Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,246 members, 7,807,837 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:23 PM

Awolowo,Azikiwe And Aminu Kano Boycotted 1979 Presidential Debate - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Awolowo,Azikiwe And Aminu Kano Boycotted 1979 Presidential Debate (19471 Views)

See A Photo Of N1 Note That Was Used In 1979 When $1 Was Equal To N0.647 / Throwback Picture Of Nnamdi Azikiwe And Nkrumah In The 1960s / Photo: Obasanjo With His First Wife Remi(Mama Iyabo) Taking Breakfast In 1979 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Awolowo,Azikiwe And Aminu Kano Boycotted 1979 Presidential Debate by PhockPhockMan: 1:35pm On Jan 30, 2015
berem:
In case you can no longer find your History
books, Obafemi Awolowo, the Great Zik, Aminu
Kano et al boycotted the 1979 presidential
debate organised by the NTA.
On what premise did they boycott the debate?
The same reasons as given by GMB/APC.
Without any bias, the late Owelle of Onitsha, was
the best orator among his political peers in those
days.
Would he have chickened out when he knew he
was going to have a field day debating out his
opponents?
Ditto to Awo! Everybody knew Awo was deep and
highly cerebral,visionary and scholastic to the
core. As a lawyer, his communication strength
was excellent.
So, why did he decline to debate with Shehu
Shagari, a man known for his sublime taciturnity?
As it was then, so it is now.
We have fundamental challenges with our social
institutions.
And this is not limited to the federal government
alone.
The states are also involved..
I've come to realise that social institutions get
compromised by a particular leader in power until
he's no longer there.
This is wrong and must be condemned by every
rational being.
Beyond condemnation, we must strive hard to
restructure the country in a way that our
institutions will stand out at any point in time
regardless of who the president or governor is.

Culled from Dayo Williams on Facebook
Coincidentally, all that shunned debate like Buhari, ended up as losers.

#IchooseGEJ

1 Like

Re: Awolowo,Azikiwe And Aminu Kano Boycotted 1979 Presidential Debate by DonaldGenes(m): 1:36pm On Jan 30, 2015
bellychiz:
1979 minus 2015 that was 36 years ago. This is 21st century hon Buhari must not miss that debate

Without being told, You should know that this debate is a sham twisted and skewed to favour Mr.President..

Use your brain to envisage
Re: Awolowo,Azikiwe And Aminu Kano Boycotted 1979 Presidential Debate by amtalkin(f): 1:37pm On Jan 30, 2015
This is 2015 haba!
Buhari with his old coconut brain...
Re: Awolowo,Azikiwe And Aminu Kano Boycotted 1979 Presidential Debate by Nobody: 1:38pm On Jan 30, 2015
Adekar:
Did Oga jona show face for 2011 debate?

No he did not show up. So on that basis Buhari will not attend in 2015 right? Is this the kind of change APC is seeking? He is now copying Jonathan. Is APC Change or copy copy?

It is obvious that some people might not like Jonathan because of one or two mistakes he made but as a political scientist, I Can assure You that GEJ will win.

People might not vote Jonathan but they will certainly vote against Buhari especially we Igbos that left the North, he burnt down our houses, killed dozens while we were in Church worshiping Jesus. . . I Can still feel the pains. Thousands were killed because of the utterances Buhari made.

Why must It be Buhari, why not other notherners with integrity.

Please wisen up Nigeria.
Re: Awolowo,Azikiwe And Aminu Kano Boycotted 1979 Presidential Debate by Nobody: 1:44pm On Jan 30, 2015
berem:
days.
opponents?
was excellent.
institutions.
alone.
he's no longer there.
rational being.

Since APC says that they are in for a change, that means they wish to do things differently from the pdp, why then are they bycotting the debate? Why are they bringing the old stuffs since they wanna change naija? For the fact that Zik of Africa bycotted debate in 1979 doesn't mean the so called agents of change should do the same? I want change too but bycotting the debate means the pdp n apc are same thieves

1 Like

Re: Awolowo,Azikiwe And Aminu Kano Boycotted 1979 Presidential Debate by maestroferddi: 1:45pm On Jan 30, 2015
nwabekeyi101:

So we shouldnt get stuck in the past right? But you are always here telling us about how Buhari jail some Ibo politician in the past, your hypocrisy is legendary.
Tell me what could be more preposterous than trying to correlate the decision of some political leaders to shun a debate in the past with Buhari's well-documented sordid past?

Can't you see that you are fast losing it...?
Re: Awolowo,Azikiwe And Aminu Kano Boycotted 1979 Presidential Debate by condralbede(m): 1:45pm On Jan 30, 2015
AlfaSeltzer:
berem and buhari taking us to the past. Off with the old and in with the new.

This is 2015. If you can't talk to Nigerians in front of TV and answer simple questions, then you can't rule Nigerians. Simples.
#Fact...1979 is not 2015,beside they all failed too.

1 Like

Re: Awolowo,Azikiwe And Aminu Kano Boycotted 1979 Presidential Debate by mu2sa2: 1:47pm On Jan 30, 2015
The debate is useles and a waste of time. The candidates are already going round the country and selling their programs. The debate wont change anything as people hav made up their minds on the candidates. lf you doubt this u may as well say if chekwas okorie "won" the debate he will go ahead and win the presidential election.

1 Like

Re: Awolowo,Azikiwe And Aminu Kano Boycotted 1979 Presidential Debate by OrlandoOwoh(m): 1:49pm On Jan 30, 2015
atlwireles:
Good to know, they all lost the election too. grin grin grin
The election was rigged.
When you go get sense?
Re: Awolowo,Azikiwe And Aminu Kano Boycotted 1979 Presidential Debate by atlwireles: 1:51pm On Jan 30, 2015
OrlandoOwoh:

The election was rigged.
When you go get sense?

Oluwole liar, lying since the days of your father.
Re: Awolowo,Azikiwe And Aminu Kano Boycotted 1979 Presidential Debate by caprini1: 1:52pm On Jan 30, 2015
berem:
the same reason why the debate was shunned in 1979 is the same Buhari is shunning the debate. So who's fault is it?
But dear,half of Nigerias population,if not more had no access to Television in 1979.

1 Like

Re: Awolowo,Azikiwe And Aminu Kano Boycotted 1979 Presidential Debate by OrlandoOwoh(m): 1:53pm On Jan 30, 2015
Buhari will attend if Channels organizes it and Christaine Amanpour of CNN anchors it.
Re: Awolowo,Azikiwe And Aminu Kano Boycotted 1979 Presidential Debate by OrlandoOwoh(m): 1:54pm On Jan 30, 2015
caprini1:
But dear,half of Nigerias population,if not more had no access to Television in 1979.
But they had radio sets.
Re: Awolowo,Azikiwe And Aminu Kano Boycotted 1979 Presidential Debate by henrysam(m): 1:55pm On Jan 30, 2015
I still continue to wonder why apc is forcing somebody like buhari on us. Is there no credible person again in their party. This is 21st century for crying out loud.
I think the dabate is about asking questions and answering why is somebody. A would be president of the populous nation in Africa running from question and answer.
If he were to meet obama, Cameron and others he will send Osinbajo or cancel the meeting.
The last itme I checked NEDSG sent message to the public to send question to them.
Allah buhari and his surporters are insulting our intelligence.
Re: Awolowo,Azikiwe And Aminu Kano Boycotted 1979 Presidential Debate by OrlandoOwoh(m): 1:55pm On Jan 30, 2015
atlwireles:

Oluwole liar, lying since the days of your father.
You keep saying the same thing. You've been programmed like ROBOT Mugabe.
Re: Awolowo,Azikiwe And Aminu Kano Boycotted 1979 Presidential Debate by atlwireles: 1:57pm On Jan 30, 2015
OrlandoOwoh:

You keep saying the same thing. You've been programmed like ROBOT Mugabe.

You are a liar, a certified congenital liar, a shameless Oluwole fraudster, lying over this forum. Now, Go and die.
Re: Awolowo,Azikiwe And Aminu Kano Boycotted 1979 Presidential Debate by OrlandoOwoh(m): 1:58pm On Jan 30, 2015
henrysam:
I still continue to wonder why apc is forcing somebody like buhari on us. Is there no credible person again in their party. This is 21st century for crying out loud.
I think the dabate is about asking questions and answering why is somebody. A would be president of the populous nation in Africa running from question and answer.
If he were to meet obama, Cameron and others he will send Osinbajo or cancel the meeting.
The last itme I checked NEDSG sent message to the public to send question to them.
Allah buhari and his surporters are insulting our intelligence.
Buhari won the primary election of APC. It's high time you got that into your skull. Stop saying the party should have imposed a younger candidate, as if you've not made up your mind to vote Jonathan.
Re: Awolowo,Azikiwe And Aminu Kano Boycotted 1979 Presidential Debate by nwabekeyi101: 1:58pm On Jan 30, 2015
[s]
maestroferddi:
Tell me what could be more preposterous than trying to correlate the decision of some political leaders to shun a debate in the past with Buhari's well-documented sordid past?

Can't you see that you are fast losing it...?
[/s]

STFU you hypocrites. Rubbish
Re: Awolowo,Azikiwe And Aminu Kano Boycotted 1979 Presidential Debate by Nobody: 2:01pm On Jan 30, 2015
caprini1:
who told you that?
The problem is not access to a TV set,the problem is getting an unbiased media outfit the anchor the debate. That's what we want!
Re: Awolowo,Azikiwe And Aminu Kano Boycotted 1979 Presidential Debate by Splashme: 2:11pm On Jan 30, 2015
atlwireles:
[size=25pt]Good to know, they all lost the election too[/size]. grin grin grin

Hahahaha . . . you took the words out from my mouth
Re: Awolowo,Azikiwe And Aminu Kano Boycotted 1979 Presidential Debate by gabicon: 2:12pm On Jan 30, 2015
History merely repeats itself until men learn from history and take adequate steps to change it.
Re: Awolowo,Azikiwe And Aminu Kano Boycotted 1979 Presidential Debate by caprini1: 2:16pm On Jan 30, 2015
berem:
who told you that?
The problem is not access to a TV set,the problem is getting an unbiased media outfit the anchor the debate. That's what we want!
You right anyway,but I really wish Buhari should partake in a debate,cos a lot of us that grew up in d 80,s really need some form of real assurance from him.
Re: Awolowo,Azikiwe And Aminu Kano Boycotted 1979 Presidential Debate by naso2(m): 2:18pm On Jan 30, 2015
"Good" one. like I said before, my problem is not Buhari's age , but the age of his ideas.

An outdated candidate banking on a 36 year old approach to win elections. Now the electorate are much more informed, someone wants to become president by mouthing "I will pfight kwaruption" as his only agenda.

lol
Re: Awolowo,Azikiwe And Aminu Kano Boycotted 1979 Presidential Debate by caprini1: 2:19pm On Jan 30, 2015
OrlandoOwoh:

But they had radio sets.
If you know the restrictions on TV sets and Radios at that time ehn by the owners grin
Re: Awolowo,Azikiwe And Aminu Kano Boycotted 1979 Presidential Debate by toshmann(m): 2:19pm On Jan 30, 2015
berem:
days.
opponents?
was excellent.
institutions.
alone.
he's no longer there.
rational being.

And they won the election, right? cheesy . . . Uhm. . . Ehm. . . . ahm. . . no they didnt, THEY LOST!!! grin
Re: Awolowo,Azikiwe And Aminu Kano Boycotted 1979 Presidential Debate by Nobody: 2:20pm On Jan 30, 2015
DonaldGenes:

Without being told, You should know that this debate is a sham twisted and skewed to favour Mr.President..

Use your brain to envisage

Wharrever
Re: Awolowo,Azikiwe And Aminu Kano Boycotted 1979 Presidential Debate by legendsilver(m): 2:22pm On Jan 30, 2015
berem:
days.
opponents?
was excellent.
institutions.
alone.
he's no longer there.
rational being.

#BuhariMustNotDebate
Re: Awolowo,Azikiwe And Aminu Kano Boycotted 1979 Presidential Debate by Nobody: 2:23pm On Jan 30, 2015
maestroferddi:
Is that an order?!

Make dem no catch you issuing an order to their "General"...

Ehen make them come I full ground grin
Re: Awolowo,Azikiwe And Aminu Kano Boycotted 1979 Presidential Debate by dhsfbi(m): 2:27pm On Jan 30, 2015
OrlandoOwoh:
Buhari will attend if Channels organizes it and Christaine Amanpour of CNN anchors it.
Amanpour will disgrace all of them
Re: Awolowo,Azikiwe And Aminu Kano Boycotted 1979 Presidential Debate by lagdmark(m): 2:28pm On Jan 30, 2015
APC taken us back to our pre-independent era, instead seeing the future the more reason they always clinch to men like Buhari
Re: Awolowo,Azikiwe And Aminu Kano Boycotted 1979 Presidential Debate by OrlandoOwoh(m): 2:28pm On Jan 30, 2015
caprini1:
If you know the restrictions on TV sets and Radios at that time ehn by the owners grin
Your thought is not well relayed in your comment. Could you modify it for me to reply you accordingly?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Court Drops Murder Charges Against The 15yr-old Child-bride Who Killed Her Hubby / Buhari’s First 5 Days After Return / Ooni Of Ife Advice Kingsley Moghalu To ‘fire On’, We Are Proud Of You.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.