other Nigerian - cannot be a threat to the country; this is not military governance, we have representatives in the house to crisscross his decisions as a democratic President. (well, at least, that's how it should be!) Talking about ‘bad’ temperament; is there anybody with a ‘good’ temperament? Leave Nigerians to decide, and mind your business. If you win, congratulations; if you lose, step aside for change!

Am I writing in support of any political party, or am I campaigning too? Nah! I just like things being done in the right way, avoiding excesses that may ruin your brother's image, happiness and confidence; I’m saying what I think about the PDP campaign strategy, that it is not an ethical way of selling one’s product. While the other party is campaigning with the word CHANGE, the ruling party can only think of the word BUHARI. Someone should call them to order, and ask the TV stations to stop abusing the attention of their audience. If you want to campaign for a political candidate, do so without “killing” his opponents! Be creative!

As for me, I’ve gotten my PVC since the very first week INEC began the distribution. I definitely know who I’ll vote for! And that again is my personal business.

Source:-Civilized Ben

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Exactly Is PDP Scared Of? by cycline404(m): 1:17am On Jan 30, 2015
Ha. GMB
Re: What Exactly Is PDP Scared Of? by Champele(m): 1:25am On Jan 30, 2015
Thank God you said 'your kid brother.i quess he dont know buhari. Its normal,kids ara kids.
Re: What Exactly Is PDP Scared Of? by dharyour93(m): 1:30am On Jan 30, 2015
I once thought of it. The way PDP campaigns are going, it looks like they've gotten to a point where they feel the next thing is to say sickening words about the main opponent. PDP has used a lot of strategies to destroy Buhari's reputation but they've been failing.

Last week, AIT did a documentary of Buhari's past. This week, they brought out a false statement that apc hacked their poll bla bla bla.

This is uncalled for. IS PDP REALLY READY FOR A PEACEFUL ELECTION?
Re: What Exactly Is PDP Scared Of? by kossyablaze(m): 2:00am On Jan 30, 2015
Hmmm.....losn the oil wells to #change!!!

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Exactly Is PDP Scared Of? by temitemi1(m): 3:28am On Jan 30, 2015
Very soon we will hear of apc no more... Is goin to be all abt PDP maybe a bit of SDP n labour party... Watch out!! GEJ till 2019!!!
Re: What Exactly Is PDP Scared Of? by Yungwhy(m): 4:23am On Jan 30, 2015
I wonder where AIT is going with the Buhari Documentary tho..... Clips wey dem no show for us to know more about the history of Nigeria, but they're more ready to show it instead of Super Story. Just to stop people from trying to vote for their biggest fear...... BUHARI

1 Like

Re: What Exactly Is PDP Scared Of? by luvmijeje(f): 4:40am On Jan 30, 2015
I also think that the choice of assassinating the character of a competitor is born only when you've tried all possible methods and not succeed; it's a strategy you implore when you feel really threatened by his current position in the minds of the public and you've run out of innovations. This strategy seem to be the final resort for them PDP people
In addition, the public are not buying into it, the timing and sequencing of those lies makes it unbelievable.

(1) (Reply)

Jega's Press Conference On Elections Date Postponed / How Much Is The Pay Of A PDP Or APC E-rat / OBJ Vs GEJ (head-to-head)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.