Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,317 members, 7,808,068 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:33 AM

Awolowo,Azikiwe And Aminu Kano Boycotted 1979 Presidential Debate - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Awolowo,Azikiwe And Aminu Kano Boycotted 1979 Presidential Debate (19472 Views)

See A Photo Of N1 Note That Was Used In 1979 When $1 Was Equal To N0.647 / Throwback Picture Of Nnamdi Azikiwe And Nkrumah In The 1960s / Photo: Obasanjo With His First Wife Remi(Mama Iyabo) Taking Breakfast In 1979 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Awolowo,Azikiwe And Aminu Kano Boycotted 1979 Presidential Debate by omenka(m): 12:53pm On Jan 30, 2015
Boooom!!! In your faces satans!! grin

2 Likes

Re: Awolowo,Azikiwe And Aminu Kano Boycotted 1979 Presidential Debate by Acidosis(m): 12:53pm On Jan 30, 2015
Hey dear, Unlike Buhari, Awolowo & Azikwe are well learned literates

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Awolowo,Azikiwe And Aminu Kano Boycotted 1979 Presidential Debate by Ikwokrikwo: 12:54pm On Jan 30, 2015
And they all lost.
Mtchew
Why not boycott and election organised by INEC since you can boycott a debate organised by BON?
If indeed Buhari is as clean as they say and has nothing to hide, why not present yourself for the debate? How exactly can they exhibit bias against you?
Re: Awolowo,Azikiwe And Aminu Kano Boycotted 1979 Presidential Debate by kestolove95(m): 12:54pm On Jan 30, 2015
I see no reason why GMB shud attend an organized debate wia d qstns hv been doctored by pdp..dats not a debate but anoda evenue. Set to redicule d people's general...wen dey are really ready for debate,we will welcome dem and giv dem d defeat of dia life..dey shud not for gt dat dix same GMB perfmed perfctli in d 2011 presidential debate
Re: Awolowo,Azikiwe And Aminu Kano Boycotted 1979 Presidential Debate by maestroferddi: 12:54pm On Jan 30, 2015
Why get stuck in the past?

If you want to beat a champion/strong man, you should muster enough clout, strategy and brainpower to beard the lion in his den.

The reality of incumbency confers on Jonathan certain fundamental headstart. A serious contender must be ready to surmount the seeming obstacles or else they would fail like the leaders referenced.

1 Like

Re: Awolowo,Azikiwe And Aminu Kano Boycotted 1979 Presidential Debate by Sylvarresta(m): 12:55pm On Jan 30, 2015
I see, nice one

1 Like

Re: Awolowo,Azikiwe And Aminu Kano Boycotted 1979 Presidential Debate by cr7lomo: 12:55pm On Jan 30, 2015
We don't liv in the past , we fight for our future . Buhari don fall hand period , and pls stop making excuses for failure

1 Like

Re: Awolowo,Azikiwe And Aminu Kano Boycotted 1979 Presidential Debate by atlwireles: 12:55pm On Jan 30, 2015
mymadam:

Did they really? On the 2/3 (two-thirds) saga? Ha, ha, ha! God bless Nigeria.

Who was president, after the election? No revision of history here OK angry angry angry

1 Like

Re: Awolowo,Azikiwe And Aminu Kano Boycotted 1979 Presidential Debate by Nobody: 12:56pm On Jan 30, 2015
ok, did they also spend only 57.13 minutes speaking in 34 states? i wonder what he must have told you guys in 1 minutes to convince y'all that he's the best for the job shocked

1 Like

Re: Awolowo,Azikiwe And Aminu Kano Boycotted 1979 Presidential Debate by omenka(m): 12:56pm On Jan 30, 2015
AlfaSeltzer:
berem and buhari taking us to the past. Off with the old and in with the new.

This is 2015. If you can't talk to Nigerians in front of TV and answer simple questions, then you can't rule Nigerians. Simples.
Buhari will talk to Nigerians but not through TAN NTA or AIT. Period.

Anyone who doesn't like that can take a mop and head straight to the atlantic ocean. grin
Re: Awolowo,Azikiwe And Aminu Kano Boycotted 1979 Presidential Debate by Nobody: 12:57pm On Jan 30, 2015
1979 minus 2015 that was 36 years ago. This is 21st century hon Buhari must not miss that debate

2 Likes

Re: Awolowo,Azikiwe And Aminu Kano Boycotted 1979 Presidential Debate by seggs101(m): 12:57pm On Jan 30, 2015
I am an object, i wrote NECO in
1967, wen they've nt formed
the body, i snapped a coloured
picture in 1967 wen itz
supposd 2 b black n white, i
wore agbada,eyeglass es and
cap instead of skul uni4m 4
NECO registration, my result is
with d military n i dnt av a
photocopy of it..WHAT AM I ??[color=#000099][/color]
Re: Awolowo,Azikiwe And Aminu Kano Boycotted 1979 Presidential Debate by Huffington: 12:58pm On Jan 30, 2015
berem:
In case you can no longer find your History
books, Obafemi Awolowo, the Great Zik, Aminu
Kano et al boycotted the 1979 presidential
debate organised by the NTA.
On what premise did they boycott the debate?
The same reasons as given by GMB/APC.
Without any bias, the late Owelle of Onitsha, was
the best orator among his political peers in those
days.
Would he have chickened out when he knew he
was going to have a field day debating out his
opponents?
Ditto to Awo! Everybody knew Awo was deep and
highly cerebral,visionary and scholastic to the
core. As a lawyer, his communication strength
was excellent.
So, why did he decline to debate with Shehu
Shagari, a man known for his sublime taciturnity?
As it was then, so it is now.
We have fundamental challenges with our social
institutions.
And this is not limited to the federal government
alone.
The states are also involved..
I've come to realise that social institutions get
compromised by a particular leader in power until
he's no longer there.
This is wrong and must be condemned by every
rational being.
Beyond condemnation, we must strive hard to
restructure the country in a way that our
institutions will stand out at any point in time
regardless of who the president or governor is.

Culled from Dayo Williams on Facebook
They shunned the debate because the did not want to confront each other.

That is different from today where Buhari shunned the debate because he dey fear make dem no ask am about him wasc certificate and because he no sabi speak turenchi.
Re: Awolowo,Azikiwe And Aminu Kano Boycotted 1979 Presidential Debate by Nobody: 12:58pm On Jan 30, 2015
berem:
don't mind him. Last time he shunned 2011 debate and was seeing debating with D'banj. This time around,he alone will debate with Don Jazzy.
grin grin
or Tonto Dike grin grin grin
Re: Awolowo,Azikiwe And Aminu Kano Boycotted 1979 Presidential Debate by stigman(m): 12:59pm On Jan 30, 2015
This is not 1979, I personal want to hear from Buhari likewise all the people that have the interest of this country at heart, let him and GEJ stand face to face, we want to hear from them
Re: Awolowo,Azikiwe And Aminu Kano Boycotted 1979 Presidential Debate by mymadam(m): 1:00pm On Jan 30, 2015
atlwireles:

Who was president, after the election? No revision of history here OK angry angry angry

You've forgotten 2/3? Okay, to some, it must seem like a million years ago! I perfectly understand. wink Ask OBJ for an insight. Remain blessed buddy. God bless Nigeria.
Re: Awolowo,Azikiwe And Aminu Kano Boycotted 1979 Presidential Debate by Nobody: 1:00pm On Jan 30, 2015
Huffington:
They shunned the debate because the did not want to confront each other.

That is different from today where Buhari shunned the debate because he dey fear make dem no ask am about him wasc certificate and because he no sabi speak turenchi.
is that what the article said?
Re: Awolowo,Azikiwe And Aminu Kano Boycotted 1979 Presidential Debate by Ikwokrikwo: 1:00pm On Jan 30, 2015
mymadam:

Did they really? On the 2/3 (two-thirds) saga? Ha, ha, ha! God bless Nigeria.
Buhari could also lose for not getting 25% in 2/3 of the states. Who knows?
Re: Awolowo,Azikiwe And Aminu Kano Boycotted 1979 Presidential Debate by atlwireles: 1:01pm On Jan 30, 2015
mymadam:

You've forgotten 2/3? Okay, to some, it must seem like a million years ago! I perfectly understand. wink Ask OBJ for an insight. Remain blessed buddy. God bless Nigeria.

Who won the election, that's the simple question that needs a straight forward answer.
Re: Awolowo,Azikiwe And Aminu Kano Boycotted 1979 Presidential Debate by Nobody: 1:02pm On Jan 30, 2015
hmmmm
Re: Awolowo,Azikiwe And Aminu Kano Boycotted 1979 Presidential Debate by Nobody: 1:02pm On Jan 30, 2015
stigman:
This is not 1979, I personal want to hear from Buhari likewise all the people that have the interest of this country at heart, let him and GEJ stand face to face, we want to hear from them
Jonathan ran away from confronting Buhari in 2011 in a presidential debate. Get an unbiased media outfit to anchor the debate. We don't want NTA and AIT
Re: Awolowo,Azikiwe And Aminu Kano Boycotted 1979 Presidential Debate by nwabekeyi101: 1:03pm On Jan 30, 2015
maestroferddi:
Why get stuck in the past?

Hypocrite.

1 Like

Re: Awolowo,Azikiwe And Aminu Kano Boycotted 1979 Presidential Debate by NewNigeriaMind: 1:03pm On Jan 30, 2015
AlfaSeltzer:
berem and buhari taking us to the past. Off with the old and in with the new.

This is 2015. If you can't talk to Nigerians in front of TV and answer simple questions, then you can't rule Nigerians. Simples.

old kwa....why did jumbo jonathan avoided the debate in 2011.
Re: Awolowo,Azikiwe And Aminu Kano Boycotted 1979 Presidential Debate by maestroferddi: 1:04pm On Jan 30, 2015
bellychiz:
1979 minus 2015 that was 36 years ago. This is 21st century hon Buhari must not miss that debate
Is that an order?!

Make dem no catch you issuing an order to their "General"...
Re: Awolowo,Azikiwe And Aminu Kano Boycotted 1979 Presidential Debate by NewNigeriaMind: 1:04pm On Jan 30, 2015
stigman:

Yes, we will debate only when we are dealing with a neutral body. a debate set up by NTA and AIT is no debate but a charade.

APC is too sophisticated to fall for that trap.
Re: Awolowo,Azikiwe And Aminu Kano Boycotted 1979 Presidential Debate by AlfaSeltzer(m): 1:04pm On Jan 30, 2015
NewNigeriaMind:

old kwa....why did jumbo jonathan avoided the debate in 2011.

You mean Buhari is copying Jonathan? Is that the change you people are shouting about?

3 Likes

Re: Awolowo,Azikiwe And Aminu Kano Boycotted 1979 Presidential Debate by maestroferddi: 1:05pm On Jan 30, 2015
nwabekeyi101:

Hypocrite.
Excuse me...?
Re: Awolowo,Azikiwe And Aminu Kano Boycotted 1979 Presidential Debate by Nobody: 1:05pm On Jan 30, 2015
berem:
[s]In case you can no longer find your History
books, Obafemi Awolowo, the Great Zik, Aminu
Kano et al boycotted the 1979 presidential
debate organised by the NTA.
On what premise did they boycott the debate?
The same reasons as given by GMB/APC.
Without any bias, the late Owelle of Onitsha, was
the best orator among his political peers in those
days.
Would he have chickened out when he knew he
was going to have a field day debating out his
opponents?
Ditto to Awo! Everybody knew Awo was deep and
highly cerebral,visionary and scholastic to the
core. As a lawyer, his communication strength
was excellent.
So, why did he decline to debate with Shehu
Shagari, a man known for his sublime taciturnity?
As it was then, so it is now.
We have fundamental challenges with our social
institutions.
And this is not limited to the federal government
alone.
The states are also involved..
I've come to realise that social institutions get
compromised by a particular leader in power until
he's no longer there.
This is wrong and must be condemned by every
rational being.
Beyond condemnation, we must strive hard to
restructure the country in a way that our
institutions will stand out at any point in time
regardless of who the president or governor is.

Culled from Dayo Williams on Facebook[/s]

Story for the dogs, bokobinhari should come out boldly and tell us how he intends to "change" Nigeria and fighta kwuropchan. undecided undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: Awolowo,Azikiwe And Aminu Kano Boycotted 1979 Presidential Debate by mesh409: 1:05pm On Jan 30, 2015
This is the kind of change we want when our president if possible will be taking us back to what happened in 1979,it is obvious that Buhari wants to take us back to the past.If you know about 21st century democracy i plead you come out and tell us the change you stand for..

1 Like

Re: Awolowo,Azikiwe And Aminu Kano Boycotted 1979 Presidential Debate by nwabekeyi101: 1:06pm On Jan 30, 2015
PDP and saTAN said we should forget the past but wont stop spamming the forum with Old Newspaper article of Buhari's regime. Shameless hypocrites.

1 Like

Re: Awolowo,Azikiwe And Aminu Kano Boycotted 1979 Presidential Debate by Nobody: 1:06pm On Jan 30, 2015
NewNigeriaMind:

Yes, we will debate only when we are dealing with a neutral body. a debate set up by NTA and AIT is no debate but a charade.

APC is too sophisticated to fall for that trap.

Ok, the APC should set up their own debate so that we can hear what buhari has to offer us.
Re: Awolowo,Azikiwe And Aminu Kano Boycotted 1979 Presidential Debate by retsonbiz(m): 1:06pm On Jan 30, 2015
GEJ NO Show in 2011 and Later Debated Himself.

Ran Away from NN24 and only debated self in AIT/NTA.......Buhari did Just than to him in 2015....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Buhari’s First 5 Days After Return / Rivers: Man Counted As Dead During APC Campaign Rally Regains Consciousness / Buhari Hosts Mark Rutte, Netherland Prime Minister In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.