Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,589 members, 7,809,131 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:36 AM

LOCAL RAPPERS vs LOCAL RAPPERS : An Article By Amechi 'Double Six' Okoli - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / LOCAL RAPPERS vs LOCAL RAPPERS : An Article By Amechi 'Double Six' Okoli (1818 Views)

Hottest 10 Hausa Rappers 2016 / It Vocal VS Local Rapper ? / BUHARI VS 50 CENT - 7 THINGS IN COMMON: BY AMECHI OKOLI (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

LOCAL RAPPERS vs LOCAL RAPPERS : An Article By Amechi 'Double Six' Okoli by phatwall: 11:06am On Jan 31, 2015
Wassup folks !!! Good music lovers and even haters alike, been a while since I wrote anything concerning music, pardon me,I've just been caught up in the studio making beats (hope say una miss me sha)
Anywayz I was listening to the radio sometime last week and Reminisce's new track 'Local Rappers' was premiered(that was the first time I ever heard it) The joint features rap heavyweights Olamide & Phyno - Dope stuff I must say, the beat was banging and .... and .... and .... well basically that was it for me, the beat. OK let me be honest,all three MCs delivered correctly(as they usually do) but my turn-off was the message being passed, the message condemning/criticising and trying to belittle punchline rappers. Wait a minute!!! Ain't these three niggaz punchline rappers? YES THEY ARE !!! Abeg wait, I dey perceive something *sniffs in the air* Yeah I perceive hypocrisy !!!
They used lines like 'punchline no dey bring money' Olamide & Phyno rapped those words in Yoruba and Ibo respectively and am like , why would punchline rappers of their status verbally shit on one of the elements that made them stand out as lyricists in the first place? also those lines seem like subliminal disses to every rapper out there who has ever made use of a punchline(including themselves) Talk about shooting yourself in the foot!
I picked out another line from 'The Man Of Year' Phyno , he said rappers speaking 'phonetics' should tell him what they mean. That line led me to believe that he was referring to 'English rapping' MCs. All three indigenous lyricists on the track made it clear that 'Local' rappers are the ones 'eating' now. I agree and disagree at the same time.
I agree cos rappers like Nigga Raw,Olamide,Jah Bless,Zoro,Dagrin,Lord Of Ajasa,Phyno,Reminisce,Hype MC,MC Loph,Slow Dogg etc who all rap in their various native tongues have done well with their careers(though on different levels of success and longevity) and I disagree cos rappers like Sauce Kid,Vector,Mode 9,Iceprince,Young 6ix,Jesse Jagz,Ruggedman,Eldee Tha Don,Freestyle,2Shotz,Sasha P,Naeto C & M.I Abaga(who is probably Nigeria's most successful rapper) don't rap in their native tongues and they did/are doing very well with their careers(still , on different levels of success and longevity) hold on ... as am even writing this article now sef Emmy Gee's hit song 'Rands & Naira' is being played right now on Sound City !!! You wan tell me say the song no blow? The song wasn't done in Ibo,Hausa or Yoruba , there was barely any pidgin English on it sef, it's just a cool jam that people love and even you Phyno(Yes You) dem feature you for the remix na, abi
na lie? Or is 'Rands & Naira' a so-called 'Local' jam? No it isn't , but you rapped on the remix bro, you did, same type o' jam y'all criticised on 'Local Rappers' So you see the reason why I just don't get it.
Y'all shouldn't get me wrong ooo! (well I really don't care if you do) I have nothing against native tongue rappers,i actually love the new dimension they brought to Naija rap music, am a fan of Reminisce and a bigger fan of Phyno(maybe cos am Ibo) but for the first time since I've known Reminisce & Phyno, I did not dig the content of their lyrics (Hold on, you guys must be wondering why I didn't say am a fan of Olamide abi? ) Badoo !!! *In Olamide's voice'
Here's the thing, all 3 MCs on the track(Reminisce,Olamide & Phyno) are A-List Naija rappers who have millions of fans and influence on the hip hop scene in this part of the world so up-coming rappers(who rap in English) would have their work cut-out for them if the average,myopic,inside-the-box,follow-the-trend fans out there have been brainwashed to believe that their style of rap ain't cool,thereby knocking their hustle and killing their creativity(that's if they're not tough enough)
Knocking another man's hustle wasn't cool back then,it ain't cool now and it will never be cool a billion years from now.
I be hip hop head,you sef be hip hop head,wether Mr A raps like this and Mr B raps like that or Mr A uses this type of beat and Mr B uses that type of beat, it doesn't matter, to each man his own, do what works for you and let the next man do what works for him,no need throwing shots(wether direct or subliminal) cos at the end of the day we're all Nigerian rappers, LOCAL thinking GLOBAL so why local go dey fight local?
I guess that's why rap in Nigeria will always be 2nd best to other genres. You can't hear Iyanya criticising Banky W's type of music but rappers go dey criticise other rappers , that's HORSESHIT !!!
In 2009 I featured Terry Tha Rapman on a song titled 'Oyibo Man' and it addresses this issue thoroughly (I suggest you Google search and download it by the way,it's on so many top Naija music blogs and the joint is dope !!! - that's if you don't already have it)
Yo Reminisce,Phyno,Olamide am looking forward to some new dope joints from y'all , bangers like Ise Yen,Too Much,Alobam & Ghost Mode ... Cos I ain't banging 'Local Rappers'
With that being said lemme finish my beer (before e hot finish) while I listen to M.I 's 'BAD BELLE' . You know why? Cos IZ ALLOWED !!!

Amechi 'Double Six' Okoli
Twitter - @IamDoubleSix

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: LOCAL RAPPERS vs LOCAL RAPPERS : An Article By Amechi 'Double Six' Okoli by ejikeme(m): 11:43am On Jan 31, 2015
said.....

1 Like

Re: LOCAL RAPPERS vs LOCAL RAPPERS : An Article By Amechi 'Double Six' Okoli by lanaVello1(m): 11:50am On Jan 31, 2015
Point understood tho I agree with them more than i disagree. Look at the likes of modenine and vector,they are both awesome rapper but u think they are rewarded lesser than they deserve. Reminisce and the rest were just trying to say that street rap is the norm atm! In other words,right now,punchlines and wordplays aint as commercial as street rap and i agree. Regarding shooting themselves in the foot,reminisce is more of a flows person...olamide hardly does real rap now,i could call him a singer or entertainer...phyno is just there!

1 Like

Re: LOCAL RAPPERS vs LOCAL RAPPERS : An Article By Amechi 'Double Six' Okoli by buccal(m): 11:59am On Jan 31, 2015
Rappers for you.they lie a lot and say they are what they are not.they diss too.part of rapping.imagine an upcoming rapper singing in the studio...I gat loads of money,i got range in my car park.when he hasn't even completed the money to book a session.

1 Like

Re: LOCAL RAPPERS vs LOCAL RAPPERS : An Article By Amechi 'Double Six' Okoli by phatwall: 12:55pm On Jan 31, 2015
Rap needs more unity in Naija
Re: LOCAL RAPPERS vs LOCAL RAPPERS : An Article By Amechi 'Double Six' Okoli by bionicman: 5:03pm On Jan 31, 2015
They are hot right now and making money, they should not look down on punchlines , cos they all throw punchlines in local dialet, did they say english punchlines, english rappers in Nigeria are good but more people relate more with local dialet.
Re: LOCAL RAPPERS vs LOCAL RAPPERS : An Article By Amechi 'Double Six' Okoli by phatwall: 5:22am On Feb 07, 2015
In my opinion good music is good music regardless if language.
Re: LOCAL RAPPERS vs LOCAL RAPPERS : An Article By Amechi 'Double Six' Okoli by phatwall: 8:14am On Feb 19, 2015
Regardless of methods,topic and or radio friendliness.. GOOD MUSIC IS GOOD MUSIC !!!
Re: LOCAL RAPPERS vs LOCAL RAPPERS : An Article By Amechi 'Double Six' Okoli by thaXYZ: 11:49am On Feb 19, 2015
This topic doesn't need an article. But I can understand how listeners feel about this. Thing is, it's all a game of time... Every rapper comes to brag about their god-level authoritative stance, esply when they are currently caking, in the words of MI it's allowed. As all of the names mentioned their time will go and some other younger and wacker and dumber rapper would come and say some disgusting lines about them. Their fans will be thoroughly upset by then. It's a cycle. It's code.

1 Like

Re: LOCAL RAPPERS vs LOCAL RAPPERS : An Article By Amechi 'Double Six' Okoli by Undilutedfact: 12:17pm On Feb 19, 2015
Get your mind Blown away, listen to the rap track #Gangariya via this link:
http://alonetone.com/thrilllz/tracks
or
http://alonetone.com/thrilllz/tracks/thrillz-gangariya-medium-1.mp3
Re: LOCAL RAPPERS vs LOCAL RAPPERS : An Article By Amechi 'Double Six' Okoli by funmo(m): 2:26pm On Feb 20, 2015
Re: LOCAL RAPPERS vs LOCAL RAPPERS : An Article By Amechi 'Double Six' Okoli by ejiro2130(m): 2:45pm On Feb 20, 2015
This obviously shows how divided nigerian society is, everybody wants to listen to songs from their tribe, not minding the quality of their lyrics

I remember attending a party in Enugu all I heard was phyno wizboy and psqaure...

Listen to phyno closely and the dude is way way overrated
Re: LOCAL RAPPERS vs LOCAL RAPPERS : An Article By Amechi 'Double Six' Okoli by Wyclefniranz(m): 3:42pm On Feb 20, 2015
phatwall:
Wassup folks !!! Good music lovers and even haters alike, been a while since I wrote anything concerning music, pardon me,I've just been caught up in the studio making beats (hope say una miss me sha)
Anywayz I was listening to the radio sometime last week and Reminisce's new track 'Local Rappers' was premiered(that was the first time I ever heard it) The joint features rap heavyweights Olamide & Phyno - Dope stuff I must say, the beat was banging and .... and .... and .... well basically that was it for me, the beat. OK let me be honest,all three MCs delivered correctly(as they usually do) but my turn-off was the message being passed, the message condemning/criticising and trying to belittle punchline rappers. Wait a minute!!! Ain't these three niggaz punchline rappers? YES THEY ARE !!! Abeg wait, I dey perceive something *sniffs in the air* Yeah I perceive hypocrisy !!!
They used lines like 'punchline no dey bring money' Olamide & Phyno rapped those words in Yoruba and Ibo respectively and am like , why would punchline rappers of their status verbally shit on one of the elements that made them stand out as lyricists in the first place? also those lines seem like subliminal disses to every rapper out there who has ever made use of a punchline(including themselves) Talk about shooting yourself in the foot!
I picked out another line from 'The Man Of Year' Phyno , he said rappers speaking 'phonetics' should tell him what they mean. That line led me to believe that he was referring to 'English rapping' MCs. All three indigenous lyricists on the track made it clear that 'Local' rappers are the ones 'eating' now. I agree and disagree at the same time.
I agree cos rappers like Nigga Raw,Olamide,Jah Bless,Zoro,Dagrin,Lord Of Ajasa,Phyno,Reminisce,Hype MC,MC Loph,Slow Dogg etc who all rap in their various native tongues have done well with their careers(though on different levels of success and longevity) and I disagree cos rappers like Sauce Kid,Vector,Mode 9,Iceprince,Young 6ix,Jesse Jagz,Ruggedman,Eldee Tha Don,Freestyle,2Shotz,Sasha P,Naeto C & M.I Abaga(who is probably Nigeria's most successful rapper) don't rap in their native tongues and they did/are doing very well with their careers(still , on different levels of success and longevity) hold on ... as am even writing this article now sef Emmy Gee's hit song 'Rands & Naira' is being played right now on Sound City !!! You wan tell me say the song no blow? The song wasn't done in Ibo,Hausa or Yoruba , there was barely any pidgin English on it sef, it's just a cool jam that people love and even you Phyno(Yes You) dem feature you for the remix na, abi
na lie? Or is 'Rands & Naira' a so-called 'Local' jam? No it isn't , but you rapped on the remix bro, you did, same type o' jam y'all criticised on 'Local Rappers' So you see the reason why I just don't get it.
Y'all shouldn't get me wrong ooo! (well I really don't care if you do) I have nothing against native tongue rappers,i actually love the new dimension they brought to Naija rap music, am a fan of Reminisce and a bigger fan of Phyno(maybe cos am Ibo) but for the first time since I've known Reminisce & Phyno, I did not dig the content of their lyrics (Hold on, you guys must be wondering why I didn't say am a fan of Olamide abi? ) Badoo !!! *In Olamide's voice'
Here's the thing, all 3 MCs on the track(Reminisce,Olamide & Phyno) are A-List Naija rappers who have millions of fans and influence on the hip hop scene in this part of the world so up-coming rappers(who rap in English) would have their work cut-out for them if the average,myopic,inside-the-box,follow-the-trend fans out there have been brainwashed to believe that their style of rap ain't cool,thereby knocking their hustle and killing their creativity(that's if they're not tough enough)
Knocking another man's hustle wasn't cool back then,it ain't cool now and it will never be cool a billion years from now.
I be hip hop head,you sef be hip hop head,wether Mr A raps like this and Mr B raps like that or Mr A uses this type of beat and Mr B uses that type of beat, it doesn't matter, to each man his own, do what works for you and let the next man do what works for him,no need throwing shots(wether direct or subliminal) cos at the end of the day we're all Nigerian rappers, LOCAL thinking GLOBAL so why local go dey fight local?
I guess that's why rap in Nigeria will always be 2nd best to other genres. You can't hear Iyanya criticising Banky W's type of music but rappers go dey criticise other rappers , that's HORSESHIT !!!
In 2009 I featured Terry Tha Rapman on a song titled 'Oyibo Man' and it addresses this issue thoroughly (I suggest you Google search and download it by the way,it's on so many top Naija music blogs and the joint is dope !!! - that's if you don't already have it)
Yo Reminisce,Phyno,Olamide am looking forward to some new dope joints from y'all , bangers like Ise Yen,Too Much,Alobam & Ghost Mode ... Cos I ain't banging 'Local Rappers'
With that being said lemme finish my beer (before e hot finish) while I listen to M.I 's 'BAD BELLE' . You know why? Cos IZ ALLOWED !!!

Amechi 'Double Six' Okoli
Twitter - @IamDoubleSix_ @
but u neva tell us why u aren't a fan of olamide

1 Like

Re: LOCAL RAPPERS vs LOCAL RAPPERS : An Article By Amechi 'Double Six' Okoli by Akin1212(m): 10:44pm On Feb 20, 2015
buccal:
Rappers for you.they lie a lot and say they are what they are not.they diss too.part of rapping.imagine an upcoming rapper singing in the studio...I gat loads of money,i got range in my car park.when he hasn't even completed the money to book a session.
Not all rappers are like that, the art of rap I know and follow is 'say what's real'....... Like I wanna be rich someday, i'll get a piece to shoot ur ass down, Jah bless ma hustle.. You dig?
Well we are different, some may lie
Re: LOCAL RAPPERS vs LOCAL RAPPERS : An Article By Amechi 'Double Six' Okoli by Ignatio(m): 11:01pm On Feb 21, 2015
thaXYZ:
This topic doesn't need an article. But I can understand how listeners feel about this. Thing is, it's all a game of time... Every rapper comes to brag about their god-level authoritative stance, esply when they are currently caking, in the words of MI it's allowed. As all of the names mentioned their time will go and some other younger and wacker and dumber rapper would come and say some disgusting lines about them. Their fans will be thoroughly upset by then. It's a cycle. It's code.

Well put. Every trending rapper always think he's better than everybody till the music stops.

1 Like

Re: LOCAL RAPPERS vs LOCAL RAPPERS : An Article By Amechi 'Double Six' Okoli by phatwall: 7:41am On Feb 22, 2015
Real talk , rappers on top be acting like gods!!!
Re: LOCAL RAPPERS vs LOCAL RAPPERS : An Article By Amechi 'Double Six' Okoli by classick: 1:08pm On May 20, 2016
Nice write-up
well done Double Six, you nailed it spot on !!!

(1) (Reply)

Top 8 Nigerian-american Music Collaborations You Should Know / AUDIO: Davido – If (prod. Tekno) / Airforce1 Drops New Jamz "Oya Na" Audio

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.