Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,580 members, 7,809,105 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:16 PM

Do You Think Students Should Stop Wearing Uniforms? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Do You Think Students Should Stop Wearing Uniforms? (4206 Views)

Female Students Should Stop Cooking For Their Boyfriends - Zambian Minister / What If Nigerian Female Students Wore This As School Uniforms? (see Photo) / FUNAAB Students Write Final Year Exams In Their Secondary School Uniforms (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Think Students Should Stop Wearing Uniforms? by Nobody: 2:12pm On Jan 30, 2015
People say wearing a uniform in school makes you look more organised or intelligent...that's a load of crap. Intelligence comes from the mind not from the body. All schools public and private have a dress code...some are at reasonable to buy for kids while others are at ridiculous prices that parents can only afford to buy 1 set when 3-4 sets are necessary.

In this county where poverty is one of the main reasons behind proper education, isnt it better where we follow an education system that doesnt require looking like military barracks. Let everyone be free to wear what they want in a reasonable manner while they get to learn.
Re: Do You Think Students Should Stop Wearing Uniforms? by delishpot: 2:13pm On Jan 30, 2015
Nope. I like Uniforms
Re: Do You Think Students Should Stop Wearing Uniforms? by Nobody: 2:20pm On Jan 30, 2015
delishpot:
Nope. I like Uniforms

Give me a reason where uniforms can gain something for students where wearing normal clothes can't....
Re: Do You Think Students Should Stop Wearing Uniforms? by delishpot: 2:24pm On Jan 30, 2015
saratumohd:

Give me a reason where uniforms can gain something for students where wearing normal clothes can't....

With Uniform you can control the style and appearance of all students. With uniform no competition among students as per who wears designers anD who buys from bend down select. Parents are not pressured to privide new clothes for kids who may be embarassed to wear same set of clothes too offten
It limits bullying or feeling of inferiority for students whose parents are not up to par financialy and thus cant afford to spend on trending clothes and shoes.
Uniforms help kids to focus on school and help parents save cash and energy spend on buying and maintaining mufti
Re: Do You Think Students Should Stop Wearing Uniforms? by Nobody: 2:27pm On Jan 30, 2015
saratumohd:

you wan make secondary school students start looking like ashawos.

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Students Should Stop Wearing Uniforms? by Nobody: 2:36pm On Jan 30, 2015
delishpot has answered it to the best of my knowledge.

In addition to that, imagine the discrimination uniformed students create amongst themselves (untidy looking students vs. clean well-presented ones)? Imagine that happening ten-fold if uniforms are discontinued.

Wearing uniforms is the best option for schools below tertiary level.

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Students Should Stop Wearing Uniforms? by Nobody: 2:40pm On Jan 30, 2015
delishpot:

With Uniform you can control the style and appearance of all students. With uniform no competition among students as per who wears designers anD who buys from bend down select. Parents are not pressured to privide new clothes for kids who may be embarassed to wear same set of clothes too often
It limits bullying or feeling of inferiority for students whose parents are not up to par financialy and thus cant afford to spend on trending clothes and shoes.
Uniforms help kids to focus on school and help parents save cash and energy spend on buying and maintaining mufti

All this is talk about maintaining IMAGE....so i guess the american system of education is the worst in the world then. True there is a competition among students on who gets to wear the best clothes and those who get bullied from the tattered ones they wear....lol believe me there is no difference with the uniforms either. students who wear the brand new sets and those who got hand-me-downs are no different.

students have a million things to focus on, its not just the clothes they wear that distracts them...
And since when does it help save parent's money, some school uniforms cost more that the electricity bill!
Re: Do You Think Students Should Stop Wearing Uniforms? by Nobody: 2:44pm On Jan 30, 2015
charix:
delishpot has answered it to the best of my knowledge.

In addition to that, imagine the discrimination uniformed students create amongst themselves (untidy looking students vs. clean well-presented ones)? Imagine that happening ten-fold if uniforms are discontinued.

Wearing uniforms is the best option for schools below tertiary level.

Have you ever taken the time to look closely at uniforms in schools either, there's discrimination there too. The one who wears the faded almost tattered version because of the number of time he/she wore it from lack of spares to the always crisp and neat looking one. This is everywhere...i have seen it, it shows, so i don't see the difference.
Re: Do You Think Students Should Stop Wearing Uniforms? by delishpot: 2:44pm On Jan 30, 2015
saratumohd:

All this is talk about maintaining IMAGE....so i guess the american system of education is the worst in the world then. True there is a competition among students on who gets to wear the best clothes and those who get bullied from the tattered ones they wear....lol believe me there is no difference with the uniforms either. students who wear the brand new sets and those who got hand-me-downs are no different.

students have a million things to focus on, its not just the clothes they wear that distracts them...
And since when does it help save parent's money, some school uniforms cost more that the electricity bill!

Ok o. I am a parent. My kids attend school that doesnt use uniform now. I know the difference and the pressure mufti puts on students and their parents.
Re: Do You Think Students Should Stop Wearing Uniforms? by Nobody: 2:46pm On Jan 30, 2015
delishpot:

Ok o. I am a parent. My kids attend school that doesnt use uniform now. I know the difference and the pressure mufti puts on students and their parents.

And have ur kids grades down by any chance?...are they being bullied, what's the problem?
Re: Do You Think Students Should Stop Wearing Uniforms? by delishpot: 2:47pm On Jan 30, 2015
saratumohd:

Have you ever taken the time to look closely at uniforms in schools either, there's discrimination there too. The one who wears the faded almost tattered version because of the number of time he/she wore it from lack of spares to the always crisp and neat looking one. This is everywhere...i have seen it, it shows, so i don't see the difference.

Its easy for a poor student to be neat and tidy and hide the fact that she does not have money when students are uniformed unlike when its wear your best clothes to schood all day all year round.
Re: Do You Think Students Should Stop Wearing Uniforms? by delishpot: 2:51pm On Jan 30, 2015
saratumohd:

And have ur kids grades down by any chance?...are they being bullied, what's the problem?

They are not bullied, mine are still young, 7 and 4. But the bigger ones I know complain about having to wear same clothes toi frequently, ask for this shoe or that bag and are embarassed to be seen by certain class mates when they are not in "New" clothes.
Besides, clothes dont affect studies in any way, its the effect of the clothes and what it may do to the kids that affects studies. So the fact that my kid wears prada and diamond does not mean she cant learn or can learn,
Re: Do You Think Students Should Stop Wearing Uniforms? by Nobody: 2:53pm On Jan 30, 2015
saratumohd:

so parroting my comment did what exactly? undecided

"imagine the discrimination uniformed students create amongst themselves (untidy looking students vs. clean well-presented ones)?"
Re: Do You Think Students Should Stop Wearing Uniforms? by Nobody: 2:56pm On Jan 30, 2015
delishpot:

Its easy for a poor student to be neat and tidy and hide the fact that she does not have money when students are uniformed unlike when its wear your best clothes to schood all day all year round.

Then how is it that after all these centuries the american system has not failed in this fact....it has its many flaws just like any, but it still used and nobody has complained about it.
Re: Do You Think Students Should Stop Wearing Uniforms? by delishpot: 2:58pm On Jan 30, 2015
saratumohd:

Then how is it that after all these centuries the american system has not failed in this fact....it has its many flaws just like any, but it still used and nobody has complained about it.

This is a debate o. So far I have given my reasons in favour of Uniforms, can those against it please tell us why they say no to school uniforms?
To enlighten us more. Maybe there is something I am missing who knows?
Re: Do You Think Students Should Stop Wearing Uniforms? by Nobody: 2:59pm On Jan 30, 2015
charix:

so parroting my comment did what exactly? undecided

"imagine the discrimination uniformed students create amongst themselves (untidy looking students vs. clean well-presented ones)?"

are you reading correctly...ur talking about UNuniformed students, im talking about the UNiformed ones there is discrimination in IN BOTH parts
Re: Do You Think Students Should Stop Wearing Uniforms? by Nobody: 3:10pm On Jan 30, 2015
delishpot:

This is a debate o. So far I have given my reasons in favour of Uniforms, can those against it please tell us why they say no to school uniforms?
To enlighten us more. Maybe there is something I am missing who knows?

School uniforms can restrict student's freedom of expression, they are limited to what they can wear.Like the islamic students, cannot cover their heads for fear of suspension, or detention

There is little evidence that school uniforms provide any benefits to education or self-esteem at all

School uniforms is driven by commercial interests (advertisement) rather than educational ones....So the uniforms look nice, but that's just it..it looks nice but it does not scream good education.

Focusing on uniforms takes attention away from finding genuine solutions to ACTUAL problems in educational systems, or facilities, like classrooms, equipment, teaching staff, books etc
Re: Do You Think Students Should Stop Wearing Uniforms? by delishpot: 3:19pm On Jan 30, 2015
saratumohd:

School uniforms can restrict student's freedom of expression, they are limited to what they can wear.Like the islamic students, cannot cover their heads for fear of suspension, or detention

There is little evidence that school uniforms provide any benefits to education or self-esteem at all

School uniforms is driven by commercial interests (advertisement) rather than educational ones....So the uniforms look nice, but that's just it..it looks nice but it does not scream good education.

Focusing on uniforms takes attention away from finding genuine solutions to ACTUAL problems in educational systems, or facilities, like classrooms, equipment, teaching staff, books etc

I do not believe the introduction of school uniforms was meant for marketing. Schools, govt free education schools o. used uniforms wayyyy before Private schools were set up(These are the ones with expensive Uniforms I believe) and in the era when schools were not competing for students. It was mainly state or missionary run schools and many villages had only 1 even a few had none and students trecked from their villages to the next to get educated. So, I do not know why you believe uniforms were used as cash making tool. I have not seen any where in the world where school uniform interupts the provision of quality education. The removal of uniforms will not help in a sitiation where the school doesnt care about the quality of education its students recieve.
No one said Uniforms make for good edication or vice versa. I am just saying Uniforms help keep control on the appearance of the students and keeps every one on the same level. Ok, if scho uniforms were free, would you have supported it?
Re: Do You Think Students Should Stop Wearing Uniforms? by Nobody: 3:33pm On Jan 30, 2015
delishpot:

I do not believe the introduction of school uniforms was meant for marketing. Schools, govt free education schools o. used uniforms wayyyy before Private schools were set up(These are the ones with expensive Uniforms I believe) and in the era when schools were not competing for students. It was mainly state or missionary run schools and many villages had only 1 even a few had none and students trecked from their villages to the next to get educated. So, I do not know why you believe uniforms were used as cash making tool. I have not seen any where in the world where school uniform interupts the provision of quality education. The removal of uniforms will not help in a sitiation where the school doesnt care about the quality of education its students recieve.
No one said Uniforms make for good edication or vice versa. I am just saying Uniforms help keep control on the appearance of the students and keeps every one on the same level. Ok, if scho uniforms were free, would you have supported it?

The things you speak of are about the past...and uniforms are a thing of advertisement now...schools are competing against each other to see who will get the most students especially when parents see how "good" the uniforms look...please tell me when you look at a brochure or billboard advertisement of a new school, isnt the first thing you see are students lined up in neat now in crisp looking uniforms...that is the 1st thing that draws the attention to most parents even before they look at the classrooms or what kind of books the children read.

Keeping tight control on what students wear is like keeping prisoners or soldiers in place. Uniforms may have a detrimental effect on students' self-image. When students have to wear the same thing over and over, rather than being allowed to select clothes that suit their body types, they can suffer embarrassment at school.
Re: Do You Think Students Should Stop Wearing Uniforms? by delishpot: 3:41pm On Jan 30, 2015
saratumohd:

The things you speak of are about the past...and uniforms are a thing of advertisement now...schools are competing against each other to see who will get the most students especially when parents see how "good" the uniforms look...please tell me when you look at a brochure or billboard advertisement of a new school, isnt the first thing you see are students lined up in neat now in crisp looking uniforms...that is the 1st thing that draws the attention to most parents even before they look at the classrooms or what kind of books the children read.

Keeping tight control on what students wear is like keeping prisoners or soldiers in place. Uniforms may have a detrimental effect on students' self-image. When students have to wear the same thing over and over, rather than being allowed to select clothes that suit their body types, they can suffer embarrassment at school.

Body shape ke? Self image destroyed for wearing uniform ke? Uniform makes students feel like prisoners ke? It makes students not feel free ke? Shey dem want dress like denrele ni? grin oh well, what do I know. I wore uniforms and never for once did I feel imprisoned, never for once did I not be myself. last time I checked uniforms were not straight jackets.
I never knew parents picked schools for their kids based on only uniforms o. Last I knew, parents picked schools based on performance of the students. Parents asked collegues,and friends about schools and watch the performance of other kids ie, best jamb, best ssce, best debate group etc, before deciding on which school to put kids in.

BTW if you show me two schools with the same quality of education one with kids neatly dressed in uniform and the other with kids dressed" as thou wilt" I will go for the uniformed school no double thinking.
Re: Do You Think Students Should Stop Wearing Uniforms? by Nobody: 3:54pm On Jan 30, 2015
delishpot:

Body shape ke? Self image destroyed for wearing uniform ke? Uniform makes students feel like prisoners ke? It makes students not feel free ke? Shey dem want dress like denrele ni? grin oh well, what do I know. I wore uniforms and never for once did I feel imprisoned, never for once did I not be myself. last time I checked uniforms were not straight jackets.
I never knew parents picked schools for their kids based on only uniforms o. Last I knew, parents picked schools based on performance of the students. Parents asked collegues,and friends about schools and watch the performance of other kids ie, best jamb, best ssce, best debate group etc, before deciding on which school to put kids in.

BTW if you show me two schools with the same quality of education one with kids neatly dressed in uniform and the other with kids dressed" as thou wilt" I will go for the uniformed school no double thinking.

LOL i can on on with this, it is ur opinion, i respect it...U wore uniform in your school and never felt distracted...i went to school that did not wear uniforms and another one that did not...and i can say that i greatly appreciated the one that did not as opposed to the one that did..some of my worst memories of high school life were related to uniforms.

But you are the only person i seem to be having this debate with...i would like to know what others think, but thank you for ur responses smiley
Re: Do You Think Students Should Stop Wearing Uniforms? by delishpot: 3:55pm On Jan 30, 2015
saratumohd:

LOL i can on on with this, it is ur opinion, i respect it...U wore uniform in your school and never felt distracted...i went to school that did not wear uniforms and another one that did not...and i can say that i greatly appreciated the one that did not as opposed to the one that did..some of my worst memories of high school life were related to uniforms.

But you are the only person i seem to be having this debate with...i would like to know what others think, but thank you for ur responses smiley

Yeah, lets see what others have to say. Then you give.me my prize grin
Re: Do You Think Students Should Stop Wearing Uniforms? by Nobody: 9:16am On Jan 31, 2015
delishpot:

Yeah, lets see what others have to say. Then you give.me my prize grin

don't expect a shiny gold medal kiss
Re: Do You Think Students Should Stop Wearing Uniforms? by Nobody: 12:58pm On Jan 31, 2015
As I suspected, it was a troll. A lesson has been learned here: Never feed the trolls.
Re: Do You Think Students Should Stop Wearing Uniforms? by liveyourlife: 1:22pm On Jan 31, 2015
Almost everyone here ^^^^^^^^ are saying lubbish!

The simple answer is YES!

Aside: Since lots of us are clamouring to adopt a white man innovation, let's also try this that's widely in use in Indonesia - http://
Re: Do You Think Students Should Stop Wearing Uniforms? by chalo08(f): 3:46pm On Feb 04, 2015
charix:
As I suspected, it was a troll. A lesson has been learned here: Never feed the trolls.

I am not a troll....that is if ur talking about my deleted account...i was trying to change my username but couldnt so i had to deactivate it...I made my arguments clear and you have said nothing to support or oppose it, so i suggest you keep your lewd comments to urself if it doesnt concern the subject at matter. grin

(1) (Reply)

Facts That Will Impress Your Friends / Documents Needed For Final Clearance (UNILORIN) / Nursery 1 First Term Scheme Of Work Social Habits

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.