Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,288 members, 7,807,977 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:54 AM

Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military? - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military? (18738 Views)

2017 JAMB Mathematics (A Review) / Is Mathematics As A Course Competitive In Oau Or Other Federal University / Is Mathematics Real, Trick Or Magic?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military? by abiambo(m): 4:11pm On Jan 30, 2015
ShowYourCertificate:
Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military?

I ask this question because Buhari's result have been released to the public and in the result he had an F9 in Mathematics.

Military Officers are meant to be knowledgeable in quantification of military hardwares and other items. For example, a colonel should know the difference between 4 armoured tanks and 1 fighter jet in terms of weight difference, volume difference, etc. The knowledge of such difference will enable the colonel plan the logistics in the transport of such hardwares from one point to another.

Also mathematical terms such a Bearing, Longitude and Lattitude, Projectiles, Trigonometry, Calculus, Matrices, Lagrange Multiplier, Statistics, etc. are common terminologies used in the military. Someone with an F9 in mathematics will definitely not be able to use such mathematical terminologies with dexterity during military warfare.

So I wonder why someone with an F9 in mathematics should be commissioned into the Military.

Perhaps that isn't Buhari's Result after all. I say this because that result appears to be fake and Buhari hasn't made any statement accepting the result as published by the Principal of his almamater. I hereby call on Buhari to either accept or reject the result as published. If he rejects it, he should do us a favour and show us his certificate (#BuhariShowYourCertificate). But If he accepts it, it means our Military actually enlisted Buhari despite failing Mathematics. If they did, was it the right thing to do?

Lets discuss smiley
Mr Integrity obviously got there via corruption.
Re: Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military? by blakky97(m): 4:13pm On Jan 30, 2015
[quote author=ShowYourCertificate post=30267302]Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military?

I ask this question because Buhari's result have been released to the public and in the result he had an F9 in Mathematics.

Military Officers are meant to be knowledgeable in quantification of military hardwares and other items. For example, a colonel should know the difference between 4 armoured tanks and 1 fighter jet in terms of weight difference, volume difference, etc. The knowledge of such difference will enable the colonel plan the logistics in the transport of such hardwares from one point to another.

Also mathematical terms such a Bearing, Longitude and Lattitude, Projectiles, Trigonometry, Calculus, Matrices, Lagrange Multiplier, Statistics, etc. are common terminologies used in the military. Someone with an F9 in mathematics will definitely not be able to use such mathematical terminologies with dexterity during military warfare.

So I wonder why someone with an F9 in mathematics should be commissioned into the Military.

Perhaps that isn't Buhari's Result after all. I say this because that result appears to be fake and Buhari hasn't made any statement accepting the result as published by the Principal of his almamater. I hereby call on Buhari to either accept or reject the result as published. If he rejects it, he should do us a favour and show us his certificate (#BuhariShowYourCertificate). But If he accepts it, it means our Military actually enlisted Buhari despite failing Mathematics. If they did, was it the right thing to do?

Lets discuss smiley[/quote?
regular and short service commission require mathematics now
but direct short service commissioning at the time buhari was in the military definitely didnt have mathematics ae a pre-requisite I dunno about now.
Re: Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military? by IVORY2009(m): 4:16pm On Jan 30, 2015
PlutoLA:

Guy what you should understand is that failing maths doesn't mean you dont know it and you can't apply it. After all dont white students also fail English in their own exams? Does that mean they can't speak it? The maths they'll teach them in the military in terms of bearing and all that is practical therefore easier to understand,compared to calculating on paper. Using a sniper to calculate the distance of the enemy is easier than solving it on paper. Hope you get my point

[b][color=#FF660] I would agree with you to some extent, but not totally, let us be pratical oriented abit, have you seen some of the latest video games and computer games, that has to do with wars, shooting, aiming @ the enemy, sometimes playing those games alone, one has to calculate using mathematical teminology, like the distance frm where one is to the other end before shooting @ sight, length n breath of a peremiter, now on a real senerio, assuming a Nigerian army is sent to some of these highly technological advance countries, like Us, Russia, Great B, Isreal, Japan, South Korea etc for a UN peace keeping, with out the knowledge of Geography, Mathematics, he can not understand even the teaching, I would agree, it will take longer time for him/her to understand, my brother, mathematics is highly recommended.

Yes white people fail english in their exams, but they can speak it, becos it is their mother tongue, but mathematics is a different ball game, the Chikobi's of the world will testify to this.[/b][/color]
Re: Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military? by blakky97(m): 4:17pm On Jan 30, 2015
ShowYourCertificate:

Lets discuss smiley
regular and short service commission require mathematics now but direct short service commissioning at the time buhari was in the military definitely didnt have mathematics as a pre-requisite. I dunno about now.
Re: Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military? by Bishop(m): 4:26pm On Jan 30, 2015
Remember that Ojukwu was the first graduate Commissioned officer in the Nigerian Army...others grew in by ranks as they progressed academically.I really don't think that at the time GMB got into the Military that Mathematics was compulsory.If i can remember that one could even gain admission into the university in nigeria with 4 credits in the 80,s that was before Jamb came into being,I stand to be corrected.Jamb was established in 1977
Re: Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military? by Samguine: 4:31pm On Jan 30, 2015
richybanky:

Psam baba I see u ✌
Baba himself. I hail o cheesy
Re: Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military? by walosha(f): 4:31pm On Jan 30, 2015
afuye:

[size=15pt]PLEASE BEFORE WE JUDGE OTHERS, LET US TRY TO PUT OUR HOME IN ORDER. I THINK THIS ESSAYIST FAILD ENGLISH[/size].
[s]Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military?[/s] ( The sentence really asks a fundamental question here. Is it Mathematics who wants to be commissioned or somesone ?
Military Officers are meant to be knowledgeable in quantification of military hardwares ( It cannot be in plural form ) and other items. For example, a colonel should know the difference between 4 armoured tanks and 1 fighter jet in terms of weight difference, volume difference, etc. The knowledge of such difference will enable the colonel plan the logistics in the transport of such hardwares from one point to another. ( I also note the excessive use of word defference in this context)
Also mathematical terms such a Bearing, Longitude and Lattitude ( wrong spelling), Projectiles, Trigonometry, Calculus, Matrices, Lagrange Multiplier, Statistics, etc. are common terminologies used in the military. Someone with an F9 in mathematics will definitely not be able to use such mathematical terminologies with dexterity during military warfare.

[size=20pt]OYA NOW, IT IS GETTING FUNNY[/size]
Re: Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military? by nickxtra(m): 4:32pm On Jan 30, 2015
As at 1961, over 50 years ago, I doubt if it was compulsory, considering the fact that education was not that developed the way it is now in Nigeria, not to talk of education in Northern Nigeria, which is still far behind in educational advancement, in 2015
Re: Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military? by Samguine: 4:34pm On Jan 30, 2015
dptrix:

i love matured minds like you... you said the truth about the issue being discussed and still chose who you wanted...

For me the two parties PDP and APC are the same,; so we can vote for who we want
Let the election decide who win rule
Thanks for the observation smiley

As for the bold statement, you are quite right. Let the electorate decide.
Re: Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military? by manny4life(m): 4:48pm On Jan 30, 2015
thegoodjoehunt3:
Are You Eligible to Join the Military?

Military.com
Eligibility rules can be a little confusing. There are different rules for enlisting and for officer programs. Enlisting: Enlisted members do the hands-on work of the military. They need at least a high school degree (a GED may or may not suffice). Officer: Officers are the managers of the military. Most officer programs require a college degree at minimum, and are very competitive. Many officers have master's or higher degrees. Before you visit your local recruiter, be sure you meet the minimum qualifications for serving in the U.S. Armed Forces. Some qualifications are required by all five services:

You must be a U.S. citizen or resident alien.
You must be at least 17 years old (17-year old applicants require parental consent).
You must (with very few exceptions) have a high school diploma.
You must pass a physical medical exam.
For each branch, there are slightly different enlistment requirements:
http://m.military.com/join-armed-forces/join-the-military-basic-eligibility.html

Note the bolded. It is possible to join the Military without a high school diploma. There are few exceptions as the bolded said.

So the answer to your question is yes.

This is for the American military. I believe it can serve as a good reference.

So if someone can join the American Military without a diploma/ certificate, I think someone with a diploma with a failure in Maths can go through on special occasions.

The exception they are referring to is called a GED almost equivalent to a HSD. No branch of the U.S. Military will allow you entry without the minimum of a GED. Besides, the GED and HSD is just so that you can take the ASVAB and/or the Aptitude Test. If you fail the test, you are not entering the military... In other words, you cannot join the military if you don't have the necessary requirement to even seat for the qualification exam.
Re: Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military? by PlutoLA(m): 4:53pm On Jan 30, 2015
IVORY2009:

[b][color=#FF660] I would agree with you to some extent, but not totally, let us be pratical oriented abit, have you seen some of the latest video games and computer games, that has to do with wars, shooting, aiming @ the enemy, sometimes playing those games alone, one has to calculate using mathematical teminology, like the distance frm where one is to the other end before shooting @ sight, length n breath of a peremiter, now on a real senerio, assuming a Nigerian army is sent to some of these highly technological advance countries, like Us, Russia, Great B, Isreal, Japan, South Korea etc for a UN peace keeping, with out the knowledge of Geography, Mathematics, he can not understand even the teaching, I would agree, it will take longer time for him/her to understand, my brother, mathematics is highly recommended.

Yes white people fail english in their exams, but they can speak it, becos it is their mother tongue, but mathematics is a different ball game, the Chikobi's of the world will testify to this.[/b][/color]

Well yeah,you're right there. But let's also remember it was 1961 so technology hadn't gotten so far. And besides education was new in Nigeria then so you can't expect students of back then to grasp it the technicality behind it so easily,that's why maths wasn't given paramount importance.
Re: Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military? by obaayo2: 4:55pm On Jan 30, 2015
during those days you can join the military as long aa u have ur 5credits..dey dont compulsory enhlish and math like they do today..so he could have joined.
Re: Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military? by IVORY2009(m): 4:57pm On Jan 30, 2015
PlutoLA:

Well yeah,you're right there. But let's also remember it was 1961 so technology hadn't gotten so far. And besides education was new in Nigeria then so you can't expect students of back then to grasp it the technicality behind it so easily,that's why maths wasn't given paramount importance.

dats true!
Re: Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military? by Nobody: 5:19pm On Jan 30, 2015
IVORY2009:

The question is, if mathematics is compulsory for military recuitment, and there is nothing like military in the 60's and now, how do you as a military man calculate in terms of aiming @ your enemy, even ploting a graph to see how far or near your ememy territory is, involves a high level of mathematics, in otherwords mathematics is highly needed to do dat, geographical calculation nkor? Mathematics is needed.

That he failed a Maths examination does not mean he cannot do these things you mentioned above.
Re: Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military? by ahmedolawale: 5:19pm On Jan 30, 2015
Obinoscopy:
I'm not well versed in Military activities but I think Mathematics should be compulsory. A pass in English Language may be condoned but a Credit or a Distinction in Mathematics should be mandatory, IMO. However I think a Military personnel should be in a better position to answer this question.
Mathematics is not compulsory for some courses in NDA its only English dat is compulsory in all falcuties and department
Re: Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military? by ahmedolawale: 5:23pm On Jan 30, 2015
Bonapart:
Yes!! Very compulsory. Dnt ask why cos i dnt know why undecided
it is not compulsory u can confirm dis by looking for old NDA form from 58 Regular course downward. Its only compulsory for engineering and science cadets only
Re: Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military? by IVORY2009(m): 5:28pm On Jan 30, 2015
hifaif:

That he failed a Maths examination does not mean he cannot do these things you mentioned above.

Its like saying a medical doctor who failed Biology, Chemistry, Physic can still perform the functions of a medical doctor, would u allow such a doctor to treat you wen u are ill?

Yes he can do den, but not as perfect like some one who passed mathematics @ a rudimentary level.
Re: Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military? by FregeneB(m): 5:45pm On Jan 30, 2015
You should ask yourself; What Year Did GMB join the army.. What was the requirement THEN!. Especially for people Joining the army from the North. How long was he in the army before getting to the post of a General. You can judge the crimes of 2015 with the laws of 1806. Times have changed so has the rules.
Re: Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military? by Nobody: 5:47pm On Jan 30, 2015
ShowYourCertificate:

Perhaps that isn't Buhari's Result after all. I say this because that result appears to be fake and [b]Buhari hasn't made any statement accepting the result as published by the Principal of his almamater.
I hereby call on Buhari to either accept or reject the result as published. If he rejects it, he should do us a favour and show us his certificate (#BuhariShowYourCertificate). But If he accepts it, it means our Military actually enlisted Buhari despite failing Mathematics. If they did, was it the right thing to do?

Lets discuss smiley

The below is from the Military Board as

" Nevertheless, the entry made on the Nigerian Army Form 199A at the point of documentation after commission as an officer indicated that the former head of state obtained the West African School Certificate, WASC, in 1961 with credits in relevant subjects: English Language, Geography, History, Health Science, Hausa and a pass in English Literature. - See more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/01/army-speaks-buharis-certificates/#sthash.ZoN4vXgP.dpufhe"

How does the statement given by the military tally with the result released by the school?

1 Like

Re: Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military? by killercute16(m): 5:49pm On Jan 30, 2015
TCD:
military policy in 1961 is different from policy in 2015 .
Simple
Re: Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military? by Nobody: 6:10pm On Jan 30, 2015
IVORY2009:

Its like saying a medical doctor who failed Biology, Chemistry, Physic can still perform the functions of a medical doctor, would u allow such a doctor to treat you wen u are ill?

Yes he can do den, but not as perfect like some one who passed mathematics @ a rudimentary level.

What about doctors that passed these subjects and still end up as poor doctors. Placing too much emphasis on paper qualification is what is killing Africans. How many car builders in Japan, Korea or roadside mechanics or tailors in Nigeria have a cert. let alone, a pass in Mathematics?
Re: Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military? by liminister: 6:18pm On Jan 30, 2015
Obinoscopy:
I'm not well versed in Military activities but I think Mathematics should be compulsory. A pass in English Language may be condoned but a Credit or a Distinction in Mathematics should be mandatory, IMO. However I think a Military personnel should be in a better position to answer this question.
even 2day maths is nt complsry in d army. (4 credit including english)
Re: Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military? by oluamid(m): 6:42pm On Jan 30, 2015
chiedu7:
It looks like there is no record of General Buhari's certificate anywhere
So this certificate is fake
shocked

Funny you. So you go to Ghana to ask for a 1961 Nigerian certificate.

Genius clap for yourself.
Re: Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military? by ShowYourCertificate: 6:49pm On Jan 30, 2015
Jarus:

The below is from the Military Board as

" Nevertheless, the entry made on the Nigerian Army Form 199A at the point of documentation after commission as an officer indicated that the former head of state obtained the West African School Certificate, WASC, in 1961 with credits in relevant subjects: English Language, Geography, History, Health Science, Hausa and a pass in English Literature. - See more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/01/army-speaks-buharis-certificates/#sthash.ZoN4vXgP.dpufhe"

How does the statement given by the military tally with the result released by the school?

It tallied. I just checked.
Re: Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military? by Nobody: 6:57pm On Jan 30, 2015
oluamid:

Funny you. So you go to Ghana to ask for a 1961 Nigerian certificate.

Genius clap for yourself.

Some people didn't even know it was Cambridge that was conducting WASC then.
Re: Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military? by Nobody: 6:58pm On Jan 30, 2015
ShowYourCertificate:
It tallied. I just checked.

So if the military never had the result, how did it tally with what the school released?
Re: Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military? by marv1: 7:10pm On Jan 30, 2015
Chartey:
The requirements may have changed after so many decades. How many people
even had passes in Math in those days? Those were the days when a school leaver was seen as highly educated.
may be OP should ask his parents if maths was compulsary those days. If u happen to be a graduate those days u are a king. A job is waiting for u and car. Before now in admissions to university, u could combine results but not now. Times and things have changed over the years. So people should focus on real issues and let this certificate matter rest. Becos the more u drag it the more u are making buhari popular.
Re: Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military? by bellras(m): 7:12pm On Jan 30, 2015
Story story grin
Re: Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military? by marv1: 7:16pm On Jan 30, 2015
Jarus:

Some people didn't even know it was Cambridge that was conducting WASC then.

that is where they are missing it. Pre 1961 is not 2015. Colonia era. May be they have forgoten when nigeria got independence.
Re: Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military? by anonimi: 7:28pm On Jan 30, 2015
odk1:

During the Cambridge exam years mathematics was not a compulsory subject. if you know someone that schooled during that period you can confirm. As it affects the military then I'm not sure. But I guess it should not matter cos you don't even have to sit for the subject.

Absurd rationalisation filled with LIES as usual from the house of APCheat.
Re: Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military? by deavicky(m): 7:40pm On Jan 30, 2015
ShowYourCertificate:

Lets discuss smiley
colour copy of buhari's result! Ops are u sure u are not the one holding buhari's original result.
Re: Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military? by buchichukwu69: 7:42pm On Jan 30, 2015
[size=20pt]Thot you guys said Buhari had no result? Now you are criticizing his grades.
Una go talk true![/size]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Governor Ifeanyi Okowa Approves VCs For The 3 Newly-Established Universities / UNIMAID Teaching Hospital Spends ₦67 Million On Diesel Monthly - CMD / A Nairalander And His Friends Giving Back To The Society

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.