Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,475 members, 7,808,722 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:59 PM

Kill Bill Vo.1 - Philosophical Edition? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Kill Bill Vo.1 - Philosophical Edition? (8735 Views)

Philosophical Reflections: The Other Side Of Reality / A Philosophical Explanation For The Incarnation Of Christ / A Must Read Philosophical Sermon (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Kill Bill Vo.1 - Philosophical Edition? by Kay17: 5:55pm On May 07, 2015
Is there any responsibility for inaction?
Re: Kill Bill Vo.1 - Philosophical Edition? by JustCare: 8:52pm On May 07, 2015
***double post***
Re: Kill Bill Vo.1 - Philosophical Edition? by Nobody: 1:27pm On May 24, 2015
Kay17:
I was thinking, assuming the single individual was Socrates -- cornerstone of Western civilization and the remaining five were ordinary peasants; wouldn't greater good change from numbers to value.

This made me smile. If memory serves, I believe it was his student, Plato, that came from Greek Aristocracy. Being as he was a 'lowly' stone mason of common birth, Socrates qualified as little more than a peasant himself. It's just as well, since I would've argued that value cannot be placed on a soul by birth or station alone. Socrates the 'peasant' makes that argument for me sufficiently enough, I'd say.
Re: Kill Bill Vo.1 - Philosophical Edition? by Nobody: 3:05pm On May 24, 2015
EnlightenedSoul:

This made me smile. If memory serves, I believe it was his student, Plato, that came from Greek Aristocracy. Being as he was a 'lowly' stone mason of common birth, Socrates qualified as little more than a peasant himself. It's just as well, since I would've argued that value cannot be placed on a soul by birth or station alone

Are you atheist now? Because religions teach that value can be placed by birth alone.
Re: Kill Bill Vo.1 - Philosophical Edition? by adamskutty(m): 10:39pm On May 24, 2015
Una still dey here?? grin Didn't know enlightenedsoul is still alive o grin grin
Re: Kill Bill Vo.1 - Philosophical Edition? by Nobody: 12:25am On May 25, 2015
fellis:

Are you atheist now? Because religions teach that value can be placed by birth alone.

Please, elaborate.
Re: Kill Bill Vo.1 - Philosophical Edition? by Nobody: 12:43am On May 25, 2015
adamskutty:
Una still dey here?? grin Didn't know enlightenedsoul is still alive o grin grin

Hello Adam. And how are you??

Life...
Re: Kill Bill Vo.1 - Philosophical Edition? by Nobody: 1:54am On May 25, 2015
LordReed:

Are you saying you act without considering the consequences? So in considering the man whose organs can save five people, will convincing him to give his organs be more acceptable as an action? Also how is your inaction in the train scene free of the "accusation" of considering consequence? Finally if consequence is not such a "big deal" why not let the armed men have their way and leave?

Well, I'm no mother Theresa (thankfully enough, since as it turns out she was not indeed as saintly as popular opinion would have us believe), but to the best of my ability, I deliberate on the action itself. Consequences are not often uniform, and cannot serve as an apt judge between right, wrong, and gray area, IMHO. For instance, good actions can and often do have bad consequences, and vice versa. No, I tend to first consider the action.

On the healthy unattached man whose organs can save five people, I would consider so-called 'convincing' him give up his life a form of coercion. I'm of the mind that he'd have to come to that conclusion fully himself, and even then that does not free us from having to contemplate the follow-up (the moral question of whether or not the acting surgeon should openly accept such a request).

My choice of inaction is based on the antithetical action of otherwise actively involving myself in the murder of individual(s) removed from the scenario I presently find myself in.

Before the armed men could've been condemned to their fate by the intended future consequences of the their action, ie, rape and other aforementioned crimes (of which unless announced or implied, I couldn't have been fully aware of anyhow), they were condemned to it by the threat of the present action itself (armed trespassing). I would do well to address the present threat/action before analyzing or imagining its possible consequences, don't you think?

Hoping you find yourself well, LordReed.

1 Like

Re: Kill Bill Vo.1 - Philosophical Edition? by adamskutty(m): 10:32am On May 25, 2015
EnlightenedSoul:

Hello Adam. And how are you??

Life...

Fine.

Enlightened shuka! shuka! u were greatly missed, come take a welcome back hug. grin
Re: Kill Bill Vo.1 - Philosophical Edition? by Nobody: 1:08pm On May 25, 2015
EnlightenedSoul:

Well, I'm no mother Theresa (thankfully enough, since as it turns out she was not indeed as saintly as popular opinion would have us believe)

Really , I always thought she is the modern definition of sainthood.
Re: Kill Bill Vo.1 - Philosophical Edition? by Nobody: 4:12pm On May 25, 2015
EnlightenedSoul:

Please, elaborate.
Abeg no vex, forget I said that.
Re: Kill Bill Vo.1 - Philosophical Edition? by pesty100(m): 9:22pm On May 25, 2015
What is bill doing alive kill zee nigga
Re: Kill Bill Vo.1 - Philosophical Edition? by Nobody: 7:22am On May 26, 2015
fellis:

Abeg no vex, forget I said that.

Did you mean by the way of legitimate and 'illegitimate' births? I was catching up on GOT when it occurred to me...when Sansa was taunting that vile Bolton kid about his true 'bastard' status.
Re: Kill Bill Vo.1 - Philosophical Edition? by Nobody: 7:24am On May 26, 2015
adamskutty:

Fine.

Enlightened shuka! shuka! u were greatly missed, come take a welcome back hug. grin

Thanks, Adam smiley
Re: Kill Bill Vo.1 - Philosophical Edition? by LordReed(m): 11:01am On May 26, 2015
EnlightenedSoul:

Well, I'm no mother Theresa (thankfully enough, since as it turns out she was not indeed as saintly as popular opinion would have us believe), but to the best of my ability, I deliberate on the action itself. Consequences are not often uniform, and cannot serve as an apt judge between right, wrong, and gray area, IMHO. For instance, good actions can and often do have bad consequences, and vice versa. No, I tend to first consider the action.

On the healthy unattached man whose organs can save five people, I would consider so-called 'convincing' him give up his life a form of coercion. I'm of the mind that he'd have to come to that conclusion fully himself, and even then that does not free us from having to contemplate the follow-up (the moral question of whether or not the acting surgeon should openly accept such a request).

My choice of inaction is based on the antithetical action of otherwise actively involving myself in the murder of individual(s) removed from the scenario I presently find myself in.

Before the armed men could've been condemned to their fate by the intended future consequences of the their action, ie, rape and other aforementioned crimes (of which unless announced or implied, I couldn't have been fully aware of anyhow), they were condemned to it by the threat of the present action itself (armed trespassing). I would do well to address the present threat/action before analyzing or imagining its possible consequences, don't you think?

Hoping you find yourself well, LordReed.

I am well, hope you are too.

Well said however I must ask you why you'd consider taking life in one scenario but not in the other.
Re: Kill Bill Vo.1 - Philosophical Edition? by LordReed(m): 11:10am On May 26, 2015
Kay17:
I was thinking, assuming the single individual was Socrates -- cornerstone of Western civilization and the remaining five were ordinary peasants; wouldn't greater good change from numbers to value.

I think that the real problem is how we perceive value. Without the benefit of hindsight/foresight/clairvoyance to know the particular value of an individual most of us would default to considering higher numbers as having higher value. Also consider that not everyone values western civilization highly, for such a person Socrates will not carry a significantly different value to any of the other individuals.
Re: Kill Bill Vo.1 - Philosophical Edition? by Nobody: 12:23pm On May 26, 2015
LordReed:

Well said however I must ask you why you'd consider taking life in one scenario but not in the other.

Do you consider the two scenarios identical? One and the same?
Re: Kill Bill Vo.1 - Philosophical Edition? by Nobody: 12:30pm On May 26, 2015
neoapocalypse:

Really , I always thought she is the modern definition of sainthood.

I would liken her to a sadist before I'd liken to a saint. Although, if you look into the past of certain other so-called 'saints', it may leave you wondering as to whether or not the word 'saint' hasn't been code for 'sadist' all along shocked
Re: Kill Bill Vo.1 - Philosophical Edition? by Nobody: 6:25pm On May 26, 2015
EnlightenedSoul:

Did you mean by the way of legitimate and 'illegitimate' births?
That's just one of the many different ways. By gender is another way.
Re: Kill Bill Vo.1 - Philosophical Edition? by LordReed(m): 9:12pm On May 26, 2015
EnlightenedSoul:

Do you consider the two scenarios identical? One and the same?
We are examining the action of taking life aren't we?
Re: Kill Bill Vo.1 - Philosophical Edition? by Nobody: 12:53am On May 27, 2015
fellis:

That's just one of the many different ways.
By gender is another way.

I hear ya.

1 Like

Re: Kill Bill Vo.1 - Philosophical Edition? by Nobody: 1:29pm On May 27, 2015
LordReed:

We are examining the action of taking life aren't we?

Yes, we are. But having explained the reason for my inaction, do the two scenarios strike you as identical? That I shouldn't mind either way, I mean?

LordReed:

Re: Kill Bill Vo.1 - Philosophical Edition? by LordReed(m): 3:04pm On May 27, 2015
EnlightenedSoul:

Yes, we are. But having explained the reason for my inaction, do the two scenarios strike you as identical? That I shouldn't mind either way, I mean?

What I am trying to understand is you said you primarily consider the action. One scenario you take life while in another you don't, I want to understand why you say you consider the action when there is no difference in the action of taking life.
Re: Kill Bill Vo.1 - Philosophical Edition? by Nobody: 3:05pm On May 28, 2015
LordReed:

What I am trying to understand is you said you primarily consider the action. One scenario you take life while in another you don't, I want to understand why you say you consider the action when there is no difference in the action of taking life.

There is a marked difference in my view. Actively changing the course of the track makes the act of murder that much more deliberate. With that action, I have laid claim to a situation I don't believe I was at liberty to. My conscience would suffer for it all the more.
Re: Kill Bill Vo.1 - Philosophical Edition? by LordReed(m): 6:04pm On May 28, 2015
EnlightenedSoul:

There is a marked difference in my view. Actively changing the course of the track makes the act of murder that much more deliberate. With that action, I have laid claim to a situation I don't believe I was at liberty to. My conscience would suffer for it all the more.

Uhh, murder? Is that how that scenario should be described? Also am I to understand that in considering action your conscience plays a pivotal role?
Re: Kill Bill Vo.1 - Philosophical Edition? by Nobody: 8:35am On May 30, 2015
LordReed:

Uhh, murder? Is that how that scenario should be described?

Taking a life...
Murder...

Yet another 'tomato'?

Also am I to understand that in considering action your conscience plays a pivotal role?

I see where you're going with that, but I'd argue that is has everything to do with the principle of the matter. The conscience is merely a 'guide', though our tendency to ' follow' it would seem all but rare.

Do you find yourself in disagreement with my view?
Re: Kill Bill Vo.1 - Philosophical Edition? by LordReed(m): 11:39am On May 30, 2015
EnlightenedSoul:

Taking a life...
Murder...

Yet another 'tomato'?

I see where you're going with that, but I'd argue that is has everything to do with the principle of the matter. The conscience is merely a 'guide', though our tendency to would seem all but rare.

Do you find yourself in disagreement with my view?

No disagreement at all, merely striving to understand and to relate.
Re: Kill Bill Vo.1 - Philosophical Edition? by Nobody: 11:43am On May 30, 2015
LordReed:

No disagreement at all, merely striving to understand and to relate.

How's that working out for ya? smiley

I half suspect many people chose 'action' for the fear of having 'done nothing' otherwise. What is your reasoning if I may ask?
Re: Kill Bill Vo.1 - Philosophical Edition? by LordReed(m): 5:16am On May 31, 2015
EnlightenedSoul:

How's that working out for ya? smiley

I half suspect many people chose 'action' for the fear of having 'done nothing' otherwise. What is your reasoning if I may ask?

LoL, getting round to it.

Well I'd say the imminence of danger galvanises one's energies, not doing feels like a lost opportunity to affect the "world". If I choose to switch tracks, persuade the man or kill the marauders it is because I believe I am doing the better thing.
Re: Kill Bill Vo.1 - Philosophical Edition? by Orunto: 10:20am On May 31, 2015
The human heart carries Morals and Cultures. The Mind carries Emotions and Sentiments. The Bible says "The Mind of man is full of hatred and wickedness". When God observed this, He separated His abode from man, so He could stay comfortably away to judge man. God is the supreme judge of all humans and spirits.
Re: Kill Bill Vo.1 - Philosophical Edition? by Nobody: 3:38pm On Jun 02, 2015
LordReed:

LoL, getting round to it.

Well I'd say the imminence of danger galvanises one's energies, not doing feels like a lost opportunity to affect the "world". If I choose to switch tracks, persuade the man or kill the marauders it is because I believe I am doing the better thing.

I see.
Re: Kill Bill Vo.1 - Philosophical Edition? by adamskutty(m): 12:20am On Jun 03, 2015
cheesy cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Annunaki , Have You Read The Old Testament / Dear Christians, Why Are Developed/educated Countries Leaving Religion? / Do You Realise That We Don't Really Exist?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.