Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,896 members, 7,802,881 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:21 AM

Why Doesn't Ict Company In Nigeria Allow Or Encourage Remote Employment/work - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Why Doesn't Ict Company In Nigeria Allow Or Encourage Remote Employment/work (1352 Views)

Hiring Full-time Remote React.js Developers / Urgent!!!!! Startup Company In Need Of an APP DEVELOPER For Ios And Android / Who Has An Idea On How To Build A Remote Desktop File? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Doesn't Ict Company In Nigeria Allow Or Encourage Remote Employment/work by guru01(m): 2:14pm On Jan 30, 2015
Just curious to know! Good to hear from the bosses.
Re: Why Doesn't Ict Company In Nigeria Allow Or Encourage Remote Employment/work by Nobody: 2:27pm On Jan 30, 2015
We're not sophisticated to the level. Its a combination of poor infrastructure and archaic thinking.

Most employers believe working from home would make one lazy and unable to meet deadlines.
I marvel seeing and hearing former classmates boast how they work from home overseas. Try to tell anyone in Nigeria you work from home and they immediately conclude "yahoo yahoo".

6 Likes

Re: Why Doesn't Ict Company In Nigeria Allow Or Encourage Remote Employment/work by Urine: 2:53pm On Jan 30, 2015
charix:
We're not sophisticated to the level. Its a combination of poor infrastructure and archaic thinking.

Most employers believe working from home would make one lazy and unable to meet deadlines.
I marvel seeing and hearing former classmates boast how they work from home overseas. Try to tell anyone in Nigeria you work from home and they immediately conclude "yahoo yahoo".

Well said.

1 Like

Re: Why Doesn't Ict Company In Nigeria Allow Or Encourage Remote Employment/work by guru01(m): 3:01pm On Jan 30, 2015
charix:

You are right sir
Re: Why Doesn't Ict Company In Nigeria Allow Or Encourage Remote Employment/work by guru01(m): 3:05pm On Jan 30, 2015
My thought is that they think you might be cheating them by doing other jobs. I think they love to see you hustle and sweat for the money so that they can justify what they are paying you for.

2 Likes

Re: Why Doesn't Ict Company In Nigeria Allow Or Encourage Remote Employment/work by Craigston: 7:54pm On Jan 30, 2015
In summary: Archaic Mentality.
Re: Why Doesn't Ict Company In Nigeria Allow Or Encourage Remote Employment/work by guru01(m): 11:29pm On Jan 30, 2015
Let's hear from the bosses themselves, please contribute
Re: Why Doesn't Ict Company In Nigeria Allow Or Encourage Remote Employment/work by josieboy55(m): 12:53am On Jan 31, 2015
charix:

Infact my neighbour's are already thinking towards dat path, because from morning to night my car is packed no movement, and my gen working 24 - 7.

1 Like

Re: Why Doesn't Ict Company In Nigeria Allow Or Encourage Remote Employment/work by Nobody: 5:29am On Jan 31, 2015
In Nigeria, your bosses want to make your life miserable just so that you can appreciate the job better. This is one of the things that tire me in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Why Doesn't Ict Company In Nigeria Allow Or Encourage Remote Employment/work by guru01(m): 4:52pm On Jan 31, 2015
dhtml18:
In Nigeria, your bosses want to make your life miserable just so that you can appreciate the job better. This is one of the things that tire me in Nigeria.
Smh embarassed
Re: Why Doesn't Ict Company In Nigeria Allow Or Encourage Remote Employment/work by Fulaman198(m): 5:24pm On Feb 01, 2015
charix:

Loll there are some companies in Nigeria that allow remote working from home. The majority do not though. You are absolutely correct though for the most part.

Anyone in ICT has the ability to work from home. As long as you have reliable internet connectivity and have access to your company VPN, I don't see the problem, but like you said many people possess archaic thinking.

It is my goal to push this country forward beyond that hopefully if I ever get some position of power. This country is definitely not where it should be in technological prowess despite all the brilliant minds we possess.
Re: Why Doesn't Ict Company In Nigeria Allow Or Encourage Remote Employment/work by guru01(m): 7:16am On Feb 02, 2015
Fulaman198:

Loll there are some companies in Nigeria that allow remote working from home. The majority do not though. You are absolutely correct though for the most part.

Anyone in ICT has the ability to work from home. As long as you have reliable internet connectivity and have access to your company VPN, I don't see the problem, but like you said many people possess archaic thinking.

It is my goal to push this country forward beyond that hopefully if I ever get some position of power. This country is definitely not where it should be in technological prowess despite all the brilliant minds we possess.
Thanks for your contribution.

1 Like

Re: Why Doesn't Ict Company In Nigeria Allow Or Encourage Remote Employment/work by Fulaman198(m): 4:56pm On Feb 02, 2015
guru01:

Thanks for your contribution.

Thank you for the thread
Re: Why Doesn't Ict Company In Nigeria Allow Or Encourage Remote Employment/work by barapistis(m): 10:28pm On Feb 06, 2015
There are still lots of issues guys..1.our best is still amost 2 decade behind in ict resource
2.the mental and cultural setting of the ogas does not support it yet
3.internet connectivity is still a big concerne
Although i have not worked at the peak of ict in nigeria
i have done other jobs in server and data centers
So muchdistrubtion like the pulling of cables,fire ,and inexperienced hands contribute to why we cant have it for now
Re: Why Doesn't Ict Company In Nigeria Allow Or Encourage Remote Employment/work by Fulaman198(m): 5:47am On Feb 07, 2015
barapistis:
There are still lots of issues guys..1.our best is still amost 2 decade behind in ict resource
2.the mental and cultural setting of the ogas does not support it yet
3.internet connectivity is still a big concerne
Although i have not worked at the peak of ict in nigeria
i have done other jobs in server and data centers
So muchdistrubtion like the pulling of cables,fire ,and inexperienced hands contribute to why we cant have it for now

You do realize that you are overexaggerating with Nigeria being 2 decades behind in ICT. At most, Nigeria is a decade behind. Not that it's a good thing, but some of the things you mentioned are a major concern.

1. Internet connectivity needs to become more widespread to ALL Nigerians.
2. Electricity needs to improve
3. Nigeria needs to end corruption in order to seek goals 1 and 2 and make it a top priority to become a supreme technologically advanced nation. Only by acknowledging its own weakness can Nigeria improve. If we get useless leaders out of power things for sure will change.

(1) (Reply)

Is There A Market For A Nigerian Social Media App ?? / Learn Programming In Just 1 Month. / How Can I Convert An Online Android App To Offline?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.